PDA

View Full Version : Suns close to adding Artest?

texasqb2
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
This would definitely scare me if it happens...I think they took a step backwards adding O'Neal and losing Marion, but Artest would be big.

I don't know if there is any credibility to this, but David Thorpe didn't dismiss it. This is from his ESPN chat.

eric phoenix AZ: The word in Phoenix is that the Suns may be closing in on Ron Artest. What are you hearing and how would he fit into the mix?

David Thorpe: Ugh.

MoSpur
02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Umm...that doesn't sound credible at all.

m33p0
02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
kings offering artest a buyout or what? if its through a trade, for who?

AZLouis
02-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Suns have a trade exception from the Kurt Thomas firesale that matches Ron Artest's salary.

One of the local stations in AZ has reported that the Suns have made contact with the Kings.

This is the same source that broke the Shaq trade in the valley. And is also the same source that will report message board rumors

Take it with a grain of salt.

So is there more to the response or does "ugh" pretty much qualify this as credible?

T Park
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
David Thorpe looks like someone responding to a "Lets trade Brent Barry for Lebron James"

mrsmaalox
02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
They already have Stoudemire, they added Shaq, and now they are considering Artest? Are they trying to win a championship or have the lowest IQ in the NBA?

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
The luxury tax hit makes it seem unlikely, but one never knows.

nkdlunch
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
please add him. it will make it much sweeter when we beat them again.

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
A part of me really, really likes this if true. Artest for the exception/Atl 1st really fills a need for this current team and doesn't part with anything they aren't likely to part with anyways (Atlanta 1st).

I've got concerns, but they need Artest more than they don't need him.

Mr. Body
02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
They're just going to add a huge salary just like that, after selling players with draft picks for years?

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
He's not a HUGE salary and he isn't a long-term commitment. It could work for this year. If it doesn't, Artest packs his bags and opts out. If it does and Artest is willing to play out his contract, he's on the books for one more season at 8 million.

I know, as ChumpDumper has pointed out that his salary doubles thanks to the luxury tax, so who knows, but it's an intriguing possibility.

Slohoop
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
They already have Stoudemire, they added Shaq, and now they are considering Artest? Are they trying to win a championship or have the lowest IQ in the NBA?

:lol

objective
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong . . .

but don't trade exceptions expire?

I thought the K-Thomas exception would have expired by now, it's been at least 6 months.

vander
02-13-2008, 04:36 PM

well it is basketball, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive

JMarkJohns
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong . . .

but don't trade exceptions expire?

I thought the K-Thomas exception would have expired by now, it's been at least 6 months.

I believe you have one year from the trade being made official.

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
If they get Artest, throw in the towel.

Spurs are shook.

101A
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I've never been a fan of a team that built a squad for a single championship; as this Phoenix team is doing. If they were to add Artest, a full 60% of their starting lineup would be new this year, and 40% of it would only play half a season. Nash has only been with them for, what, 3.5 seasons?

Watching the Spurs win was so nice, and continues to be, because of the feelings of going through the trials and tribulations of not just the team, but its players. '99 was great because it got a ring for Sean, David and Avery - '03, Admirals last year; '05 the team doing it without Dave, '07 - hell, we're just greedy.

Anyway, if the Suns get Artest, everybody gels, and they win it all; do the fans care how they got there - and of all players, Ron, malcontent brawler Artest?

Does it matter?

If the Spurs could work a 12 team trade right now to bring in the top 12 players NOT on the Spurs, and run with that for a championship, would we care about that team? I don't think so.

101A
02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Also,

When teams finally finish strapping on the firepower, and the Spurs STILL win the championship. Can they, finally, unconditionally, be labeled a dynasty?

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I've never been a fan of a team that built a squad for a single championship; as this Phoenix team is doing. If they were to add Artest, a full 60% of their starting lineup would be new this year, and 40% of it would only play half a season. Nash has only been with them for, what, 3.5 seasons?

Watching the Spurs win was so nice, and continues to be, because of the feelings of going through the trials and tribulations of not just the team, but its players. '99 was great because it got a ring for Sean, David and Avery - '03, Admirals last year; '05 the team doing it without Dave, '07 - hell, we're just greedy.

Anyway, if the Suns get Artest, everybody gels, and they win it all; do the fans care how they got there - and of all players, Ron, malcontent brawler Artest?

Does it matter?

If the Spurs could work a 12 team trade right now to bring in the top 12 players NOT on the Spurs, and run with that for a championship, would we care about that team? I don't think so.
Listen, pal... you try rooting for a team that has not had the grand fortune of 2 all-franchise #1 lottery picks that led to multiple titles and tell me you would not trade your left nut for the glory of one title.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
If they get Artest, throw in the towel.

Spurs are shook.You already have thrown in the towel.

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
You already have thrown in the towel.
No I have not, fvcker.

While you are still drowning in the "Gasol trade collusion" thread, I have been making the homers' best cases as to how the Spurs can still overcome all this adversity.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
No I have not, fvcker.Sure you have.
While you are still drowning in the "Gasol trade collusion" threadDrowning? What does that even mean? How does one drown in a thread?
I have been making the homers' best cases as to how the Spurs can still overcome all this adversity.No, you have been whining that we have already lost like a little bitch.

Oh, I forgot -- you also proposed trading for Stromile Swift for the 2000th time.

Choice.

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Nope.

Read the hottest threads on this board to discover why you're wrong.

P.S.

drown

Main Entry:
drown
Pronunciation:
\ˈdrau̇n\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
drowned \ˈdrau̇nd\; drown·ing \ˈdrau̇-niŋ\
Etymology:
Middle English drounen
Date:
14th century
intransitive verb
: to become drowned
transitive verb
1 a: to suffocate by submersion especially in water b: to submerge especially by a rise in the water level <villages drowned by the flooding river> c: to soak, drench, or cover with a liquid
2: to engage (oneself) deeply and strenuously <drowned himself in work>
3: to cause (a sound) not to be heard by making a loud noise —usually used with out
4 a: to drive out (as a sensation or an idea) <drowned his sorrows in liquor> b: overwhelm

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I know what that means, but that doesn't apply to me -- unless you are arguing there was collusion.

Are you?

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
And cupcake - I asked you twice how Kidd kills Harris in "the hottest thread SpursTalk has ever seen."

You didn't answer.

Twice.

Bitch.

Ghost Writer
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
No collusion.

Kidd is a superior player than Harris even at the ripe age of 36.

Now please see where I made the case for the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Now please see where I made the case for the Spurs. Please link it.

Thanks.

Or don't. It's not that important. You certainly haven't stuck to that viewpoint in your last few posts.

Holt's Cat
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Hmmm...Spurs don't move their talented young point guard as part of landing Kidd and they win 3 championships. Dallas moves theirs for a version that's 5 years older.

BonnerDynasty
02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
If they get Artest, we are done imo.

ClingingMars
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
the suns chemistry will be 0%

-Mars

Indazone
02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
the suns chemistry will be 0%

-Mars

Makes more sense for them to trade with the Knicks. Artest to NY Randolph to Kings.

exstatic
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
GW just makes me laugh. Old players are bad when the Spurs have them, but when PHO and DAL start raiding Shady Acres for a 36 YO Shaq and a 34 YO JKidd, we're "shook".

:lol:rollin

Cherry
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I can't understand all this Suns - Mavs trades! :lol