PDA

View Full Version : Stackhouse Buy Out

tav1
02-13-2008, 04:35 PM
If Stack is bought out, should the Spurs make a play for him?

Holt's Cat
02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
He won't be bought out.

tav1
02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
He won't be bought out.

Could you provide an argument to couple with this assertion?

T Park
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I will.

Stackhouse adds nothing.

Who are you gonna play him ahead of? Finley? Ginobili? Udoka?

Stackhouse more than likely can't or won't be bought out.

dknights411
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
He won't be bought out.

ESPN says that the Nets are gonna buy him out.

Joe Schmoogins
02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
how sweet would it be tho... Stack gets bought out, Spurs sign him, and hey why not trade for Diop as well. Then we win the championship. Cuban would self combust

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
He might be worth keeping out of the hands of a few teams that could use a shooter, but given the sort of panic that seems to be sweeping through I think there are plenty of teams that would step up to throw way more money at him than the Spurs. Assuming he gets bought out.

m33p0
02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
If Stack is bought out, should the Spurs make a play for him?
no. if it were brandon bass or desagana diop, yes.

naico
02-13-2008, 04:44 PM
nd he kinda hates the spurs...

Bruno
02-13-2008, 04:44 PM
If the trade is Allen + Kidd for 5 Mavs players, nets will have to waive someone before doing the trade.
By looking at their roster, it could be Magloire. Signing him for the min could be a good option.

T Park
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Magloire if it was the Magloire on the Hornets sure.

They will wave their most worthless player more than likely.

I think they are still trying to package Magloire for something else.

tav1
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
If the trade is Allen + Kidd for 5 Mavs players, nets will have to waive someone before doing the trade.
By looking at their roster, it could be Magloire. Signing him for the min could be a good option.

Maybe, but they might just even up when they trade for O'Neal.

Bruno
02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I've just seen that Mavs will get Antoine Wright in a separate deal. If it's the case, I think nets won't have to waive someone.

Shank
02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Stack hates the Spurs. No way he goes there if he's bought out.

tav1
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Personally, I hope Stack goes to Cleveland if he's bought out. That way the Spurs are not saddled with him, but they don't have to worry about him either.

Spurs Brazil
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
For New Jersey, president Rod Thorn brought back the three elements he most wanted for Kidd: a good young player (Harris), expiring contracts (Diop and George) and draft picks. What’s more, the Nets plan to buyout the rest of Stackhouse’s contract. Stackhouse can become an immediate free agent, but must wait 30 days to re-sign with Dallas.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApBWftL_pTPxvCmhe3yg3iu8vLYF?slug=aw-kiddtraded021308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tempest186
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Stackhouse will go back to Dallas once he is bought out.

Bruno
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Dallas has still his MLE this year.
I guess that Stackhouse will be bought out for a small part of his contract and 30 days later, Mavs will re-sign him for the full MLE.

Stackhouse won't lose money with that move and Nets won't have Stackhouse salary cap hit.

I just wonder what will league's reaction about that kind of move.

nkdlunch
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I would prefer Diop over Stackhouse

maxpower
02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Dallas has still his MLE this year.
I guess that Stackhouse will be bought out for a small part of his contract and 30 days later, Mavs will re-sign him for the full MLE.

Stackhouse won't lose money with that move and Nets won't have Stackhouse salary cap hit.

I just wonder what will league's reaction about that kind of move.

Well that is why there is a 30 day mandated wait for the mavs.
Hopefully another team(eastern conference) will jump in.
The Cavs sure can use a shooter to help James...and I'm sure their front office wouldn't have a problem lending a helping hand to the Spurs...last year's finals notwithstanding. :smokin

Ryvin1
02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244102

Sources say Dallas will also send the Nets the league-maximum $3 million, the Mavs' first-round draft pick this June and a first-rounder in 2010.

Stackhouse said his agent told him the trade would be completed.

