PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worried about Gasol?

phxspurfan
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
His line last night was incredible. I'm officially worried.... :depressed

pos min fgm-a 3pm-a ftm-a +/- off def tot ast pf st to bs ba pts
P.Gasol C 34:09 9-11 0-0 8-12 +14 3 3 6 6 2 0 1 2 1 26

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
No one is even talking about him.

JPB
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Who is Gasol ?

VaSpursFan
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
he's a good piece to the puzzle in LA but i'm not worried as a Spurs fan. if they were giving him away for peanuts, i wish the Spurs would have gotten in on the bidding wars...but it is what it is. no crying over spilled milk.

baseline bum
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Gasol's a great fit in LA, no question. However, I'm much more worried about Tony getting healthy. If we don't go in the playoffs with our top 3 ready to go, the Spurs could seriously be out in the first round with how stacked the West is. If TnT + Manu are 100%, I don't see anyone beating them.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd be very afraid. Not only is he a tremendous scoring threat, he adds length to the Laker froncourt, and has an opportunity to play for a championship...

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Gasol on the Grizzlies was a fine player, but soft and b1tchy. Not a franchise player.

Gasol on the Lakers is the perfect complement to Kobe, creates all sorts of matchup problems for the Spurs and has the smarts and passing ability to thrive in the triangle.

So, yeah, I am worried about Gasol... on the Lakers.

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Historically, he's had good games against the Spurs.

We'll have to wait until 4/13 to get another crack at the new-look Fakers.

Colour me as one who is officially concerned.

Mr. Body
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I am. Yes. I see the Lakes winning a championship within three years. And I think that trade was collusion.

VaSpursFan
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd be very afraid. Not only is he a tremendous scoring threat, he adds length to the Laker froncourt, and has an opportunity to play for a championship...

WGAF...i'll be concerned if we meet the Lakers in the playoffs. The West is going to be so competitive this year that the Spurs may not even see the Lakers in the playoffs.

Until then, i'm not worried about Pau.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
We'll have to wait until 4/13 to get another crack at the new-look Fakers.

well this forum is goingto be fun...

Taco's Troll
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Who is Gasol ?

I filled my tank with unleaded Gasol

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
You people keep hoing in on Gasol the individual talent or the centerpiece of the Grizzlies.

Gasol on the Lakers means less help on Kobe.

It means Bynum in man-to-man coverage.

It means Odom, Radmonovic and Fisher can hurt us more.

Remember how the Spurs would punish whoever drew Duncan's assignment?

Well, good luck Oberto/Elson/Horry.

Because even if by some miracle Gasol gets stifled, they got that Kobe guy.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Afraid of a high scoring, non-crunch time player? If anything should be clear by now, championships are not won by adding a player with the largest scoring average.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
You people keep hoing in on Gasol the individual talent or the centerpiece of the Grizzlies.

Gasol on the Lakers means less help on Kobe.

It means Bynum in man-to-man coverage.

It means Odom, Radmonovic and Fisher can hurt us more.

Remember how the Spurs would punish whoever drew Duncan's assignment?

Well, good luck Oberto/Elson/Horry.

Because even if by some miracle Gasol gets stifled, they got that Kobe guy.

So how does that improve the Lakers defensively?

Find your stones. Or grow some.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
The difference between the Lakers doing well in the playoffs and them winning it all will depend on the health of Bynum...

Weezer
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Afraid of a high scoring, non-crunch time player? If anything should be clear by now, championships are not won by adding a player with the largest scoring average.

...apparently they are won by adding guys named stoudemire...

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
So how does that improve the Lakers defensively?

Find your stones. Or grow some.
Are you an idiot?

Gasol fortifies their defense. Now they have 2 shotblockers, something the Spurs don't have.

Gasol gets you 9 boards and 2 blocks a night in the playoffs.

Who do the Lakers have to stop besides our Big 3?

They have an answer for everyone except Duncan.

But they are going to kill us at the other PF/C spot.

Go to the Playoff Matchups thread and learn something.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
...apparently they are won by adding guys named stoudemire...

Sure, vets looking for a ring like Stoudemire and Finley, Barry, Horry, etc...

Thanks for playing.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Are you an idiot?

Gasol fortifies their defense. Now they have 2 shotblockers, something the Spurs don't have.

Gasol gets you 9 boards and 2 blocks a night in the playoffs.

Who do the Lakers have to stop besides our Big 3?

They have an answer for everyone except Duncan.

But they are going to kill us at the other PF/C spot.

Go to the Playoff Matchups thread and learn something.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Idiots look to shotblocking stats to gauge a player's defensive capabilities.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Somebody made a big trade and Ghost Writer is freaking out. I've seen this one before...

http://www.americansforprosperity.org/includes/imagemanager/images/groundhogday.jpg

Actually, several times before.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Sure, vets looking for a ring like Stoudemire and Finley, Barry, Horry, etc...

Thanks for playing.

...other than finley, I havent seen any of these guys lighting it up latley..

manubili
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm more worried about Kobe getting more open spaces.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
...other than finley, I havent seen any of these guys lighting it up latley..

You've seen them with rings, have you not?

Rummpd
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
People forget that next year the Spurs add Tiago Splitter a savy draft pick and have 13 or so in expiring contracts.

One big defensive player and/or Splitter is as good as advertised and Spurs are fine.

