PDA

View Full Version : Zach Tomas to be cut!!!

yavozerb
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Source: Dolphins to release Zach Thomas

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
February 14, 2008
MIAMI (AP) -- The Miami Dolphins will release seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas, who plans to continue his career with another team.

Thomas was told of the team's decision Thursday, a person close to the player said on condition of anonymity because the Dolphins have not announced anything.

The decision was first reported on local newspaper Web sites. The Dolphins declined comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 34-year-old Thomas missed most of last season because of concussions and migraines and was placed on injured reserve against his wishes in December because of nagging migraines, an aftereffect of an Oct. 21 car crash.

The move is the second major salary slash this week by the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last season and subsequently brought in Bill Parcells to lead the team's rebuilding project.

Miami trimmed about $9 million in 2008 base salary on Monday, when it parted ways with quarterback Trent Green, wide receiver Marty Booker and seven other players. Thomas was slated to make just over $5.6 million in base salary this coming season.

Thomas was the 154th player chosen in the 1996 draft, and many observers didn't give the 5-foot-11 player from Texas Tech much chance of making the Miami roster.

From there, he only wound up one of the best linebackers in Dolphins history.

Thomas led the Dolphins in tackles 10 times, is the franchise's all-time leader in that category by a wide margin, and his 168 games is the most by any Miami defensive player.

He was remarkably durable in his first 11 seasons, missing only 13 games, and recorded a career-best 165 tackles in 2006 -- an indication he wasn't exactly slowing down.

But Thomas missed two games in September this season because of a concussion, and on Oct. 21, he took another hard shot off the field. Thomas had eight tackles in Miami's 49-28 loss to the New England Patriots, and as he and his wife drove home that day, their vehicle was rear-ended on Florida's Turnpike.

Originally, the Dolphins said Thomas was uninjured in that crash. But he experienced numerous migraines following that wreck, and never got back on the field in 2007.

He was inactive for the next seven games before the Dolphins put him on injured reserve, officially ending his season and sparking widespread speculation that his time with Miami could be drawing to a close.

A week ago, new Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said no decisions had been made about Thomas' status for 2008.

"We're doing what we have to do," Sparano said on Feb. 7 when asked about Thomas' future.

Updated on Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 2:29 pm, EST

monosylab1k
02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
He'd fit perfectly in New England. Old.

monosylab1k
02-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Also a cheater. Used info from a stolen playbook to kick the Patriots' ass in 2006.

Sign him up Belichick.

yavozerb
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I am a huge Dolphins/Thomas fan, but no reason to pay for a player recovering from concussions 6+ mil..I am very curious to see where all this extra $ will be spent the rest of the off-season.

popshark86
02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Also a cheater. Used info from a stolen playbook to kick the Patriots' ass in 2006.

Sign him up Belichick.

wow, you are a fucking idiot

blame that shit on Saban not Thomas

Flo-Rida
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
i have a big feeling The pats will sign him

TheSanityAnnex
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Thomas would be a perfect fit and a great mentor for the young Chargers ILB's. And they've got the cap to sign him. Brandon Siler and Anthony Waters are going to surprise people next year, much like Cromartie.

J.T.
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Same here.

popshark86
02-14-2008, 08:46 PM

it wont happen

he hates the pats and jets with passion

probably end up with the colts or chargers

TheSanityAnnex
02-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Chris Chambers gave him a call.

popshark86
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
i don't think the patsies want to get older

if he wants a ring, go to a team that has a chance to win like the colts, chargers, giants

patsies won't cheat anymore so they're going to suck

popshark86
02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Rumors are that the cowboys want him.

peewee's lovechild
02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
From si.com:

Cut Dolphin wants to play for...

Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 05:51AM ET

Zach Thomas welcomed the news the Dolphins terminated his contract Thursday, ending a dozen decorated but frustrating seasons in Miami. Thomas met with Miami football czar Bill Parcells and general manager Jeff Ireland on Thursday morning, at which time he actually thanked them for releasing him. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said he got several calls from teams interested in Thomas within hours of the player's release. The agent would not disclose what teams had called but did admit he's got a list of teams Thomas would be interested in playing for. Among those are Dallas, New England, Indianapolis and San Diego.

