PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein - Kidd To Mavs "Imminent"

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244102

Jason Kidd has quietly -- and not so quietly -- hoped for a trade to the Dallas Mavericks all season.

And now Kidd has stronger-than-ever hope that the wish will be granted, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that talks between the Mavericks and Nets, which had seemingly stalled, grew serious after the teams played Sunday night in New Jersey and have moved them to the brink of completing the NBA's third blockbuster deal of the month.

Although sources say that the teams are still sorting out final details, this deal was described as "imminent" by one source close to the process after negotiations moved to an advanced stage Tuesday night. The proposed swap -- salvaged from talks of a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- would require Dallas to send 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSegana Diop and swingman Devean George and another player such as guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and possibly veteran guard Darrell Armstrong. It's believed that Dallas would also send New Jersey cash and future draft considerations.

Dallas has been widely considered the most likely winner of the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters Sunday before New Jersey beat Dallas that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster.

"For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening.

Yet sources close to the process insist that the talks have heated up in the past 24 hours, with the Mavs still tantalized by the prospect of bringing Kidd back more than a decade after the pre-Cuban regime drafted him out of Cal, watched him share rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994-95 and then traded him to Phoenix on the day after Christmas in 1996.

The Mavs' biggest reservation, though, isn't sacrificing Harris. Sources maintain that Dallas, while reluctant to part with one of Cuban's favorite players and its point guard of the future after signing Harris to a contract extension over the summer, has been resigned for some time to losing Harris if it meant getting Kidd back.

The greater hesitation, sources said, is that they would also have to part with Stackhouse and Diop, weakening Dallas' depth. Although it's believed that Stackhouse is likely to be bought out and released by the Nets, which would enable Dallas to re-sign him if he sits out for 30 days, there's no guarantee they can convince Stackhouse to resist the interest of other teams to return once he becomes a free agent. Losing Diop, meanwhile, is an even bigger blow, as that would leave the undependable Erick Dampier as the Mavericks' only veteran center at a time when potential playoff foes like the Los Angeles Lakers (Pau Gasol) and Phoenix Suns (Shaquille O'Neal) are getting bigger.

But Dallas appears more motivated than ever in spite of those concerns and the current lack of a third team to join in and broaden the trade, believing that Kidd -- although he turns 35 in March and is threatening to establish a new career low with his 36.7 percent shooting from the field -- is still a prime source of leadership and mental toughness.

Kidd displayed those qualities in abundance during a strong summer with Team USA and those areas are well-chronicled weak spots for the Mavs, who followed up a historic collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals with a first-round flameout against Golden State after winning 67 games last season. A point guard of Kidd's caliber, influence and experience would undoubtedly please the demanding Avery Johnson, reinvigorate a team that has been lacking energy and confidence and supply Dallas' coach with a dangerous four-man core of Kidd, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is the player Kidd has had in mind when privately telling associates in recent months that he hoped to go back to Dallas. Although his desire to leave New Jersey had been suspected all season, Kidd didn't go public with that wish until late January, when he told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it's time for him and New Jersey "all to move on" in separate directions.

Kidd was acquired by the Nets in the 2001 offseason in a trade with Phoenix featuring Stephon Marbury and sparked New Jersey to the most successful period in the team's NBA history, starting with back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. After giving strong consideration to signing with San Antonio in the summer of 2003, Kidd elected to stay with the Nets. During the past four-plus seasons, however, New Jersey has not advanced past the second round of the playoffs, despite the 2004 arrival of Vince Carter and Kidd's successful recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

The Nets were prepared to deal Kidd to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season but pulled out of the deal when the Lakers refused to part with center Andrew Bynum, who has since blossomed. This deal would give them a highly rated point guard who's 10 years younger than Kidd and three cap-friendly contracts if the Mavericks indeed include Ager.

The Nets could come away with even more salary-cap relief if the Mavericks built their trade package around Harris and a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn. Although he has been out of the game since the end of the 2005-06 season, Van Horn hasn't filed official retirement papers with the league, allowing Dallas to retain his rights. And because Van Horn's final NBA salary was nearly $16 million, Dallas can re-sign him for a substantial amount and thus create a lucrative expiring contract for the Nets, because only the first year of a contract must be guaranteed in a sign-and-trade arrangement.

Cuban, though, told ESPN.com last week that "we won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone." That's because Kidd would cost the Mavericks nearly $40 million next season, thanks to the luxury tax, if they sent only Harris, Van Horn and salary-cap filler to the Nets.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
As massive a boner as I get thinking of Jason Kidd in Dallas......Harris, Stack, AND Diop is a bit much.

