PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Cavs Feb. 13

timvp
02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Manu Ginobili. That’s about the only way to sum up this game. Ginobili caught on fire and put on the best shooting performance of his career and the Spurs blasted by the Cavaliers in the fourth quarter to win 112-105.

The whole game was a back and forth affair. The Cavs would build a lead and then the Spurs would come back and make it a close game. The Cavs would again build a lead and the Spurs would again respond. The teams kept up this pattern until the Spurs exploded for good in the fourth. With the Spurs trailing 80-72 with just over ten minutes to go in the game, San Antonio would score on every single possession for the rest of the game on their way to a 41-point fourth quarter.

Regarding the Cavs, they actually played really well. They had the Spurs on the ropes a number of times. LeBron James had a great game (39 points, nine assists and six rebounds) and Larry Hughes was uncharacteristically on target (11-for-19 from the field). Cleveland just lost because the Spurs got scorching hot. They couldn’t play much better. The Cavs shot over 51% for the game and most of those shots were contested well by the Spurs. Cleveland basically just got out-Ginobili'ed.

With a 6-3 Rodeo Road Trip, it’s now safe to call the trip a major success. Considering that Brent Barry missed the entire trip and Tony Parker missed almost the entire trip, going 6-3 was fantastic. Hopefully this will provide the momentum needed to make a push at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

-Lost in all of Ginobili’s heroics was the fact that Tim Duncan actually played pretty darn well. The Cavs played really good defense on him but Duncan fought the whole game. He missed some shots he usually makes but overall he was very solid. For the game Duncan finished with 23 points, 13 rebounds, two assists and two blocks. He also led the Spurs in +/- at +21. When he was on the court, he drew a huge amount of focus from the Cavs and opened up lanes for his teammates. Duncan, like usual, was quietly effective.

-Manu Ginobili just went wild. I'm not even sure how to put it into words. He was hitting shots from everywhere. If you watched this game, you got to witness what will go down as one of Ginobili’s most memorable games of his career. He finished with 46 points, eight assists, five rebounds, three steals and a blocked shot, while connecting on 15-of-20 shots from the field and 8-of-11 shots from the three-point line. Amazingly, he did all that while committing only one turnover. It was simply a stunning shooting display by Ginobili. In the fourth quarter alone, Ginobili had 17 points on 5-for-5 shooting and four assists. Wow.

-Bruce Bowen was also a big part of the fourth quarter scoring barrage. With the Spurs down by four with six and half minutes to go, Bowen scored eight of the next 11 points to help tie the game. On the night, Bowen was a perfect 4-for-4 from the field to finish with ten points and three assists in 37 minutes. Defensively, he was doing a good job staying in front of LeBron for the most part but LeBron hit a number of tough shots. Bowen didn’t play NBA Finals level defense but he defended him well. Sometimes great offensive players can overcome even the best defense.

-It wasn’t a very good end to the Rodeo Road Trip for Fabricio Oberto, which is unfortunate because he had played well as of late. In 22 minutes, Oberto totaled four points and five rebounds on 1-for-3 shooting from the field. For whatever reason, Oberto didn’t have the same energy as he’s had in recent games. He seemed a step slow on both ends of the court, especially in the help defense department. Oberto finished the game with a team-worst plus/minus of -25.

-As a Spurs fan, you are likely counting down the day until Parker is healthy enough to return. With the way Jacque Vaughn played tonight, it might be a good idea to get down on your knees and pray for Parker’s speedy recovery. Grab your rosary beads, light a menorah ... do whatever you gotta do to help Parker get healthy faster. Vaughn was absolutely horrible against the Cavs. It had to be his worst game of the season. He was ball-hogging and was shooting mostly contested attempts – and for no reason. He just had it in his mind tonight that he wanted to score and he failed miserably at doing so. In 18 minutes, Vaughn was 1-for-8 from the court to finish with two points and two assists. The best move Pop did all night was take Vaughn out of the game for good a couple minutes into the third quarter.

-Michael Finley played well. His shooting stats don’t look Manu-like but he gave a really good effort and was big down the stretch. He finished with eight points and five assists on 2-for-8 shooting from the floor. Four of his assists led to three-pointers (three to Ginobili, one to Bowen). Finley’s defense was pretty good and he was a solid presence on the court for the Spurs.