Gasol may block a few shots and grab boards but he is still soft on defense and Duncan and others will eat him alive just like always on that end.

One can make an arguement (a strong one) the Lakers regressed severely on defense by losing Brown - he was their best defending big man - it is not just about stats!

ducks
02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
with gasol
look at odom line
he does not score

not worried

nkdlunch
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I am worried the price of gasol will climb in the summer

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
You've seen them with rings, have you not?

...they are simply filler players...other than horry and finley, the others are simply filler players and have contributed little...

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I need a Post Blocker to weed out all of Holt's Cat's remarks.

Any retard can reply to constructive criticism and validated fears with "Yeah, but the Spurs are Spurrrrrrific! We won last year! No worries! We're the best!"

Post something that's relevant, current and substantial.

You can't bury your head in the sand or talk sh1t when the Spurs are older, more injured, more complacent and less talented than the Lakers and the Suns.

It's not going to be easy.

I'll make you case for you.

Hope that Duncan can get off or maybe Parker can get his legs back and outplay his man like he did in the Finals. All of our other guys will be overmatched or heavily guarded.

Or pray that our team defense can overcome the talent disparity.

Still, I don't like how both the Lakers and the Suns have star-level talent set up to go off at multiple positions now.

Only the Spurs collective defense can save them.

P.S.

No one else on the Spurs can block shots besides Duncan. Look at our team's rank in blocked shots. Then think about some of our struggles. After that, take a bath with a toaster.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
...they are simply filler players...other than horry and finley, the others are simply filler players and have contributed little...

And yet, somehow the Spurs have 3 rings in the last 5 years. Go figure.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
...and yet they still can't figure out how to repeat...

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I wish I had the desire to dig up Ghost Writer's whiny self-loathing body of work from the last decade. Another season turns and the song remains the same.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
...and yet they still can't figure out how to repeat...

So do they have to give the O'Brien trophies back? That's a pretty fucking stupid comeback on your part.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
....in all their "greatness" and their concept of team play, you'd figure they might be able to figure out how not to fuck up the season after they manage to win the championship...

if they were truly "dominant" and a "dynasty" they would figure out how to effectively engineer a championship run in consecutive years...

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
If they weren't so good you'd think someone would have figured out how to have stopped them. Next.

fyatuk
02-12-2008, 02:23 PM

It is concerning. Gasol gives Kobe an excellent and consistent second option, and Gasol being the second option means he's softness isn't as much of an obstacle for him. When Bynum gets healthy it'll be even worse since that gives Phil the 3 pieces of the Triangle.

The Lakers have definitely jumped passed the Suns and Mavs as the scariest team, at least in my mind.

himat
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
The guy the Spurs have to worry about is Bynum. If he is not healthy come playoff time Tim Duncan will murder Gasol. If Bynum gets healthy Gasol can cover whoever the Spurs have at 5 and it will mask his weak defense.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
The past is the past.

I am a realistic Spurs fan and I know that the Spurs should not have fooled themselves into thinking that they could wheel out the same ol' tired donkey for another title after squeaking one out last year.

We don't win back-to-back, because we don't commit to getting younger or better every offseason. And we never make in-season deals that improve us (if I hear Nazr Mohammed again, someone's gonna get shot).

The Spurs should've looked at 2005 and seen that we got beat, because Dallas was younger and more athletic and healthier.

The Spurs should've looked at 2006 and seen that we won, because we avoided Dallas, got some good breaks in the Suns series and were relatively healthy in the playoffs.

That doesn't mean you go back to the well again.

You take measures like Pop is doing, by getting Manu not to play all that summer ball and shutting Parker down.

But the front office should have brought in some new talent with vigor... they don't have to be superstars... just kids with athleticism, durability and desire and a dash of talent.

Now look. We got holes at the 3 and 4, injured guys and others looking really old.

All avoidable.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
these guys figured it out...

2000 Western Conference First Round (3-1): Phoenix Suns over San Antonio Spurs

2001 Western Conference Finals Round (4-0): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

2002 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-1): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

2004 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-2): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

2006 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-3): Dallas Mavericks over San Antonio Spurs

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
these guys figured it out...

2000 Western Conference First Round (3-1): Phoenix Suns over San Antonio Spurs

Duncan not suiting up for games is a start, I suppose.

2001 Western Conference Finals Round (4-0): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

2002 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-1): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

Sure, the Shaq from 6-7 years ago on a Spurs team without Ginobili.

2004 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-2): Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio Spurs

0.4*

The Shaq of 4 years ago isn't walking through that door for the Lakers.

2006 Western Conference Semi-Finals Round (4-3): Dallas Mavericks over San Antonio Spurs

How about 2003, 2005, and 2007?

Next.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I am a realistic Spurs fan

Sig worthy.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
The past is the past.

I am a realistic Spurs fan and I know that the Spurs should not have fooled themselves into thinking that they could wheel out the same ol' tired donkey for another title after squeaking one out last year.

We don't win back-to-back, because we don't commit to getting younger or better every offseason. And we never make in-season deals that improve us (if I hear Nazr Mohammed again, someone's gonna get shot).

The Spurs should've looked at 2005 and seen that we got beat, because Dallas was younger and more athletic and healthier.

