PDA

View Full Version : League to look at Stackhouse's comments

JPB
02-15-2008, 05:12 AM
I think it's Bruno who was wondering what NBA would say about that. There you go :

League to look at Stackhouse's comments

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
February 15, 2008

NEW ORLEANS – As the New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks feverishly worked to convince Devean George to join in the trade for Jason Kidd on Thursday, there suddenly loomed another issue that could obliterate the proposed deal: the loose lips of Jerry Stackhouse.

The NBA will investigate the possibility the Mavericks and Stackhouse violated league rules with a prearranged agreement for the forward to return to Dallas after reaching a contract buyout in New Jersey and sitting out the 30-day waiting period, sources said. Several league sources said the NBA will consider forbidding Stackhouse to re-sign with the Mavericks this season as punishment for public comments the forward made on Wednesday that suggested tampering could have occurred.

If it comes to that, the deal is dead. Dallas owner Mark Cuban wouldn't complete the trade for Kidd without a belief that he could bring back Stackhouse this season. Ultimately, sources say, Mavericks management decided that losing Stackhouse would be too hard of a hit to the Mavericks' depth, too steep a price to pay for Kidd.

For the Mavericks, the trouble started when Stackhouse, 33, gave an interview to the Associated Press on Wednesday that suggested there was a plan for how his trade, buyout and eventual re-signing with Dallas would unfold.

Stackhouse said that he was only part of the deal "to make the numbers work."

ADVERTISEMENT

What's more, he said, "I feel great. I get 30 days to rest then I'll be right back. I ain't going nowhere."

Even if George changes his mind on Friday about agreeing to waive his "Early Larry Bird Rights" and accept the trade to New Jersey, sources said the league office will not immediately approve the trade. With angry rival executives across the league expressing outrage over Stackhouse's comments, as well as the NBA's own issues and suspicions with the comments, senior VP of basketball operations Stu Jackson is obligated to look deeper into the matter.

The NBA doesn't allow such prearranged agreements. The rest of the league is required to have a fair chance to sign Stackhouse in the 30 days before he is eligible to re-sign with the Mavericks. It doesn't help appearances that Stackhouse and Kidd share the same agent, Jeff Schwartz.

When several league executives read Stackhouse's comments on Wednesday, they were irate and privately promised to protest if Stackhouse ends up passing on leaguewide offers and returns to the Mavericks.

"It sounds like a side deal, doesn't it?" one Eastern Conference executive said. "The league will have a lot of explaining to do if Stackhouse goes back to Dallas."

Another general manager said, "I thought it was the most blatant statement someone could make about a trade. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the league disallowed Stackhouse to go back to Dallas. Stackhouse is too impulsive and is prone to say stuff like that which could really end up hurting Dallas."

Finally, a third GM said, "It's caused a lot of people to wonder how they could get away with that, how those kind of pre-existing arrangements can be allowed."

For now, it is clear the trade that would send Kidd and Malik Allen to Dallas for George, Stackhouse, Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop and Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and $3 million is stuck. Before the Mavericks' 109-97 loss to the Suns in Phoenix on Thursday night, agent Mark Bartelstein insisted that his client hadn't changed his mind about vetoing his trade to the Nets.

"There's nothing new," Bartelstein said. "Right now, he's just focusing on playing for the Mavericks."

Between now and next Thursday's trade deadline, the Nets and Mavericks are exploring scenarios that still include George and a sign-and-trade with Keith Van Horn, but the Stackhouse case could make everything else irrelevant. Across the league, there's a belief that Stackhouse revealed too much with his words and the NBA plans to take a hard look and ask the obvious question: Is there strong enough evidence of a pre-existing agreement between the Mavericks and Stackhouse that deserves punishment? If they league decides there is, and refuses to let him re-sign with the Mavericks, the results could be devastating for Dallas.

No trade.

No Kidd.

It would be a steep price to pay for the loose lips of Jerry Stackhouse.

Radiosparks
02-15-2008, 05:25 AM
That's some funny shit. Loose lips sinks ships and in this case the Mavericks. Hahahahaha...

timvp
02-15-2008, 05:32 AM
:lol PWNT.

anakha
02-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Good Lord. :lmao

ata
02-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Looks like Stackhouse missed great opportunity to keep quiet.

Cuban must be on sedatives.

roycrikside
02-15-2008, 05:50 AM
This is bad for us. I wanted the trade to go through. Harris is the one guy who can guard Tony and Diop is a tough defensive center. With those two gone Dallas would've gotten way worse.