Xylus
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
So with Harris, Diop, Stackhouse, and George gone, how deep does the lineup go?

baseline bum
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Just like Kobe was never going to play another game in a Laker uniform?

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
So with Harris, Diop, Stackhouse, and George gone, how deep does the lineup go?
Depth isn't an issue come playoff time. The Mavs will be rolling 7 deep just like everyone else.

Kidd, Jones, Howard, Dirk, Damp with Terry & Bass on the bench is pretty stout.

LakeShow
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow! :dizzy That deal is terrible for the mavs.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Just like Kobe was never going to play another game in a Laker uniform?
very true, i'll believe it when it's finalized. But Marc Stein is way more reliable than Ric Bucher.

ThomasGranger
02-13-2008, 01:53 PM
That's too high a price for Kidd

himat
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Every West team is making blockbuster trades. This is getting insane.

baseline bum
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Jones sucks, and that trade is a massive screw-job for Dallas. Kidd can't guard shit and can't shoot. A panic move like this will drop Dallas to the lower half of the playoff bracket.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
And if the buyout talk is true, Stack will be back in Dallas anyways.

Harris/Diop/George for Kidd is a great deal IMO.

timvp
02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
So the Mavs trade their one player who can guard Parker, their best player at guarding Duncan and two players who have been Spurs killers for the last half decade for a guy who can't guard anyone on the Spurs?

Uh, where do I sign?

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Stack can't resign with Dallas for several months, if ever this season. I can't remember the specifics, but a traded player can no longer be acquired, then waived, then allowed to sign with the team that originally traded him. There's a certain number of months he has to wait before he can and I don't think it will end before the playoff roster deadline passes.

timvp
02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd say this trade on a whole is good for Dallas. It helps them against every team in the West ... except the Spurs. Harris and Diop were on the team especially to help defeat the Spurs and it paid off in 2006.

This is likely a win-win for Mav fans and Spurs fans. :lol

himat
02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
This is riskier than the Shaq trade.

bdictjames
02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
First off: Is this true? I saw ESPN reported it but I just wanted to be sure so I have plenty good reason to celebrate.

ApolloCreed
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Dallas would be stupid to do this trade.

Then again, this is the same team that passed on Steve Nash.

BillsCarnage
02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Depth isn't an issue come playoff time. The Mavs will be rolling 7 deep just like everyone else.

Oh Bullshit! That's one of the items ppl have ripped the Suns on for the past several years - too short of a rotation.

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
First off: Is this true? I saw ESPN reported it but I just wanted to be sure so I have plenty good reason to celebrate.
It's not official. But I trust Marc Stein far more than I trust Ric Bucher (the "Kobe Is Going To Dallas" guy).

DazedAndConfused
02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Dallas would be stupid to do this trade.

Then again, this is the same team that passed on Steve Nash.

Steve Nash doesn't work in a half court offense. They were smart to let him go.

maxpower
So the Mavs trade their one player who can guard Parker, their best player at guarding Duncan and two players who have been Spurs killers for the last half decade for a guy who can't guard anyone on the Spurs?

Uh, where do I sign?

Haven't you heard, the Mavs are more than over the Spurs hump.

They have beaten the Spurs therefore, like reaching the finals, it is their god-given right to expect the same results.

I think it took a 3rd title for me to feel entitled to a deep playoff run.

timvp
Dampier and Diop were the best duo in the league at guarding Duncan. Dampier by himself ... not so much. Harris, Stackhouse and George all played way over their heads anytime the Spurs and Mavs played.

I'm hoping this trade is true ... and I hope Stackhouse doesn't find his way back on the Mavs. The biggest roadblock in the West for the Spurs will become dismantled.

http://site.barkslope.com/images/blogimages/dogprayer.jpg
Please Happen.

monosylab1k
Oh Bullshit! That's one of the items ppl have ripped the Suns on for the past several years - too short of a rotation.
In the regular season.

The Mavericks always use a 7 man rotation in the playoffs, ocasionally stretching it to 8.

himat
02-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Kidd is going to be the Mavs leading rebounder. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Uh, where do I sign?

You owe me royalties for that take, I posted the same thing in the last Kidd to Dallas thread :lol

timvp
02-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Kidd, Jones, Howard, Dirk, Damp with Terry & Bass on the benchWow. Please happen.

mavsfan1000
02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
This would be a mistake of massive proportions. I don't think it will happen though. Just more bs.

ludda
02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I dont think its as bad as people are making it seem.

Mavs as currently constructed have a little chance of getting out of the West. Though Harris has been a Pest for the Spurs, he is nowhere near the caliber of JKidd and all the talk about ball movement and easier shots aren't going to happen with Harris running the point at least not this season.