"Now I think it's pretty much a done deal," Stackhouse told The Associated Press.

The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days.

"I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," Stackhouse said. "I ain't going nowhere."

tav1
02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
That wasn't in the original Stein piece.

timmy21_4rings
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Stackhouse will go back to Dallas once he is bought out.

Strong Possibility....Under the table deal

Radiosparks
02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
He also stated he isn't going anywhere. The Nets will buy him out and he will end right back with Dallas.

timmy21_4rings
02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
everyone feels so desperate and they conveniently forget abt Tony Parker..Suns used Marion to guard TP and Mavs used Harris to guard TP. I thought Harris really did a good job on TP and on defenses he and Marion created lot of deflections of off TD.

SenorSpur
02-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Despite the trade, Stack is expected to remain a Mav.

According to local Dallas Sports talk radio, Stackhouse was quoted as saying, "this gives me 30 days to recuperate. But I'm not going anywhere."

Either way, the Spurs need NOT go after him. There are far better options other than him.

Fabbs
02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
By what means is he given back to Dallas?
Waived? Wouldnt he have to pass all other teams?
Traded?

Amarelooms
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
By what means is he given back to Dallas?
Waived? Wouldnt he have to pass all other teams?
Traded?

He becomes a free agent....has to wait 30 days to sign back with the Mavs or can sign with any team. Pretty sure he'll wait to rejoin the Mavs. Chance that he can be lured by a contender...ie Celtics :elephant

Bruno
02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I will be curious to know what will be Stackhouse buyout.

If Nets Buyout is high and Stackhouse sign for the min with Dallas, it won't create troubles.

However, if Nets buyout is low and Stackhouse sign for the whole MLE with Mavs, it could create troubles to Mavs.
One can think that Mavs told to Stackhouse before the trade "accept a low buyout from Nets and we will offer you a big contract in 30 days."
To me, such a move is against CBA rules and could be sanction worthy.

BonnerDynasty
02-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd want him just so he couldn't play against us.

Budkin
02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
The Mavs losing Diop and Harris is great for us, but Stack is another Spur killer so I'm not quite as elated knowing that he will be back.

exstatic
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Quick question: if they have to wait for 30 days, doesn't Stack miss the deadline to be on the post-season roster, and isn't that why they put the rule in?

ludda
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Seems like they are pretty confident he's coming back. Eh well.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I'd like to have Diop, but Stack? Hell no.

Amarelooms
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Quick question: if they have to wait for 30 days, doesn't Stack miss the deadline to be on the post-season roster, and isn't that why they put the rule in?

Hmmm good point not sure.... :elephant

Fabbs
02-13-2008, 08:06 PM
If a team trades a player and the player is waived by the receiving team, the player's original team cannot re-sign that player for 30 days (during the season) or 20 days (during the offseason) following the date of the trade. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54

So the Mavs and Nets agree that the Nets will immediately waive him.
Smells bad.
Except i think every team with a worse record then the Mavs gets a chance to claim him off waivers 1st.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Playoff roster deadline is April. 17. I think the league did away with the deadline for being on a team's roster.

Amarelooms
02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
If a team trades a player and the player is waived by the receiving team, the player's original team cannot re-sign that player for 30 days (during the season) or 20 days (during the offseason) following the date of the trade. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54

So the Mavs and Nets agree that the Nets will immediately waive him.
Smells bad.
Except i think every team with a worse record then the Mavs gets a chance to claim him off waivers 1st.

He is a free agent...teams cant force him to play for them...he chooses :elephant

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM

no kidding, its delusional to think jerry brickhouse would ever sign with the Spurs. what a fucking joke. plus, i don't like that douche anyway.

BonnerDynasty
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Damnitt.

Fuck this year. Seriously. There's no chance the entire Celtics organization will get shifted to the West this year is there?

bobbybob0
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
He is a free agent...teams cant force him to play for them...he chooses :elephant

I guess the only way to get him out of dallas if he don't want to would be for some team to pick him off the waivers during the week after the buyout become official.