JPB
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Malign move from Stack'.
He knew the trade would hurt Dallas so he started to talk.

CIA Stack !

ata
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Dallas is done either way, chemistry is already fucked-up, + possible punishment towards Stackhouse...

Tigole Bitties
02-15-2008, 06:00 AM
This is bad for us. I wanted the trade to go through. Harris is the one guy who can guard Tony and Diop is a tough defensive center. With those two gone Dallas would've gotten way worse.

Don't worry, Dallas may match up well with the Spurs, but will still get pwned in the first round by some scrubby team.

timvp
02-15-2008, 06:05 AM
This is bad for us. I wanted the trade to go through. Harris is the one guy who can guard Tony and Diop is a tough defensive center. With those two gone Dallas would've gotten way worse.Agreed. However, if the Mavs end up not making a move, I can't imagine the chemistry would be too great on that team.

JPB
02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Not to mention the club's image.

picnroll
02-15-2008, 06:19 AM
You could se this coming from 100 miles away. Maybe Dallas can lose some picks a la Minnesota.

Kidd might beat Stupidhouse like a rented wife.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
:lmao

Dallas is really becoming a farce.

That lockerroom must be growing more and more dysfunctional every day; such growing pains!

Malign move from Stack'.
He knew the trade would hurt Dallas so he started to talk.

CIA Stack !
:lol

I must say those comments to the press, seemed so misplaced... it was like "uh, do you really want to be putting that on the record? Expressing the blatant loophole in the trade for you to remain a Mav?"

Bruno
02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
I guess that the scenario was Nets buying out Stackhouse for a small amount and Dallas re-signing him for the full MLE.

So :
- Nets would have made the deal because they knew that they get ride of most of Stackhouse's contract with a small buyout.
- Dallas would have made the deal because they knew that Stackhouse would come back latter.
- Stackhouse would have accepted Nets small buyout because he knew that a MLE contract was waiting for him in Dallas.

All the above doesn't respect at all league rules.

It raises two questions :

First, Will Dallas be sanctioned ?
Minnesota lost 3 first round picks for that kind of things. The big difference is that the above scenario hasn't happened. Mavs and to a lesser extent Nets, were ready to break rules but they didn't make it thanks to Devean George. I don't think the league will give a big sanction for something that finally hasn't happened. The league will likely give a warning to Mavs/Nets and maybe a fine and the loss of a second round pick. Ironically, George could end up as the guy who saves Dallas.

Second, Can Kidd to Mavs still happen ?
Stackhouse won't be include in a Kidd deal, it's too big risk.
George still disagree with a trade.
But the basis of the deal still exist : Harris + picks + filler for Kidd.
The problem is to find fillers that makes the deal work under the CBA and doesn't cost too much money to Mavs and Nets.
Mavs could use KVH in a S&T but the bigger is the salary they give to him the most it will cost to Cuban.
Mavs can change Stackhouse + George by Hassel + KVH (S&T at about $5M/year) to make the deal works.

picnroll
02-15-2008, 06:51 AM
They might get George to move by paying him under the table and avoid the luxury tax dollars. He's apparently not as stupid as Stackhouse.

JPB
02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
I guess that the scenario was Nets buying out Stackhouse for a small amount and Dallas re-signing him for the full MLE.

So :
- Nets would have made the deal because they knew that they get ride of most of Stackhouse's contract with a small buyout.
- Dallas would have made the deal because they knew that Stackhouse would come back latter.
- Stackhouse would have accepted Nets small buyout because he knew that a MLE contract was waiting for him in Dallas.

All the above doesn't respect at all league rules.

It raises two questions :

First, Will Dallas be sanctioned ?
Minnesota lost 3 first round picks for that kind of things. The big difference is that the above scenario hasn't happened. Mavs and to a lesser extent Nets, were ready to break rules but they didn't make it thanks to Devean George. I don't think the league will give a big sanction for something that finally hasn't happened. The league will likely give a warning to Mavs/Nets and maybe a fine and the loss of a second round pick. Ironically, George could end up as the guy who saves Dallas.

