PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who's fault is the Mavs' trade problems?

Cry Havoc
02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Also use this thread to predict if they are better or worse off now that the trade appears to not be happening, and how far you predict them to go in the playoffs as they are now.

*edit* Ugh. how about we move this thread to the general section, since that's where I was attempting to post it? Thanks. :|

Tippecanoe
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
devean george. he agrees, it woulda been a done deal

MajicMan
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
devean george. he agrees, it woulda been a done deal
Wrong, it's that dumb dick head owner of theirs Marc Cuban. He feels the need to jump on this "committee bandwagon" yet he's caught doing the same things himself. Only thing is Lakers did their trade legitimately. Serves him right also for trying to sue Don Nelson because his team choked. Fuck you Marc Cuban. You guys are the next Chicago Bulls if this trade doesn't go through.

nkdlunch
02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
All of the above

50 cent
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Cuban for being the biggest douchbag in the history of douches. That idiot doesn't even understand collusions and tampering. This isn't a fantasy league.

urunobili
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
management fault no doubt! they should have spoken with the players before pulling the trigger.
My personal feel... the trade will never happen. Chemistry destroyer that will be paid on the playoffs. AJ fired.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't know where the blame lies, but it's fucking funny :lmao

BonnerDynasty
02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
It's hilarious, but I still do not know if it is good or bad for the trade to go through so that is kinda frustrating.

Spursofthemoment
02-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I think it is Cuban's fault no matter which problem you look at. Did he think Devean George and his manager were both too dumb to know what his contract said? And it is a dumb and dirty idea to give a player to another team for such a short period of time and then take him back. Why include him in the trade at all.

New Jersey didn't think that through at all.

mikejones99
02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
next catagory, nba

picnroll
02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Pop's trade committee

lonestr
02-15-2008, 07:39 PM
"I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back,'' Stackhouse told The Associated Press on Wednesday in response to the proposed trade. "I ain't going nowhere."

turns out that this comment by the caveman puts another glitch to the trade. Mas puto!

exstatic
02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
It was originally George, but then became Stackhouse. Cuban has said they can't lose Stack permanently, and the NBA seems set to not include him in this trade now, after his stupid interviews. It's totally dead now. With the George issue, they could have always used dead salary by including whatshisretiredface.

Allanon
02-15-2008, 08:07 PM
It's funny blaming it on George but we all probably would have done the same thing. Truth is he's looking at a huge payday by holding out. I mean if you had your billionaire boss bent over the barrel, wouldn't you? "Pay me a few $mil extra and I'll let you have your trade."

His excuse about finally being a starter now is hilarious though...loved how the TNT crew ripped him a new one last night.

Stackhouse running off his mouth really killed this deal though.

genomefreak13
02-15-2008, 11:15 PM
It's stackhouse's fault. His big mouth might have finally pulled the plug on this trade. The NBA is now in thorough scrutiny of all that's happening in Dallas and New Jersey. One small sign of irregularity and the whole deal will crash down.

I woudn't entirely blame it on Cuban, since as a GM he needs to make decisions - even if that decision is unpopular. I wouldn't think that he never consulted the rule book on this, but definitely, he never consulted george about it. There's where the rub lays.

I wouldn't blame it on george either. He has every right to protect himself on this deal. Not everyone has a messiah complex -and just sacrifice their well-being for a franchise that never showed them any love, support nor playing time. If I was George, I'd do the same thing.

Good luck to those conspiring morons...I know they will get their dues.

MrChug
02-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm gonna say that if you're the jackass the 'HISTORICALLY' goes down for fucking up the trade then you have to get the vote.

But yes...Cuban IS the ultimate, non-management-skill-tool.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I'll go with 'I smell a rat' option. The picture that Mavs fans seem to be painting is that Cuban did this deal Lee Harvey Oswald style-alone and by himself in Dallas. Another detail in that picture is that AJ thinks Cuban is a prick and this kind of grandstanding personnel move happening without his input would really piss him off.

Devon George (who I believe said something to the effect of "I'm willing to be the bad guy here") is then punished for his selfish act by AJ giving him the start and apparently a green light to shoot (he was 0-11 against the Blazers the night the trade was shut down). I know there were injuries, but still. I can conceive of a scenario in which AJ dislikes the trade, grabs George and says he'll get the minutes to showcase himself in a contract year if he's willing to be the most hated man in Dallas for a few days.

I do not however think that Stack was in on this. He is just stupid.

lefty
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
It's the Spurs' fault........ :elephant

They made the Mavs panic; they have rushed into this trade attempt without giving attention to suched details.

Plus, you can't forget Pop's trade commitee...

It has worked on the Suns too :D

himat
02-15-2008, 11:41 PM
All of the above

:toast You can never say a big problem is only one person's fault.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I think Cuban read Spurstalk, realised that losing Harris, Diop and Stackhouse would make the Mavs Spurs bunnies, got cold feet, then told Stack to say what he did so as to kill the deal without making Cuban himself look bad. But then that gives far too much credit to Mark Cuban! :lmao

Findog
02-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Cuban has said they can't lose Stack permanently, and the NBA seems set to not include him in this trade now, after his stupid interviews.