The Spurs should've looked at 2006 and seen that we won, because we avoided Dallas, got some good breaks in the Suns series and were relatively healthy in the playoffs.

You take measures like Pop is doing, by getting Manu not to play all that summer ball and shutting Parker down.

But the front office should have brought in some new talent with vigor... they don't have to be superstars... just kids with athleticism, durability and desire and a dash of talent.

Now look. We got holes at the 3 and 4, injured guys and others looking really old.

All avoidable.
Live in the now, please.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Live in the what? Your paranoid and delusional world where the Spurs haven't won 4 titles by eschewing what you have crowed about over the last 10 years?

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Duncan not suiting up for games is a start, I suppose.

Sure, the Shaq from 6-7 years ago on a Spurs team without Ginobili.

0.4*

The Shaq of 4 years ago isn't walking through that door for the Lakers.

How about 2003, 2005, and 2007?

Next.

...sounds like someone is trying to make excuses....

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Live in the what? Your paranoid and delusional world where the Spurs haven't won 4 titles by eschewing what you have crowed about over the last 10 years?
The Spurs with Duncan has the capacity to win at least 3 more in that timeframe.

What about this year?

Question.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
...sounds like someone is trying to make excuses....

Not really, but 2000? Come on. Were you even alive then?

101A
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Where were Laker's posters (other than a couple of stalwarts) for the past 4 seasons?

You're team has reaped the reward of a lopsided trade. Good for you.

Your team, however, hasn't done a damned thing.

STFU and go away until you have something to crow about.

Mavericks fans are the ONLY team with scoreboard; Detroit fans get respect.

You suck.

T Park
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
With the looks of his sig, hes another attention starved 12 year old getting his rocks off by trolling a message board.

It's his way of getting back at the jock kids who give him wedgies and don't pick him for 3 on 3 apparently.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
The best way to combat Weezer is to build a credible case as to why the Spurs will beat the Lakers this year.

I'll help you.

Duncan can still beat Shaq or Bynum.

The Spurs team defense is more experienced together as a unit, which can overcome player-for-player talent inadequacies.

rascal
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
And yet, somehow the Spurs have 3 rings in the last 5 years. Go figure.

Stop living in the past. Its a new season and teams have improved especially the Lakers after the Gasol trade and the improved play of Bynum this year.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Where were Laker's posters (other than a couple of stalwarts) for the past 4 seasons?

You suck.

the intelligence factor in this forum is off the charts...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/669/7435396527986ec68dla7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2003/spurbannthumbvk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

last time I checked....9 is more than 4....but I guess the math was too much for you to comprehend...

rascal
02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Is Holt's Cat Marcus Bryant?

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Is Holt's Cat Marcus Bryant?
Yes, it's him doing his best T Park impersonation.

Oh, by the way... if you think a healthy Parker gets to the hoop at will with Bynum/Gasol and O'Neal/Stoudamire blocking shots, think again.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
The best way to combat Weezer is to build a credible case as to why the Spurs will beat the Lakers this year.

I'll help you.

Duncan can still beat Shaq or Bynum.

The Spurs team defense is more experienced together as a unit, which can overcome player-for-player talent inadequacies.

I'll add to that....

Because when the Spurs play on all cylinders, we cannot be beat.
The only team that can beat the Spurs, is the Spurs themselves.
That's the trademark of a true dynasty. Every other team is a contender at best. No team can beat the Spurs when they are playing their best.

What are the chances we'll be playing our best come playoffs?
I have no idea, and neither does anyone else on this board.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. That being said, I like our odds.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, it's him doing his best T Park impersonation.

Oh, by the way... if you think a healthy Parker gets to the hoop at will with Bynum/Gasol and O'Neal/Stoudamire blocking shots, think again.

If you think a healthy Parker won't be able to draw Bynum/Gasol and O'neal/Stoudamire into foul trouble....THINK AGAIN.

baseline bum
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
What is Gasol going to do to keep Parker out of the lane? Gasol is a huge pickup for LA, but he's there to improve their half-court execution. He's never been any kind of defensive presence.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
What is Gasol going to do to keep Parker out of the lane? Gasol is a huge pickup for LA, but he's there to improve their half-court execution. He's never been any kind of defensive presence.
Wrong.

Gasol has never been a stellar man-to-man defender, but he plays good "help D" and block about 2 shots a game.

Again, please stop thinking about him as the sour-faced candy-@ss on the Grizzlies.

Now he is an essential component to a contender.

Sum of the parts.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
please stop thinking about him as the sour-faced candy-@ss on the Grizzlies.

That's the only way I've ever seen him play.

What do you expect? For me to take your word on it. :lmao

Weezer
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
That's the only way I've ever seen him play.

What do you expect? For me to take your word on it. :lmao

it seems you need to broaden your horizens....

Spain olympic team?

guess you're not a basketball fan...simply a spurs fan....

hsxvvd
02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Marc? I doubt he'll have much impact.

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
With Gasol we effectively eliminate any mismatches that would have occurred on the defensive end.

Bynum on Duncan
Gasol on Oberto
Kobe on Manu
Fisher on Parker
Odom on Bowen

The only potentially deadly mismatch I see is Fisher on Parker. But if the Lakers can get their team defense in order it shouldn't be a problem. Pack the defense in the paint and force Parker to hit the outside jumper. I'll take that over Parker penetrating and dismantling our defense from the inside out any day.