Second, Can Kidd to Mavs still happen ?
Stackhouse won't be include in a Kidd deal, it's too big risk.
George still disagree with a trade.
But the basis of the deal still exist : Harris + picks + filler for Kidd.
The problem is to find fillers that makes the deal work under the CBA and doesn't cost too much money to Mavs and Nets.
Mavs could use KVH in a S&T but the bigger is the salary they give to him the most it will cost to Cuban.
Mavs can change Stackhouse + George by Hassel + KVH (S&T at about $5M/year) to make the deal works.

If the trade still has to happen, it should necesseraly be with a KVH sign & trade now.

Bruno
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
If the trade still has to happen, it should necesseraly be with a KVH sign & trade now.

Not if George agrees to be traded.
Mavs can even keep Eddie Jones if they want it.

Mavs can trade Harris+Hassel+George+Diop+Ager+Fazekas+Barea+Juwan Howard+picks+cash for Kidd+Armstrong+Wright+Allen

It create some roster number troubles but you can easily solve them by adding teams to this trade. George can also be traded to a third team.

JPB
02-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Assuming George changes his mind, which means getting something in return for the lost of his "Bird" rights.

VaSpursFan
02-15-2008, 07:57 AM
this trade has been a comedy of errors. now, i think that George hung up the trade on purpose because of stackhouse's stupid comments. this trade reeks of all sorts of improprieties. right now, George is just the convenient scape goat.

i hope we don't see Dallas in the playoffs because they are built to beat the spurs...but I don't see the current construct of that team getting by the Suns or the Lakers now.

genomefreak13
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
bye bye kidd. Hello a retirement -stackhouse

exstatic
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
You could se this coming from 100 miles away. Maybe Dallas can lose some picks a la Minnesota.

Kidd might beat Stupidhouse like a rented wife.
:lmao

phyzik
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Anyone who thought this wasnt going to happen was kidding themselves.

nkdlunch
02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
:lmao :lmao

what a dumbass.

the Dallas Mavericks, what a disfunctional family

debo
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
where is kidd going now?

Spurminator
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
What a debacle this has become.

E20
02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I've had that feeling before when I say something that I shouldn't have and it fucks up something.

Stack is a complete buffoon.

Spurminator
02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
But hey at least the Mavs make moves.

SenorSpur
02-15-2008, 10:05 AM
For everyone who hates Mark Cuban, it's looking more and more as though HE was the one who fucked this trade up. According to Dallas sports talk radio, Cuban alone, was in negiotiations with Nets President Rod Thorn on the details and components of this trade. It looks as though HE failed to communicate the trade idea back to Stackhouse, George and the other principals involved. Therefore, he never knew about the trade clause in George's contract. Then Stackhouse started running his mouth before the trade was finalized.

MajorMike
02-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I wonder how he will spin that in his blog.

genomefreak13
02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
where is kidd going now?

he's gonna rot in new jersey hell...maybe he should be traded to the spurs instead. I'll give them Elson - no early bird rigths "I SWEAR"

E20
02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I wonder how he will spin that in his blog.
Easy, blame it on the idiot that is Jerry Stackhouse.

stxspurs
02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
classic....way to go stack. i thought it was fishy when i read the comments :lmao

im pretty sure cuban is going crazy :smchode:

adidas11
02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-stackhousesnag021508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Mavs and Nets weren't smart about this. They should have gone CIA like what the Lakers did with Gasol. :)

san antonio spurs
02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
No wonder the Mavs were ready to give up youth and depth for Kidd. They are in desperate need for some IQ and mental toughness.

The III
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Ha Ha Ha . Where are all the dumbass Mav fans now?!?

nkdlunch
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Is Mavericks front office run by a monkey?

Shank
02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
For everyone who hates Mark Cuban, it's looking more and more as though HE was the one who fucked this trade up. According to Dallas sports talk radio, Cuban alone, was in negiotiations with Nets President Rod Thorn on the details and components of this trade. It looks as though HE failed to communicate the trade idea back to Stackhouse, George and the other principals involved. Therefore, he never knew about the trade clause in George's contract. Then Stackhouse started running his mouth before the trade was finalized.

100% correct. I just posted something similar in the NBA forum about how I don't feel this screws the team if it all falls through. Cuban did the dealing and Donnie/Avery only signed off on it. They had no negotiations with Thorn as Cuban did. Avery felt they gave up too much but was willing to work with what they were getting back. Donnie became a yes-man in the whole process and could offer little. This is what Cuban does and it's why the players involved won't be as hurt as people would think if it all falls through. Sure, there will be some sore feelings and some guys will still likely need to be moved, but the disdain for Cuban was already there and, if anything, this just furthered it.