-Ime Udoka played 24 minutes, including almost the entire fourth quarter. Defensively, he played well whether he was matched up With LeBron or Hughes. LeBron hit some difficult shots on him but his defense was good. Offensively, Udoka was extremely efficient. He was 4-for-4 from the field, 1-for-1 from three and 3-for-3 from the free throw line on his way to 12 points and three rebounds. Udoka allowed the Spurs to matchup better defensively, which was a big part of the fourth quarter run.

-Damon Stoudamire once again struggled. Against Cleveland, Stoudamire missed all four of his shots and went scoreless. He did get three rebounds and three assists in 19 minutes of playing time, although that didn’t make up for his shooting woes. Stoudamire started 7-for-14 as a Spur but has gone 5-for-24 since. What once looked like a very good signing is now looking questionable.

-Robert Horry once again looked a lot better than he had earlier in the season. His seven points and three rebounds in 16 minutes came at important times of the game. Although Horry is still working his way back into shape, it’s starting to look as if the Spurs should be able to count on him for minutes in the playoffs. His off the charts basketball IQ is still evident every time he plays and that alone is reason enough for Pop to play him in hopes of production down the line.

-Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson didn't play. I'd be interested to see how those two guys have decorated Pop's doghouse.

-Pop coached a very good game. Benching Vaughn for practically the entire second half was a great move. It wasn’t a coincidence that the Spurs responded with 66 points in the second half.

I also liked the bigger small ball lineup he went to at the end with Ginobili at point guard, Finley at shooting guard, Bowen at small forward, Udoka at power forward and Duncan at center. Against a Cavs team with no real point guard, that lineup made a lot of sense.

I know I’ve brought this up a lot but I still don’t like the extended minutes for Duncan and Ginobili. Playing Ginobili 41 minutes and playing Duncan 39 minutes is just playing with fire. Perhaps Pop is thinking that with Parker coming back, the minutes will drop soon enough and that Duncan and Ginobili can rest over the All-Star break. Whatever the case may be, overplaying the stars has never been a part of the Spurs’ recipe for championships.

The bottomline is the Spurs went out on the Rodeo Road Trip and once again made it a successful adventure. The team faced a number of obstacles along the way but return home from the trip playing better than when they went into the trip. As long as Parker can regain his health and the rest of the team can remain healthy, there’s no reason why the Spurs won’t be able to make a push after the All-Star break.

And really, if Ginobili shoots like he did tonight once the playoffs roll around, the Mavs, Suns and Lakers could merge and I’d still like the Spurs’ chances.

Believe.

m33p0
02-14-2008, 01:14 AM
manu + duncan = disaster for the opposition

SequSpur
02-14-2008, 01:14 AM
I missed the game..... :(

Rummpd
02-14-2008, 01:18 AM
I watched this game in a Dave and Busters in Rockville, MD, and even non Spurs fans were amazed at the show Manu (and Duncan also quietly did again) was putting on with James trying to match. Don't forget props to Bruce! Great theater!

Solid D
02-14-2008, 01:19 AM
reiteration...Manu plays 40 minutes going into the 6-day break.

m33p0
02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
I missed the game..... :(
so did i.

Whisky Dog
02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
That was a great game to watch because of both teams. Lebron brought his A game, Larry Hughes brought his A game, and Manu brought his A++ game. Timmy played a pretty smart game and only forced the action a couple times that led to misses or a rare turnover. To beat a pretty good Cavs team on the road when their superstar is on his game and Larry f'n Hughes is on fire is a good accomplishment.

6-3 on the RRT sounds good, but 6-1 (after the first two losses) is really something to build on. Any time you play 7 straight road games and win 6, especially when you were playing .500 ball on the road up to that point, is a great stretch of games.

Supreme_Being
02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks, timvp! I was waiting for this.

timvp
02-14-2008, 01:24 AM
That was a great game to watch because of both teams.Yep. It was an especially clean game. Part of the reason, besides the torrid shooting, was the low amount of turnovers (5 for Spurs, 9 for Cavs).

KidCongo
02-14-2008, 01:25 AM
With the Spurs trailing 80-72 with just over ten minutes to go in the game, San Antonio would score on every single possession for the rest of the game on their way to a 41-point fourth quarter.