The flipside to this is how the hell are the Spurs gonna stop the Laker offense. You can't double team Kobe, Gasol, or Bynum without leaving someone wide open. We have offensive threats at every position unlike the Spurs (Oberto and Bowen are not threats). You essentially have to pick your poison and hope for the best.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
With Gasol we effectively eliminate any mismatches that would have occurred on the defensive end.

Bynum on Duncan
Gasol on Oberto
Kobe on Manu
Fisher on Parker
Odom on Bowen

The only potentially deadly mismatch I see is Fisher on Parker. But if the Lakers can get their team defense in order it shouldn't be a problem. Pack the defense in the paint and force Parker to hit the outside jumper. I'll take that over Parker penetrating and dismantling our defense from the inside out any day.

The flipside to this is how the hell are the Spurs gonna stop the Laker offense. You can't double team Kobe, Gasol, or Bynum without leaving someone wide open. We have offensive threats at every position unlike the Spurs (Oberto and Bowen are not threats). You essentially have to pick your poison and hope for the best.

ummm? You dont see a problem with the Duncan/Bynum matchup...duncan will murder Bynum....bynum is athletic and talented....but hes not in duncans realm...

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
it seems you need to broaden your horizens....

Spain olympic team?

guess you're not a basketball fan...simply a spurs fan....

And I guess you like to make assumptions.

:rolleyes...really I should stop holding high expectations for Lakerfans.

I'm a basketball fan, just not a FIBA fan. I didn't realize FIBA epitomizes the soul of basketball. Well, now that Gasol plays for the Lakers, I'm sure you figure it does. When Gasol wins a Gold Medel, or is apart of a championship team, I'll take note.

Assumptions can be a bitch, huh? It seems you need to stop making assumptions.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about Tim Duncan, than I would be concerned if Spurs fans are worried about Gasol. But what you do with your time is your business, just a friendly suggestion.

ChumpDumper
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

phxspurfan

Bynum on Duncan
Gasol on Oberto
Kobe on Manu
Fisher on Parker
Odom on Bowen

If the playoffs were a series of 1 on 1 games I'd agree with this take. I think the series, if it happens, will come down to X's and O's -- execution of team offense and defense. Coach Phil vs. Coach Pop with these rosters would be a coaching battle for the ages.

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
ummm? You dont see a problem with the Duncan/Bynum matchup...duncan will murder Bynum....bynum is athletic and talented....but hes not in duncans realm...

I'm not saying he will shut down Duncan. Duncan will get his no matter who you put on him, similar to Kobe. But he can make Duncan take lower percentage shots and prevent a layup drill because of his incredible size, length, and athleticism.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Dazed is right. And having 2 shotblockers will help the Lakers send Parker on his @ss under the basket.

Again, it comes down to the Spurs playing better team defense and finding one chink in the Laker's armor and exposing it on the offensive end.

It looks like sh1t on paper.

Weezer
02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
And I guess you like to make assumptions.

:rolleyes...really I should stop holding high expectations for Lakerfans.

I'm a basketball fan, just not a FIBA fan. I didn't realize FIBA epitomizes the soul of basketball. Well, now that Gasol plays for the Lakers, I'm sure you figure it does. When Gasol wins a Gold Medel, or is apart of a championship team, I'll take note.

Assumptions can be a bitch, huh? It seems you need to stop making assumptions.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about Tim Duncan, than I would be concerned if Spurs fans are worried about Gasol. But what you do with your time is your business, just a friendly suggestion.

if you looked above, I already expressed my concern with Duncan...but I guess you dont read posts with more than a couple of words in them....

just because Im a lakers fan doesnt mean im incompetent, unlike you I can appreciate and respect the Greatness of a tim duncan...yes I may be somewhat biased...but my bias has limits...spurs fans dont...

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Should we worry about Gasol? Is he sick? I haven't heard anything about it. He's so brave to play through his illness without even mentioning it to the media.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
:lol

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
nope just lakerfans posting the irrelevant shit they're suppose to post.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 03:50 PM
nope just lakerfans posting the irrelevant shit they're suppose to post.

Good take buddy....yes, the Spurs should be scared. Their mortal this year. Oh, will TP help, no doubt...but in 04 we had an answer to shutting him down. I'm very confident when we play the spurs. At full strength the Lakers will give the Spurs a lot of trouble. If you can't see that, than it's too bad.

phxspurfan
02-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I wish the Spurs would make a deal for sheed.

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
The past is the past.

All avoidable.

I can't agree with you enough. I just don't get that Pop has the patience. tolerance or even sees the value of youth an athleticism. It sucks because he admit to tinkering and experimenting during the season. Which is precisely the reason he could infuse the roster with a couple of young, hungry and cheap guys that could gain experience, but at the same time help the team get through the dog days of the season.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
No Kwame Brown people.....that's the biggest difference. We won 2 games without him and without Gasol. Not having him in the lineup is the biggest catalyst to elite status.

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM

You're team has reaped the reward of a lopsided trade. Good for you.

Your team, however, hasn't done a damned thing.

STFU and go away until you have something to crow about.

Mavericks fans are the ONLY team with scoreboard; Detroit fans get respect.

