View Full Version : Spurs-Cavaliers Preview

duncan228
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm bored, so I'm starting early.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23133652/

Spurs-Cavaliers Preview

By BRETT HUSTON
Associated Press Sports

The San Antonio Spurs have been on the road long enough that they may be having trouble remembering which city they're in. The final stop on their lengthy trip, however, should definitely ring a bell.

The defending champion Spurs return to the arena where they claimed last season's NBA title Wednesday, as they conclude their season-high nine-game road trip against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

San Antonio (33-17) got off to a shaky start to its annual rodeo trip, losing at Utah and Seattle to give the team its first three-game losing streak of the season. The Spurs, though, posted an impressive 84-81 victory at Phoenix on Jan. 31 that sparked a string of five wins in six games.

Their last game before the All-Star break takes them to Cleveland, where the Spurs finished off a four-game NBA finals sweep of the Cavaliers with an 83-82 win June 14, capping their fourth championship in the last nine seasons.

While San Antonio owned the teams' first postseason meeting, Cleveland (29-22) has been just as dominant in regular season matchups of late. The Cavaliers have won the last four such meetings with the Spurs, including a 90-88 victory at the AT&T Center on Jan. 17.

"The finals are over and done with," said LeBron James, who had 27 points in the latest win.

San Antonio has started to play like a defending champion lately after a stretch in which it lost seven of 12 games. The Spurs bounced back from a 98-90 loss at Boston on Sunday - their only defeat in the past two weeks - with a 93-88 win at Toronto on Monday.

"The second day of a back-to-back is always tough,'' said guard Manu Ginobili, who had 34 points and a career-high 15 rebounds. "(Sunday) we had a loss that hurt, so it was very important for us to get this win.''

Ginobili has stepped up his game during this trip, averaging 22.0 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.0 assists. His all-around play has helped make up for the absence of point guard Tony Parker, who has missed the past seven games with a bone spur in his left heel.

The Cavaliers certainly won't miss Parker. The 2007 NBA finals MVP averaged 24.5 points in the series, with many of his baskets coming on layups after he'd broken down Cleveland's defense.

Parker had 23 points and six assists in the Jan. 17 loss to the Cavs. Ginobili scored 31 points and Tim Duncan added 20 and 11 rebounds.

Cleveland was 14-17 heading into the new year, but rolled through January at 11-3, the team's best month in nearly 12 years.

Despite a rash of injuries, the Cavaliers have continued to play well in February, winning four of six. They suffered a 30-point home loss to Denver on Sunday night, but rebounded by topping Southeast-leading Orlando 118-111 on the road Monday.

Larry Hughes powered the win with a season-high 40 points.

"We fed off of Larry," said James, who had 29 points and 10 assists. "When he has that rhythm - I have to continue to notice that. Every play was called for him in the second half. Every single play."

Hughes has struggled with his shooting all season, but has played well in the 10 games since Sasha Pavlovic went down with a sprained foot. He's averaging 18.7 points over that span while shooting 39.1 percent from 3-point range.

Hughes scored just two points in the NBA finals, missing the last two games with a torn plantar fascia.

James is averaging 31.3 points in his last four regular season meetings with the Spurs.

Pavlovic is expected to be out for another month, while Anderson Varejao is sidelined until after the All-Star break with an ankle sprain. Daniel Gibson (strained hamstring) has missed three straight games and is day-to-day.

bigfundamental21
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
This should be a win for us. Closing out this road trip 6-3 without Parker would be huge for us. Duncan needs to take advantage on the inside and we will need to play solid defense.

Brutalis
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Depends on Bowen and if he feels like playing this time around, cause the Boston game was pretty gross on his part. If he can lock down LBJ it's over with.

Well ... nobody can lock him down, he'll choke on his own during a clutch shot, and he'll get his numbers. Just in the crucial moments of the game Bowen needs to step it up.

Dex
02-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I hope we win

duncan228
02-12-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021308.SpursPreview.en.b7cd2d52.html

NBA: Spurs-Cavaliers lineups

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

SPURS (33-17) at CAVALIERS (29-22)

STARTING LINEUPS

SPURS
CAVALIERS

11 Jacque Vaughn (6-1, 13th yr)
PG
32 Larry Hughes (6-5, 10th yr)

Hughes exploded for 40 points out of nowhere in Cavs' victory Monday at Orlando.

20 Manu Ginobili (6-6, 6th yr)
SG
23 LeBron James (6-8, 5th yr)

Ginobili coming off best game of season: 34 points, 15 rebounds vs. Toronto.

