PDA

View Full Version : Can Amare make a run at the MVP?

ApolloCreed
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Hollinger has him second in his PER and he's been on a tear the last couple of weeks. If the Suns win the conference by a few games, does Amare have a shot?

Also, who is the front runner now?

I'd say its GOT to be Chris Paul. The Celtics' performance without KG has hurt his chances, yes?

ApolloCreed
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
In Amare's last five games, he's averaging 29, 11.8 and 2.2 blocks.

This is on 56% shooting and 90% from the line.

JMarkJohns
02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
He's on a tear, but in his last five games, his team is just 3-2 and two of those wins came against lesser teams and the third win came against a depleted Mavs squad.

I think so long as Nash is one the team, he'll always be the second most valuable player on the Suns. If you're not the MVP of your own team, then you can't be the MVP of the League.

He's a great player and I love seeing his rebounding and blocks go up, but I just don't see it.

ancestron
02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
He should be considered, but I don't think he'll get it. Chris Paul is probably just a little bit more deserving.

btw it sucks that Russian dude killed you. It was just an exhibition for chrissakes!

ApolloCreed
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I wonder if his numbers will go down or up after Shaq arrives.

JMarkJohns
Yeah... Paul would be my choice as well. He has the Hornets playing as good as anyone. My second would be a toss up twixt Garnett and Kobe.

ApolloCreed
He should be considered, but I don't think he'll get it. Chris Paul is probably just a little bit more deserving.

btw it sucks that Russian dude killed you. It was just an exhibition for chrissakes!

I haunt current athletes who don't play with "eye of the tiger".

atxrocker
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
amare is a fucking beast!

baseline bum
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I think so long as Nash is one the team, he'll always be the second most valuable player on the Suns. If you're not the MVP of your own team, then you can't be the MVP of the League.

WTF are you talking about? Steve Nash did it twice.
-- Regards, Shawn Marion

JMarkJohns
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
That's funny. I hope you're not being serious. It would ruin the joke. :)

Xylus
02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bFoDCZyhMc

Yikes!

fyatuk
02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
No chance.

Just like Manu and Tony don't have a chance on the Spurs.

Amare will be viewed as a second fiddle to Nash.

ApolloCreed
02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
WTF are you talking about? Steve Nash did it twice.
-- Regards, Shawn Marion

:lol

remingtonbo2001
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
He'd need to pick up the D at this point in the year.

I wouldn't quite say it's too late, but he'd definitely have to continue his dominance on the offense end, plus make a significant change defensively. With Shaq coming aboard, that would be incredibly difficult to do. Plus, Shaq will draw some attention away from Amare. That wouldn't help his chance for MVP, however, it does bring them closer to contending for a championship.

Medvedenko
02-15-2008, 05:22 PM
MVP of what....alley oop dunks and push ups.....

mavsfan1000
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I wonder if his numbers will go down or up after Shaq arrives.
It's going down. Shaq will clog the paint making less room for Nash's passes to Amare.

SenorSpur
02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
He's an awful rebounder. Great player, but terrible defender. His defense will likely get worse as he'll depend more on Shaq to do the bulk of the rebounding and heavy lifting.

ratm1221
02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Amare for MVP? :lol

He is just about the dumbest player as far as IQ goes on the court. Shawn Bradley had more freaking basketball smarts than that guy.

What a joke. :rolleyes

ratm1221
02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.geocities.com/tzovas/gallery/mcgrady.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Can Amare..make any free throws at the end of games? Didn't he miss free throws against the Spurs and the Warriors?
He's got a long ways to go, to be considered MVP material..regardless of his elevated stats this year due to being healthier.
He's too dumb to be a leader of the team, for all his athleticism, he still has some weaknesses in his game for his body and size. There might be hope for him though, Shaq started out pretty much a basketball doofus, but he got smart enough on the court to become his dominant self.

Amare's probably half as smart as Shaq though; so good luck with Shaq trying to make him better. :lol

remingtonbo2001
02-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Amare for MVP? :lol

He is about the dumbest player as far as IQ goes on the court.

If you gave Fransico Elson the chance, you'd be proven wrong.

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Amare's a nice player, and I'd love his numbers on my team....but I don't think I could ever think of him as an MVP type player.

Cry Havoc
02-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Amare plays no defense and doesn't make his teammates better. His stats are incredibly inflated because of the Suns style of play, and there are a ton of quality PFs that could put up huge numbers with Nash feeding them.

He routinely takes plays off and doesn't have the attitude of a true teammate.

Hemotivo
02-16-2008, 03:51 PM
he could be easily Finals MVP

not reg.season mvp

Allanon
02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Like Hemotivo says, players like Amare, Tony Parker, Manu can be Finals MVP but won't ever get season MVPs because they play 2nd fiddle to Nash and Duncan.

That said, Kobe I think will be MVP this year...simply because he has never gotten it before and the Lakers will probably win 55-60 games this year. LeBron and Chris Paul are right there but because they still have their career and plenty of chances ahead of them, they'll lose votes.

nkdlunch
02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Amare would not even make Allstar without Steve Nash

SAGambler
02-16-2008, 05:25 PM
He's on a tear, but in his last five games, his team is just 3-2 and two of those wins came against lesser teams and the third win came against a depleted Mavs squad.

He's a great player and I love seeing his rebounding and blocks go up, but I just don't see it.

Exactly.. The MVP is supposed to be the guy that is most valuable to his team. Sit Nash out and the Suns would fold like a lawn chair.

Besides, I think Garnett has already been picked long ago to win it this year.