As for Stack - not defending him, because he opened his trap - but he does have a little defense in this. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he was only included to have the numbers match. (But he shouldn't have said it). And, technically, because he'll be a free agent he could sign anywhere he wants and just HAPPENS to have a preference to return to Dallas in 30 days. (But again - you don't say it).

Basically, this whole debacle turned in a huge clusterfuck. It will either have the team question themselves even more than they already do (which I know everyone here is hoping for) or it will help rally them together in what may be a "last stand" type deal for Avery (he is so sick of Cuban). They do still play well together as shown last night - I think they have no problem with Phoenix if given more healthy bodies. There will need to be a couple moves, but nothing like Cuban was giving up and hopefully nothing that mortgages the future like the Kidd one was going to do.

JPB
02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Is Mavericks front office run by a monkey?

Don't insult monkeys, please.

Shank
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Ha Ha Ha . Where are all the dumbass Mav fans now?!?

Who are you?

dmac
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Don't worry, Dallas may match up well with the Spurs, but will still get pwned in the first round by some scrubby team.
I know you're not up early! 5:00AM??

maxpower
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
In stackhouse's defense, no one ever said he was a member of Mensa.

Budkin
02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Either way the Mavs chemistry is fucked.

SenorSpur
02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
100% correct. I just posted something similar in the NBA forum about how I don't feel this screws the team if it all falls through. Cuban did the dealing and Donnie/Avery only signed off on it. They had no negotiations with Thorn as Cuban did. Avery felt they gave up too much but was willing to work with what they were getting back. Donnie became a yes-man in the whole process and could offer little. This is what Cuban does and it's why the players involved won't be as hurt as people would think if it all falls through. Sure, there will be some sore feelings and some guys will still likely need to be moved, but the disdain for Cuban was already there and, if anything, this just furthered it.

As for Stack - not defending him, because he opened his trap - but he does have a little defense in this. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he was only included to have the numbers match. (But he shouldn't have said it). And, technically, because he'll be a free agent he could sign anywhere he wants and just HAPPENS to have a preference to return to Dallas in 30 days. (But again - you don't say it).

Basically, this whole debacle turned in a huge clusterfuck. It will either have the team question themselves even more than they already do (which I know everyone here is hoping for) or it will help rally them together in what may be a "last stand" type deal for Avery (he is so sick of Cuban). They do still play well together as shown last night - I think they have no problem with Phoenix if given more healthy bodies. There will need to be a couple moves, but nothing like Cuban was giving up and hopefully nothing that mortgages the future like the Kidd one was going to do.

So are you saying that some of the players and even Avery are getting fed up wtih Cuban? If so, this is very interesting. What gives you that idea? What have you heard?

Taco
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
League to look at Stackhouse's comments

You watch, nothing will come from this :pctoss

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Fucking up a trade...
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/jerry_stackhouse-arton21194-240x240.jpg

So easy a caveman can do it.

MI21
02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Now whenever somebody says something that stuffs up an agreement or relationship between 2 parties, it can be called a "Stackhouse"...

"Man, I was going really good with this chick, but then i said something so stackhouse and she won't speak to me anymore"

Shank
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
So are you saying that some of the players and even Avery are getting fed up wtih Cuban? If so, this is very interesting. What gives you that idea? What have you heard?

Without giving up too much, Avery has been tired of Cuban for about 3 years now. He had little say in this trade proposal and felt that Cuban gave up too much after hearing the names of those involved. He was willing to work with what they were getting back, but still didn't like the trade. There has been a behind the scenes tussle between them for a while now. I'm not even sure Don/Donnie could stand him much, either, but everyone just keeps their mouths shut and puts on a smiley face and goes about their business because we all know that Cuban can be a tyrant and has the final word on everything. Avery speaks up against him behind the scenes, but really - what can he do? I fear that he'll eventually get so tired of it that he'll walk and drag the team down even further.

You ever see the two together, shaking hands and talking? Referring to the "great work" the other does for the club? Nope.

That's why I don't think the trade falling through hurts the team as much as people would think. The players are going to be loyal to Avery (somewhat, though it seems they don't follow him as well now as when he first took over) far more than they will be to Cuban. For them, it's just something else that Cuban tried to do on his own rather than letting those he pays to do the work actually do so. Very "Jerry Jones", if you will.

