PDA

View Full Version : OSU notebook: Cowboys' win a special one

MajorMike
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
OSU Notebook: Keeping a promise

By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
2/14/2008

OSU basketball players and coaches visited children who were battling cancer during a trip to Saint Francis Hospital last June 20.

As players huddled around Josh Honeycutt of Haskell, they asked the 14-year-old if there was anything they could do for him. He asked them to beat Baylor.

Josh had terminal cancer and did not live long enough to see the Cowboys keep the promise. OSU beat Baylor 93-83 Wednesday night.

"I don't know what he's got against Baylor, but he wanted us to beat them," OSU coach Sean Sutton said.

"So we invited his mother (Brenda) to the game tonight and afterwards I brought her into the locker room and all the guys stood up and introduced themselves and said hello to her and I presented her the game ball. Our guys signed it. It was a good scene. She really appreciated it. Some more family members were in there. It was emotional for them. I think it was a happy time for them."

Sutton said he is proud of his players for the way they handle themselves, including the way they have continued to fight through a difficult season and the way they dealt with the Honeycutts.

"Our players are really quality people," Sutton said. "They do a great job in situations like that of representing Oklahoma State and that (Honeycutt) family, they have been through a difficult time, but that was a happy, joyful moment for them tonight. Our guys did an unbelievable job when they were with them."

Cowboy Fans –

Just wanted to let each of you know what happened after the Baylor game last night.

This past summer, the men’s basketball team visited the St. Francis Pediatric Oncology Unit. While visiting the clinic, the team met a yo ung man by the name of Josh Honeycutt. Josh was courageously battling brain cancer at the young age of 14. The players gathered around Josh, spent some time with him, and took pictures with him (see attached). Coach Sean asked Josh who he wanted the team to beat this year. Josh’s response was “Baylor.” Terrell actually replied, “No problem we can do that for you.”

A few months later, Josh lost his battle and earned his angel wings.

At the Baylor game last night, Josh’s mother, grandmother, aunt, and cousin, were hosted by Bob Funk in the Express Personnel Services Suite. They wanted to attend the game in memory of Josh and cheer the Pokes on to victory just as Josh had requested. With about one minute left in the game, a basketball manager appeared in the suite and requested the family follow her. The family was taken down to the team locker room. Once the players were inside, Coach Sean handed the game ball to Brenda Honeycutt and told her that the team had not forgotten about Josh’s request. They wanted Brenda to have the game ball in Josh’s memory. Each member of the team stood up and introduced themselves. At the count of three, they chanted Josh’s name three times. Each player took turns signing the game ball and hugging members of Josh’s family. It was an amazing scene and one that the Josh’s family will never, ever forget.

GO POKES!

Kendria Cost, Marketing Coordinator
OSU Seretean Wellness Center

Andrea Cohen

Cowboys' win a special one
In June, the Oklahoma State basketball team went to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa to visit children suffering from cancer.

One of the players asked Josh Honeycutt, 14 at the time, if there was anything the team could do for him.

"Beat Baylor,” he told them.

"I don't know what he's got against Baylor, but he wanted us to beat them,” OSU coach Sean Sutton said. Josh died in August, before he got to see the Cowboys beat Baylor, but Sutton invited Josh's mother, Brenda, and several other family members to the game Wednesday night. He brought her into the locker room after the game and had all the players introduce themselves, and he presented her with the game ball.

"It was a good scene,” Sutton said. "It was emotional for them, but also I think a happy time for them. I think our guys felt good about it. They do a great job in situations like that representing Oklahoma State, and I was really proud of our players.”

Slideshow of Visit (http://www.osucoachesvscancer.com/Spreading%20Some%20Cowboy%20Cheer.swf)

degenerate_gambler
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Props to Josh...

smart kid not asking the team to win a road game.

Doug Collins
02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
"Our players are really quality people," Sutton said.

That proves that he has been liqoured up for at least the past 3 years.

SrA Husker
02-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Props to Josh...

smart kid not asking the team to win a road game.

:lol :lol