PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Trade Idea!

George Gervin's Afro
02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Let's not trade anyone and roll with what we have. These guys deserve a chance to repeat... There is no one worth one of our big 3 and anyone who is available for Barry's expiring contract won't replace his clutchness and versatility..

oh and fuck the lakers..

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Not only would the Spurs be rolling with what they have, but they'd be rolling with their ability to land potential replacements for Barry, Finley, and Horry in free agency....

T Park
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
There is no one worth one of our big 3 and anyone who is available for Barry's expiring contract won't replace his clutchness and versatility..

His supposed clutchness and versatility don't do any good being hurt and on the bench.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Not only would the Spurs be rolling with what they have, but they'd be rolling with their ability to land potential replacements for Barry, Finley, and Horry in free agency....
Now I am really confused.

The only way I'm sold on trading for a K. Thomas is if we won't be able to maneuver enough to bring in younger, better replacements for those players.

If we make a trade, it should be for an impact player.

If we don't, then we take our chances in the playoffs and reload in the offseason.

I do not want to make a trade for a marginal player with a multi-year contract.

remingtonbo2001
02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Let's not trade anyone and roll with what we have. These guys deserve a chance to repeat... There is no one worth one of our big 3 and anyone who is available for Barry's expiring contract won't replace his clutchness and versatility..

oh and fuck the lakers..

+1

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Now I am really confused.

The only way I'm sold on trading for a K. Thomas is if we won't be able to maneuver enough to bring in younger, better replacements for those players.

If we make a trade, it should be for an impact player.

If we don't, then we take our chances in the playoffs and reload in the offseason.

I do not want to make a trade for a marginal player with a multi-year contract.

The way to look at it is that even if Horry, Finley, Barry, and Elson are not traded by the deadline and then are not re-signed, the Spurs will not be under the cap. So they will have the MLE and LLE to use to replace them in free agency (as well as the players whose draft rights they hold). If they trade some of them, then at least they won't have to count on free agency to replace them all. You've seen the Spurs' record in free agency. What makes more sense?

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
The way to look at it is that even if Horry, Finley, Barry, and Elson are not traded by the deadline and then are not re-signed, the Spurs will not be under the cap. So they will have the MLE and LLE to use to replace them in free agency (as well as the players whose draft rights they hold). If they trade some of them, then at least they won't have to count on free agency to replace them all. You've seen the Spurs' record in free agency. What makes more sense?
Dude... we are thinking the same (see the K. Thomas thread). Scary.

Make the trade and take the bird in the hand.

Sold.

jag
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Good point, teams that are rebuilding might be willing to dump a good player (i.e. the Grizz) for expiring contracts.

Joe Schmoogins
02-14-2008, 03:24 PM

oh and fuck the lakers..

agreed. glad to see someone post this.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
So the Spurs are going to lose Barry, Finley, and Horry this summer and end up better?

This is why I think they'll make a move before the deadline. It won't be because of the recent moves of other Western Conference teams.

T Park
02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
So you guys agree with going into the offseason not having any shot at all of replenishing the wing positions?

Greatness :tu

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
So the Spurs are going to lose Barry, Finley, and Horry this summer and end up better?

This is why I think they'll make a move before the deadline.
No.

That's why they should make a move before the deadline.

Because I have no faith in the Spurs front office luring talent in on the open market.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
No.

That's why they should make a move before the deadline.

Because I have no faith in the Spurs front office luring talent in on the open market.

It's not like they don't realize the uncertainty this summer.

They haven't exactly been that bad at landing quality role players.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
It's not like they don't realize the uncertainty this summer.

They haven't exactly been that bad at landing quality role players.
How hard is that, really?

Here's a bunch of cash to play for a title as your creep towards retirement!

Take the bird in hand.

Make a trade.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 03:38 PM
How hard is that, really?

Here's a bunch of cash to play for a title as your creep towards retirement!

Take the bird in hand.

Make a trade.

Not as easy as you might think. Where's Grant Hill?

yavozerb
02-14-2008, 03:39 PM
The spurs can win the title this year with players they already have this year..Makes no sense, unless it is someone who will stick around a while, to make a trade..

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Not as easy as you might think. Where's Grant Hill?
Who?

You wanted that china doll?

I didn't.

Point is that the front office can't bring in anyone good that's under 30 via free agency.

Make a trade.

Cry Havoc
02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Why would we want to risk the shot at this season's title to get marginally better in years down the road?

You do what you can to win a title and let the future play itself out. Let's get a back to back and attack the open market this off-season rather than force a panic trade just because everyone else is making a move. You're risking team chemistry and communication errors and this team thrives on defensive posture built over a season of teamwork. Come on, people. They're trading because they're scared of Mr. Duncan and Co. come playoff time. The way Manu is playing, I don't blame them.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Why would we want to risk the shot at this season's title to get marginally better in years down the road?

You do what you can to win a title and let the future play itself out. Let's get a back to back and attack the open market this off-season rather than force a panic trade just because everyone else is making a move. You're risking team chemistry and communication errors and this team thrives on defensive posture built over a season of teamwork. Come on, people. They're trading because they're scared of Mr. Duncan and Co. come playoff time. The way Manu is playing, I don't blame them.
The Spurs gonna win it this year because you say so?

We're talking about immediate help from a player without a huge, long-term contract.

Re-read the thread for the first time.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Who?

You wanted that china doll?

I didn't.

How's he been this season?

Point is that the front office can't bring in anyone good that's under 30 via free agency.

Make a trade.

Anyone under 30 who meets your definition of "good" costs $10+ mil per.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
How's he been this season?

Anyone under 30 who meets your definition of "good" costs $10+ mil per.
Wrong.

You can have the brittle geriatric G. Hill.

I am trying to look at ways to inject the rotation with some youth and athleticism.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Wrong.

You can have the brittle geriatric G. Hill.

Phoenix got him instead and he's been a great fit for them. The Spurs wanted him as well.

I am trying to look at ways to inject the rotation with some youth and athleticism.

And the ways you come up with make little sense or are a pipedream.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I resent that.

In many ways, we have been on the same page today.

I don't want to get older in a trade (unless it is an impact player, which is unlikely) or this summer.