Its very risky though. But Dirk and Howard aren't getting any younger and if you're waiting on Harris to develop and become the leader...that could be awhile if ever.

For the Spurs, this trade looks great though!

timvp
02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I dont think its as bad as people are making it seem.

Mavs as currently constructed have a little chance of getting out of the West. Though Harris has been a Pest for the Spurs, he is nowhere near the caliber of JKidd and all the talk about ball movement and easier shots aren't going to happen with Harris running the point at least not this season.

Its very risky though. But Dirk and Howard aren't getting any younger and if you're waiting on Harris to develop and become the leader...that could be awhile if ever.

For the Spurs, this trade looks great though!Agreed. It's probably a good trade for the Mavs. Kidd is a stud and will make life easier for everyone on the Mavs.

But as a Spurs fan who has seen Harris, Stackhouse, George and Diop kill the Spurs in recent years, this would be like an early Christmas gift. Stackhouse especially turns from Antoine Walker's skinnier caveman looking brother into Michael Jordan when he sees a Spurs uniform.

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
As a Suns fan I'm also thrilled because Diop gave Amare fits, Harris torched Nash and Stackhouse always punished Barbosa down low. Kidd can still get to Nash, but not in the same way Harris did.

sribb43
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh wow, the articles states in a seperate deal that the Mavs would acquire Antoine Wright for a 2nd round pick

monosylab1k
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Stack can't resign with Dallas for several months, if ever this season. I can't remember the specifics, but a traded player can no longer be acquired, then waived, then allowed to sign with the team that originally traded him. There's a certain number of months he has to wait before he can and I don't think it will end before the playoff roster deadline passes.
When did this rule come into effect? Just a couple years ago the Mavs did this with Alan Henderson.

Do the same rules apply to a buyout?

1Parker1
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
:lol This deal reminds me of the Shaq to Pheonix deal. Mavs as they are built now won't win any championship. Like the Suns, somewhat of their weakness is lack of mental toughness and a gimmicky outside shooting reliance style.

Mavs are in a tough spot: Their current team can beat the Spurs and Suns in a playoff series possibly with a 50-50 chance. But, they prolly wouldn't be able to beat whoever comes out of the East or even teams like the Jazz, Hornets, etc. With Kidd, they can beat those teams, but their chances of beating the Spurs and Suns get lowered. Tough call, it will come down to matchups and playoff seedings in the end.

Gosh, the West trades are getting ridiculous. It's becoming a game of "Let's see you Top this!" :lol

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes. It came into effect a few offseasons ago.

sribb43
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
When did this rule come into effect? Just a couple years ago the Mavs did this with Alan Henderson.

after payton was traded to the hawks a few years ago..the hawks released him and the C's resigned him immediately. After this, the nba ammended its CBA to were a players traded then waived cannot resign with his original team until 30 days after his release

if i were stack, id say F the Mavs, you traded me, im not going back im going to sign with the celtics, pistons, spurs, etc

baseline bum
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't see how this trade helps them vs other contenders. Harris has had some great games against the Lakers, and can they afford to lose bigman depth against LA's frontline in addition to the Spurs'?

Shank
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Stack can come back 30 days after a buyout. Who are you going to trust - Marc Stein and what he's written or what some douche on Spurstalk writes?

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Thirty days isn't near the length I thought it was. If they pull the trigger today, then maybe Stack can be resigned in time for the playoff roster?

ludda
02-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Mavs offense is predicated on jumpshots, each player creating for themselves and thus they often get bogged down and when defenses tighten, they don't have any ball movement or easy shots. Kidd helps there big time.

ON the other hand

Harris is younger, better defender, and still improving. Good against certain matchups but not the leader or floor general the Mavs lack.

ludda
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
BTW this is on NBA.com.

Looks like it will probably happen!! Holy shit.

bdictjames
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
cbssportsline, up top, says it done. Tony Mejia isnt that shabby of a media man.

clambake
02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
jason kidd signs with mavs and breaks ankle while boarding a plane for dfw.

reverse jinx-mode has been activated.

ancestron
02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
this would make the Nets the Spurs new nemesis lol

ApolloCreed
02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
As a Suns fan I'm also thrilled because Diop gave Amare fits, Harris torched Nash and Stackhouse always punished Barbosa down low. Kidd can still get to Nash, but not in the same way Harris did.

Stackhouse actually gave the Suns more problems than Harris did.

Not a good move for the mavs.

BillsCarnage
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Don't forget the Suns were going to wait and see if anyone was bought out..
If that happens I be the Suns will inquire. I wouldn't mind Stack in a Suns uni too ;-)

Jeremy
02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
and can they afford to lose bigman depth against LA's frontline in addition to the Spurs'?

You forgot the Suns'. ;)