Larry Hughes was uncharacteristically on target (11-for-19 from the field). Believe.

41 point 4th Q is shitting on our D. Manu must have been on fire. Who was trying to defend him?

Larry was coming off a 40 point performance the other night and has numbers of an all-star tonight. I hope he has turned the corner for the Cavs and will finally play close to his contract value.

Good win spurs.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-14-2008, 01:27 AM
41 point 4th Q is shitting on our D. Manu must have been on fire. Who was trying to defend him?

Mostly Hughes and (Lebron at one point) contested his threes to no avail

It was a fun game to watch, By the end of the game Manu was being accounted for with double teams, and that guy Udoka, and Bowen open, and they all hit their timely shots.

Not to mention Duncan got single coverage thanks to Ginobil's hot hand.

Nikos
02-14-2008, 01:27 AM
One positive from this game is not only Manu's explosion, but also that rascal will not be posting here until Manu's next subpar game. Thank god.

BTW that was the best Manu game. The win wasn't nearly as meaningful as 2005 against the Suns (even if the Spurs do win it this year) -- but it was his best game as an NBA player. The type of shots he made over and over were ones he usually doesn't make so often in one game. Step back threes with hands in his face -- shots off the dribble. Incredible game.

Hope Manu has one of these types of games saved for the playoffs....

mVp
02-14-2008, 01:28 AM
-Manu Ginobili just went wild. I'm not even sure how to put it into words.

Really, there are no words to describe what he did... what an awesome game!

Thanks for the recap :)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-14-2008, 01:30 AM
The bottomline is the Spurs went out on the Rodeo Road Trip and once again made it a successful adventure. The team faced a number of obstacles along the way but return home from the trip playing better than when they went into the trip. As long as Parker can regain his health and the rest of the team can remain healthy, there’s no reason why the Spurs won’t be able to make a push after the All-Star break.

And really, if Ginobili shoots like he did tonight once the playoffs roll around, the Mavs, Suns and Lakers could merge and I’d still like the Spurs’ chances.

Believe. :smokin

Hope our boys get some nice rest, and Parker is ready to return to the action.

timvp
02-14-2008, 01:32 AM
that was the best Manu game.I'll have to disagree. It was no doubt his best shooting performance of his career but he's played better overall games. He's had games where he's beaten much better teams almost single-handedly by dominating more facets of the game.

But yeah, I don't know if it'd be possible for Ginobili to ever top this shooting display. I'm not sure many players in NBA history have games on their resume where they hit more difficult shots in one game.

Nikos
02-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Well it could be the moment, but it was his best game in terms of making difficult shots that he doesn't typically make. He doesn't make step back jumpers too often with a hand in his face. Sure he makes that step back shot reasonably often, but not like tonight.

BTW which games are you referring too out of curiosity?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Comparing this 46 point outing with Manu's 48 against the Suns in 05, the interesting thing is that this was built almost entirely on his jumper, while traditionally his big nights (like the 48) come from going to the hoop time and again. He did the same in Toronto the other night - hit jumper after difficult jumper, and hardly drove at all.

While he had the splint on, Manu's shooting was either way on or way off - he'd hit 6 jumpers one night, then the next he'd have to go to the rack repeatedly in the second half after missing 6 straight Js in the first and looking horrible. Watching Manu destroy these teams (Cleveland, Toronto) with the jumpshot (3s, step backs, and the odd pull-up) has been a true wonder. Manu can beat you in every way possible on a basketball court - like Tim, Manu is a basketball god.

I don't know what else to say except that i need to add some Manu jerseys to my collection of 50s and 21s!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I'll have to disagree. It was no doubt his best shooting performance of his career but he's played better overall games. He's had games where he's beaten much better teams almost single-handedly by dominating more facets of the game.

But yeah, I don't know if it'd be possible for Ginobili to ever top this shooting display. I'm not sure many players in NBA history have games on their resume where they hit more difficult shots in one game.

Yeah, I'd say games 1, 2 and 7 of the Finals in 2005 were probably his best games as a balla - the ultimate pressure situation, a great defensive team keyed on stopping him, and he came through with genius.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Yeah it was pretty Jordan/Larry Birdesque jumpshooting performance, you can put 15-20 FG's. 8 -11 3 G's Making all his shots in the 4th quarter against a lot of the scoring binge games of other great SG's, and it remains pretty impressive.

