PDA

View Full Version : K Bryant with Long term injury?

pad300
02-14-2008, 09:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3246576

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Kobe Bryant was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his right pinkie finger Thursday and the Lakers All-Star has decided not to undergo surgery that could sideline him for six weeks.

Matchman
02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
misleading thread title - " DECIDED NOT TO UNDERGO SURGERY"

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
If he re-injures it the Lakers are fucked.

Findog
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
He's going to be a gamer and play on it

Lakafan23
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
That sucks hes not gonna be in the 3 point contest anymore

peskypesky
02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Lakers are in trouble. This sounds like the kind of injury that is just going to be re-aggravated every couple of games.

Findog
02-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Would that be so terrible for LA? They get a lottery pick to an already stacked team?

DazedAndConfused
02-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Kobe is a gamer, if anyone can play through an injury it's him. The fact that he is going to play in the All-Star game and wants to delay surgery until after the Olympics shows me that this is a non-issue. If he does get the surgery now he misses 4-6 weeks, which isn't that bad considering we only play 1 game in the 1st week.

It's not like we need Kobe to score 40-50 pts a night anymore. Not an issue.

T Park
02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
It's not like we need Kobe to score 40-50 pts a night anymore

You wont be saying that when Pau pulls his usual dissapearing act.

MajicMan
02-14-2008, 11:57 PM
You wont be saying that when Pau pulls his usual dissapearing act.
http://www.ssqq.com/romance/images/fat%20guy.jpg

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Well if Kobe misses 6 weeks we could very well not make the playoffs.

I think he'll be fine, it will be an issue in the sense that the trainers will have to stay on top of it after every game. When Bynum gets back it will really ease the load on Kobe having to score big every night. And it's only his pinky finger, he still has all of his athleticism. Parker couldn't even run without pain, big difference.

MajicMan
02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Listen..Kobe needs to be smart here..he needs to rest until his hand is fully healed. Kobe is fantastic but the Lakers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs unless he is 100% healthy. The west is too deep this year!
He should have rested it when he first hurt it like Lebron did. A lot of people were clowning Lebron for sitting out with a sprained finger but Lebron is looking pretty damn smart now.

cherylsteele
02-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Well if Kobe misses 6 weeks we could very well not make the playoffs.

I think he'll be fine, it will be an issue in the sense that the trainers will have to stay on top of it after every game. When Bynum gets back it will really ease the load on Kobe having to score big every night. And it's only his pinky finger, he still has all of his athleticism. Parker couldn't even run without pain, big difference.
If Kobe catches the ball wrong, slaps at the ball as a defender, or someone slaps at the ball while he is on offense it could make surgery a must for that injury. Even though it is on his pinky, it has a good possibility of effecting his shooting and ball handling abilities.

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2008, 03:04 AM
As much as I would enjoy seeing Kobe writhe in agony, that fool should get the surgery or it could end his season then they'd be fucked anyway

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Face it you guys are all relishing in the injuries to the Lakers. You know this is your last shot at a title for a long time.

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Face it you guys are all relishing in the injuries to the Lakers. You know this is your last shot at a title for a long time.

I could give a rats ass about the Lakers this current crop hasn't proven anything. if you're ready to crown them then crown their asses. I however, choose to wait.

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
I could give a rats ass about the Lakers this current crop hasn't proven anything. if you're ready to crown them then crown their asses. I however, choose to wait.

You know deep down you were glad when you heard the news Kobe's injured his pinky.

bostonguy
02-15-2008, 09:44 AM
If anyone can adjust his game just right, it is Kobe Bryant. No one is 100% going into the playoffs. Duncan wasnt in 2005. Kobe wasnt in the 2000 finals when he sprained his ankle. If Kobe can stay on the court, he is going to play and be effective while doing it.

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Of course it is something to look out for, but Kobe is a solider and will play through the pain. That's the only real issue here, pain and swelling. He cannot damage it any further because it is already torn. A good tape job and intense treatment should allow him to play with at a high level. I expect once Bynum gets back Kobe should be able to get some rest before the playoffs. We can win with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom.

You should be worried about your boy Parker who can't even run without pain, that's a far more serious issue than a pinky injury.

Spuradicator
02-15-2008, 11:40 AM
That sucks hes not gonna be in the 3 point contest anymore

Funny, sounds like that is your biggest concern :lol

Spuradicator
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Of course it is something to look out for, but Kobe is a solider and will play through the pain. That's the only real issue here, pain and swelling. He cannot damage it any further because it is already torn. A good tape job and intense treatment should allow him to play with at a high level. I expect once Bynum gets back Kobe should be able to get some rest before the playoffs. We can win with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom.

You should be worried about your boy Parker who can't even run without pain, that's a far more serious issue than a pinky injury.

You have obviously never torn a ligament in your hand have you. Its painful and bothersome as hell. Now is Kobe a gamer? Without a question he is. But don't be ignorant and expect a "good tape job" to fix it and nullify all pain and discomfort when a hand expert recommended surgery.

Medvedenko
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
He'll be fine....If he needs to sit out a few games here and there, than so be it.

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
You also don't have access to a top notch medical team like Kobe does.

If the Lakers thought there was a decent chance of Kobe playing through this and then re-injuring himself causing the need for surgery they wouldn't let Kobe play. They would tell him to get the surgery right now. Clearly they don't think the possibility of him re-injuring it further is large enough to sit him out for 6 weeks.

Medvedenko
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
This will affect his #'s and effectiveness that's for sure...look at the games after he injured his hand...brutal really. Still, I see him play cameo minutes at the all-star break and probably rest a few games here and their during the reg season. Also, I heard he won't be practicing with the team, so it will hurt the Pau chemisitry a little.

Gino20
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Out of the spirit of competition, I would love to see Kobe on the court. However, I don't think thats going to happen. According to Ric Bucher, this is an injury that 99% of players in the league would have surgery for. Now, is Kobe 99% of players??? Of course not! However, this injury will probably just get worse as time progresses when you factor in dribbling, passing, shooting, and not to mention the players who are going to whack Kobe's hand. Bucher finally stated that he will need to have surgery. Of course, thats what the medical staff believes too. I still believe the Lakers can be in the playoff race when he comes back. If he does decide to have surgery, Gasol will have to live up to some expectations.

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't believe anything Pucher says about the Lakers. He is flat out wrong 99% of the time.

The reason Kobe shot poorly after the injury in NJ was because of the TAPE JOB. It was too restrictive and gave Kobe a different feel on the ball he hadn't adjusted to. When they removed the tape job he played fine. Hasn't history taught you fucktards anything, this is Kobe Bean Bryant. This is a non issue.

Fabbs
02-15-2008, 01:33 PM
So will any opponents take a nice swipe at Komes finger?

After years of seeing him get all the pamper calls.

Gino20
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
In the end, it's not about being a solider or a warrior...it's about being smart! I am sorry, but a simple tape job is not gonna cut it! In the end, I will side with the medical staff...

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
If the Lakers are going to let Kobe play through this then they must have some modicum of confidence it won't get significantly worse. This could also be a nice ploy to get Kobe out of the ASG.

John Ireland was just on ESPN news and said he would bet his house that Kobe will not miss any time.

For those that don't know John Ireland is the K-CAL 9 sideline reporter for all Laker games.

Gino20
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
The thing that sucks is that its his shooting hand! Thats the bummer! Only time will tell...it dont look good right now though. Medical staff stating the he should have surgery, Kobe stating that he cant feel his finger or something, and the fact that its his shooting hand...a sprain is bad enough sometimes.

DazedAndConfused
02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
The thing that sucks is that its his shooting hand! Thats the bummer! Only time will tell...it dont look good right now though. Medical staff stating the he should have surgery, Kobe stating that he cant feel his finger or something, and the fact that its his shooting hand...a sprain is bad enough sometimes.

This is Kobe Bryant, he'll find a way to be effective even if it means he has to alter his shooting technique.

ApolloCreed
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Kobe should just chop the damn thing off.

Like its gonna effect him shooting 40 times a game.

ancestron
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
He should get surgery. Welcome him back at the end of March.
It will probably hurt their playoff seeding, but they will have a better chance at making a deep run with their best player having a healthy shooting hand, regardless of their seeding. It also could be a blessing in disguise, helping the Lakers learn to win without Kobe.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM

Hell yeah! Ronnie Lott style!

That's a tough call to make. Looking at their schedule for the next six weeks I think they could probably play .500 ball. There's a number of bad teams in there, but there's also a couple of games against Portland, Phoenix, and a nasty road trip that goes through NO, Houston, Utah, and Dallas. Any other season I think .500 ball would keep them in the hunt, but this year? Shit. If it were my call to make I'd say take the surgery, get back in time for the last few weeks, and hope your squad can keep it afloat until then.

There's just no good way "take it easy" on hand injury in basketball short of just not playing. And if the worst case scenario reports are correct if he busts this thing any worse the surgery is going to be all but mandatory and you could lose him for the playoffs if it happens late enough in the year.

TheNextGen
02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Kobe is retarted and needs to get surgery NOW so he can get back for the playoffs. If he waits..he'll just reinjure it and will miss the rest of the season.

Gino20
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
I won't be surprised if he chooses to have surgery within the next week or so...I think he will soon realize that an unhealthy Kobe won't get it done come playoff time.

Gino20
02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
In the end, I hope Kobe is 100% healthy come playoff time. It will make it that much more exciting come playoff time. I hate when this stuff happens to teams. Garnett, Parker, Kobe, Tmac, etc...get healthy guys!

Medvedenko
02-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Maybe the Lakers should sit Kobe, Bynum, Ariza, Pau and while they're at it Odom for now on.....they are all banged up. They could tank and get a high lottery pick.

BonnerDynasty
02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Bowen...you know what to do.

Medvedenko
02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Bowen...you know what to do.

Yup....I can see Bowen doing this....extra spicey on the hack. But that's sports for ya.

remingtonbo2001
02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Yup....I can see Bowen doing this....extra spicey on the hack. But that's sports for ya.

Do I need to bring up clips of Kobe raking Manu across the face?

I bet it's a dumb-ass play like that which is going re-injure his finger.

exstatic
02-15-2008, 10:20 PM
He should get the surgery. The injury sounded catastrophic. There was a small fracture caused by the tendon ripping a piece of bone away as it separated. You need to get that taken care of. I'm hoping this doesn't have long term ramifications if he continues to play on it.

exstatic
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Like its gonna effect him shooting 40 times a game.
Ronnie Lott actually had the last section of one of his pinkie fingers amputated, because the recovery time was shorter than fixing it, like less than a week.

Allanon
02-16-2008, 12:15 AM
That Ronnie Lott story is crazy, I had heard of it before...amputating a piece of your finger?

I actually think Kobe will have surgery even though he doesn't want to. After the Phoenix Suns game, the Lakers have an easy February schedule going into March and March itself is a pretty easy schedule with 1 rough stretch in the middle. But Bynumite should be back by then.

Spurs have done extremely well considering Tony Parker's been out for what has seemed like forever.

LaMarcus Bryant
02-16-2008, 01:06 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that this injury will have no effect whatsoever on Kobe's performance in the playoffs.
I'm being dead serious. Give me a fucking break people, stop the bull shit hopefulness, and laker fans stop the pussy woe is me bit. It's KOBE we're talking about here. Kobe Bryant, the half black guy named after a japanese steak that was raised in Italy, likes to rap in his spare time, won three championships in a row, and cried the last time the spurs beat him in the finals.

word
02-17-2008, 06:04 AM
He should just do a Ronnie Lott.

TheNextGen
02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
he should just get the damn surgery

ChumpDumper
02-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't be rapin' during the recovery this time.

LakeShow
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't be rapin' during the recovery this time.

or slapping around his little bitch!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/374757431_9e7e611dbd.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-17-2008, 05:59 PM
At least Kobe got what he deserved for that assault.

LakeShow
02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
At least Kobe got what he deserved for that assault.

Manu should do as kobe says, Sit on the toilet when you take a leak, bitch!!

ChumpDumper
02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Tell me -- did someone hit Kobe to make him cry like a bitch?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/kobeinside.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/bloodylamer/bastardly-photos/0505/predump2004/kobe1.jpg

OWNED

T Park
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
:lol @ Laker trolls running smack at Ginobili, one of the players Kobe aboslutely loves.

T Park
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Is that vanessa showing kobe where hes packing his shit after she divorced him?

ChumpDumper
02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
He's even carrying her purse.

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope Kobe is doing the right thing. I can't say that I would prefer that he have surgery because deep down I do not. Hopefully he can rest a few games here and there and be ok. Listening to the trainers who looked at him for the all star game, they all said he should not be playing. If that's the case, he needs to have the surgery.

Findog
02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/bloodylamer/bastardly-photos/0505/predump2004/kobe1.jpg

OWNED

Who are you, Perez Hilton? Did you draw those yourself?

jmard5
02-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I hope Kobe is doing the right thing. I can't say that I would prefer that he have surgery because deep down I do not. Hopefully he can rest a few games here and there and be ok. Listening to the trainers who looked at him for the all star game, they all said he should not be playing. If that's the case, he needs to have the surgery.

What a confusing tale...

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
What a confusing tale...

Yeah, I don't know what he should do, I'm not kobe. But if he's getting all this advice from doctors and trainers to have surgery. He should, imo. Of course I know that him being out will hurt the lakers title hopes but what can you do?

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Is that vanessa showing kobe where hes packing his shit after she divorced him?

No, that's not Vanessa!

ChumpDumper
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Who are you, Perez Hilton? Did you draw those yourself?Have you never used google? Keywords: kobe crying bitch.

Findog
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Have you never used google? Keywords: kobe crying bitch.

Have you never encountered sarcasm before?

BonnerDynasty
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm not worried.

Horry will just hip check him and Bowen will stomp on it.

Should have traded him for Lebroom when you had the chance.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Have you never encountered sarcasm before?Never.