You suck.
It's spelled "Your" and if you can't even spell right maybe you should be the one to shut the fuck up. What have we done lately? That's big talk and major dick waving coming from a team that tanked to get Duncan. At least we tried to make the playoffs. We could have tanked and tried to get CP3 or Deron Williams but unlike the Spurs we're not that pathetic. It wasn't too long ago we were raping you guys in the playoffs and owning your souls. When was the last time the Spurs repeated? Oh wait, never. Lakers broke off 3 in a row and the Spurs couldn't even see the light of day back then. You guys are Champs by default and even with the Lakers out of the picture you guys still can't repeat. Talk to me when you repeat asshole or even come close to sniffing as many Championships as the Lakers have.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Tell him how you really feel "majicman".....

fyatuk
02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Good take buddy....yes, the Spurs should be scared. Their mortal this year. Oh, will TP help, no doubt...but in 04 we had an answer to shutting him down. I'm very confident when we play the spurs. At full strength the Lakers will give the Spurs a lot of trouble. If you can't see that, than it's too bad.

Just for reference, there's a big difference between 04 Tony and current Tony, at least when he's healthy.

Not that the Laker's can't shut him down, just that "because we did in 04" is quite an invalid argument.

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Pau is much better on defensive rotations than Kwame is. He also has the ability to block shots unlike Kwame. If Kwame gets bought out there's still a good possibility he signs with the Lakers or even come back next year at a discount and come off the bench. Parker is not my main concern it's Manu more so. We still haven't seen how the front line of Andrew Bynum, Pau, and Lamar plays out. I assume it's much better than we have seen recently from the Lakers. I don't think that cute stuff that Parker tries flies now with that front line.

fyatuk
02-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't think that cute stuff that Parker tries flies now with that front line.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Parker is one of the best finishers in the NBA at the rim, and he always seems to find the angle to get the shot up even when surrounded by bigs.

The best defense against Parker is still hit him hard early. You get your bigs in foul trouble (and allow Duncan to go off), but it seems to scare Parker off from driving late in the game, which is why Manu dominates at the end.

That's the way it works best for the Spurs. Parker early, Duncan middle, Manu late.

SAGambler
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
This "living in the past" is about as moronic as it gets.

I would bet there isn't a team in the NBA that hasn't beat every other team in the NBA at one time or another.

What was last year, or the year before or 20 years ago, has no bearing on THIS season.

The sooner people figure that out, the better off we will all be.

Princess Pimp
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
So do they have to give the O'Brien trophies back? That's a pretty fucking stupid comeback on your part.

Yes Actually they have to give it back you dumbass.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes Actually they have to give it back you dumbass.OMG that's the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internets.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I can't agree with you enough. I just don't get that Pop has the patience. tolerance or even sees the value of youth an athleticism. It sucks because he admit to tinkering and experimenting during the season. Which is precisely the reason he could infuse the roster with a couple of young, hungry and cheap guys that could gain experience, but at the same time help the team get through the dog days of the season.
The problem is not learning from your defeats and getting fooled by your wins.

Pop should practice kaizen.

P.S.

Parker does not have a free path to the basket anymore with Gasol and Shaq helping Bynum and A. Stoudamire.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Yes Actually they have to give it back you dumbass.

You're an idiot :lmao

They make a new O'Brien trophy every year. The only trophy which is kept in circulation is the Stanley Cup.

anakha
02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
you dumbass.

Pot, kettle, black, Louis.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
The problem is not learning from your defeats and getting fooled by your wins.

Pop should practice kaizen.

P.S.

Parker does not have a free path to the basket anymore with Gasol and Shaq helping Bynum and A. Stoudamire.

:lol So Pop's had nothing to do with the Spurs' success and he needs to apply Japanese management techniques in order to finally win a title? Great.

Princess Pimp
02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Pau is much better on defensive rotations than Kwame is. He also has the ability to block shots unlike Kwame. If Kwame gets bought out there's still a good possibility he signs with the Lakers or even come back next year at a discount and come off the bench. Parker is not my main concern it's Manu more so. We still haven't seen how the front line of Andrew Bynum, Pau, and Lamar plays out. I assume it's much better than we have seen recently from the Lakers. I don't think that cute stuff that Parker tries flies now with that front line.

I couldn't agree more!

Princess Pimp
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
It's spelled "Your" and if you can't even spell right maybe you should be the one to shut the fuck up. What have we done lately? That's big talk and major dick waving coming from a team that tanked to get Duncan. At least we tried to make the playoffs. We could have tanked and tried to get CP3 or Deron Williams but unlike the Spurs we're not that pathetic. It wasn't too long ago we were raping you guys in the playoffs and owning your souls. When was the last time the Spurs repeated? Oh wait, never. Lakers broke off 3 in a row and the Spurs couldn't even see the light of day back then. You guys are Champs by default and even with the Lakers out of the picture you guys still can't repeat. Talk to me when you repeat asshole or even come close to sniffing as many Championships as the Lakers have.

That's so true

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:23 PM

"Cute stuff"? Can we get some better trolls in here?

Anyways, if by that you mean getting out on the break and attacking the rim then I guess Gasol will look better trailing TP on the break.

cherylsteele
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
On top of that, I don't how Fisher will be able to keep up with a healthy TP in a 7-game series.

Princess Pimp
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
On top of that, I don't how Fisher will be able to keep up with a healthy TP in a 7-game series.