What gives you that idea?

League spokesman Tim Frank said the league may look into the situation, but added there is no truth to reports that the NBA has decided to block Stackhouse’s return to the Mavericks in such a trade.

Findog
02-16-2008, 12:39 AM
It's George and George alone:

http://dallasbasketballdotcom.yuku.com/topic/9753/t/UPDATE-on-Kidd-trade-Whispers-and-takes.html

David Lord is a guy who co-runs DallasBasketball.com, whose server bills are paid by Mark Cuban. He knows what he's talking about:

Let me preface this by offering my personal reaction to the Kidd-Harris trade happening.

Frankly, as a fan who wants the Mavs to do well, I flip-flop by the hour on whether I like it or not. On one hand, I watch games and know there is a bit of overreaction to the current play, because Harris and others aren't playing. All season, the team has experimented and done all sorts of weird "saving ourselves for the playoffs" approaches to games so far, and some of that lack of focus has to be causing the up-and-down results. I don't like them leaving themselves thin at center (by trading Diop) and even though they are low picks, I really don't like including two picks in the deal. And I have liked the approach of being able to improve year by year - and Harris will certainly improve more year-by-year than Kidd will. But on the other hand, I really like the idea of having a floor general. The fact that other stars see Kidd as a true difference-maker, and even moreso after playing with him in the summer, is relevant. And therer does seem to be a feeling that this team has plateaued to a degree - and we don't know if that plateau is at "good enough to win a title" or "good enough to come close but too flawed to get there." Of course, we don't know if Kidd would be enough to raise that ceiling, if one exists.

So all that having been said, I'll love-hate the outcome here no matter what it is. I really don't think we'll know what we have with EITHER player until we see a month of very focused play, plus a playoff run. Heck who knows, maybe there's a title with EITHER choice. Maybe there's a title with NEITHER. So I don't have a dog in the fight. You can debate the merits, but I just don't know which I like most. It's not a no-brainer, that's for certain.

SO WITH THAT BACKDROP, LET ME ADD A FEW ITEMS TO YOUR CONVERSATIONAL MIX.

1. Regarding the idea that the Mavs could have avoided all the mess, I've learned from the inside enough to believe strongly that the Mavs did their due diligence all the way. I even have the particulars of who told him, approx when in the process he was talked with, and so on, and it comes from a source who would know and I can trust. The Mavs are allowing that perception of some sort of sloppiness to languish in the public perception for now as they try to patch this back together, but in time the facts will come out. This is purely a case of a player who got cold feet at the last minute. [Note: Regardless of what you hear shallow thinkers like Derek Harper or Dale Hansen say, there is absolutely no current financial incentive for George to hold up the deal. NONE. They can't offer him a bonus, a raise, or an extension. He's not eligible for any of those.]

2. The Mavs esp Cuban are frustrated regarding the way this has played out, but there isn't any personal animosity at all towards Devean George. On the other hand, I think there will be a concerted effort - in part BECAUSE they like him - to communicate to him how this trade should be one for him to welcome, because of how deep he's going to be buried on the bench once you have Kidd or Harris at PG, JHo-Bass consuming all the minutes at SF, and Jones-Terry in front of him for SG minutes.

3. I'm not convinced that the Stack-boomerang possibility has been nixed by the league, regardless of what you are hearing. If there isn't a written side agreement, it looks legal to me. Obviously the league has the final say, but one thing we can trust is that there was not a written side agreement.

4. But regardless of what the deal is with Stack, I believe very much a Kidd deal WILL get done in some form or another. For some time I've had some very reliable contacts close to the NJ hierarchy, and from what I'm hearing my sense is they are too invested in moving Kidd to go back. They NEED to move Kidd pronto, and lacking alternative suitors, they NEED to get Harris in return. The rest of the pieces are relatively unimportant. As a result, even with the George-Stack-contract hassles that seem insurmountable, I'd still give it far more than a 50% chance of happening. The Nets HAVE TO do a deal, and in my estimation they'll find a way. [Note: Everybody (Stern, Cuban, Thorn, agents) will be in NO starting today, for the All-Star break. Face-to-face talks enhance chances of deals.]

5. My opinion has been and continues to be that the Mavs have the upper hand in this situation, and need to start acting like it. As snags have arisen, by appearances the Nets keep telling Cuban to bend over farther. I think "No" is an important tool in his toolkit he needs to consider. If the Nets desperately need the deal to happen, and they do, THEY need to be the ones working harder and adding more when impediments arise, not the Mavs. At the end of the day, they are trying to sell a $20M contract that few can handle even if they wanted to. There should be some degree of bargain pricing here, and Harris-Diop-cash-#1-#1-expirings is an expensive package for a well-past-30 PG. That's no bargain.

You guys can return to your ill-informed jokes now. It is a Spurs forum, after all...