But that means taking his original contract of 6.75 Mil and 3 years remaining, sounds unlikely.

m33p0
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
feeling is mutual, i assure you.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: February 13, 2008, 8:57 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
With the New Jersey Nets poised to complete a blockbuster deal to send Jason Kidd back to Dallas on Wednesday night, Mavericks reserve forward Devean George has unexpectedly exercised his right to block the trade, according to NBA front-office sources. Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the teams verbally agreed to the deal earlier Wednesday and were preparing to submit the trade for league approval when George informed the Mavericks that he wouldn't consent to being included in the deal, which is his right based on a rare provision in his one-year contract.

No Kidding Around

Jason Kidd, despite being a month away from turning 35, is still producing at a high level. Only two others, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson, have met his averages (below) over the course of a season, and they did so in their early- and mid-20s.

Kidd by the numbers Career 2007-08
Points 14.3 11.3
Assists 9.2 10.4
Rebounds 6.7 8.1
FG Pct. 40.1 *36.6
*Career worst

The deal -- salvaged from talks on a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- has Dallas sending 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSagana Diop and George and guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and forward Malik Allen.

Sources say Dallas would also send the Nets the league-maximum $3 million, the Mavs' first-round draft pick this June and a first-rounder in 2010.

Kidd was with the Nets in Toronto, but didn't talk to the media before the game. He and Allen were both inactive, along with reserve Antoine Wright.

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that the Nets and the Mavs were likewise poised to complete a separate trade that will send swingman Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick.

Before Dallas' game against Portland on Wednesday night, Mavs coach Avery Johnson wasn't ready to call the trade complete.

"What trade?" he asked reporters, then added, "all it is is speculation."

Dallas had widely been considered the favorite to win the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters before New Jersey beat Dallas on Sunday that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster.

"For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening.

Yet sources close to the process insist that the talks had heated up within the past 24 hours, with the Mavs still tantalized by the prospect of bringing Kidd back more than a decade after the pre-Cuban regime drafted him out of Cal, watched him share rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994-95 and then traded him to Phoenix on the day after Christmas in 1996.

Stackhouse's agent told him he was on the move.

"Now I think it's pretty much a done deal," Stackhouse told The Associated Press earlier Wednesday.

The Nets were expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which would have enabled him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days.

"I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," Stackhouse said. "I ain't going nowhere."

That might be more true than he knew.

m33p0
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd want him just so he couldn't play against us.
there is that. hmm....

bobbybob0
02-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs

Where scrubs killing blockbuster deals happens.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

hsxvvd
02-14-2008, 02:06 AM
"this gives me 30 days to recuperate. But I'm not going anywhere."

Stern needs to take a good look at this. How is this any worse than the Minnesota Joe Smith under the table deal? Strip Dallas of a few 1st rounders!!!

e20dylan
02-14-2008, 02:53 AM
everyone feels so desperate and they conveniently forget abt Tony Parker..Suns used Marion to guard TP and Mavs used Harris to guard TP. I thought Harris really did a good job on TP and on defenses he and Marion created lot of deflections of off TD.

never thought about that. boy i cant wait for tp to get back!

ehz33satx
02-14-2008, 03:00 AM
but Stack is another Spur killer

No he isn't. He might have had a good game or two against us in the past few seasons, but saying he is a Spurs killer is giving Stackhouse entirely too much credit. He is a marginal player.

dav4463
02-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Where scrubs killing blockbuster deals happens.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Now that is a great post ! :lol

I think it would be funny is Stackhouse did go somewhere else and bust the maverick bubble!

genomefreak13
02-14-2008, 04:35 AM
I think the rest of the league is conspiring to destroy the spurs...why couldn't we trade vaughn for marbury - elson for eddy curry. The rest of the west seems to get everything they want for less. What can we do??