PDA

View Full Version : Rumours that will make you sick

pad300
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50867/20080214/memphis_may_make_another_deal_with_nets/

Mike Miller for Magloire and Snackbar...

This after Pops burned his bridges with Memphis :(

ChumpDumper
02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
pfft. Pop didn't burn anything. Cash would make it all better.

T Park
02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Give the rich man money and he changes his mind.

Edit

Damn saw chump posted the same thing.

I don't know if the Spurs are looking at Miller, but the owner wants payroll cut, so they more than likely would still be all ears.

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
That would suck. It just means the Spurs don't want to get anything done. Don't shake up chemistry, don't add another player making such a chunk of salary cap.

This does show how little it could take to get Mike Miller, but it suggests the Spurs won't use what they have to get talent. As always, their considerations are elsewhere.

And, again, Pop's comments on the Gasol trade are suggestion enough there are no negotiations in place with Memphis.

remingtonbo2001
02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike Miller for Magloire and Snackbar...

This after Pops burned his bridges with Memphis :(

Well, if the Spurs aren't going to land him, I'm glad he's going east.

T Park
02-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Agreed. If he cnat go to SA, go to New Jersey where he would not be used at all.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2008, 06:25 PM
That would suck. It just means the Spurs don't want to get anything done. Don't shake up chemistry, don't add another player making such a chunk of salary cap.

This does show how little it could take to get Mike Miller, but it suggests the Spurs won't use what they have to get talent. As always, their considerations are elsewhere.

And, again, Pop's comments on the Gasol trade are suggestion enough there are no negotiations in place with Memphis.

Could it conceivably be true that the Spurs aren't actually interested in Mike Miller? I mean, that the Spurs have evaluated their roster and concluded that they have greater needs or that Mike Miller doesn't adequately fill a need? I hate to bring rampant optimism into a thread yearning for pessimism, but I just wonder if it's at all conceivable to anyone other than me that the Spurs might not actually feel that they want or need Mike Miller.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, it's kind of a waste of time to guess exactly what the Spurs are looking for -- but that won't stop me from acting like I know what's best for them.

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Could it conceivably be true that the Spurs aren't actually interested in Mike Miller? I mean, that the Spurs have evaluated their roster and concluded that they have greater needs or that Mike Miller doesn't adequately fill a need? I hate to bring rampant optimism into a thread yearning for pessimism, but I just wonder if it's at all conceivable to anyone other than me that the Spurs might not actually feel that they want or need Mike Miller.

No, I also think it's more than likely the Spurs don't actually want Mike Miller. While this is highly frustrating for some of us, obviously they know what they want and their track record speaks for itself. As far as I know, there's been no indication that he's a player they care about; he's just a guy someone mentioned here and the board caught fire a little. We see a fantastic shooter who rebounds and is athletic, with some years left, entering his prime, with pretty good size, but he's also expensive year-by-year, and may not fit the Spurs/Scientology space-metric. That's fine, although from the great distance where I sit, I don't see a vast difference between him and Barry, with greater rebounding and less ball-handling. I still would like a trade of some kind to shore up the team.

pad300
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
No, I also think it's more than likely the Spurs don't actually want Mike Miller. While this is highly frustrating for some of us, obviously they know what they want and their track record speaks for itself. As far as I know, there's been no indication that he's a player they care about; he's just a guy someone mentioned here and the board caught fire a little. We see a fantastic shooter who rebounds and is athletic, with some years left, entering his prime, with pretty good size, but he's also expensive year-by-year, and may not fit the Spurs/Scientology space-metric. That's fine, although from the great distance where I sit, I don't see a vast difference between him and Barry, with greater rebounding and less ball-handling. I still would like a trade of some kind to shore up the team.

I see one vast difference between Miller and Barry. $4,000,000. Miller's at roughly $9,000,000 Barry's at $5,000,000. That's a decent reserve, or looking at our present roster, a starter (Finley, Bowen, Oberto).

Mr. Body
02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I've said numerous times elsewhere that it's the money that is chasing the Spurs away.

exstatic
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
No one we could pick up will help us this year. It takes players a year to pick up the system. Pop already said that Damon, who he considers smart, won't "get it" even by the playoffs this year. It would be like playing a back up QB in the NFL: the playbook would be drastically curtailed whenever player A was in the game, including the playoffs.

Bruno
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
It makes few sense for nets to go after Miller unless they trade Jefferson or Carter.
There has also been a rumor that Heat were interested in Miller.

It's almost sure that Spurs have tried to get Miller given that it has been reported by Ludden who is the most reliable source about Spurs.
Are Spurs still trying to get him or have they given up for some reasons ? Nobody knows.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
A Miller deal seems like the type that won't go down until the deadline.

I'm sure the Spurs are working on something, and I'm sure we won't hear about it unless it actually happens.

Holt's Cat
02-14-2008, 08:06 PM
A Miller deal seems like the type that won't go down until the deadline.