But he isn't healthy.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

But they have one of the best PF's in the game!

BTW Princess Pimp...You need to STFU, if you don't know what your talking about...Especially if you're going to be derrogative towards other people.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
But he isn't healthy.

He will be when it matters.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes Actually they have to give it back you dumbass.:lmao :lmao :lmao

Whenever this bitch tries to make a point, remember this post.

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
You can't guarantee health.

hitmanyr2k
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM

You keep talking about these guys as if they're Mutombo or Alonzo Mourning :lol Shaq, Amare, Gasol and Bynum aren't game-changers on defense. Amare is dumb and foul prone. Shaq is old and foul prone. Even if Parker doesn't score it's likely he'll get these guys in foul trouble. Gasol and Bynum aren't going to scare anyone away from the rim either :lol

Mark in Austin
02-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Lakers got better, no doubt. But I'm worried more about the Spurs getting healthy than other team's moves. Tim, Tony,and Manu when healthy are incredibly difficult to defend. If the Spurs team defense rounds into form, I still think they have the best chance of being the last team standing.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Are the Lakers and Suns merging?

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
You can't guarantee health.

You're right. I hope Gasol's back holds up.

How are Odom's joints doing these days?

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't be a fvcking idiot.

You know who plays for who now.

I hope.

Holt's Cat
Don't be a fvcking idiot.

You know who plays for who now.

I hope.

I do. Do you?

Medvedenko

If they did, you still wouldn't concede that could be the mighty spurs, making all previous posts BS. You're showing True Homer status buddy...keep it up.

Ghost Writer
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
You keep talking about these guys as if they're Mutombo or Alonzo Mourning :lol Shaq, Amare, Gasol and Bynum aren't game-changers on defense. Amare is dumb and foul prone. Shaq is old and foul prone. Even if Parker doesn't score it's likely he'll get these guys in foul trouble. Gasol and Bynum aren't going to scare anyone away from the rim either :lol
Watch a game.

All four of those players intimidate and block more shots than our frontcourt.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
If they did, you still wouldn't concede that could be the mighty spurs, making all previous posts BS. You're showing True Homer status buddy...keep it up.

So the Lakers are the odds on favorites to win it all? Who's the homer now?

You're a genius.

spursjustice
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm more worried about Bynum than Pau...
he's a better defensive player and his size, strength and length will bother us.. and we all know defence wins c'ships...

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
You're right. I hope Gasol's back holds up.

How are Odom's joints doing these days?

I never said the Lakers were gonna stay injury free either. I'm just pointing out that there is no way you can say Parker will be 100% for the playoffs.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
So the Lakers are the odds on favorites to win it all? Who's the homer now?

You're a genius.

I never said odds on favourite....that's not what we are debating. We're debating the merits of having Bynum and Gasol man the middle versus TD and Oberto and subsequent match up problems we give you...that is all.

Holt's Cat
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, if they are not the favorite in light of the Gasol trade, then I'm not sure how it's somehow unacceptable to feel good about the Spurs' chances in the spring.

hitmanyr2k
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Watch a game.

All four of those players intimidate and block more shots than our frontcourt.

I see games all the time. NONE of those players intimidate anyone from attacking the rim. Shaq can barely stay on the floor these days because of foul trouble. Players can't wait to go at him on offense because they know he's old, won't move his feet and will pick up a silly foul rather than defend. Amare is just dumb and tries to rely too much on athleticism lol. Bynum has no defensive aura whatsoever and neither does Gasol. These guys are not going to change a game defensively like I saw Mourning do in the Heat '06 title run or like Mutombo did for so many years. They may try to knock Parker or Ginobili down but they'll pick up fouls in the process.

cherylsteele
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
But he isn't healthy.
Yes, right now that is true, we will see come playoff time.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, if they are not the favorite in light of the Gasol trade, then I'm not sure how it's somehow unacceptable to feel good about the Spurs' chances in the spring.

I don't find it unacceptable if the Spurs win at all. Like I've said in different posts prior over the last few weeks. There are 4 teams in the West that have a great shot at going to the finals.

cherylsteele
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I never said odds on favourite....that's not what we are debating. We're debating the merits of having Bynum and Gasol man the middle versus TD and Oberto and subsequent match up problems we give you...that is all.
Gasol makes the Lakers a much more balanced team, in the playoffs that can be important.

sprrs
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Good take buddy....yes, the Spurs should be scared. Their mortal this year. Oh, will TP help, no doubt...but in 04 we had an answer to shutting him down.

TP has since developed a reliable jump shot. You'll have a little more trouble shutting him down if you use the '04 tactic.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
As I said in the match up thread...it's going to come down to role players and I see Odom being a tipping point.

cherylsteele
02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
As I said in the match up thread...it's going to come down to role players and I see Odom being a tipping point.
It is possible, Udoka could be something like that as well as Barry. It will be a great series if it happens though.

Medvedenko
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, I would love the Lakers to get to the WC and possibly face you guys....a great series no doubt.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Anybody worried about Gasol?

Definitely:

http://www.igooh.com.ar/ImgsNotas/9500.jpg

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
with gasol
look at odom line
he does not score

not worried

Odom doesn't score now anyways. He's a 4th or 5th option now (Fisher or Farmar) he won't really be needed to score.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 07:38 PM
One can make an arguement (a strong one) the Lakers regressed severely on defense by losing Brown - he was their best defending big man - it is not just about stats!

