PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons on Shaq/Suns

Xylus
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Everybody is down on the Shaq deal. Guess what?
Everybody is wrong.
by Bill Simmons

You probably have been waiting to read one writer dumb enough to defend the Shaq trade. Well, look no further. Here I am.

Remember, I'm the guy who wrote a column called "Welcome to the No Balls Association" last year, after the deadline passed without a major trade. I found it appalling that so many GMs had a chance to compete for a title—whether it was a puncher's chance or a legitimate one—except nobody had the imagination or testicular fortitude to go all in. Instead, the entire league checked on the flop.

So it would be hypocritical of me to crush Steve Kerr and the Suns. Yeah, they could have gotten more for Shawn Marion. Yeah, you never want to make a trade in which the other team responds, "We'll do it!" in 0.00045 seconds. (Kerr could have at least pushed the Heat for the right to swap first-rounders once between 2009 and 2013.) Yeah, this was like Phoenix's getting Jack Nicholson in the Departed stage of his career instead of The Shining or even As Good as It Gets. Yeah, there's a good possibility that this will fail miserably and Kerr will be back on TNT before we know it.

But that's the cool thing: If the trade doesn't work, Kerr gets canned. If it does work, he's a genius. There is no middle ground. We rarely see an NBA executive put himself in such a position because the basketball universe is so much more public now, thanks to a phalanx of websites, blogs and message boards on which everyone thinks they're smarter than every GM. Screw up once, and you're raked through the coals for eternity. Why would anyone ever roll the dice and risk his job?

Well, Kerr didn't care what anyone might think. He spent three months watching his Suns play joyless, businesslike basketball and be abused by every quality low-post scorer. Everyone else on the team seemed beaten down by having to cater to Marion and Amaré, and Steve Nash looked like a dispirited alpha dog on a Survivor tribe that keeps falling short in every challenge. On paper, assuming he isn't washed-up, Shaq was a logical play for a team that desperately needed a big guy and better chemistry. Who breathes life into a moribund team like Shaq if he's in a good mood? It's like adding Jeffrey Ross to a celebrity roast dais: You can't quantify his impact.

There was also an addition-by-subtraction element everyone ignored—namely, what was so indispensable about Marion? A year ago, this magazine wrote a story about Marion in which he admitted he couldn't decide if it would be more fun to be part of a great team or to be the best player on a decent one. It's not that he's a bad guy, just a little delusional, the David Caruso of the game: someone who doesn't realize how good he has it until it is taken away.

IT'S NOT THAT MARION IS A BAD GUY, JUST A LITTLE DELUSIONAL.

And yeah, I know he's talented, and the stat geeks love him, even though he peaked as an impact player two seasons ago and has a nasty habit of disappearing in big games. But here's the smoking-gun question: When Marion was sent from the best team in the West to the worst team in the East, was he bummed? Was he furious about losing out on a potential ring? Was he depressed about being banished to hoops hell? No, no and no. By all accounts, he was excited to be making a fresh start.

And the Suns are supposed to miss him? Huh? Now factor in these four points:

1. Shaq played on one-dimensional teams with subpar supporting casts for the past seven seasons; during much of that time (2005 and 2006 excepted), he uneasily coexisted with spectacular scorers who did their best work while everyone else stood around and watched. I know Shaq has looked terrible this year, but you know what? Vintage Kareem would have looked just as bad watching D-Wade go one-on-three on a cancer-ridden team. The Suns didn't trade for Shaq as much as they rescued him. If anything can rejuvenate him, that will.

2. Shaq hasn't played with a high-quality point guard … (wait for it) … (I'm serious) … ever! Not once! Everyone knows that Magic extended Kareem's career. You mean to say Nash couldn't make life similarly easy for Shaq? He couldn't draw Shaq's guy away from him, then find the big man for layups and dunks? Shaq wouldn't run the floor if he knew he was getting the ball? Why is Kenny Smith the only one pointing out that it's easier for an aging big guy to run the floor than to battle in a bruising half-court game?