Miami Herald

peewee's lovechild
02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
He wouldn't be a bad fit at all in Dallas.

mardigan
02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
He wouldn't be a bad fit at all in Dallas.
I would rather not have an undersized old linebacker playing in their 3-4. Besides, who is he going to replace? The last thing the Boys need is linebackers.

JamStone
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
He's finished. Whether he signs with another team, we'll see. His next big hit, he won't wake up for a week.

peewee's lovechild
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
I would rather not have an undersized old linebacker playing in their 3-4. Besides, who is he going to replace? The last thing the Boys need is linebackers.

Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen did pretty damn good for being undersized LBs.

T Park
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
In a totally different defense though.

That being said, the Cowboys need corners and safeties.

johnsmith
02-15-2008, 04:32 PM

I'd love to see the Boys pick him up. Fuck, an old, slow linebacker not able to perform on a one win team any longer. I'd laugh my ass off.

popshark86
02-16-2008, 04:56 AM
I'd love to see the Boys pick him up. Fuck, an old, slow linebacker not able to perform on a one win team any longer. I'd laugh my ass off.

you don't know shit about the nfl

yes he is old but he is better than all the lbs that the cowboys have

he won the mvp award for linebackers last year

only reason he was out for the season was due to a car accident

smartest linebacker in the history of the nfl, he is everywhere

reason fins sucked at d this year was because we were missing zach

really hate to see this guy go

im sure the boys can get him cheaper and not hurt there cap

J.T.
02-16-2008, 05:30 AM
In a totally different defense though.

That being said, the Cowboys need corners and safeties.

We'll trade you Tim Jennings for Demarcus Ware or Newman :lol

J.T.
02-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Honestly if Thomas wants to play in Indy I wouldn't be opposed to it, but Thomas is better against the run than against the pass. IMO in his prime he was right up there with Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks but I'm not so sure now. Colts need pass rushers as top priority, getting Freeney and McFarland healthy and rehabbed should be #1 on their list, and if their highest draft picks are used for positions other that D line or guard of Scott/Lilja leave, I will be pissed. New England would be a good fit for him since they obviously have no problem with forcing a player to play through concussions and what not.

Flight3107
02-16-2008, 01:52 PM
you don't know shit about the nfl

yes he is old but he is better than all the lbs that the cowboys have

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09092007/photos/sports096a.jpg

K-State Spur
02-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Thomas hasn't been good in a couple of years.

bostonguy
02-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Honestly if Thomas wants to play in Indy I wouldn't be opposed to it, but Thomas is better against the run than against the pass. IMO in his prime he was right up there with Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks but I'm not so sure now. Colts need pass rushers as top priority, getting Freeney and McFarland healthy and rehabbed should be #1 on their list, and if their highest draft picks are used for positions other that D line or guard of Scott/Lilja leave, I will be pissed. New England would be a good fit for him since they obviously have no problem with forcing a player to play through concussions and what not.

Indy ought to go for another receiver as well. Harrison isnt getting any younger and his health is a concern. They need someone to take the pressure of the Wayne. Mannings other wideouts let him down and they could use a solid #2 guy. Harrison is a #3 guy now. Maybe Randy Moss? :drunk :drunk

bostonguy
02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
And relating to the topic of this thread, no way. Thomas is a washed up old scrub at this point and he will be of little use. Last thing Pats need are any more old as fuck linebackers.