I'm sure the Spurs are working on something, and I'm sure we won't hear about it unless it actually happens.

I don't see the Spurs moving Horry or Finley out of those with expiring contracts.

Barry and Elson have to be expendable. Elson, the most.

Bonner, Vaughn, and Mahinmi could find themselves in the mix depending on salaries and what is needed to get it done.

m33p0
02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
miller in a spurs uniform is redundant. there's already a slew of 3 point shooters on the team. if there's going to be a trade, its gonna be a replacement for elson. its also the most wise since its the one that would coz the least amount of negative impact in terms of team chemistry, and the most benefit if it works out well.

replacing someone who is in the rotation, like finley and barry, would disrupt things too much.

T Park
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM
replacing someone who is in the rotation, like finley and barry, would disrupt things too much.

Replacing Barry would be quite easy seeing as he doesn't play.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-14-2008, 11:20 PM
i know the Nuggets are trying to deal nene for exp contracts and then send them to memphis for miller/lowry

As for rumours, there is one that the nuggets could get miller and artest........... but i think its crap :lol

T Park
02-14-2008, 11:22 PM
JR Smith said the Nuggets "aren't making any trades"

SenorSpur
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I figured their interest in Mike Miller was a long-shot, at best - especially after Pop's rant. A rant that could very well have been premeditated by the CIA man.

I highly doubt they'll look to add another swingman now - especially if it means utilizing Barry's expiring contract.

I'll keep saying it over and over. For this team and for purposes of adding a different, yet more attractive skill set, I like Corey Maggette. Of course, he'll probably be out of their price range this summer.

ambchang
02-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I am not sure if Mike Miller is a need for the Spurs more than a nice to have for a very very high price.
What Miller provides is outside shooting and rebounding, he is also poor on defense and TO prone.
Barry, when healthy, has slightly better shooting than him, worse rebounding, slightly worse defense, and a much better basketball IQ. Barry can be the backup PG on a pinch.
On the financial side, Miller makes $8.25 M this year, $9 next year, and $9.75 in 2010, while Barry and Elson come off the books at the end of this year (providing we are talking Elson and Barry for Miller, allowing Memphis to dumb salary).
So what we are talking about is basically killing the Spurs cap flexibility ($18.75M for two years) for a slightly improved Barry.
This is a hell of a lot of money for a role player type, who would also need to relearn the whole system in a very short period of time.
Besides, the Spurs need interior rebounder who has quickness to defend the new age PFs and also the range to stick a long jumper to open up the lanes. The hope is to get a younger Robert Horry, but players of that basketball IQ don't just stroll around waiting to be signed, Matt Bonner has proved to be a mistake. So far, they are still searching.
Would Channing Frye be that target? Would Mahinmi or Splitter grow into that role? I hope at least some of that would come true.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-14-2008, 11:50 PM
JR Smith said the Nuggets "aren't making any trades"

:lol JR doesnt even know if he is playing night to night. Somehow i think he would be out of the loop when it comes to trades.

Hopefully he is part of one and thats the reason why GK is showcasing him :clap

T Park
02-14-2008, 11:57 PM
So what we are talking about is basically killing the Spurs cap flexibility

What cap flexibility?

T Park
02-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Hopefully he is part of one and thats the reason why GK is showcasing him

Bring him on.

Ill trade Elson for him.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
So what we are talking about is basically killing the Spurs cap flexibility ($18.75M for two years) for a slightly improved Barry.What cap flexibility?

Personally, I would definitely take an improved Barry who isn't even 28 years old yet.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Bring him on.

Ill trade Elson for him.

:lol no way. JR could make a good team much better if he gets his head on straight.

I'm all for the nuggets keeping him if he keeps working hard. It was nice seeing him drain 8 3's the other night and the nuggets certainly need shooting come playoff time

MrChug
02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I really have always enjoyed hating Mike Miller.

He looks exactly like this ugly girl I know named Victoria Viorde.

Manudona
02-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I would love the Spurs not making any move. How sweet would it be to win a championship while looking at all the other teams making desperate moves, and what would the other teams do next year, knowing that the Spurs will have 1/3 1/4 of the cap space for getting better? :rolleyes

YODA
02-15-2008, 02:42 AM
I have a different opinion on this. the Spurs classic game is inside, outside. Beyond TD, we have nothing on the inside presence. Horry is servicible at best, Elson been benched for year it seems, and Oberto is Avg at best. Interier D has been horible beyond TD. The D is based on fielding the players into the bigs. Thats great if the bigs are there to help, but sucks when its elson, bonner back there. If the the wings dont just help coming, the whole game plan is shot.

The Spurs Off is lackaduster at best. This year, those shooters who we count on have been less then spectacular. Finley been off most of the year, Horry just know having a few decent games. Bonner been sent to the bench, Bowen seems scared to even try these days. Barry been decent, but out of action for ever. Oduka been decent, but still learning the system.