Louie Vega
02-16-2008, 12:42 AM
There will be alot of hurt ego's on that Mavs team! For their sake I hope it happens. Fuck the mavs! :hat

LavaLamp
02-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Mavs management fault, they should've made sure everyone involved (esp. players with power to stop the trade) was on the same page before pulling the trigger. And they should've given Stack talking points for the media about their trade-waive-re-sign plans for him.

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I didn't read any of that. All I know is Cubano was throwing stones and that shit bounced right back and hit him in the face. Wasn't he yappin off bout the Lakers recently? It's not George, it's Dallas management not crossing their t's and dotting their i's. It's this dipshit's fault...

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Mark%20Cuban%20on%20stage.jpg

Findog
02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Mavs management fault, they should've made sure everyone involved (esp. players with power to stop the trade) was on the same page before pulling the trigger.

They did, and then George and his agent got cold feet. They're not idiots, you may not like them, but they knew about George's early Bird rights.

Findog
02-16-2008, 12:49 AM
I didn't read any of that.

So then why the fuck are you commenting on something you know nothing about?

All I know is Cubano was throwing stones and that shit bounced right back and hit him in the face. Wasn't he yappin off bout the Lakers recently? It's not George, it's Dallas management not crossing their t's and dotting their i's. It's this dipshit's fault...

RTFA

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
So then why the fuck are you commenting on something you know nothing about?

RTFA
How is it Devon George's fault? He's just a player. They should have had plan B. Stackhouse was also shooting his mouth off and now is excluded from any trade. Devon is the last person to blame. I have enough common sense not to read that shit.

Findog
02-16-2008, 12:59 AM
How is it Devon George's fault? He's just a player.

I'll take "He and his agent blocked the trade" for $200, Alex.

They should have had plan B. Stackhouse was also shooting his mouth off and now is excluded from any trade.

Is he?

League spokesman Tim Frank said the league may look into the situation, but added there is no truth to reports that the NBA has decided to block Stackhouse’s return to the Mavericks in such a trade.

Devon is the last person to blame. I have enough common sense not to read that shit.

Lakers rule! Showtime, baby! Get back in the shallow pool with all the other kiddies and let the grownups talk now.

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I'll take "He and his agent blocked the trade" for $200, Alex.

Is he?

Lakers rule! Showtime, baby! Get back in the shallow pool with all the other kiddies and let the grownups talk now.
No, they didn't block any trade. Management makes trades. They used the wrong players. Mainly George and they should have had a backup plan. George can't block any trade. They can either agree or disagree.

According to one league source, the NBA has already made one of the teams aware of its position.

"The league has taken Stackhouse out of the deal," the source said. "They said, 'He can be in the trade, but he can't go back to Dallas after that.' "

"If Stackhouse had kept quiet, the league would not have been able to prove anything," a Western Conference executive said.

The executive added that team owners have been calling commissioner David Stern to complain about the Stackhouse part of the deal, and that several GMs would have been incensed if he had allowed the trade -- and subsequent return of Stackhouse to Dallas -- to go through.

Whatever Homer.....Or is it Alex?

Findog
02-16-2008, 01:08 AM
If you'd bothered to read the article, you'd know that they ran the trade by Devean and he said nothing, then as the papers were submitted to the league, he changed his mind. And let's go with the word of a pissy rival gm over somebody from the league's office. Thanks for playing MagicMan, keep posting if you want to keep embarrassing yourself.

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 01:32 AM
If you'd bothered to read the article, you'd know that they ran the trade by Devean and he said nothing, then as the papers were submitted to the league, he changed his mind. And let's go with the word of a pissy rival gm over somebody from the league's office. Thanks for playing MagicMan, keep posting if you want to keep embarrassing yourself.
Well if he said nothing why did they include him then? Again, players don't make decisions for the franchise, the franchise does. Pissy rival GM's? Most think Dallas is giving up way too much. Of course until they found out about all the under the table deals that were going on. Thanks for playing Alex but nobody is that naive to believe Devon is to blame here. It's your fuckface Dancing With The Stars file a law suit because the Mavs choked owner the one to blame.

Findog
02-16-2008, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=MajicMan]Well if he said nothing why did they include him then?

Are you a troll or that fucking stupid? RTFA. Are you illiterate?

Most think Dallas is giving up way too much.

I agree but that's another discussion.

It's your fuckface Dancing With The Stars file a law suit because the Mavs choked owner the one to blame.

Lakers rule! Kobe #1! Woohoo!

If you want to be taken seriously or garner any respect at all, you'd better know what you're talking about. You clearly don't.

Trainwreck2100
02-16-2008, 01:48 AM
If George ok'd the trade then Stack would have been a Net before the L said he couldn't go back to the Mavs , but by that time the trade would have gone through

m33p0
02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
george asked to be traded a few weeks ago, right? what makes him think he'll be given more than what he deserves anyway?

Cry Havoc
02-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow, it's amazing to see how many people responded, and how evenly the blame appears to be distributed.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
This just proves that Cuban still has a lot to learn from Jerry West when it comes to collusion.