PDA

View Full Version : 'Big Threes' make successful formula

TMTTRIO
02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-02-11-scorerstable-nba_N.htm?csp=34

Scorer's Table: 'Big Threes' make successful formula
By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

The triple-threat trend continues in the NBA. It seems as though terrific trios are popping up everywhere.
"Especially with teams playing more zone these days, the best teams now have three players who can get their own shot," said Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom. "Just look at the Spurs."

Defending champion San Antonio won the title with three primary scorers: Tim Duncan (20.0 points a game last season), Tony Parker (18.6) and Manu Ginobili (16.5). Nobody else on the team scored in double figures.

Now more teams are hoping to use the same formula to dethrone the Spurs. This offseason the Boston Celtics added Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to a roster that included Paul Pierce to form their Big Three. The trio has combined to average 57.6 points a game, and Boston owns the best record in the NBA — even with Garnett out because of a strained abdominal muscle.

Orlando added forward Rashard Lewis, who joined center Dwight Howard and forward Hedo Turkoglu. They have led the Magic to the third-best record in the Eastern Conference, and Howard (21.8 points a game through Sunday) and Turkoglu (19.4) are enjoying the best scoring seasons of their careers.

And in the last two weeks, two Western Conference teams have rejiggered their Big Threes. In the wake of an injury to center Andrew Bynum, the Los Angeles Lakers traded for 7-footer Pau Gasol, who joins Odom and Kobe Bryant. The Phoenix Suns' Big Three got even bigger when they swapped 6-7 forward Shawn Marion for 7-1 center Shaquille O'Neal, who teams with point guard Steve Nash and center/forward Amare Stoudemire.

"It's kind of different, their Big Three," Ginobili said of the Suns. "That's a pretty big one, especially with Amare and Shaq. We just have to wait and see how they play together. Of course, it makes them deeper in the paint, but they lack a little versatility that Shawn Marion gave them. It's a whole new team. … Same thing with the Lakers. They got a little more dangerous now with Gasol."

The key to making it work, according to Garnett, is unselfishness. If all three players are worried about getting their shots, things break down. For a Big Three to shine, it takes a team commitment.

"Paul makes it easy on me, I try to make it easy on Ray and Ray makes it easy on Paul," Garnett said. "(Guard) Eddie House makes it easy on all three of us. That fact that (center) Kendrick Perkins is down there battling every night makes it easier on all of us. (Swingman) James Posey coming off the bench makes it easier on Eddie House. So it's a trickle-down effect, if you will."

Ginobili agrees with Garnett's assessment. "We have a pretty good big man, too, in Tim Duncan," Ginobili said. "He could score more but he's a player, not a scorer. He does whatever it takes to win."

New Orleans is another team with an emerging Big Three in Chris Paul, Peja Stojakovic and David West.

"Paul is having a great year … he's been a monster," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "But West has matured and is still underrated. He made the all-star team, so I guess that means you're not underrated, but people still don't talk about him in the same breath with other people."

The NBA's highest-scoring trios, in terms of percentage of their team's total points, through games of Feb. 10:

Players Team Trio vs. team scoring %.

Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, Linas Kleiza Denver Nuggets 3,108 of 5,334 .583

Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams Atlanta Hawks 2,545 of 4,440 .573

Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu Orlando Magic 3,068 of 5,396 .569

Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, Jason Kidd New Jersey Nets 2,715 of 4,779 .568

Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry Dallas Mavericks 2,825 of 4,994 .566

Emeka Okafor, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace Charlotte Bobcats 2,730 of 4,862 .561

Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce Boston Celtics 2,575 of 4,777 .539

Chris Paul, Peja Stojakovic, David West New Orleans Hornets 2,602 of 4,909 .530

Daniel Gibson, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers 2,550 of 4,834 .528

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker San Antonio Spurs 2,480 of 4,711 .526

anakha
02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
The NBA's highest-scoring trios, in terms of percentage of their team's total points, through games of Feb. 10:

Players Team Trio vs. team scoring %.

Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, Linas Kleiza Denver Nuggets 3,108 of 5,334 .583

Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams Atlanta Hawks 2,545 of 4,440 .573

Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu Orlando Magic 3,068 of 5,396 .569

Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, Jason Kidd New Jersey Nets 2,715 of 4,779 .568

Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry Dallas Mavericks 2,825 of 4,994 .566

Emeka Okafor, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace Charlotte Bobcats 2,730 of 4,862 .561

Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce Boston Celtics 2,575 of 4,777 .539

Chris Paul, Peja Stojakovic, David West New Orleans Hornets 2,602 of 4,909 .530

Daniel Gibson, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers 2,550 of 4,834 .528

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker San Antonio Spurs 2,480 of 4,711 .526

Seriously, Kleiza?

Mister Sinister
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Seriously, Kleiza?
I said the same thing. Except at first, I was like :huh...but then, I was like :lmao

Indazone
02-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Rockets don't need a Big Three. We got muliple players that can score and go off for 20 ppg at any time.

pad300
02-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Seriously, Kleiza?

I don't know if I'd call him part of the Nuggets "Big Three" - either Camby or K-mart might be more appropriate. But the kid can play.