Dave McNulla
02-14-2008, 01:40 AM

Larry was coming off a 40 point performance the other night and has numbers of an all-star tonight. I hope he has turned the corner for the Cavs and will finally play close to his contract value.

Good win spurs.they tried to double team him. that's where he got the assists. cavs announcers said he was sick. dwight gooden was shaking his head in disbelief.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-14-2008, 01:50 AM
This game was simply Manuesque! Like Pop says he never seizes to amaze me!
Funny thing is, his shooting performance was within the flow of the game.

It wasn't like his Atlanta Hawks, where they ran all the plays for him. Only until the final minutes when the Cavs looked to be coming away with the game. (I noticed Finley or one of the others looking to get the ball to Manu to watch him do his magic.)
Other than that, I didn't see them relying on Manu much to carry the offense with Vaughn and all others in the first half hogging the ball , he just happened to hit every single jump shot of his to keep the Spurs close, and eventually give them the win.

SA Gunslinger
02-14-2008, 02:09 AM
they tried to double team him. that's where he got the assists. cavs announcers said he was sick. dwight gooden was shaking his head in disbelief.

:lol

Doc Gooden

dougp
02-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Manu better fuckin be in the Daily Dime tomorrow or I'm gonna fuckin be pissed ...

Spuradicator
02-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Fuck me I missed the game!

whottt
02-14-2008, 02:24 AM
I missed this game too :pctoss

CavsRules
02-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Cavs Fan here -- Wanna say good game, and Manu was lights out. Anyway, Congrats on the win and good luck the rest of the season. My favorite Western Team is the Spurs, so I'm rooting for them to win the title again(Unless Cleveland finds a way to get back).

greens
02-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I'd say games 1, 2 and 7 of the Finals in 2005 were probably his best games as a balla - the ultimate pressure situation, a great defensive team keyed on stopping him, and he came through with genius.

I also think...last years playoff Game 6 vs Suns was another amazing Manu performance...he really dominated that game...And that was also a pressure game because of all the controversy over the suspensions...

However, this game definitely rates high up there...the shooting percentage is just crazy! And Manu also got the assists, steals, rebounds...And the type of shots he was making...just awesome to watch. His three pointers were coming from all over the place. Coach Brown put double teams on Manu, and he was still able to either pass the ball and get the assist or somehow get it back...

Thus far, I'd say my favorite Manu games for this year have been against the Cavs, Dallas, Utah...that's 46pts, 37pts, 37pts...Especially the Dallas game was really intense filled with Jason Terry cheap shots...

SenorSpur
02-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Great summary as always.

A couple of things stand out for me.

Vaughn's performance still makes me wonder why Pop insists on starting him.

As for Stoudamire, while he has struggled since moving to the bench, I think it's way too early to deem his signing "questionable." Perhaps Pop should insert him back into the the starting lineup until Parker returns. Vaughn is not effective against the opposition's starters.

ForeignFan
02-14-2008, 05:10 AM
What happened yesterday was an unbelievable, amazing, extraordinary, never seen before, godlike performance !

I mean, Spurs shot 87% FT ...

J.T.
02-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Got damn Ginobili couldn't have just hit one more three pointer to set a new career high? Worthless.

WalterBenitez
02-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Nice recap, even pointing out what others players did to help to win, Manu ... just amazing.

hsxvvd
02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Anybody know where I can see the fouth quarter? Is it possible to put it on youtube or something.

41 points and Manu's awesome night, I need to see it.

Bruno
02-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the recap.

The fourth quarter was amazing. Manu's performance was unreal, I don't see how it's possible to have that kind of game and to respect physics' laws at the same time.

Spurs RRT has been a success this year with an awesome Manu. 6-3 without Parker and Barry is quite impressive.

roycrikside
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I still think Manu's best overall game this year was the Dallas game because it meant so much more. We hadn't beat the Mavs in forever and Tim was out and they beat the hell out of him with cheap fouls all game and he still pulled it through for us, when really not too many other guys played well that day.