Shank
02-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Now whenever somebody says something that stuffs up an agreement or relationship between 2 parties, it can be called a "Stackhouse"...

"Man, I was going really good with this chick, but then i said something so stackhouse and she won't speak to me anymore"

...and then her friend turned around and DeveanGeorge'd me - right in the nuts!

Holt's Cat
02-15-2008, 11:12 AM
So maybe George blew up the trade for AJ?

san antonio spurs
02-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Spurs Fan in Exile and MI21 are putting classic stuff :lol

tav1
02-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I hope the league fines Dallas and New Jersey and penalizes each a draft pick, but that they allow the trade to go through. Or, that the Spurs find some way to sneak Diop out of the deal.

Shank
02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Or, that the Spurs find some way to sneak Diop out of the deal.

How would that even happen?

MoSpur
02-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I was wondering about his comments when I saw that interview. It was kind of weird to me.

SenorSpur
02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Without giving up too much, Avery has been tired of Cuban for about 3 years now. He had little say in this trade proposal and felt that Cuban gave up too much after hearing the names of those involved. He was willing to work with what they were getting back, but still didn't like the trade. There has been a behind the scenes tussle between them for a while now. I'm not even sure Don/Donnie could stand him much, either, but everyone just keeps their mouths shut and puts on a smiley face and goes about their business because we all know that Cuban can be a tyrant and has the final word on everything. Avery speaks up against him behind the scenes, but really - what can he do? I fear that he'll eventually get so tired of it that he'll walk and drag the team down even further.

You ever see the two together, shaking hands and talking? Referring to the "great work" the other does for the club? Nope.

That's why I don't think the trade falling through hurts the team as much as people would think. The players are going to be loyal to Avery (somewhat, though it seems they don't follow him as well now as when he first took over) far more than they will be to Cuban. For them, it's just something else that Cuban tried to do on his own rather than letting those he pays to do the work actually do so. Very "Jerry Jones", if you will.

Great stuff, man. It's not hard to imagine that, at some point over time, Cuban would start to "grate" on the nerves of his leadership staff. I never figured Cuban as the type who would delegate or trust his staff to do their jobs. You nailed it. It is very "Jerry Jones" like.

I'm curious as to how the players feel about Cuban? I figured they got along well with him because he spoils them rotten with tons of amenities, they're well-paid and Cuban is such a "jock-sniffing" groupie.

I live in the Dallas metro area and listen intently to the local sports talk. This is the first I've heard of this "behind the scenes" stuff. You must have some mole inside the Mavs organization.

atxrocker
02-15-2008, 01:10 PM
rofl @ shank downplaying the fuck out of this. yeah, if this falls through, there will be no chemistry problems whatsoever. get the fuck out of here.

waly.mg
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
The Mavs in 2006 make NBA Finals, and go ahead 2-0
In 2007 1st in the Regular season and lost in 1st Round
Now:
There are The Spurs, Suns, Hornets, Lakers, Utah and Rockets playing better, only in the West

So Mark Cuban want to die An Irk Nowitzki is going to die ringless

I want ti see the mavs guarding Amare and Shaq, without Dirk on them

mardigan
02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Sources: Stackhouse's hint at return to Big D raises eyebrows
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)
Updated: February 15, 2008, 12:21 PM ET

Devean George's refusal to consent to being traded to the New Jersey Nets is not the only hindrance to the Jason Kidd-to-Dallas deal, according to several league sources.

Although there has been no public comment from the NBA on the matter, sources say that league officials are not pleased with Jerry Stackhouse's brazen announcement that he would soon return for a Mavericks playoff run if traded to New Jersey.

"I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back,'' Stackhouse told The Associated Press on Wednesday in response to the proposed trade. "I ain't going nowhere."

Stackhouse is referring to the widely reported assumption that New Jersey would immediately buy him out of his contract, which would allow him to re-sign with another team. Stackhouse's preference is to return to Dallas, but according to league rules he'd have to wait at least 30 days.

The 30-day rule was added to the league's collective bargaining agreement as a response to a trade between Boston and Atlanta in 2005. In that deal, Boston sent Gary Payton to Atlanta to reacquire Antoine Walker with the understanding that the Hawks would immediately waive Payton, who then re-signed with Boston three days later.

The league frowned on this move, and instituted the 30-day rule. By flouting the rule so publicly, Stackhouse may have given the league no choice but to eliminate him from the deal or prevent the Mavericks from re-signing him.