12 Bruce Bowen (6-7, 12th yr)
SF
14 Ira Newble (6-7, 8th yr)

Injury epidemic in Cleveland has made former Spur Newble an emergency starter.

21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 11th yr)
PF
90 Drew Gooden (6-10, 6th yr)

Three-straight games of at least 21 points and 13 rebounds for Duncan.

7 Fabricio Oberto (6-9, 3rd yr)
C
11 Z. Ilgauskas (7-3, 10th yr)

Oberto has played at least 30 minutes in three of past four games.

RESERVES

SPURS
CAVALIERS

25 Robert Horry, C, 6-10, 16th yr
33 Devin Brown, G, 6-2, 6th yr

15 Matt Bonner, F, 6-10, 4th yr
6 Shannon Brown, G, 6-4, 2nd yr

16 Francisco Elson, C, 7-0, 5th yr
1 Daniel Gibson, G, 6-1, 2nd yr

4 Michael Finley, G, 6-7, 13th yr
19 Damon Jones, G, 6-3, 10th yr

5 Ime Udoka, F, 6-5, 4th yr
27 Dwayne Jones, F/C, 6-11, 3rd yr

3 Damon Stoudamire, G, 5-10, 13th yr
13 Donyell Marshall, F, 6-9, 14th yr
20 Eric Snow, G, 6-3, 12th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Cavaliers : Mike Brown

INJURIES

Spurs: Brent Barry (left calf strain) and Tony Parker (bone spur, left heel) are out.

Cavaliers : Gibson (strained right hamstring) is day-to-day. Anderson Varejao (left ankle sprain) and Sasha Pavlovic (left midfoot sprain) are out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Barry, Parker.

Cavaliers : Varejao, Pavlovic, Cedric Simmons.

NOTABLE

Spurs looking for successful close to rodeo road trip, which has seen them win five of eight games so far. . . . Cavaliers have won four consecutive regular-season games against Spurs, who swept Cleveland in last year's NBA Finals. Cleveland earned a 90-88 victory on Jan. 17 at the AT&T Center on James' jumper with 33.6 seconds to go. Ginobili had 31 points in that game, one of his six 30-point games of the season.

Road Warrior
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
^^^ I'm pretty sure Bowen will be on LeBron

Manu-of-steel
02-13-2008, 04:46 AM
Bowen on hughes if he gets hot, udoka on lbj. Duncan should assert himself in the middle. to the entire spurs- REBOUND! we've been pounded off the boards in our losses, so please, box out and get that f...... ball.

Budkin
02-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I really want us to win this game but it's going to be tough with the Cavs and crowd in full on revenge mode. A good preparation for the playofs though.

WalterBenitez
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Are we gonna win this one?

SAGambler
02-13-2008, 09:36 AM
We should have at least 3 less turnovers with Anderson sitting on the bench. Hard for the refs to see you flop on the sidelines.

Spurs come out charged up. Ready to end the road trip on a high note, and come on home. Spurs 98 - 87. Manu has one more huge scoring game.

Edit: Hughes don't even get a sniff at 40....

Thunder Dan
02-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Bowen on hughes if he gets hot, udoka on lbj. Duncan should assert himself in the middle. to the entire spurs- REBOUND! we've been pounded off the boards in our losses, so please, box out and get that f...... ball.

Hughes gets hot once every 2 months. He will go 2-14 or something like that tonight so don't worry about him.

ancestron
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Should be a pretty good game.

nkdlunch
02-13-2008, 09:55 AM
the cavs are depleted. If we don't win the road trip is a failure

duncan228
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080213.html

Spur in the Spotlight
Manu Ginobili
Manu Ginobili scored a season-high 34 points and added a career-high 15 rebounds, leading the Spurs to a 93-88 victory over the Toronto Raptors on Monday night.

Did You Know...
The Spurs swept the Cavaliers 4-0 in the 2007 NBA Finals, claiming San Antonio is fourth championship … Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry spent five seasons in San Antonio … he spent his final three seasons as a player on the Silver and Black, including the Spurs 2003 championship squad, and the last two seasons as Director of Basketball Operations … Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown and assistant coach Hank Egan both spent time as assistants to Gregg Popovich … Brown spent three seasons as an assistant for Pop, including the 2003 championship team … Cavaliers assistant general manager Lance Blanks spent five seasons in the Spurs front office, ascending to the Director of Scouting role … Ira Newble played for the Spurs in ’00-’01 averaging 2.0 points and 1.3 rebounds in 27 games … LeBron James and Tim Duncan were teammates on the 2004 USA Basketball Olympic team in Athens.

duncan228
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1202895130246080.xml&coll=2

Cleveland Cavaliers follow Spurs model for victory
Ferry, Brown bring familiar pasts to the present
Branson WrightPlain Dealer Reporter

General Manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown will not hide their blueprint to success. That blueprint looks just like the black and silver of the San Antonio Spurs and Ferry, a former player and executive with the Spurs, embraces that past.

