PDA

View Full Version : Insurgents Outnumber Coalition Troops in Iraq

Nbadan
01-06-2005, 03:00 AM
The conservative Washington Times takes note of the roiling pre-election situation in Iraq, where insurgent forces and sympathizers willing to help them reportedly now outnumber U.S. and nascent Iraqi government forces -- with as many as 200,000 working against the occupation. The assessment comes from the head of Iraq's new intelligence services, who points to the many months of chaos, and the lack of basic infrastructure and security as the cause. (Interestingly, almost none of the major media seem to have picked up the story yet.)

"Iraq's director of intelligence says there are now more Arabic insurgents in Iraq than there are U.S.-led coalition soldiers, The Times of London said Tuesday.

"'I think the resistance is bigger than the U.S. military in Iraq. I think the resistance is more than 200,000 people,' said Gen. Muhammad Abdullah Shahwani, director of Iraq's new intelligence services. Shahwani said there were at least 40,000 hardcore fighters attacking U.S. and Iraqi troops, with the bulk made up of part-time guerrillas and volunteers providing logistical support, information, shelter and money.

"'People are fed up after two years without improvement,' he said. 'People are fed up with no security, no electricity -- people feel they have to do something.'

Washington Times (http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050104-110330-6820r.htm)

Just a few dead-heads, dead-enders, and former regime loyalists - nothing to worry about here folks - move on!

Useruser666
01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
"'I think the resistance is bigger than the U.S. military in Iraq. I think the resistance is more than 200,000 people,' said Gen. Muhammad Abdullah Shahwani, director of Iraq's new intelligence services. Shahwani said there were at least 40,000 hardcore fighters attacking U.S. and Iraqi troops, with the bulk made up of part-time guerrillas and volunteers providing logistical support, information, shelter and money.

Please note the bolded words in the quote. Also note that like the US forces the insurgents are mostly made up of volunteers and part timers. I wonder if the terrorists have a had a draft yet?

2centsworth
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I wonder if the terrorists have a had a draft yet

No need for a draft, the American Left continues to join forces.

NeoConIV
01-06-2005, 12:09 PM
No need for a draft, the American Left continues to join forces.
Touche...

Yonivore
01-06-2005, 01:33 PM
hogwash...

those 200,000 are like the 200,000 Michael Moore wannabes, in this country, who will whine about U.S. military involvement but never pick up a weapon to fight it.

We're really talking about 30,000 or 40,000 armed terrorists and, consequently, the 200,000 will diminish in direct proportion to the U.S. military's elimination of the 30,000 to 40,000.

Oh, and what does it say when the entire insurgency (including the 200,000) represents less than 2 percent of the population? Sounds to me like there are more people in the United States rooting for the terrorists in Iraq than there are in Iraq rooting for the terrorists in Iraq. Interesting...

NeoConIV
01-06-2005, 02:43 PM
The Iraqi elections will change the dynamics on the ground as well. Should see a slow insurgency dissipation as Iraqi governace goes forward. Steady but sure.

Yonivore
01-06-2005, 02:59 PM
The Iraqi elections will change the dynamics on the ground as well. Should see a slow insurgency dissipation as Iraqi governace goes forward. Steady but sure.
I agree...I think it's funny how the Iraqis are more optimistic than the American Left.

NeoConIV
01-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I agree...I think it's funny how the Iraqis are more optimistic than the American Left.
And that's not saying much. Especially when a bad day in Iraq is a good day for Washington Democrats.

Nbadan
01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
And that's not saying much. Especially when a bad day in Iraq is a good day for Washington Democrats.

:lol

I would say that with the tough questioning of Gonzalez during his confirmation hearing, and then the electoral vote fiasco in what should have been a ceremonial hearing, but turned into a shouting match about voting irregularities, things went pretty good for Progressives today.

NeoConIV
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
:nope

US, Iraq still going in right direction, despite pathetic sore-loserism shenanigans.

Nbadan
01-06-2005, 04:31 PM
US, Iraq still going in right direction, despite pathetic sore-loserism shenanigans.

Why? is the coalition with drawling from Sunni-controlled Iraq? Everything else is status quo in Iraq - the insurgency continues to grow. Even if it is only 30,000-40,000 full-time, active insurgents, modern anti-guerrilla war tactics dictate a 10-1 ratio to neutralize the enemy. This means the U.S. needs between 300,000 and 400,000 troops to quell the current insurgents.

NeoConIV
01-06-2005, 04:34 PM
This means the U.S. needs between 300,000 and 400,000 troops to quell the current insurgents.

I contend our current forces plus free elections will do the terrorists in, but I hear you. We shall see.

2centsworth
01-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I would say that with the tough questioning of Gonzalez during his confirmation hearing, and then the electoral vote fiasco in what should have been a ceremonial hearing, but turned into a shouting match about voting irregularities, things went pretty good for Progressives today.

More like it will cost the liberals/progressives/communist whatever you want to call yourselves a few more seats in two years.

Yonivore
01-07-2005, 06:27 PM
More like it will cost the liberals/progressives/communist whatever you want to call yourselves a few more seats in two years.
That's what I'm talking about!

Hook Dem
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
:lol

Please keep digging your hole deeper! This can only help the right. I'll say one thing for you. You're going down with guns blazing. :lol

Yonivore
01-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Please keep digging your hole deeper! This can only help the right. I'll say one thing for you. You're going down with guns blazing. :lol
Guns? Surely not!

Hook Dem
01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry Yoni! Bad choice of word. How bout"gums"? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Why? is the coalition with drawling from Sunni-controlled Iraq? Everything else is status quo in Iraq - the insurgency continues to grow

Your hands must be awfully dirty pulling "facts" and "stats" out of your ass so often.

Nbadan
01-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Your hands must be awfully dirty pulling "facts" and "stats" out of your ass so often.

Yeah, it's all just propaganda. :rolleyes

Blistering attacks threaten Iraq election
Analysis
By Paul Reynolds
World Affairs Correspondent, BBC News website

While the world's attention has been on the disaster in Asia, the situation in Iraq has deteriorated so much that the insurgency has developed into near-open warfare.

The killing of Baghdad's governor is another example of violence

The head of Iraq's intelligence service Gen Muhammad Shahwani now puts the number of insurgents at 200,000, of which 40,000 are said to be the hard core and the rest active supporters.

BBC.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4145585.stm)

Yonivore
01-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Sorry Yoni! Bad choice of word. How bout"gums"? :lol
That's much better...nice visual too!