"If Stackhouse had kept quiet, the league wouldn't have been able to prove anything,'' one Western Conference executive said. "Now, it's obvious that he talked to Mark Cuban about coming back to the Mavericks.''

One executive said the league is looking into the matter and could very well block Stackhouse from being involved in the trade. That could be a deal-breaker, because Cuban definitely wants Stackhouse back.

"Obviously, George needs to give his consent for the deal to happen, but the Stackhouse thing could now be a bigger problem than George,'' a person with knowledge of the teams' trade negotiations said.

Another executive said team owners have been calling commissioner David Stern to complain about the Stackhouse part of the deal and that several GMs would be incensed if he allows the trade to go through with Stackhouse in it.

"Every GM from a potential playoff team in the Western Conference is complaining about this,'' the executive said. "If the league allows this trade to go through, it'll have a major credibility issue on its hands. Our collective bargaining agreement's not worth anything if this goes through.''

Meanwhile, George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that George would consider the trade if it would improve his situation.

"If he felt like his playing opportunity would be so much better in New Jersey than Dallas [he would consider it,]" Bartelstein said Friday morning. "He is starting in Dallas for a championship contender. New Jersey is rebuilding. He would have to give up his Larry Bird [free agent rights.] It has nothing to do with the Nets or not wanting to go to New Jersey."

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine. Andrew Marchand also contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3247183

Shank
02-15-2008, 01:54 PM
rofl @ shank downplaying the fuck out of this. yeah, if this falls through, there will be no chemistry problems whatsoever. get the fuck out of here.

Then explain what exactly happens with these "chemistry" issues. Who gets hurt? Devin Harris is the one that this would largely effect, but will likely come out with a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth to the team. He loves playing in Dallas. Diop? Seriously? What's he going to do? He's a backup center and isn't exactly a vocal leader in the locker room. Stackhouse? Shit - he wasn't planning on going anywhere anyway. And Devean George - if he stays, then it's up to Avery to decide how to use him. If he helps the team win games, then he'll play. If he can't, then he'll rot at the end of the bench and Avery will play guys (ie - Jones/Hassell) that can take his place.

I'm telling you that the divide between the players/Avery and Cuban was already there and that because this trade was Cuban's baby, he'll be the one that suffers most from the downfall. The players trust Avery and love playing for him. They'll come out of this fine.

The III
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Who are you?
I'm a longtime Spur fan. Why?

stxspurs
02-15-2008, 02:05 PM
spurs fan in exile.........best post today

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM

:lol

MajicMan
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
That's what Marc Cuban gets for talking smack about the Lakers and this trade committee bullshit. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

hsxvvd
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
This sort of stuff is very Spurs like, bending the rules (D-League) etc, but I guess other teams just aren't smart enough to pull it off. Same thing has happened in the past with Gary Payton in Boston and his trade to Atlanta I think. Even Payton was able to keep his mouth shut that time.

41times
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
The GM's can complain all they want. There is nothing the league can do because 30 days after the buyout Stack can sign with any team he wants. period. It his choice.

Stack just bought a house here in Dallas so he is not giong to sign elsewhere. Unless there is some team that wants to "over pay him"..

Whose to say that after 30 days the Rockets, who need some help to make it won't offer him a big salary and he could keep his home up here. Hey maybe the Spurs would offer him a deal? He's better than Finley!

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Now ESPN is saying the league has officially told Dallas that Stack isn't going to be part of the deal. Thanks to BillsCarnage for putting this up in the NBA forum.

lefty
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Cia Pop :hat :hat

I guess the " Trade Commitee " is shaping up :lmao

ehz33satx
02-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Stack can sign with any team he wants. period. It his choice. Hey maybe the Spurs would offer him a deal? He's better than Finley!

F*CK Stackhouse.

Bruno
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Now ESPN is saying the league has officially told Dallas that Stack isn't going to be part of the deal.

It's quite logical.
Mavs and Nets were obviously in cheating mode.

It's laughable to see all the amateurism around this trade.
Mavs haven't asked George his agreement and they haven't said to Stackhouse to STFU.

BTW, even if Stackhouse hasn't said something, I think that the league wouldn't have allowed him to return to Mavs.

Solid D
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Prearrangement http://www.beckmannfuneralhome.com/images/1casket-rock_small.jpg
For Your Loss

R.I.P Dallas

T Park
02-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey maybe the Spurs would offer him a deal? He's better than Finley!

pfft
whatever.

