PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at Northern Illinois University.

Cry Havoc
02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
(CNN) -- At least two people have been shot and several injured shortly before 4 p.m. CT at Northern Illinois University outside Chicago, CNN affiliates are reporting.

The gunman who opened fire in Cole Hall, a lecture building, is dead according to DeKalb police, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the DeKalb County coroner's office said no fatalities had been immediately reported.

A local hospital tells CNN affiliate CLTV that it expects to receive 15 patients and have so far treated at least two.

CLTV reports that Kishwaukee Medical Center in DeKalb is currently treating six people with head wounds.

A woman named Corrine described the scene to CLTV, saying she was "carried out" of Cole Hall by a "wave" of students running for their lives.

"When one of the kids said, 'This guy is shooting!' I just ran to the next building as fast as I could and hid in an empty classroom."

Officers responded to a call of shots fired on campus around 3 p.m., DeKalb County Sheriff Roger Scott told the Tribune.

A professor at the school said there was a person with a gun in Cole Hall, a large lecture hall in Watson Hall. Scott said it was possible the assailant may have taken his own life.

The University has ordered its student body to seek shelter and canceled classes Thursday.

"Its has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," the school said in a posting on its DeKalb campus Web site. "All classes are canceled on the DeKalb campus. People are urged not to come to campus."

A law enforcement official being briefed on the situation tells CNN that the shooter used at least a shotgun. The official declined to be identified further because the incident was still developing.

An ATF spokesman tells CNN some of its agents are already on the scene-- strictly in an assistance role. He says one of the things ATF agents would do is help trace the weapon or weapons used. An FBI spokesman says several of that agency's agents were also en route to the scene to assist.

-----

This is an hour from me. People close to the University report 3 dead 15 wounded, unconfirmed.

Please pray for all those involved.

Shelly
02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Jesus...

monosylab1k
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
that's it, i'm homeschooling my kids.

i'd rather have socially inept homeschooled kids than send them to that death trap.

Spurminator
02-14-2008, 06:01 PM
You're giving your kids a college education at home?

Kriz-Maxima
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Might as well put bars on the windows and wrap them on a bubble.

bdictjames
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Not again..

The country where Im from had a bus bombing on V-day a couple years ago.

This is always a sad day.. and on V-day too.

monosylab1k
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
You're giving your kids a college education at home?
University Of Phoenix :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
CHL :tu

Mister Sinister
02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Holy shit. I was wondering why my friend in SA called me today...Jesus....

TheSanityAnnex
02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
University Of Phoenix :tuToo many lawsuits.:td

MaNuMaNiAc
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Seriously, its getting ridiculous how prevalent these kinds of shootings have become.

NorCal510
02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
These things make me sick.

I wish I could beat that guys ass.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
AHF's kid is going to get a degree from the Central Hockey League?

Rip-Hamilton32
02-14-2008, 09:00 PM
AHF's kid is going to get a degree from the Central Hockey League?
nope even worse, the canadian hockey league