J.T.
02-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Indy is set pretty good with Wayne and Gonzalez. Harrison's injury only made those two guys better receivers since they had to play all over the field instead of in position. I'd rather the Colts develop the WRs already on the roster than to waste money on a free agent. If they can get a consistent pass rush then their defense will be set for years and I don't see anything stopping them from winning more Super Bowls.

mardigan
02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Cowboys | Z. Thomas to visit team
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:28:28 -0800

The NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports free agent LB Zach Thomas (Dolphins) will visit with the Dallas Cowboys after the NFL Combine.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Shit

popshark86
02-17-2008, 05:04 PM
And relating to the topic of this thread, no way. Thomas is a washed up old scrub at this point and he will be of little use. Last thing Pats need are any more old as fuck linebackers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhCxz-aWr4

mardigan
02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Report: Patriots make offer to former Dolphins linebacker Thomas
ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 19, 2008, 10:20 AM ET

Always looking to turn another team's castoffs into their stars, the New England Patriots offered newly released and longtime Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas a contract Monday, according to a published report.

Thomas made New England the first destination on his offseason tour of free agency stops.

"We had a great visit in New England," Thomas' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told The Miami Herald in a text message Monday evening. "They offered him a contract and we will continue negotiations."

Next up for Thomas is a stop in New Orleans to visit with the Saints. On Wednesday, Thomas is expected to meet with the Cowboys.

Thomas, 34, was released by the Dolphins on Feb. 14 after playing in only five games in 2007. He missed most of last season because of concussions and migraines and was placed on injured reserve against his wishes in December because of nagging migraines, an after-effect of an Oct. 21 car crash.

Thomas' age doesn't appear to be an issue for the Patriots. Current New England linebacker Junior Seau is 39 while Tedy Bruschi is three months older than Thomas. Both Seau and Bruschi are free agents.

Thomas, a seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker and one of the most popular and productive players ever to wear a Dolphins uniform, was the 154th player chosen in the 1996 draft out of Texas Tech.

Thomas led the Dolphins in tackles 10 times during his 12-year stay in South Florida and is the franchise's all-time leader in that category by a wide margin. His 168 games is the most by any Miami defensive player.

Thomas was remarkably durable in his first 11 seasons, missing only 13 games, and recorded a career-best 165 tackles in 2006 -- an indication he wasn't exactly slowing down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3252668

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
How much could they have offered him? If I remember correctly, they had some key players to resign and didn't have much cap to work with.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
How much could they have offered him? If I remember correctly, they had some key players to resign and didn't have much cap to work with.
There's speculation that they offered the vet minimum + peformance bonuses.

Stallworth is gone and so is Samuel. Depending on what they do with Moss, they have enough to make decent offers to some free agents.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Stallworth is gone and so is Samuel. Depending on what they do with Moss, they have enough to make decent offers to some free agents.They have to extend Moss, and after that, do they really expect everyone to restructure their contracts?http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
They have to extend Moss, and after that, do they really expect everyone to restructure their contracts?http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif
They've been doing it for years, what makes you think things will change? And there's no guarantee that Moss will demand top dollar either.

If it makes you feel better to assume that every team has nothing but selfish crybabies who only look out for themselves (like the Chargers), go ahead. I was just offering what I knew.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
And there's no guarantee that Moss will demand top dollar either. Keep your fingers crossed.

If it makes you feel better to assume that every team has nothing but selfish crybabies who only look out for themselves (like the Chargers), go ahead. I was just offering what I knew.Please share your wealth of knowledge on the Chargers crybabies who only look out for themselves and their contracts.

If this were actually the case, explain to me how AJ Smith swindled every key greedy Chargers players into signing extensions and not seeking top dollar elsewhere, all while staying under the cap, year after year after year.

If you're gonna take a stab at my team, at least come with some substance and not some petty grudge.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
They've been doing it for years, what makes you think things will change? See: Denver Broncos

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Please share your wealth of knowledge on the Chargers crybabies who only look out for themselves and their contracts.
Please share with me your insider information on the Patriots inability to have players restructure their contracts this offseason.

Oh, wait, here it is...

See: Denver Broncos

Makes sense. Everyone knows that the Patriots modeled their franchise after the Denver Broncos.

