PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: To Trade Or Not To Trade

duncan228
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021208.SpursMailbag.en.b6e7d017.html

Spurs Mailbag: To trade or not to trade

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

CLEVELAND – All of a sudden, Spurs fans are Laker blue over the Pau Gasol trade, as they are scratching their heads over Shaquille O’Neal’s second move westward from Florida.

The acquisition of Damon Stoudamire was nice. But Spurs fans (apparently) want Mike Miller. Or Corey Maggette. Or Andres Nocioni.

If the names of random marginal NBA players are zipping through the Internet between Spurs fans’ parents’ basements and the laptop belonging to the Mailbag, it must be trade deadline season.

Teams have less than two weeks, until Feb. 21, to play “Let’s Make a Deal.” Whether the Spurs will be active or inert in the market remains to be seen.

Last season, coach Gregg Popovich went on record in January saying his team wouldn’t be swinging any deals. He refuses to say the same this year, if for no other reason than just to keep us all on our toes.

“I thought that was pretty cool when I did that last year,” Popovich said. “Now I feel like I have to top it or something.”

Somehow, we think there’s no need for Tim Duncan to put his house on the market. But at least it’s safe to say the Spurs haven’t ruled themselves out of trade discussions.

“We talk to everybody just like all other 29 teams,” Popovich said. “If something comes along and it makes sense for us, we’ll do it.”

That’s a big if.

The Spurs have most of their money tied up in three players they have no interest in moving – Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Their best bargaining chip, Brent Barry (who has an expiring contract worth about $5.5 million), is injured.

Then there’s the question of what kind of player the Spurs could land anyway.

Judging from our e-mail inbox, several Spurs fans wanted their team to make a run at Suns-turned-Heat-player Shawn Marion. One emailer even suggested a trade that would have sent Michael Finley, Jacque Vaughn, Brent Barry, Robert Horry, Francisco Elson and (ostensibly) a partridge in a pear tree to Phoenix to get him.

We’ll ignore the obvious questions -- why would the Suns want all these players? Are they hoping to use some as ringers on Phoenix’s WNBA team – and move on to another: Why would the Spurs want Shawn Marion?

Isn’t that like willingly agreeing to contract cancer?

Marion was somewhat of a malcontent in Phoenix, perpetually pouting over a lack of respect, either real or perceived. How do you think he would respond to playing fourth fiddle to Duncan, Ginobili and Parker in San Antonio?

Of course, with Finley, et al gone, there would be plenty of shots to go around.

Now, on to more questions from you …

My question is about Bruce Bowen. He in one of my favorites but in this season he isn’t producing for the team like other years. Don’t you think (Ime) Udoka is a better player right now and deserve more minutes??
-- Fernando, Buenos Aires

Finally, a letter from Argentina that doesn’t call for more minutes for Manu. Bowen is getting older, sure, but it’s probably unfair to say he’s completely slipped. I can think of a couple of games in the past month he has basically won for the Spurs with his individual defense (vs. Dwyane Wade and Miami; vs. Jamal Crawford and the Knicks, to name two).

The truth is, Udoka is getting more minutes, and he deserves them. But Bowen remains the Spurs’ most valuable defensive stopper.

How much longer will Pop coach the Spurs if they don’t have that superstar in the middle? I mean we have been blessed these past 18 years. What’s going to happen when Tim Duncan is retired and there’s no one to clog the middle?
-- Josh, Seguin

Our guess: If Duncan were to retire on a Sunday morning, Popovich will retire before brunch. (:lol)

A lot of the things that Pop has always preached do not appear to be happening -- rebounding, protecting the ball, and movement. Is this due to all of the injuries or all of the experimentation with lineups? Although I am not worried yet, I will be if this continues. Is Pop concerned about what position the Spurs could get by the playoffs?
-- D. Johnson, San Antonio

On the list of things Gregg Popovich cares passionately about, playoff seeding ranks just above the Silver Dancers’ halftime routine – but barely. He wouldn’t turn down the top seed, but he won’t kill his team to get it, either.

During the course of a 7-game series, the best team is given ample chances to win, either at home or away. The key is just getting to the postseason, which ought to be no small feat this season. Right now, five games separate winning the Western Conference from missing the playoffs altogether. Should be a fun second half.

While I think this was a great move by the Suns getting Shaq, would you say it was a panic move following the Spurs win against them last week?
-- Kevin, San Antonio

The Suns apparently believed they weren’t going to win an NBA title as constructed, which is an odd thing for a team winning the West to believe. However, they were probably right.

Every year, the Suns seem to peter out in the playoffs, when you have to be able to grind out a game or two during the course of a 7-game series. The Spurs have owned the Suns over the past several seasons, in part because Amare Stoudemire couldn’t guard the snack bar from Kate Moss. Adding O’Neal might not net the Suns a title, but what did they really have to lose? Besides G.M. Steve Kerr’s job, we mean.