3. The difference between Nicholson in The Departed and Shaq in Phoenix is simple: Jack's performance failed because Jack thought it was good. He believed all the mugging and over-the-top theatrics were a good idea, and nobody told him differently because he's Jack. Had he approached the job like Shaq is approaching his Phoenix stint—humbled and inspired, with something to prove—he might have submitted a classic performance. The Suns medical staff has had enormous success perking up the careers of Nash and Grant Hill, two other talents who had been struggling to play with banged-up bodies. They just might be able to cajole a comeback from a motivated Diesel. It's not unrealistic, right?

4. The financial issues of this trade have been overblown. Shaq makes less money than Marion and Marcus Banks will in 2008 and 2009. As for the $20 million owed him in 2010, there is always a market for expiring contracts, as the Lakers recently proved by dealing Kwame Brown's corpse for Pau Gasol.

Really, I see no downside for Phoenix other than the 50% chance that Shaq is more washed-up than Katie Couric. But as we learned in No Country for Old Men, life is a series of coin flips. Sometimes you get heads; other times, tails. But you need to flip the coin to find out. After the NBA suits seemed to agree to keep things as safe and predictable as possible, Steve Kerr said, "Screw it, I'm calling heads" and went Anton Chigurh on us.

Kerr got crushed for the trade because nobody would have blamed him for standing pat. Yup, that's the league we love, a league in which you're better off doing nothing than something. I hated this and said as much in that dot-com column. It means that even if I didn't agree with the trade, I'd have to support it, ignoring my memories of Shaq plodding up and down the floor in Miami like a mummy and placing my faith in Phoenix's crack medical staff, a group of people I've never even met.

But I'm not crazy. The Suns didn't have a chance of winning a title two weeks ago. Now? They're an intriguing choice. And they definitely have a higher ceiling. They have upside. Isn't the definition of a good deal one that betters the state you're in? If the basketball gods exist, Shaq will find the fountain of youth in the desert instead of a fountain of gravy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really am.

Regardless, it's probably a good idea for Kerr to switch from briefs to boxers. Those giant cojones could use the extra room.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill Simmons thinks the Suns are the greatest at everything. Shocker.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I really believe in a 3-way battle royale between the Sox, Patriots, & Suns.....Simmons would pick the Suns. There's no team he has a bigger hard-on for.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I do agree that Kerr should be applauded for having the balls to pull this trade off, though. I wish other pussy GM's would take a cue *coughDonnieNelsoncough*

Xylus
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Kerr could have squeezed a little more out of the Heat, perhaps a swap of draft picks, because like Simmons said, the Heat didn't think twice about pulling the trigger. A more experienced GM probably could have made that happen.

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
The Suns would have sold the picks anyways... Kerr was thinking of us fans and how we'd probably die when the acquired picks are merely traded away as they have been for the last five drafts.

Xylus
02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
The Suns would have sold the picks anyways... Kerr was thinking of us fans and how we'd probably die when the acquired picks are merely traded away as they have been for the last five drafts.
Please stop talking sense, JMark.

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I hold no hopes for this Atlanta pick. Maybe if it were the top-10 pick it was expected to be, but with it likely falling in the 15-to-20 range, I could see him trading it for a 2nd-rounder or two and 3 million cash.

I know that's not Kerr, but Sarver pays Kerr's contract, so if Sarver says it, Kerr will have to do it.

Xylus
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I hold no hopes for this Atlanta pick. Maybe if it were the top-10 pick it was expected to be, but with it likely falling in the 15-to-20 range, I could see him trading it for a 2nd-rounder or two and 3 million cash.

I know that's not Kerr, but Sarver pays Kerr's contract, so if Sarver says it, Kerr will have to do it.
Don't be so sure. The Hawks are on rapid decline; 3-game losing streak, players are unhappy, and they're on the cusp of losing that 8th seed. Philadelphia is nipping at their heels right now, and Chicago is bound to turn it on eventually... right?

Or maybe Marion will turn the Heat around and improve our pick. :lol They're only...uhh...13 games behind.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
So on the whole, do most suns fans approve of this trade? I mean shaq hasn't even played yet so I'm sure there's more of a "let's wait and see" vibe as oppose to a definite yes or no, but for the suns fans that post here, are you excited about shaq or do you think letting Marion go for an over the hill shaq was too much?

