PDA

View Full Version : Michael Redd?

tav1
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Since it seems to be the season for panic deals, we could move half our roster for Redd and Villanueva, both of whom the Bucks are trying to deal. It wouldn't be half bad if not for the fact that Redd's deal runs through 2011...but we'd have a huge expiring contract in the summer of 2010 for sign and trade purposes. I think this is better than taking back Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas, as others have suggested.

T Park
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Barry Elson Finley Bonner for Redd?

Not sure Milwaukee would do it, but I sure as hell would.

atxrocker
02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
bwahahaha... who are you guys willing to deal that the bucks would actually want? don't get carried away spur fan. this is not very realistic.

T Park
02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
White guy + Bucks = ultimate fan favorite

The people of Milwaukee would KILL to have Matt Bonner.

jag
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
haha why would we need a shooting guard....i guess redd could match up with Gasol.

fyatuk
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
haha why would we need a shooting guard....i guess redd could match up with Gasol.

We would, if we trade both Barry and Finley!

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Not just that, but Barry and Finley are free agents this summer. There's no guarantee that either will be back.

The Spurs will need to find at least one quality swingman by the end of this summer. I don't see the Spurs bringing both of those guys back.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
That said, the Spurs would have to include one of the big 3 to land Redd.

jag
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Good point!! I'd love to see that match up....i think Redd has Gasol with his quickness but it would be interesting to see how the 6'5 shooting guard matches up down in the low post.... :rolleyes

Indazone
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
lol yeah get Redd. Nobody else would ever get the ball. Redd is a black hole. Once he gets the ball it's getting jacked up.

jag
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
right now our worry is a big man, we can worry about landing a swing man in the offseason...one problem at a time.

fyatuk
02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Not just that, but Barry and Finley are free agents this summer. There's no guarantee that either will be back.

The Spurs will need to find at least one quality swingman by the end of this summer. I don't see the Spurs bringing both of those guys back.

Well, I was cracking a joke relating to an ealier post.

But you are right in that with our several expiring contracts with most likely retiring, we'll have a hard time filling up the roster spots. We might end up having to bring Elson back just because we couldn't get another body there.

Wings will definitely be a problem with just having whatever exemptions the Spurs will have. I'd hate to see the wings filled with vet min players...

T Park
02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
right now our worry is a big man, we can worry about landing a swing man in the offseason...one problem at a time.

With what money.

With what players?

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I think the Spurs have to be Popportunistic in that they are not going to trade or sign an established name-brand talent now or this summer.

They have to use their bargaining chips to grab a guy with a bad rep or an kid who is hasn't blossomed yet.

I would rather them bring in a player or two with the potential to develop than a guy we recognize that is already on the downhill.

Indazone
02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I think if you can get an Eddy Curry or a Nene Hilario, then you could run the double post offense again like you had with David Robinson. The missing piece is a big man who can score.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I think the Spurs have to be Popportunistic in that they are not going to trade or sign an established name-brand talent now or this summer.

They have to use their bargaining chips to grab a guy with a bad rep or an kid who is hasn't blossomed yet.

I would rather them bring in a player or two with the potential to develop than a guy we recognize that is already on the downhill.

Or get a pick.

Picking up a solid vet whose contract expires within two years isn't exactly a bad move. We are playing to win now, are we not?

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I think if you can get an Eddy Curry or a Nene Hilario, then you could run the double post offense again like you had with David Robinson. The missing piece is a big man who can score.

Can the Spurs do that without moving one of the Big 3?

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Or get a pick.

Picking up a solid vet whose contract expires within two years isn't exactly a bad move. We are playing to win now, are we not?
Absolutely.

Either get a vet who can contribute in the playoffs now and we trade/let him go over the course of the next season...

... or go with what we got and reload with unheralded players with potential and the token veteran dying for a ring this offseason.

I do not want to blow cap space or get locked into a long contract for anything less than a bonafide star, which we most likely won't be able to do for what we're offering and in the wake of the Shaq/Gasol/Kidd deals.

MoSpur
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
It ain't gonna happen!

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
The Spurs aren't going to be able to create any meaningful cap room until 2010 as it stands. Their only real shot at landing another star is through the draft. But even then, do they really need another star? The main focus should be on replenishing the supporting cast.

Ghost Writer
02-14-2008, 03:16 PM
The Spurs aren't going to be able to create any meaningful cap room until 2010 as it stands. Their only real shot at landing another star is through the draft. But even then, do they really need another star? The main focus should be on replenishing the supporting cast.
That's fine.

I'd prefer a couple young guys and veteran minimum replacements, rather than a J. Jones or a C. Magette.