PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone miss ol' Stone Hands?

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I know. He couldn't catch passes. He didn't have Elson's speed or athletic ability. He didn't have Rasho's post defense or shotblocking ability. He sure didn't have Oberto's basketball IQ and passing ability. However, he did rebound and he could score. He was also a significant contributor to our 2005 NBA Championship title run. He also helped the Spurs match the physicality of the Pistons during that epic 7-game series.

Even though he's averaging only 7.5 pts and 6 rebs for the season, he went for 22 and 11 last night versus the Fakers.

Considering we're not getting much productivity from anyone else on our frontline, I started thinking does anyone miss this guy? I'm talking about ol' stone hands himself - Nazr Mohammed. Was his meager contributions appreciated by the masses when he was here? Just curious.

m33p0
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
would be nice to have nazr back. he can't do any worse than what elson is already doing.

E20
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
:lol

I remember he had 30 and 20 against the Suns in 2006. Nazr was decent most games, 6 and 6, but would have been better if he completed more catches and stayed out of the way in the O. He would have some exceptionally good games sometimes. I'm so and so about him.

MI21
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I appreciate his efforts in the 2005 playoffs. I loved his block on Ben Wallace in Game 7 of the Finals.

His offensive rebounding was very good, but as well all know, he had his shortcomings.

Compared to someone like Oberto, he was higher risk but higher reward. I'm so-so on him, but I always have a soft spot for someone who contributed a lot to a championship.

ancestron
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I miss Naz. He was a great offensive rebounder. I was really impressed with him at first. He and Manu really seemed to work well together at the time. I don't think the Spurs would have beaten the Pistons in the Finals if Nazr hadn't been on the team.
His decline was unfortunate. in his second year his hands transformed to silly putty.
Elson makes Nazr look like an all-star though.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
No.

I'm not convinced that the PSurs would not have won the title if we kept Rose...

... oh, and those picks that resulted in D. Lee and L. Barbosa.

Solid D
02-12-2008, 11:29 AM
No.

I'm not convinced that the PSurs would not have won the title if we kept Rose...

No. I do not miss Nazr. He contributed to the 2005 Championship.

David Lee came from the Barbosa rights trade of 2003. Mardy Collins, a year later, was the other 1st round pick from the Mohammed trade.

Spurs1234
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I was at the bobcats game when they played the spurs last month, he was talking it up with tony parker at halfcourt before the game. He kept the bobcats in the game if i remember, and the weekend before that, I saw the bobcats at pistons go into overtime, and he was awesome that game, scored well over 20 and probably didnt miss more than 3 or 4 shots. he was the type of player, if he got into a rythm, he was pretty darn good, just sometimes he could never find his niche in a game. I guess that is what seperates the men from the boys. He was a nice pickup in 2005, I think people could argue until the cows come home if the spurs would have won without him, good thing we never had to find out. At what, 8 or 9 million a year, I will take oberto and Elson anyday at half that, plus nazr was kind of slow, i like the spurs more mobile big guys, esp. in the fast western conf.

ancestron
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
so, Mohammed or Oberto?

urunobili
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
what i hate the most is that Pop shut him down for shooting a three on the playoff series against the Kings.. since then... he was taken to the doghouse and i think that was a mistake specially on the Dallas series were he played 15 min total or less on the 7 games in 2006 WCSF...i miss nazr

YoMamaIsCallin
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I totally thought your post was about Malik Rose. He was the original "stonehands"!!

The answer is, No, I do not miss Rose, nor do I miss Nazr. I think Oberto is a much better fit for today's Spurs. And both the Rose and the Nazr deals were good for the Spurs, trade-wise.

T Park
02-12-2008, 12:30 PM
what i hate the most is that Pop shut him down for shooting a three on the playoff series against the Kings.. since then... he was taken to the doghouse and i think that was a mistake specially on the Dallas series were he played 15 min total or less on the 7 games in 2006 WCSF

Then you'd fit in well with the Suns.