:lol @ Dallas

You tried to cheat and got caught.

Pwnt.

pad300
02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Prearrangement http://www.beckmannfuneralhome.com/images/1casket-rock_small.jpg
For Your Loss

R.I.P Dallas

I hate to point this out, cause the general laugh at Dallas vibe is pretty funny, but didn't we want this trade to go through... I thought the consensus was that this trade made our match up against Dallas better. Why are we not cursing Stack for an idiot?

nkdlunch
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
I hate to point this out, cause the general laugh at Dallas vibe is pretty funny, but didn't we want this trade to go through... I thought the consensus was that this trade made our match up against Dallas better. Why are we not cursing Stack for an idiot?

yes I wanted this trade to go down. no Diop + Harris is better for Spurs. But oh well, either way Dallas is still fucked.

timmy21_4rings
02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
NBA should bring the rule (similar to waiving players) that says the players that are traded should not come back to the same team that traded him for that season at least.

Currently, if a player is waived (just like Finley), they can not sign with the team that waived them until their original contract term is complete.

timmy21_4rings
02-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I do not see a future for Devean George in Dallas.. I do not know why wants to stick around..Any revenge or under the table deal with Cuban to willingly block this trade. I do not have any idea. In any case it does not show Devean in good lights and he is going to suffer for this when he hit the free agency this summer. Is he looking for any additional (illegal) money from Cuban?

SenorSpur
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I do not see a future for Devean George in Dallas.. I do not know why wants to stick around..Any revenge or under the table deal with Cuban to willingly block this trade. I do not have any idea. In any case it does not show Devean in good lights and he is going to suffer for this when he hit the free agency this summer. Is he looking for any additional (illegal) money from Cuban?

I can understand him wanted to protect his own interests, but it's not as though he's gonna command big bucks in the summer free agent market. I expect now he's cast himself into great disfavor with Mavs ownership and fans.

Solid D
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM

It's not really any news flash that Stack is a knucklehead. Although I would be happy with the trade, the chemistry is already whack, now....and that's why I say R.I.P.

The Spurs have so many other teams to be concerned with besides the Mavs this year. It's a minefield.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Why that trade might have helped us out, I think the real value of this has been to bring something to talk about beyond Marcus and Casper bitching at each other over trade ideas.

When George put the brakes on it there was plenty of cursing of him, and rightfully so. But the way this has snowballed into such a fiasco is worth it.

picnroll
02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Can't wait for the next Cuban blog about preserving the league's integrity. :rollin

fyatuk
02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
NBA should bring the rule (similar to waiving players) that says the players that are traded should not come back to the same team that traded him for that season at least.

Currently, if a player is waived (just like Finley), they can not sign with the team that waived them until their original contract term is complete.

That was specifically the one-time amnesty clause. If a team waives a player, there's no problem with re-signing them immediately. If a team trades a player and they get waived, they have to wait 30 days before singing with the original team again.

lefty
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Dallas Mavs = New England Patriots

Shank
02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Dallas Mavs = New England Patriots

Really? Where are our trophies? Do we get those retroactively?

Harry Callahan
02-15-2008, 06:29 PM
None of them, with the exception of Dirk, has the ability to keep the pie hole shut. Bunch of jerks anyway. Expecially the owner with the Frankenstein haircut.

lefty
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Really? Where are our trophies? Do we get those retroactively?

Shit; I forgot about the trophies.

Then, Pats >>>> Mavs

Cherry
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
:lmao :rollin :lol

Full version: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080214&sportCat=nba

Cuban: Is this trade going to be awesome or what, dawgs? Jason Kidd, baby!

Nelson: Yeah, about that. Devean is invoking his no-trade clause. The deal is dead.

Cuban: WHAT?!

[Cuban stops dancing for a moment. And then suddenly begins dancing the paso doble -- an angry, aggressive dance.]

George: Yeah. Sorry, Mr. Cuban. But I want to stay here.

Agloco
02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Cuban = No ethics

Louie Vega
02-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I've always said that Stackhouse is the dumbest motherfucker in the NBA. Just look at his dumbass!!!

m33p0
02-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Stackhouse: definite loudmouth and overall jerk.

m33p0
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Can't wait for the next Cuban blog about preserving the league's integrity. :rollin
rofl