As for the best game of his career, it has to be Game 6 vs the Suns last year, right?

roycrikside
02-14-2008, 06:54 AM
The funny thing is even Sequ gives Manu credit when he plays well..but for some reason Rascal and Ducks will try to bring Manu down any chance they get. It's like Manu must have slept with their Mom's and they are just angry that Manu isn't their real fathers! :toast

LaMarcus Bryant is the worst of them all. He just flat out hates Manu. I think he's racist or something.

travis2
02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Two plays stand out in my mind from last night. First play was in the 2nd (? or maybe 3rd?) quarter...Manu dribbling above the key, guarded by (I think) Hughes, with Ilgauskas providing support. Manu takes a hard step left then crosses over hard right...sending Hughes to the floor and throwing a body block into Ilgauskas...and Manu waltzes down the lane for a layup.

Second one was during his "Flame ON" imitation in the 4th quarter. Manu had already made a 3...followed by LeBron hitting a 3 immediately afterward...Manu has the ball above the 3-pt line...gets a HARD double team, hands right in his face...and from my vantage point it looked like he threw up a PRAYER of a 3-pt shot...nothing but net.

SouthernFried
02-14-2008, 07:43 AM
I don't think Manu has ever dominated a game like this before.

Remember...he scored those points, while also running Point Guard for the team. 1 turnover for the whole game running point. Had no problem at all breaking any pressure bringing the ball up the court. Made it look so easy that it's almost forgotten. He controlled the Spurs offense 100%, was the floor general, the main scorer, assist man...and got some monster rebounds and a monster block on LJ towards the end of the game.

This was more a Magic Johnson type of game than a Michael Jordonesque one.

Showtime

AFBlue
02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
My comments...

- Not sure I can say much more about Manu than has already been said....that was amazing. Two shots stood out the most....a stepback fadeaway 20ft baseline jumper and a straight-away deep 3pt jumper (26ft+) that both took place as the clock was about to expire.

- Ime continues to impress. His shot has been somewhat streaky, but if he can continue to play his hardnosed defense, he'll be an asset to this team.

- Agree with SenorSpur on Stoudamire, I think it's too early to make a determination on his signing. He's in a slump and forcing the action a bit, but I think he'll ultimately be a plus for this squad.

- Lastly, Lebron James is unbelievable. Of course, last night clearly belonged to Manu. But James is damn near unstoppable when going to the hole and has greatly improved his jumpshot. I'm gonna love him as a Spur....2010 Master Plan baby!
-

romsho
02-14-2008, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE]I know I've brought this up a lot but I still don't like the extended minutes for Duncan and Ginobili. Playing Ginobili 41 minutes and playing Duncan 39 minutes is just playing with fire. Perhaps Pop is thinking that with Parker coming back, the minutes will drop soon enough and that Duncan and Ginobili can rest over the All-Star break. Whatever the case may be, overplaying the stars has never been a part of the Spurs recipe for championships.[/QUOTE=TimVP]

Believe

You mentioned early in this road trip that you thought Pop was coaching desperate, playing Tim and Manu so many minutes. You were right, and the desperation is not just from missing or non-productive personnel, but a function of what is happening in the West. Although Pop never worries about playoff seedings, this year has become about just getting in the top eight. None of the nine best teams in the West have room to blink right now. It's really unbelievable. The All-Star break is good, but what would be nice is a few more blowout wins to save some minutes.

Manu-of-steel
02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Wow, manu!!!!! That performance was really beyond words to describe. Also, TD quietly put on a solid performance. I'm really happy with how this road trip has ended. Regarding manu's 41 minutes and duncan's 39 min, i think pop knows that manu can rest during the all-star. And this is another very important game for them. I'll sleep tonight with a smile on my lips.

1Parker1
02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm more worried about Duncan and Ginobili not having enough left in the tank during the postseason. Even though there's no back to backs...this playoffs especially the road is very tough in the Western Conference. It's going to be mentally and physically draining starting with the first round I think, no matter if they play the 8th seed or the 3rd seed. Playing them this many minutes right now may hurt them in the long haul.