Did the Lakers outthink the Spurs on the Gasol trade? Seems like that's a trade they should have done. Never mind the excuses that trade needs to get done.
-- Ray, San Antonio

The Lakers had a key bargaining chip to make that deal work: A $9 million waste of space named Kwame Brown. Nobody on the Spurs makes that much except for Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Even if R.C. Buford went temporarily insane and decided to deal one of those players, none of them have expiring contracts – so the cost-slashing Grizzlies wouldn’t have wanted them anyway.
OK, I understand that the Suns don't need five guys for a fast break but how efficient their fast break will be when the officials stop it because the opponent uses the Hack-a-Shaq?
-- Daniel, Budapest

That’s actually an interesting point. Somebody get Don Nelson on the phone.

Ginobili is a really good sport. I live in DC and attended last night’s game. During a timeout the Wizards events people were doing a silly “kiss-cam” and put the camera on the Spurs bench, on Oberto and Ginobili. Ginobili noticed it and kissed Oberto on the cheek. The crowd got a great laugh.
-- A.W., Washington, D.C.

We’re guessing that made for a more appropriate kiss-cam moment than Isiah Thomas and Stephon Marbury. Or Marbury and a certain Knicks intern.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
If the names of random marginal NBA players are zipping through the Internet between Spurs fans’ parents’ basements and the laptop belonging to the Mailbag, it must be trade deadline season.

I wouldn't call Miller or Nocioni marginal.

Mr. Body
02-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I hate how condescending this writer can be.

And no, Mike Miller is not a marginal player in this league. He's a ROY and SMOY and is enjoying a very good season.

As for Brent Barry, he reinjured himself after returning from his first lengthy layoff. I don't think we can consider him likely to play at any time the rest of the year; if there is a trade for him that will improve us, then do it.

duncan228
02-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm trying to like McDonald but he's not making it easy.

I was a Ludden fan, I miss him.

I really don't know if McDonald will last, no one seems to like him.

BonnerDynasty
02-12-2008, 11:47 PM
So if you have a computer, you're in your parents' basements?

:lmao

I can keep up to date on the Spurs 10x faster by coming here than I can by reading newspapers or listening to T.V./radio.

baseline bum
02-12-2008, 11:51 PM
This McDonald guy is off to a really bad start. I can't stand NBA writers who think they're Jerry Seinfeld. The only one who pulls it off is Bill Simmons (he's funny as shit). It's like everyone thinks he's Rome right now or something.

His answer on the Gasol trade is retarded. Elson + injured Barry and their expiring deals would have gotten the team pretty close to meeting the salary requirements of that deal with Finley's and Horry's expiring contracts to spare. I feel like if I sent him a question asking why the team doesn't run some double screens for Manu or post Tim less on the right block and more often on the left where he shoots a much higher percentage and can face up in addition to backing it down I'd get some smart-ass response about being a dumbass who doesn't have four rings on his fingers.

m33p0
02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Judging from our e-mail inbox, several Spurs fans wanted their team to make a run at Suns-turned-Heat-player Shawn Marion. One emailer even suggested a trade that would have sent Michael Finley, Jacque Vaughn, Brent Barry, Robert Horry, Francisco Elson and (ostensibly) a partridge in a pear tree to Phoenix to get him.

what idiot would suggest something like that? he's making that up.

Mr. Body
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM
what idiot would suggest something like that? he's making that up.

No doubt he gets cock-up emails asking, "why don't we trade for Kobe?" "why didn't we trade for Garnett?" But it's his responsibility not to parse together dumb fanboy questions and real questions about where the team is going. He has the tendency to treat them all the same, and condescend. Condescention + lack of humor = piss.

remingtonbo2001
02-13-2008, 12:22 AM
what idiot would suggest something like that?

Ghost Writer.

SenorSpur
02-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Message to McDonald:
How about posting some real questions for a change?

T Park
02-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Maybe he doesn't get any :lol

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-13-2008, 02:56 AM
i always say i cant stand buck harvey and the corny way he ends all his articles but nobody ever agrees. wonder if hes ever been on here

carina_gino20
02-13-2008, 03:17 AM
How much longer will Pop coach the Spurs if they don’t have that superstar in the middle? I mean we have been blessed these past 18 years. What’s going to happen when Tim Duncan is retired and there’s no one to clog the middle?
-- Josh, Seguin

Our guess: If Duncan were to retire on a Sunday morning, Popovich will retire before brunch.

That's too late. Pop said he would retire 30 seconds after. :lol

timvp
02-13-2008, 03:52 AM
My question is about Bruce Bowen. He in one of my favorites but in this season he isn’t producing for the team like other years. Don’t you think (Ime) Udoka is a better player right now and deserve more minutes??
-- Fernando, Buenos Aires With Parker injured, Manu Fan has decided to now aim their venom at Bowen.

Classic.

Bruno
02-13-2008, 05:42 AM
But Spurs fans (apparently) want Mike Miller. Or Corey Maggette. Or Andres Nocioni.