Only an idiot would make that argument. When Kwame is in there it's a layup drill against the Lakers. Not the case when Bynum's in there. Yes, Kwame has solid man-to-man post defense, but not that much better than Bynum's and not great enough where it covers the fact that he can't intimidate anybody driving to the hoop.

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Only an idiot would make that argument. When Kwame is in there it's a layup drill against the Lakers. Not the case when Bynum's in there. Yes, Kwame has solid man-to-man post defense, but not that much better than Bynum's and not great enough where it covers the fact that he can't intimidate anybody driving to the hoop.

Couldn't have said it any better. Kwame is not a defensive anchor, especially with all his injuries. Bynum can actually deter penetration and alter shots.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
So lakerfans have declared this season's paper champions.

Sweet.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
So lakerfans have declared this season's paper champions.

Sweet.

Lakers will win Team of the Decade DumpChumper :elephant :elephant

Mister Sinister
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Lakers will win Team of the Decade DumpChumper :elephant :elephant
Wait, DumpChumper? Th...That doesn't make any sense! He chumps those things that are dumps? What does that even mean?

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
You don't have to make sense if your team has already won Team of the Decade and is about to win another one. :elephant :elephant

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
The Team of the Decade trophy is also paper.

And the team has to give it back after a decade.

Unless they crease it, then they have to pay to have another one folded properly.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't cry DumpChumper :cry :cry

Your team still has an outside chance to win it.

Well not the Hawks that is.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't cry over trophies that do exist much less ones that some douchebag troll made up.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't cry over trophies that do exist much less ones that some douchebag troll made up.

It exists DumpChumper. Just ask Magic to show it to you.

ancestron
02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow the lakers pick up Pau Gasol and now all the fans think they are the hands down favorite. How amusing.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Wow the lakers pick up Pau Gasol and now all the fans think they are the hands down favorite. How amusing.

Well actually it's the combo of Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum. To go with some excellent role players. But keep thinking it's only Gasol. :drunk

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
It exists DumpChumper. Just ask Magic to show it to you.No, I'm asking you to show it to me.

Show me the official NBA Team of the Decade trophy.

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
No, I'm asking you to show it to me.

Show me the official NBA Team of the Decade trophy.
They give one out every year at the MTV awards. Micheal Jackson got one just like it only it was artist of the millennium award. :blah

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Nobody said that but we ain't chopped liver either.

Man In Black
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
San Antonio fans are results-oriented people. They've gotten 2 titles since you won your last one with a different team pretty much. Outside of DFish and Kobe and of course, Prick Phil...are there any other Lakers that have kissed the LOB? Spurs have a team full of them.

Kobe hasn't won crap since Shaq left. NADA.
Tim is only 1 of 2 players EVER that has won titles with with completely different teammates from title 1 to title 4. The other is Bill Russell.

I applaud the HEIST of Pau Gasol but when it gets to it, NO ONE KNOWS how he will play once Bynum comes back. See there is this thing called COHESION that takes time and while Pau (even with some back issues) has been playing very well, it's easier to own the paint over your opponent when you don't have your own teammate taking up real estate. That's the advantage the Spurs bigs + Duncan has is that THEY ALREADY know their spacing. They already know how each other is going to react.
LAKAHFANS...Can you say the same thing unequivocally?

DazedAndConfused
02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
All I can say is experience and cohesion did not help the '04 Lakers when they got trounced by a relatively inexperienced Piston team.

The thing about Gasol is he has the perfect skillset to play the PF spot. Good face up game, midrange shot, and can back his man down in the post when he wants to. You couldn't ask for a better complement to Bynum, who is a true low-block banger. Bynum will own the paint and Gasol will operate in the high post most of the time. It will pretty much make our team unguardable when you factor in Kobe and Fisher on the wings. And I haven't even mentioned Odom. Add to that a very good bench, one of the highest producing in the league, and the best coach in the NBA Phil Jackson and you have a recipe for success.

Man In Black
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
All I can say is experience and cohesion did not help the '04 Lakers when they got trounced by a relatively inexperienced Piston team.

FUNNY...Considering that it was their first and ONLY season together with Malone & Payton, and the fact that the Triangle O was being called OBLONG means that they didn't have either experience or cohesion and won their WCF on both talent and luck.
That relatively inexperienced Pistons team had been making the playoffs since 01-02. Adding Sheed just made them stronger at the post. So how you can call them relatively inexperienced goes hand-in-hand with you calling that 1 year team Experienced. Wrong on both accounts.

The thing about Gasol is he has the perfect skillset to play the PF spot. Good face up game, midrange shot, and can back his man down in the post when he wants to.
You mean he plays that position better than Tim Duncan? You're not going to say Pau Gasol is better than Kevin McHale too are you? :lol and while I will say that he's been the best PF to play in LA for awhile, the best big in all the land still plays in San Antonio.

You couldn't ask for a better complement to Bynum, who is a true low-block banger. Bynum will own the paint and Gasol will operate in the high post most of the time. Sure I could, because interchangeability is a great thing. Say Bynum is in foul trouble due to his capricious youth. Does he have the kind of game in which he can play the high post or FT line extended? Spurs can do that with any number of bigs playing with Tim and should go to the post of ft line extended, they have bigs that can play down low too. Are they looked to be as valuable than Gasol, not in the NBA but internationally speaking, the Argentines have said much on the world front and they have spanked Spain on occasion. Bonner & Elson & Horry are veritable wild card and if they play big, it's over. If they play small, it doesn't mean the Spurs are defeated, it just means that the core will have to fight harder to win.