I know Pop doesn't have much of a choice, especially with Parker/Barry out. If he doesn't play Duncan/Manu this many minutes, they could easy have been under .500 this RRT....and dropped to 7th seed.

urunobili
02-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Manu Ginobili scored 46 points as the Spurs completed their nine-game road trip by defeating Cleveland. Ginobili posted per-game averages of 24.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 6.2 assists over that span to become the first player in NBA history to average at least 24 points, six rebounds and six assists during a road trip of at least nine games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280213005

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20080213

polandprzem
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I just want to add something about the played minutes of TD and MG - probably Pop is testing them if they can go with intense on tough roadtrip and see how can it be translated into the playoffs where the game is much more intense then that.
We are all assuming the minutes will drop when TP come back... The question is if Pop will give him big minutes from the get go.

I might accually downlad this game :)

SAGambler
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
You know, I almost quit hateing on the way Vaughn played. I really thought maybe he was going to contribute after all.....and then he went out last night and proved once and for all why he doesn't belong.

As for Manu...What can you say?...Just WOW....one hell of a game. Gotta be up there in his top 2 or 3 ever. Sure LBJ was close in scoring. But he also took 11 more shots to get there. 15 for 20 and 8 for 11 3ptrs is just unbelieveable. A big :tu :tu to Manu.

I really thought Duncan should have gone for 30 last night too. After getting Iggy in foul trouble, I don't understand why Tim wasn't just going to the hole. He may have had the best +/- on the team, but he really just had a so-so game. Threw up a few unadvised shots, and missed some point blank ones.

Ime looked good last night. I hope we can see games like this from him on a nightly basis.

And even though Damon isn't putting up points, he also isn't putting up a bunch of shots. And I think he is a much improved floor general over Vaughn.

Anyway, hope this end to the RT is the turning point for the Spurs we have all been waiting (and hoping) for.

Hurry back Tony and let's kick ass with our "old guys" the rest of the way to the playoffs.

MoSpur
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
I missed the game. I was at church. Praise the Lord though!

Extra Stout
02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm more worried about Duncan and Ginobili not having enough left in the tank during the postseason. Even though there's no back to backs...this playoffs especially the road is very tough in the Western Conference. It's going to be mentally and physically draining starting with the first round I think, no matter if they play the 8th seed or the 3rd seed. Playing them this many minutes right now may hurt them in the long haul.

I know Pop doesn't have much of a choice, especially with Parker/Barry out. If he doesn't play Duncan/Manu this many minutes, they could easy have been under .500 this RRT....and dropped to 7th seed.
Right now, 51 wins is the threshold to make the playoffs in the West. We could see the first 50-win lottery team in NBA history this year. Pop does not have the luxury of resting Duncan and Manu if it means the Spurs lose games.

The Truth #6
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I really liked the small lineup Pop put out there to win the game. Ime plays strong for his size which allows us to also play Bruce at the same time. Obviously this game was all about Manu but I noticed Pop putting more trust into Ime.

A few times Lebron burned Ime right in front of Pop but Ime was basically playing good D and Pop seemed to be encouraging him to stay at it (as opposed to yelling at him and pulling him from the game immediately.)

If Pop isn't going to play Elson or Bonner at all I'd like to see him give Ime more minutes for these small ball lineups.

Also, on offense, Ime was playing within the offense and taking shots that were presented. I can't expect too much more from him. He seems to be playing his role and what was hoped of him.

duncan228
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
-Lost in all of Ginobili’s heroics was the fact that Tim Duncan actually played pretty darn well. The Cavs played really good defense on him but Duncan fought the whole game. He missed some shots he usually makes but overall he was very solid. For the game Duncan finished with 23 points, 13 rebounds, two assists and two blocks. He also led the Spurs in +/- at +21. When he was on the court, he drew a huge amount of focus from the Cavs and opened up lanes for his teammates. Duncan, like usual, was quietly effective.

:tu

That's Duncan.
Quiet, effective, deadly.
And quite happy to let his teammates get the glory.
All he cares about is the win.

From a Duncan fan, hats off to Manu. He was out of his mind and we don't take this win without him.

That's one of the biggest things we have going for us. Chemistry. Team players. Not one of them cares about their own stat line. It's a joy to watch. And it will take us where we need to go.

SAGambler
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Right now, 51 wins is the threshold to make the playoffs in the West. We could see the first 50-win lottery team in NBA history this year. Pop does not have the luxury of resting Duncan and Manu if it means the Spurs lose games.