Maybe McDonald called these players marginal because he knows that Spurs will get a player way more significant than them. :smokin
Time to collude and bring Lebron to SA for Elson.

On a more serious note, Nocioni and Miller are two players who make a lot of sense among realistic to semi realistic options.

venitian navigator
02-13-2008, 06:41 AM
I tried to trade in the "real gm trade checker" Nocioni for Barry and Elson (tehe salaries of the two ar pretty much the some of the argentinian one) but the system says that the trade does nort work because of the BYC (and only S. Antonio satisfied the provision...).
Any explanation ?
Assuming the trade chacker is accurate, ther's some trade that could bring us Nocioni ?

Bruno
02-13-2008, 06:46 AM
BYC makes Nocioni hard to trade. A deal with him likely should be a 3 teams trade.

Ludden in his power ranking is still talking about Mike Miller to Spurs :
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiM8sgjVvVD.dejuMDevMP28vLYF?slug=jy-powerrankings021208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

7. (8) San Antonio Spurs – Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Memphis' decision to ship Gasol to the Lakers was "beyond comprehension" and wished the NBA would form a committee to "scratch all trades that make no sense." Unless, of course, the Grizzlies decide to ship Mike Miller to the Spurs for Fabricio Oberto's beard. Then that deal would be groovy.

Maybe he was talking about Miller to do a joke, maybe Spurs are still trying to get Mike Miller despite Pop comments about the Gasol trade....

Mr. Body
02-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I can't imagine Miller will ever be a Spur, it's probably Ludden's residual Spurdom. The Spurs would have tied up in four players a massive chunk of their luxury cap salaries. And it's likely Memphis isn't really shopping him much; I fully believe the Gasol trade was collusion.

mountainballer
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
some rumors had the Heat as front runners in a virtual Miller auction. I can see that the Grizzlies bite, if the Heat offer them Williams plus Cook. so the Heat could reunite Conley and Cook as their backcourt for the future and have the security that this tandem works together well.
(and Mike Conley Sr., who is also the agent of Cook, will work hard to make such a trade reality. in Miami Cook will never get the same number of shots / minutes playing behind or alongside Wade)

Mr. Body
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
some rumors had the Heat as front runners in a virtual Miller auction. I can see that the Grizzlies bite, if the Heat offer them Williams plus Cook. so the Heat could reunite Conley and Cook as their backcourt for the future and have the security that this tandem works together well.

If that's true, it's been a great season for Riley. Getting rid of Shaq amounted to a get-out-of-jail-free card. Trading Williams back to Memphis in return for more than what he got him for is almost unthinkable. It's irritating the Spurs are never recipients of exceedingly favorable trades like that; I know... four championships, yadda yadda.

The Truth #6
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
With Parker injured, Manu Fan has decided to now aim their venom at Bowen.

Classic.

Maybe. But I do think Bowen's consistency has slipped some. He still puts up good games, but not as many in a row.

urunobili
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe. But I do think Bowen's consistency has slipped some. He still puts up good games, but not as many in a row.
because he has grown older a bit and he knows his chances of getting the DPOF award are really low.. he is just saving the tank for the playoffs... i don;t think we'll be even thinking about this come playoff time.. Bruce has two or three more playoff runs on him...

WalterBenitez
02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021208.SpursMailbag.en.b6e7d017.html

Finally, a letter from Argentina that doesn’t call for more minutes for Manu. Bowen is getting older, sure, but it’s probably unfair to say he’s completely slipped. I can think of a couple of games in the past month he has basically won for the Spurs with his individual defense (vs. Dwyane Wade and Miami; vs. Jamal Crawford and the Knicks, to name two).

We don't call :oops ... we demand :p:

WalterBenitez
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to like McDonald but he's not making it easy.
I was a Ludden fan, I miss him.
I really don't know if McDonald will last, no one seems to like him.

Call me if you find the complaining list to sign on it :nerd

Princess Pimp
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you really think the Spurs are going to trade for Mike Miller after all the trash popazit talked about the Grizzlies management after the Gasol trade?

Keep hoping, because your reign is OVER!!!

No trades for you.

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Ghost Writer.
:lol

Now go fvck yourselves!

I'm begging for the front office to improve this team.

SenorSpur
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I've always said, just because you win a championship is no reason not look for improvments. No disrepect intended, but our championship team of last year was not a flawless one. Not by a long shot.

Winning is a great deodorant.

Winning a championship trophy is potpouri, rose petals and fragrant perfume.

Mr. Body
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you really think the Spurs are going to trade for Mike Miller after all the trash popazit talked about the Grizzlies management after the Gasol trade?

I'm not sure who popazit is, but the rest is as good a reason as any why Miller's not coming to the Spurs. Popavich wouldn't be berating their management if he were working with them.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Classic.

WTF?? where in there does it mention Manu? I guess him being from Buenos Aires means he's incapable of being more than a Manu homer... I realize you don't like overzealous Manu fans, but now its just getting ridiculous.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Classic.

That's the best you can do? C'mon, you have better bait than that.