It will pretty much make our team unguardable when you factor in Kobe and Fisher on the wings.
Kobe has to deal with a 2-man tandem in Bowen, who has had a very successful history of holding kobester to around 1point per shot. Now in relief is Ime Udoka who had a cup of Coffee in LA, but has turned into Bruce's understudy and is learning quickly. Fisher offensively is still a contributor but defensively, well...I recall the turnstile pics, and against Parker, it'll be like taking candy away from a baby.
So I wouldn't say UNGUARDABLE, you could say tougher to guard though.

And I haven't even mentioned Odom.
Is there a reason some of your own Laker fans call him ODUMB?

Add to that a very good bench, one of the highest producing in the league,
The same could be said about the Spurs considering that Ginobili is the leading candidate for 6th Man of the year, plus CHAMPIONSHIP experience in Barry, Horry, & Vaughn.

and the best coach in the NBA Phil Jackson and you have a recipe for success.
While he might have the most titles, he hasn't won ANYTHING without having at least 2 of the best position players in the league at the same time.

There are many analysts who place Pop above the Colonel Sanders.
Pop's only needed just 1 of the best position players of all time to get his titles. Just 1.

m33p0
02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
dunno. ask the suns.

MajicMan
02-13-2008, 12:45 AM
FUNNY...Considering that it was their first and ONLY season together with Malone & Payton, and the fact that the Triangle O was being called OBLONG means that they didn't have either experience or cohesion and won their WCF on both talent and luck.
That relatively inexperienced Pistons team had been making the playoffs since 01-02. Adding Sheed just made them stronger at the post. So how you can call them relatively inexperienced goes hand-in-hand with you calling that 1 year team Experienced. Wrong on both accounts.

You mean he plays that position better than Tim Duncan? You're not going to say Pau Gasol is better than Kevin McHale too are you? :lol and while I will say that he's been the best PF to play in LA for awhile, the best big in all the land still plays in San Antonio.

Sure I could, because interchangeability is a great thing. Say Bynum is in foul trouble due to his capricious youth. Does he have the kind of game in which he can play the high post or FT line extended? Spurs can do that with any number of bigs playing with Tim and should go to the post of ft line extended, they have bigs that can play down low too. Are they looked to be as valuable than Gasol, not in the NBA but internationally speaking, the Argentines have said much on the world front and they have spanked Spain on occasion. Bonner & Elson & Horry are veritable wild card and if they play big, it's over. If they play small, it doesn't mean the Spurs are defeated, it just means that the core will have to fight harder to win.

Kobe has to deal with a 2-man tandem in Bowen, who has had a very successful history of holding kobester to around 1point per shot. Now in relief is Ime Udoka who had a cup of Coffee in LA, but has turned into Bruce's understudy and is learning quickly. Fisher offensively is still a contributor but defensively, well...I recall the turnstile pics, and against Parker, it'll be like taking candy away from a baby.
So I wouldn't say UNGUARDABLE, you could say tougher to guard though.

Is there a reason some of your own Laker fans call him ODUMB?

The same could be said about the Spurs considering that Ginobili is the leading candidate for 6th Man of the year, plus CHAMPIONSHIP experience in Barry, Horry, & Vaughn.

While he might have the most titles, he hasn't won ANYTHING without having at least 2 of the best position players in the league at the same time.

There are many analysts who place Pop above the Colonel Sanders.
Pop's only needed just 1 of the best position players of all time to get his titles. Just 1.
PJ is tied with Red Auerbach HOMER for all time! 3+3+3 and I'm sure he would have blew Red out of the water if MJ didn't take a year off to play baseball and the Bulls not blowing up their team prematurely. Same goes for the Lakers. Some say he's always had the best players on his teams but those best players come with huge giant freakin egos that only a dickhead like Phil could manage. That in itself is a daunting task. You think Pop could handle a prick like Kobe? Shaq? Scotty Pippen? I don't think so. I'd think Pop would have gone Bobby Knight on them and those guys would have gone Latrell Sprewell on him. You're fucking kidding right? Pop over PJ? PPlease! Currently, Pop has the edge but all time PJ owns Pop.

I'm not saying we're winning a ring this year. We need time to gel and the younger players need more playoff experience. Andrew Bynum being so young and coming off an injury and also Ariza doesn't help our cause. We ain't winning no rings with a retard like Luke starting either but we are dangerous. As dangerous as it gets. We'll take the underdog role and stay under the radar. I actually prefer it that way. Go ahead and brush us off. Just look at the Mavs last year. Anything can happen. It's going to be a dog fight this year. Every team is hella good. Spurs have never repeated and it so happens that almost every team has improved. Hell, a healthy Rockets team could knock you guys out. I wouldn't be so cocky. We're creeping though, history is on the Lakers side. Score another big man for the Lakers? Familiar pattern there? Rings are in the future for us.

Louie Vega
02-13-2008, 12:46 AM

:rolleyes

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Who's worried about Gasol?

We have Oberto.

Gulp.