PDA

View Full Version : Class of the League, update on Sato

Rummpd
01-06-2005, 08:13 AM
"Payday: Popovich surprised Mike Wilks and Romain Sato after Wednesday's practice when he told them in front of the team that their contracts had been guaranteed for the rest of the season.

To avoid having the contracts guaranteed, the Spurs would have had to cut Wilks and Sato by Wednesday so they could clear waivers by Friday."

By the way how does Sato look - I had forgot about him almost.

Lakers fans rave about Sasha but isn't Sato a clone of him = athletic, long arms, great potential etc?

Wasn't also Sato a great college scorer as well? How does he figure in Spurs plans - it would seem Devin would have to move on or something?

MadDoc

Solid D
01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm not an insider but I do know Sato practices with the team and sits behind the team bench along-side Sean Marks, Linton Johnson and Intern Monty Williams at each game.

Sato isn't a clone of Sasha. Sato is very strong for his size and has major hops. When he played in the pre-season, Sato was actually playing SF quite a bit, but he's definitely a wing and not a lead guard. His shot wasn't there in the games I saw him play but his rebounding and athletic play and effort was impressive. He also needed to work on his defensive techniques back then. He was beaten off the dribble a couple of times.

travis2
01-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm not an insider but I do know Sato practices with the team and sits behind the team bench along-side Sean Marks, Linton Johnson and Intern Monty Williams at each game.

Monty Williams is an intern? I did not know that...

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Good for them.

In their infinite wisdom - a farkup in the city of Houston has led to San Antoino's gain.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Monty Williams is an intern? I did not know that...

Yeah. KENS even did a piece on him before Tuesday's game.

travis2
01-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah. KENS even did a piece on him before Tuesday's game.

Ah...didn't turn on the pre-game until 7:15 or so...guess I missed it...

Solid D
01-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I didn't see the pre-game either.

Actually, the Spurs have several interns they keep on staff. Monty is the only ex-NBAer. I think the media guide should list him/them.

Solid D
01-06-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/mediaguide_0304.html

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Page 12 of the Media Guide.

Monty Williams - Spurs Intern

boutons
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
How much of a surprise was this?

Weren't these two "surprisees" aware, with normal curiosity and anxiety about their jobs as would be any employee, of Wednesday as "contract or cut" date?

Kori Ellis
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Monty Williams isn't "exactly" an intern, though they may call him that. He's the assistant to Assistant Coach and Director of Player Personnel Brett Brown.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Monty Williams isn't "exactly" an intern, though they may call him that. He's the assistant to Assistant Coach and Director of Player Personnel Brett Brown.

Yeah, I could have sworn you posted an article about him a while back.

Solid D
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Actually, Brett is Dir. of Player Development, which is probably what you meant. Sam Presti is Dir. of Player Personnel.

Does that make Monty the Vice President of Interns? :smokin

exstatic
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Does that make Monty the Vice President of Interns?
That would mean no red cap or Speedo, and he has to share the Glock.[/LifeAquatic]

Kori Ellis
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Actually, Brett is Dir. of Player Development, which is probably what you meant. Sam Presti is Dir. of Player Personnel.

Yeah, sorry. I typo'd the Development/personnel.