Sorry, but circumventing the cap isn't an issue with Scott Pioli.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
All the restructuring finally caught up with the Broncos (and a few years of bad drafts.) You asked for an example, I gave you one. I didn't say it would happen to the Patriots but it is very possible. NFL players don't want to have to restructure their contracts year after year, as much as you'd like to believe every Patriot does.

I'm still waiting for you to share with us your knowledge of all the greedy Charger players who are only out for themselves, or should I just forget you said that and have nothing to back it up and we move on?

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
If it makes you feel better to assume that every team has nothing but selfish crybabies who only look out for themselves (like the Chargers)http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gif Find anything yet dipshit?

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm still waiting for you to share with us your knowledge of all the greedy Charger players who are only out for themselves, or should I just forget you said that and have nothing to back it up and we move on?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1855828

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1858275
record setting contracts = team first

that's just your "team leader" and quarterback :tu

J.T.
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Stallworth is gone and so is Samuel. Depending on what they do with Moss, they have enough to make decent offers to some free agents.

NE defense going to suck next year with them old ass linebackers, Samuel leaving, and Hobbs getting burned at the stake and thrown in the Mystic River.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 06:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1855828

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1858275
record setting contracts = team first

that's just your "team leader" and quarterback :tuThat doesn't backup your claim whatsoever.

Are you saying you've never seen a top pick hold out and negotiate their contract? Is this your first year watching football?

And what does Tomlinson being offered a huge contract after a record breaking season have to do with anything you stated? How does that make him "only out for himself"??? It was offered to him, not demanded by him.

You make a blanket statement like this and can only come up with two miserably failing rebuttals? You still need to prove the Chargers players are only out for themselves, or at least admit that you now realize how stupid of a comment it was to begin with.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
NE defense going to suck next year with them old ass linebackers, Samuel leaving, and Hobbs getting burned at the stake and thrown in the Mystic River.
The secondary could look real ugly. Brandon Merriweather showed me something at the end of the year, so if he could replace Harrison, that could be a huge upgrade. But we're pretty much screwed at CB.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the link mono, really goes to show how out for himself Tomlinson really is.

Tomlinson said he's never considered playing out his current deal or leaving the Chargers, a team that hasn't had a winning record or made the playoffs since 1995.

"In my opinion, that is what losers do," he said. "They bail out on a team. [They say] 'So this team is not winning, it's not going anywhere, I got to get out of here.'

"I've never been that way, so why change now?"

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
it's easy to say that after you signed a record breaking deal. barry bonds could sound like a decent guy after signing a big contract.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 06:22 PM
it's easy to say that after you signed a record breaking deal. barry bonds could sound like a decent guy after signing a big contract.Is this pretty much you :yield ?

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
That doesn't backup your claim whatsoever.
yes it does

Are you saying you've never seen a top pick hold out and negotiate their contract? Is this your first year watching football?
yeah but he was about to go play for the San Diego Fuckin Chargers, the greatest organization in football. He was negotiating with that Lombardi Trophy collecting genius AJ Smith. He couldn't make an exception for them?

And what does Tomlinson being offered a huge contract after a record breaking season have to do with anything you stated?

Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls and signed a contract that was pretty underwhelming in comparison to Peyton Manning's. LT doesn't win shit and gets rewarded with that?

How does that make him "only out for himself"???

because it does.

It was offered to him, not demanded by him.

yeah i'm sure LT would have played for peanuts if "offered" to him.

You still need to prove the Chargers players are only out for themselves,

I don't.

or at least admit that you now realize how stupid of a comment it was to begin with.

it wasn't.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Is this pretty much you :yield ?
no i'm less round and not yellow. don't own any flags.

TheSanityAnnex
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
If it makes you feel better to assume that every team has nothing but selfish crybabies who only look out for themselves (like the Chargers)The best RB in the league signs a contract offered to him and that somehow backs your claim of "the Chargers only look out for themselves." You are a fucking genius.

popshark86
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
who the f wants to play for the patsies

even if you win a super bowl with them it will always have an asterisk next to it

Zach will be with the cowboys next year