PDA

View Full Version : Is all change good?

2Cleva
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I see a lot of Spurs fans calling for a trade to combat the moves other teams in the West have done but is change always good?

The Lakers getting Gasol obviously was a seamless fit and steal but with the other two major moves - an obvious radical change of strategy is needed for them to work.

A high-octane team in Phoenix will slow down with Shaq. Even against GS last night, w/o Marion they only got 14 fast break points. With the lack of D in GS, they normally would have had 30.

In Dallas, a grind it out team under Avery now has a PG who wants to push tempo.

SA may have questions about age, firepower, and athleticism but their continuity will be beneficial and is even more of an advantage because the main contenders in the West have went through radical changes this season and its rare for a team to win a ring after making such changes.

I do expect LA to get a boost from Gasol like when Detroit got Sheed but that's not to say SA is in over their head because of what has happened.

Good luck to your squad. Western Conference playoffs will be must see TV all postseason.

samikeyp
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Good points.

I think if they can do a trade that makes them better, then you do it but you cannot do a panic move which IMO Phoenix did. You can't make a move that cripples your future either.

ancestron
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I am also of the opinion that people are over-reacting to the impact the trades will have on the pecking order in the western conference.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
If it isn't broke...

I will not be surprised to see the Spurs make a trade not involving their Big 3, but that will be motivated primarily by the fact that they have some tradeable commoditities that will expire at the trade deadline, that is, expiring contracts (Barry, Finley, Elson, & Horry). The most uncertainty right now is in the swingman rotation, with Finley and Barry free agents this summer and, yes, near the end of their careers. I think Horry is the one player the Spurs will be the least willing to move. In addition the free agent pool to find replacements is somewhat sparse this summer for the Spurs with their MLE. If we're thinking needs, I will say the Spurs could use a rebounding big up front.

My guess is the Spurs will see what they can land with some combination of those expiring contracts plus perhaps a pick(s). With teams looking to offload solid players whose contracts have multiple years remaining past this one, they might be able to find an advantageous trade. Otherwise, letting the contracts expire isn't necessarily bad; it will allow them to get some space underneath the luxury tax threshold, but they will need to find at least one quality perimeter player before next season.

T Park
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
If they don't trade for a swingman this trade deadline, their best options this offseason is gonna be praying that Cory Maggette would take the mle, or signing a James Jones.

Maggette will get great offers, and I don't know if James Jones is better than Finley or Barry, so the Spurs might be put in position to make a trade so they can have a semi quiet offseason.

SenorSpur
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I see a lot of Spurs fans calling for a trade to combat the moves other teams in the West have done but is change always good?

The Lakers getting Gasol obviously was a seamless fit and steal but with the other two major moves - an obvious radical change of strategy is needed for them to work.

A high-octane team in Phoenix will slow down with Shaq. Even against GS last night, w/o Marion they only got 14 fast break points. With the lack of D in GS, they normally would have had 30.

In Dallas, a grind it out team under Avery now has a PG who wants to push tempo.

SA may have questions about age, firepower, and athleticism but their continuity will be beneficial and is even more of an advantage because the main contenders in the West have went through radical changes this season and its rare for a team to win a ring after making such changes.

I do expect LA to get a boost from Gasol like when Detroit got Sheed but that's not to say SA is in over their head because of what has happened.

Good luck to your squad. Western Conference playoffs will be must see TV all postseason.

All very valid points. Could be a first from a Fakers fan. :lol

Seriously though, there IS a lot to be said for continuity and chemistry. In practially every the Spurs have won the championship, there have been more talented and much deeper teams.

It may sound corny, but the team chemistry and their level of trust in one another, both on and off the court, is unmatched by any other team and is just as vital to their success as talent.

Appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully we'll see you guys in the WCF.

Either way, the Western Conference playoffs should be the most hotly contested since, well last season.

SenorSpur
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
If they don't trade for a swingman this trade deadline, their best options this offseason is gonna be praying that Cory Maggette would take the mle, or signing a James Jones.

Maggette will get great offers, and I don't know if James Jones is better than Finley or Barry, so the Spurs might be put in position to make a trade so they can have a semi quiet offseason.

I really, really like Maggette. With the number of shooters they have, Maggette would be a perfect compliment in that he would provide another slasher and midrange shooter - which they don't have enough of.

James would be a very nice 2nd target.

Either way, I don't see them adding a swingman until the offseason - if then. Unless Pop can find one now who is 35 years old. Then he might be interested.

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't see any trades the Spurs make mid-season. Not for rotation-type pieces, since it takes too long to fit guys in. There's a longshot to get a guy now at the swing position for the long-run, but I doubt it.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't see any trades the Spurs make mid-season. Not for rotation-type pieces, since it takes too long to fit guys in. There's a longshot to get a guy now at the swing position for the long-run, but I doubt it.

They did deal for Mohammed and he made the rotation.

T Park
02-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I really, really like Maggette. With the number of shooters they have, Maggette would be a perfect compliment in that he would provide another slasher and midrange shooter - which they don't have enough of.

James would be a very nice 2nd target.

Either way, I don't see them adding a swingman until the offseason - if then. Unless Pop can find one now who is 35 years old. Then he might be interested.

Yeah because he hates young players.

Ignore that 2003 run by the way.

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
They did deal for Mohammed and he made the rotation.

Sort of by accident. Rasho was hurt.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, Elson has no excuse.

I will be honest, I like Barry, but the Spurs are pretty solid throughout the swingman rotation. It's the bigman rotation outside of TD that needs some work. If the Spurs managed to land a Thomas or a Foster they would be in the rotation.

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I like Barry, too, but can we honestly say we expect him to play again this season? How long did it take him to reaggravate his injury once he came back?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I like Barry, too, but can we honestly say we expect him to play again this season? How long did it take him to reaggravate his injury once he came back?
Agreed. With the progression of Udoka probably a little ahead of schedule, even if he gets healthy I don't think he'll have a real shot at playing back into the rotation. If the Shaq and Gasol trades hadn't gone done I think I'd probably be in favor of hanging on to a good shooter, but the reality in the west now is that the Spurs probably need another big body.

Deimosfobos
02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
The core is great, but Bonner and Elson are dead weight...

remingtonbo2001
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
The core is great, but Bonner and Elson are dead weight...

I've come to the conclusion that Bonner is an insurance policy/future rotation player. I'll wait for his contributions next year.

Elson really doesn't have an excuse. I think the FO assumed Elson would catch on this year. I guess there's still time, but I'd be more satisfied with another big man.

SAGambler
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Personally, I think the Suns gave up more than they got and paid 40 mil to do it. Did anyone watch the Suns/GS game last night? Shaqs head could barely keep up with the way they were running up and down the court. How much of that can his body stand?

If the Dallas deal goes down, I think it may in a way inprove Dallas for most teams. But not the Spurs. I think it hurts them. Harris and Diop have been a pain in the ass for the Spurs and Tony will blow by Kidd like he isn't even there.

Gasol for sure helps the Lakers, but I think it is yet to be seen how much. I think more depends on both Bynums health and attitude when he returns, than how much Gasol upgrades them.

So three teams have gone out and got what they feel will put them over the hump. In other words, to beat the Spurs. But for us to make a trade just because everyone else has is stupid. Yes, it would be nice to get a big man to rebound and chest up with the Shaqs of this world. But not absolutely necessary. I think the Spurs may be looking for a good deal coming down the pike, thus Pop hasn't made the NO Trade statement he made last year. But if they don't find a good deal, I think they will go to the dance with the ones that got em there. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing.