PDA

View Full Version : Jones: I won't be traded

LakeShow
02-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Damn, Jones says he's going nowhere too! Does he have the same contract?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/021408dnspomavssider.3b545cc.html

Jones: I won't be traded

Veteran swingman says he's not an option to replace George in deal

11:03 AM CST on Thursday, February 14, 2008
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

If the Jason Kidd trade is to be salvaged, it will happen without Eddie Jones being involved.

Jones said after Wednesday night's game that he has no intention of being traded to a non-championship contender.

"There is no next stop for me," Jones said. "I'll go home."

It doesn't appear that's an option for the Mavericks anyway. An NBA source said late Wednesday that the team is still hopeful that the deal as constructed would get an OK from Devean George, whose unwillingness to give up his early Larry Bird free-agent rights blocked the deal that the Mavericks had in place.

Kidd, along with Malik Allen and Antoine Wright, would have come to the Mavericks, with New Jersey receiving George, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Moe Ager, two first-round draft picks and cash considerations.

When the dust settled and the deal was in limbo, so were all the players involved, which makes for an uncomfortable situation.

"It's tough," Diop said. "I don't care who you are, it's tough. You're a human being, and you don't know if you're going to be here or not.

"You never know who's going to be here tomorrow."

Stackhouse and Harris were hanging in the wind for several hours as the trade was believed to be finalized, then was blocked.

Stackhouse was in a particularly delicate situation because he supposedly would have returned to the Mavericks in a month after a buyout by the Nets that would have been partially funded by the Mavericks.

"Obviously there have been a lot of reports going on, but I hadn't heard anything officially from the team or anything," Stackhouse said before the deal had been squelched. "It's just business as usual until something else happens."

Stackhouse was clear about what he expects to happen if he is bought out in any trade scenario.

"Obviously, if that happens, my first choice would be to come back to Dallas," he said. "We just settled in and bought a house here and my family's here. I don't know. It's just kind of a wait and see."

Harris, meanwhile, said trade talk was "part of life" for him and all players. He recycled his line from a week ago, saying "I'm just a spectator to the madness."

Stackhouse, at least, didn't have to go out and play because he's recovering from a hamstring injury. Ditto for Harris, who has a bone bruise in his left ankle. Stackhouse was asked if the speculation was bothersome.

"You look at a talent like Jason Kidd, if it does happen, you're getting one of the greatest competitors that ever played in the game," Stackhouse said. "I just don't know right now. It's one of those things where I'm kind of out of the loop, too. Until somebody says something to confirm everything, I'm here at work."

himat
02-14-2008, 11:53 PM
:clap :clap :lmao

lurker
02-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Trenton Hassel: Don't look at me! I don't want to go either.

maxpower
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons. from wikipedia

mavs should waive him.

himat
02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
What I don't understand is the fact that Dallas actually put that in his contract. Why would the Mavs put a no trade clause in his contract??

monosylab1k
02-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh for fuck's sake, do we have to explain this A HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Devean George DOES NOT HAVE A NO-TRADE CLAUSE. He has some obscure rule in his contract per the CBA.

And Eddie Jones DOES NOT HAVE A NO-TRADE CLAUSE. Read what he's fucking saying. He's saying that if he's traded to NJ, he will not report, he will just retire instead.

The only thing more ridiculous than this whole situation is the fucking dumb shits on this site who don't know how to fucking read.

JamStone
02-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm not 100% positive about this but I think it's a CBA rule that if a player signs a one year contract, he cannot be traded without his consent. It's not that Devean George got some special consideration when he signed. It's more that the NBA is trying to prevent teams from signing players to fairly small or reasonable contracts for one year for the sole purpose of using them in a trade in the middle of the season. I don't think it's all that obscure a rule.

MajicMan
02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
I won't be traded? Even if your team tells you you suck?

BonnerDynasty
02-15-2008, 12:52 AM
It's the Bird rule. if a player had a one year contract last year...and he has another one year contract this year...if he is traded he can't be bumped up in salary so he has option to say no to trade.

Some bullshit like that. Kobe is only player who has a no-trade clause.

This is funny though.

PM5K
02-15-2008, 01:27 AM
I think Bonner got it right, he can say no to the trade because he would loose his Bird rights, actually I think it's his early Bird rights.

Interestingly that made me think, can't the Mavericks just tell him they have no intention of resigning him?

himat
02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh for fuck's sake, do we have to explain this A HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Devean George DOES NOT HAVE A NO-TRADE CLAUSE. He has some obscure rule in his contract per the CBA.

And Eddie Jones DOES NOT HAVE A NO-TRADE CLAUSE. Read what he's fucking saying. He's saying that if he's traded to NJ, he will not report, he will just retire instead.

The only thing more ridiculous than this whole situation is the fucking dumb shits on this site who don't know how to fucking read.

It's okay.

Fine I will use the correct term "Bird Rights"

I never said Eddie Jones had a no trade clause too.

Fabbs
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
^ And the league put a stop to the "I won't play for that team" crap after Zo Mourning burned Toronto.

Altho what could they do to Jones if he just retired?
Mess with any of his back pay or retirement?

mardigan
02-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Man, NBA players are little bitches