Now,,what do we need?

for the future, what will we need? Bonners contract is still good next year, so it looks like he will be here unless theres a trade of some sort.
Elson im scared to say might be resigned if to smooth the transition of our 2 rookie centers. Id like some solid veteran to come take over the role of Horry. I still dont like him though. I wonder about OBerto too, To resign him again is questionable.

Gaurds are another question. Do we resign barry , finley? sheesh. We have to get younger eventually.

For current needs, I dont see an insinde presence we could get that would fit, but its obvious we could use a shooter. my thoughts are Mike miller and JR SMith.

objective
02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Mike Miller is perfect for the Spurs, and one of the reasons actually is cap flexibility.

He fits in perfectly with the 'summer 2010' plan when the only large contracts on the books are Duncan and Parker, because that's when Miller's contract ends.

Furthermore, after this season, the Spurs will have no more luxury tax worries, but they will only have the MLE to play with until summer 2010. Miller is a LOT better than anyone else they could sign with the MLE.

In addition, Miller could become an instant starter next season at worst, he would fill the 'Finley as starter' role so Manu can come off the bench only Miller is much better than Finley.

There isn't a way that Miller doesn't make sense for the Spurs based on his skills, age, contract and contract length.

JPB
02-15-2008, 05:00 AM
for the future, what will we need? Bonners contract is still good next year, so it looks like he will be here unless theres a trade of some sort.
Elson im scared to say might be resigned if to smooth the transition of our 2 rookie centers. Id like some solid veteran to come take over the role of Horry. I still dont like him though. I wonder about OBerto too, To resign him again is questionable.

Gaurds are another question. Do we resign barry , finley? sheesh. We have to get younger eventually.

For current needs, I dont see an insinde presence we could get that would fit, but its obvious we could use a shooter. my thoughts are Mike miller and JR SMith

Now,,what do we need?

Elson won't be resigned with Tiago and Ian coming next year.

And Oberto's contract isn't expiring this year.

JPB
02-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Another rumor has :

Nuggets Linas Kleiza, Eduardo Najera, Steven Hunter and J.R. Smith
for
Randolph and another Knick.

bobbybob0
02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Another rumor has :

Nuggets Linas Kleiza, Eduardo Najera, Steven Hunter and J.R. Smith
for
Randolph and another Knick.

That's just crap, even a focused Randolph (if that's ever possible) makes no sense for them with their loaded frontcourt.

And one of their most glaring needs is defense, that's not what Randolph is known for.

He's good at rebounding but they already have a great rebounder in Camby and Carmelo is doing a much better job this year on the boards.

mountainballer
02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
No, I also think it's more than likely the Spurs don't actually want Mike Miller. While this is highly frustrating for some of us, obviously they know what they want and their track record speaks for itself.

Miller might be the most talented player currently on the market the Spurs might have a realistic chance to get.
long term he would fill many needs, that will have to be filled in the future.
but when thinking about needs right now, I would agree, that other holes are more urgent.
IMO the no.1 concern is the 3rd big in the PO rotation. (alongside Tim and Oberto). Horry just isn't any longer the player to deliver 20-25 quality minutes in the PO. he still will be a great option for the 4th big, who plays about 10 minutes and comes in for certain matchups and plays. Elson and Bonner are far from being a good solution for that kind of PO minutes. (if they play that much, we will see a significant quality drop. it wasn't without reason that Elson didn't get much and Bonner didn't get any PT last PO)
Foster might be the most realistic option to get and his contract is easier to swallow. of course he is far from the kind of talent injection Miller would give us, but short term (talking about the upcomming POs) he might provide a more significant overall impact, than Miller would.
a big rotation of Tim-Oberto-Foster, with Horry as a player for special moments, looks well balanced and suited for many possible matchups and game situations.

genomefreak13
02-15-2008, 08:42 AM

I agree to that...I don't know what's brewing in SA, but conservatism has always been my perspective of the spurs. If any deal would turn out before the deadline, it would indicate that the spurs thinks that they're in trouble. Probably the rise to the finals would be a steep and difficult climb. We're no longer have the best roster in paper, we can just hope that we still have the best three in practice.

Mr. Body
02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Miller is too risky, even if most of us love him. The Spurs just don't spend $9 million a season on a player who MAY fit in. It's not in their play book. And alpinedude makes the case (as have others) that the big is a position of greater need at the moment.

ambchang
02-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Miller's contract will roll off in the grand plan year (2010), BUT, in:
2009 - Spurs have 8 players on roster, and $53.8M on payroll
2010 - 6 players on contract (Team option on Mahinmi), with $52.7M on payroll.
In order to compete, the Spurs can use their mid-level, bi-annual exceptions and extensions to fill those spots. If Miller came in, the Spurs will be at around $61M for the next two years, with 6 to 8 roster spots to fill with the remaining $9M without going over the luxury tax, which is unlikely.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
There is no way Memphis deals with us now after Pop's b1tching.