He was shut down for more reasons than just that game.

urunobili
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Then you'd fit in well with the Suns.

He was shut down for more reasons than just that game.
you seem so smart.. but so far you haven;t said anything but insulting me comparing me to a good fit for the suns that i am not... we're all anxious to hear you state the reasons why he was shut down... :frying: :cell

mexicanjunior
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd love to have Nazr in place of Elson at this point...

Rynospursfan
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd love to have Nazr in place of Elson at this point...

Easier said than done. Nazr makes twice what Elson does. I prefer to have Oberto and Elson than Nazr.

sabar
02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Pump fake to victory

nkdlunch
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Kevin Willis today > Elson

Vinny Del Negro
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I wonder what Mengke Bateer is up to these days.

Kermit
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Stonehands?

http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/toys/images/collector_guides/motu_class/fig_shots/fisto_f.jpg

Solid D
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I wonder what Mengke Bateer is up to these days.

:lol Stone Feet.

himat
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
The Pistons recently had him and it was on and off. He could be amazing one night and the next day he could slow down the team.

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
The Pistons recently had him and it was on and off. He could be amazing one night and the next day he could slow down the team.

That type of inconsistency, along with 'hands of stone', were the most frustrating things about Nazr.

Mitch Cumsteen
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I totally thought your post was about Malik Rose. He was the original "stonehands"!!
Funny... the first thing that popped into my head was Cadillac Anderson.

Budkin
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
F all these stiffs. Do you think DRob would come back if enough Spurs Fans begged him??

Harry Callahan
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
No.

Spurs traded their own No 1 in 2003 to Phoenix (Spurs picked Barbosa for Phoenix) his draft rights were traded to Phoenix for a future #1) - had nothing to do with the Mohammed trade from NY. Lee and Balkman were the eventual draft picks by the NYK.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Isn't he making like $8M per season or some ridiculous sum?

Solid D
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Spurs traded their own No 1 in 2003 to Phoenix (Spurs picked Barbosa for Phoenix) his draft rights were traded to Phoenix for a future #1) - had nothing to do with the Mohammed trade from NY. Lee and Balkman were the eventual draft picks by the NYK.

Lee and Mardy Collins.

angel_luv
02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't miss Nazr. But I wish him well.

Cry Havoc
02-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Oberto was an absolute BEAST against the Jazz. His ball rotation and movement were nothing short of fantastic. We didn't need him against the Cavs, and he did pretty well against the Suns.

I like Fabs. Him and Ginobili know they can turn it on any time they feel like it. Watch for that combination to heat up again in the playoffs.

mexicanjunior
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Oberto was an absolute BEAST against the Jazz. His ball rotation and movement were nothing short of fantastic. We didn't need him against the Cavs, and he did pretty well against the Suns.

I like Fabs. Him and Ginobili know they can turn it on any time they feel like it. Watch for that combination to heat up again in the playoffs.

I do like Oberto and I think the combination of him and Ginoboli is a solid rotation off the bench but....

How many effing times is Manu gonna try to feed Oberto on the pick and roll to the basket only to have him lose the ball?!?!?! Nothing makes me more crazy than seeing that happen over and over, once they start the play, I already mark it down as a turnover. I'd rather Manu just pop a contested jumper than see the ball fumbled in the air and eventually turn into a fast break for the opponent...

SenorSpur
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I do like Oberto and I think the combination of him and Ginoboli is a solid rotation off the bench but....

How many effing times is Manu gonna try to feed Oberto on the pick and roll to the basket only to have him lose the ball?!?!?! Nothing makes me more crazy than seeing that happen over and over, once they start the play, I already mark it down as a turnover. I'd rather Manu just pop a contested jumper than see the ball fumbled in the air and eventually turn into a fast break for the opponent...

Good point. I know these two have unspoken communication from their many years of playing together, but Manu does display a tendency to force a pass or two Oberto's direction - even when it's obvious it's a bad decision.