Brown was an assistant under coach Gregg Popovich and speaks fondly of learning from his mentor. Both teams have superstars in Tim Duncan and LeBron James, and both teams have woven defense into the fabric of their franchises.

But the similarities between the two teams, unfortunately, also include injuries. The Cavs, at least what's left of them, are without Anderson Varejao, Sasha Pavlovic and Daniel Gibson because of injuries. And Drew Gooden just returned from his right groin strain.

The San Antonio Spurs feel the Cavs' pain. Brent Barry has been out since Jan. 26 and point guard Tony Parker has been out with a bone spur on his left heel since Jan. 30.

So, unlike the Cavs, the Spurs added help when they signed veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire after his contract was bought out by the Memphis Grizzlies. Stoudamire was free to sign with any team but there was no interest in the Cavs. Not on either side.

"It just never came up," said Stoudamire, of the possibility of signing with the Cavs. "There was no interest from Cleveland. . . . I'm totally happy.

"I had tunnel division when I made the decision. It was a no-brainer. I looked at all the pros and cons on what's best for my career."

What was best for Stoudamire is also best for the Spurs.

With Parker out, the Spurs needed some insurance. Cavs assistant coach Mel Hunt, however, said Stoudamire will mean more.

"The Spurs won't get the true benefit until the postseason," Hunt said. "Right now, Damon's getting acclimated. He doesn't know their system yet but once he gets comfortable, they'll have three very good point guards."

Stoudamire, the 1996 rookie of the year, doesn't have the blazing speed he had when he first came into the league, but he has enough game left to make an impression. Hunt did not want to imagine what last year's series against the Spurs would have been like if Stoudamire was in San Antonio last season.

"If we would've played them with Tony and Damon on the court at the same time, they would've been unguardable," Hunt said. "They're both fast and they both can create. When they put both of them on the court at the same time, most teams will not be able to match up with them."

The Spurs have won four out of five since Stoudamire has arrived. He scored 11 points in his debut. He's averaging 6.6 points and 1.8 assists. Parker is expected back after the All-Star break. His return won't confuse Stoudamire.

"I knew why I was coming here," Stoudamire said. "I knew eventually Tony would return, I know my role and I don't have a problem with that. I'm here to help the team win, and I wanted to be in a situation where I could play with a good group of guys that had a chance to go deep into the playoffs."

duncan228
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Parts of "The Optimist" article from Cavs.com

(It's fun to go back and read The Optimists thoughts before each of the 4 Finals games. Being an optimist he thought the Cavs would win each one.)

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/optimist_spurs_080213.html

The San Antonio Spurs. You know, the World Champions. The same team that gave our Cavaliers the PhD (Pumpkin-head Deluxe) in last year’s Finals. When we last saw San Antonio, Tony Parker was French-kissing the Larry O'Brien Trophy on the floor of our gym.

There’s no secret that the Spurs’ model of excellence is the Wine and Gold’s blueprint for success. Mike Brown is 4-1 in the regular season against Greg Popovich. Greg Popovich is 4-0 against his protégé in the playoffs. The fur will fly on Wednesday night at The Q – exspecially with it being the final game before the All-Star break.

Even though no one listened to me, I said before last year’s Finals Game 1 that I totally have Popovich’s signs down, and I’ve got to believe Mike Brown and Danny Ferry do, too. I might even give today’s article and my take on the Spurs to Assistant Coach Melvin Hunt. If there’s one thing coaches love, it’s when ordinary people like you and I give them things like plays they haven’t thought of.

Tonight’s Victory. Yes, it’s Jones’ three that ties it at 83-83 with just under two minutes to play. But it’s Manu Ginobili’s and-1 that puts San Antonio back up by three.

Tim Duncan splits a pair of free throws which opens the door for TheBron’s annual pre-All-Star illustration of why he’s the best basketball player on Planet Earth. The young King takes one dribble left, one dribble right – and from 17-feet, with the Cavaliers trailing by a point – floats like a butterfly and stings like bee.

90-89 – Cavaliers.

Final.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Cavs have too many injuries.
If we don't win this game it will be a dissappointment.