JamStone
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Simmons is an idiot. But, oddly, he makes some good points in this article.

Xylus
02-13-2008, 01:42 PM
So on the whole, do most suns fans approve of this trade? I mean shaq hasn't even played yet so I'm sure there's more of a "let's wait and see" vibe as oppose to a definite yes or no, but for the suns fans that post here, are you excited about shaq or do you think letting Marion go for an over the hill shaq was too much?
I think the Suns weren't going to win the championship with that lineup, a move needed to be made for a competent big man, and so a move was made. Could a better move have been made? Possibly, but I'm not a GM, and I don't pretend to know better than Steve Kerr.

This trade has such a huge +/- factor, it's ridiculous. It could send us into the cellar, or skyrocket us to a championship. Since we weren't going to get anywhere with Marion and Amare occupying the 4 and 5 spots, it's a risk worth taking.

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm not mad that they traded Marion. I'd have loved to see him stay in Phoenix, but things weren't working out, he was demanding too much money and was pouting because of his even lessened role in the offense. So seeing Marion go isn't why I am still a bit miffed at this trade.

Hell, even acquiring Shaq isn't what annoys me. I think Shaq can help Phoenix in several areas of weakness and he adds, FINALLY, a big body.

However, I don't feel they got good return for Marion and do think the Heat should have thrown in at least one future 1st. Not swap 1sts with Phoenix, but give one first. It didn't have to be for two years or so, but for the longterm, Miami is far better off doing the deal than Phoenix is, and it's a toss up whether or not the trade helps Phoenix in the present. So with these factors, I can't help but feel the Suns got taken.

Overall, I'd have to say the fact that Shaq arrival and Marions departure creates as many, if not more, holes than it fills, I'm more upset that Sarver is likely to sit on roughly 11 million in trades exceptions, one an 8 million exception for the FT trade and the other a nearly 3 million exception from the James Jones trade, rather than use some of them to fill the need positions of backup PG and wing defender. They don't even have to go after Artest or Cassell, but it doesn't appear they are going to use either, relying rather on a league minimum player who's unlikely to make an impact, resting on an aged Shaq to be the push that help them clear the Western Conference. They have issues. The same issues they've had for years and now an added issue with the loss of a quality defender in Marion, but rather than do all he can do to win the first Title.

It appears Sarver thinks Suns fans will be thrilled enough by having Shaq that they'll forget about the other issues that will continue to be ignored and the uncertainty of whether he'll be enough to justify fans' excitement about the possibility of winning the first Title in franchise history.

He's insulting us by dangling the name of Shaq, thinking us fans are just going to throw money at him because he brought in a big name.

Hey Sarver, you want my money, bring the Suns a Title.

ajh18
02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
"2. Shaq hasn't played with a high-quality point guard … (wait for it) … (I'm serious) … ever! Not once! Everyone knows that Magic extended Kareem's career. You mean to say Nash couldn't make life similarly easy for Shaq? He couldn't draw Shaq's guy away from him, then find the big man for layups and dunks? Shaq wouldn't run the floor if he knew he was getting the ball? Why is Kenny Smith the only one pointing out that it's easier for an aging big guy to run the floor than to battle in a bruising half-court game?"

Penny Hardaway says hi.

JMarkJohns
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
"2. Shaq hasn't played with a high-quality point guard … (wait for it) … (I'm serious) … ever! Not once! Everyone knows that Magic extended Kareem's career. You mean to say Nash couldn't make life similarly easy for Shaq? He couldn't draw Shaq's guy away from him, then find the big man for layups and dunks? Shaq wouldn't run the floor if he knew he was getting the ball? Why is Kenny Smith the only one pointing out that it's easier for an aging big guy to run the floor than to battle in a bruising half-court game?"

Penny Hardaway says hi.

Penny was a rising star, but he was flawed as a shooter. He went a long way alongside Shaq, but while he was supremely talented and showed immense potential, I just can't say he was elite. I know Simmons said high-quality, but I figure that's deliberate wording to cause a stir.

Jeremy
02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Penny was more of a 2-guard than a true point guard, and later in his career he moved to the 2.