PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are done...

colargol
02-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Mike Finger: Food for Thought
Web Posted: 01/31/2008 01:59 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The word around town is that this is unprecedented. Never before in their championship era have the Spurs looked so ordinary, so unimposing, so vulnerable. The rodeo road trip was supposed to fix things, but then the other night a precocious kid on an otherwise lackluster team kept the Spurs from winning a game they should have. And now, the embarrassment and hopelessness has reached levels not seen since, well, when exactly? * * *

"(The Spurs) trudged out the locker room here looking more dazed than ever with three more games still left on a trip that coach Gregg Popovich said could potentially define the team's season ... If this was one of those proverbial 'passing of the torch' moments between big men, the 21-year-old (Dwight) Howard essentially extinguished the torch in (Tim) Duncan's grill."

—Express-News, Feb. 10, 2007 * * *
It isn't just that the Spurs are losing — it's the way they're losing. They aren't displaying the type of intensity fans are accustomed to seeing from them, and the lapses on defense make you wonder if they have what it takes to mount a serious charge. * * *

"'Those kind of things are inexcusable, unacceptable and that's when a teammate lets his team down,' Popovich said. 'That's the part I'm actually angered about — that consistency of effort, consistency of physicality, consistency of focus is not there as far as the group is concerned.

'There's always a weak link someplace, and that's not good enough.'"

—Express-News, Feb. 11, 2007 * * *

What is especially troubling is the manner in which the rest of the Western Conference has improved. If the Spurs aren't careful, they could be forced to open the playoffs on the road, and that's a thought that would have been inconceivable this late in previous seasons. Right? * * *

"Popovich said he isn't overly concerned about the Spurs' seeding. But he does want to make sure the players don't think they can simply 'turn it on' once the playoffs approach.

'As we all know, you can't do that,' Popovich said ... 'That's a ridiculous notion.'"

—Express-News, Feb. 11, 2007 * * *

With Tony Parker sidelined by an injury, Robert Horry looking ineffective and the rest of the roster in a near- constant state of flux, a new issue has emerged. Even if the Spurs can get healthy, will they be able to establish their rhythm in time to match up with Phoenix, Dallas, Los Angeles and New Orleans? It seems ages since the outlook has appeared so bleak. * * *

"The question now is whether the Spurs are capable of improving enough to consistently beat the NBA's elite teams."

—Express-News, Feb. 12, 2007 * * *

Yes, it's true the Spurs have endured pre-All-Star-break struggles before. But those past examples simply don't compare. This year looks different. * * *

"But this year looks different. This time, the Spurs don't appear to have another gear to go to."

—Express-News, Feb. 12, 2007 * * *

The thing is, this isn't just some mini-slump. These Spurs have been in a funk for more than a month, and even some of the players admit the team's prolonged period of ineffectiveness is unlike anything they have experienced before. * * *

"With four losses in their past five games and an unimpressive 10-10 record since Jan. 1, the Spurs have entered, according to Bruce Bowen, 'uncharted waters.'"

—Express-News, Feb. 13, 2007 * * *

Really, we should have seen this coming. The Spurs' roster is ancient by NBA standards, and the stars all have loads of playoff miles that were bound to catch up with them sooner or later. It was only a matter of time before they hit the wall. * * *

"(The Spurs) woke up one day and found themselves looking awfully old. ... Dynasties ... take so long to build and yet can fall apart so quickly."

—Express-News, Feb. 14, 2007 * * *

So the only logical verdict is that the Spurs' NBA reign is over. After all, which team has ever looked this terrible in the winter and still managed to win a title in the spring? * * *

"Bruce Bowen leaped into Tim Duncan's arms, Manu Ginobili wrapped Tony Parker in a long hug, and together they danced, celebrating another championship that only four months earlier seemed improbable, at best."

—Express-News, June 15, 2007 * * *

Given all of this evidence, what are we to conclude about the 2007-'08 Spurs? A championship is improbable.

At best.

Supreme_Being
02-12-2008, 08:27 AM
All I can say is this: shut the fuck up and believe.

SA Pride
02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
[Supreme Being]All I can say is this: shut the fuck up and believe.[/QUOTE]

101A
02-12-2008, 09:12 AM
All I can say is this: shut the fuck up and believe.It's a process - and one that works.

Can anyone remember the last TWO seasons the Spurs have emerged with the number 1 seed?

That's right; THOSE are the years the Spurs lost in the WCSF.

Years they "stuggle" in the regular season? Rings.

101A
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
All I can say is this: shut the fuck up and believe.You do realize those were 2007 quotes, right?

batboy
02-12-2008, 09:19 AM
The only thing that is off track is the bandwagon.

Wait, no, it's exactly where it is every winter.

ancestron
02-12-2008, 09:41 AM
back-to-back

Killakobe81
02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Spurs are not DONe not by a longshot in fact i still consider them to be the favorites out WEST ...but the Lakers, Suns and even the Mavs will be tough outs for the Spurs this year ...heck even the rockets & jazz have a good chance to beat the spurs. Manu seems to be the only one playing with consistent intensity ...Bowen and FinDog look old ...

foodie2
02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Does nobody even read?

This is a great compilation of quotes--from LAST SEASON. The point is, of course, it's not over till it's over.

sa_butta
02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
And all of those quotes came within a couple of days of each other. So the Spurs are in championship form already.

colargol
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Does nobody even read?

This is a great compilation of quotes--from LAST SEASON. The point is, of course, it's not over till it's over.

Thank you foodie2......
As the poster i was waiting for a lot of replies but readers don't even understand that it was about last year.... :spin

O-Factor
02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey, we are just doing what worked last year :lol

703 Spurz
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
San Antonio Express-News

The word around town is that this is unprecedented. Never before in their championship era have the Spurs looked so ordinary, so unimposing, so vulnerable. The rodeo road trip was supposed to fix things, but then the other night a precocious kid on an otherwise lackluster team kept the Spurs from winning a game they should have. And now, the embarrassment and hopelessness has reached levels not seen since, well, when exactly? * * *

We're 1 1/2 games from the 3 seed in the fucking conference and yet there's embarrassment here?

Where? Who wrote this piece of shit?

101A
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
San Antonio Express-News

We're 1 1/2 games from the 3 seed in the fucking conference and yet there's embarrassment here?

Where? Who wrote this piece of shit?Pay more attention.

duncan228
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
The original poster put the dates in red.
How much more obvious could it have been? :lol

sabar
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
For the slower people:

—Express-News, Feb. 10, 2007 * * *

101A
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
For the slower people:

—Express-News, Feb. 10, 2007 * * *You haven't gone far enough...they won't understand.

you have to add

The current date is: Feb. 12, 2008

jag
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm convinced that Mike Finger IS Spursdynasty.

colargol
02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :downspin: :spin
You haven't gone far enough...they won't understand.

you have to add

The current date is: Feb. 12, 2008

ancestron
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
The Spurs are REPEATING what they did last year.

himat
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
All I can say is this: shut the fuck up and believe.

I don't think it is that simple. This team is very good, but you can't believe that they will magically explode during the playoffs. You have to be rational about it. The Spurs need to turn things around ASAP, but I do agree that the Spurs are not done.