That's exactly what I and a few others have been saying. And accused of being bandwagoners for it.

This year the old "well, it's just a December/January game....look at our 4 rings" mantra doesn't cut it. You are absolutely correct. A 50 win season may not even get you in the playoffs.

Some of us have been trying to point out that EVERY game is crucial.
If you have to play Manu and Tim extended minutes, then that's what you have to do.

A rested Tim and Manu means little if you aren't invited to play.

carina_gino20
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
With the way Jacque Vaughn played tonight, it might be a good idea to get down on your knees and pray for Parker’s speedy recovery. Grab your rosary beads, light a menorah ... do whatever you gotta do to help Parker get healthy faster.

Count me in. Seeing Vaughn throw up impossible shots is just :pctoss And hopefully, with TP back, Tim's and Manu's playing time will go down.

Got damn Ginobili couldn't have just hit one more three pointer to set a new career high? Worthless.

He did. His previous career-high was earlier in the season when he hit seven in Minny.

himat
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Count me in. Seeing Vaughn throw up impossible shots is just :pctoss And hopefully, with TP back, Tim's and Manu's playing time will go down.

He did. His previous career-high was earlier in the season when he hit seven in Minny.

He was talking about career high in points. I think Manu set that against Phoenix with a 48 point game, but I am only going off of memory.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I'll have to disagree. It was no doubt his best shooting performance of his career but he's played better overall games. He's had games where he's beaten much better teams almost single-handedly by dominating more facets of the game.

That January '05 road game I saw in Phoenix when Manu took the Spurs on his back and they came back from a huge deficit to win was probably one of the best games I've seen him play.

That was when I realized how amazing of a player he is and how driven he is to win. I knew he was a great player before this game, but occassionally you see a player that is just a step above the other players and can will things in his direction. That's what a healthy Manu can be on most any night.

What also made that game great was watching the Phoenix fans leave the arena in disgust! :lol

TampaDude
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Manu is the fucking MAN...'nuff said! :toast

carina_gino20
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
He was talking about career high in points. I think Manu set that against Phoenix with a 48 point game, but I am only going off of memory.

:lol Manu didn't want it to be too obvious that Manu > Cavs. :lol

Spurs Brazil
02-14-2008, 01:42 PM

The game 5 of 2005 playoffs against the Sonics was one of the greateast game I saw Manu play

He was fantastic, especially in the 3rd quarter

remingtonbo2001
02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I think towards the end, some of the team wanted to see Manu put up 50.

smeagol
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
That January '05 road game I saw in Phoenix when Manu took the Spurs on his back and they came back from a huge deficit to win was probably one of the best games I've seen him play.

That was when I realized how amazing of a player he is and how driven he is to win. I knew he was a great player before this game, but occassionally you see a player that is just a step above the other players and can will things in his direction. That's what a healthy Manu can be on most any night.

What also made that game great was watching the Phoenix fans leave the arena in disgust! :lol

You mean at a bar in Phoenix or at the arena?

If it's the latter . . . you are one lucky bastard . . .

MaNuMaNiAc
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Manu Ginobili scored 46 points as the Spurs completed their nine-game road trip by defeating Cleveland. Ginobili posted per-game averages of 24.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 6.2 assists over that span to become the first player in NBA history to average at least 24 points, six rebounds and six assists during a road trip of at least nine games.

Interesting little tidbit... by the way, I can't fucking believe I missed this game

SpurOutofTownFan
02-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Nobody mentions this but I think one of the most impressive manu games was against denver in 2005 when the spurs had lost game 1 in san antonio, then took teh second and went to denver for game 3 and the entire team was playing horrible and manu singlehandely destroyed the entire denver team. that was the begining or coach karl saying manu was a flopper. I think that was a huge manu game.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 10:27 PM

His first Finals was pretty special too. Remember that swipe of Richard Jefferson? He showed up ready to play NBA championship level basketball. He does so much that you just take it for granted. As much love as he gets from Spurs fans, I don't think Spurs fans truly realize how much he has to do with the championships the Spurs have won over the last 5 years. That 4th quarter in Cleveland last year saw him working his magic again. I can think of a couple other big game players like him in NBA history.