PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: Interview

Manu20
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
• January, 6, 2005

« A chance to be an All-Star »

Tony, following a bump against Sacramento, you bounced back by smashing the Lakers,100-83.

This particular game was not fun at all. We quickly had a 30 points lead in the second quarter. Bruce Bowen was ‘el fuego,’(on fire) beating his record for points scored with 24 units. On top of that, he played very strong on the defense against Kobe Bryant. He was very impressive.

How would you rate this Lakers’ team ?

Their game is not that great. Kobe is the only one attempting some shots and to create the game; hence he finished extremely tired. When you have Bruce Bowen in your face all game long, it does not help your case either. Bryant ended up with 5/16 shooting. The biggest issue is that their entire game revolves around Kobe. I defended on Atkins and in the 26 minutes he played, he took only two shots. There is a problem with this team.

You are light years away from such problems as once again Pop took the liberty to rotate the line up.

As always, I played some 30 minutes and I did not play the fourth quarter. I am kind of tired to rest! (Laughs). In the end, I am extremely happy for Brent Barry. He is coming back strong. I have the feeling he got his confidence back in the past couple of games. He lit up the board with his 3 pointers against the Lakers with a very good 4/7. Brent was signed by the Spurs to increase our 3 points range percentage, in order to enable Tim Duncan to limit the double coverage on him.

Beno Udrih was voted rookie of the month in the Western conference. What is your role with him ?

To start, things are great with him. With Beno we’ve known each other since we were sixteen. We have played against one another at the European Junior Championships and I believe that France won in the first round. I think I have played five or six team against him with our national team. When Beno arrived in San Antonio, I did my best to simplify things for him. We are the same age and have somewhat the same basketball history and this is the reason why we often speak together. I am happy that he is succeeding because a lot of people thought he was too slow and that he would not make is. He has been prooving them wrong since the beginning of the season.

Tony, we are a mere month away from the All-Star Game. What are you chances to play there ?

If I did not have such a so-so beginning of the season I would say that the All-Star Game was in my pocket. The first twelve games hurt me a lot. As of today, with the series I just had, I have a chance to be in Denver. As Steve Nash is the league's leader in assist, it is clear that the coaches will select him. The last invite shall be chosen between Sam Cassel, Mike Bibby and myself. As we all have the same types of stats, I really have no idea on what criteria they will base their selection upon.

http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=33

Jimcs50
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
typical Spur, he is not jealous of his teammate's successes, and he does not mind if he sits when a hot player is getting to stay in in the 4th Q.

kudos to TP.

1Parker1
01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Even though I love Tony, his last answer sounded a little cocky. He should be a little more guarded with his frank answers during interviews.

xcoriate
01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Meh, Tony has a little cockiness, but is pales in comparison to other players in the league.

tekdragon
01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
fuck that. all athletes are guarded during interviews...that's why athlete interviews suck.

Give me a guy like Barkley, Shaq, hell, even Brent Barry who will tell you what's on their mind...it makes for much more compelling talk. Even Terrell Owens, who I don't like, makes a great interview because he's not afraid to just say some shit.

Be cocky, be stupid, be offensive.

Just don't give me the cliche.

Manu20
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
How would you rate this Lakers’ team ?

Their game is not that great. Kobe is the only one attempting some shots and to create the game; hence he finished extremely tired. When you have Bruce Bowen in your face all game long, it does not help your case either. Bryant ended up with 5/16 shooting. The biggest issue is that their entire game revolves around Kobe. I defended on Atkins and in the 26 minutes he played, he took only two shots. There is a problem with this team.

How do you like that for honesty :lol
Just say it Tony the lakers suck!!!!!

Frenchise player
01-06-2005, 03:40 PM
His dream is to be in the all-star game and I think it is a quality to be honest.
The most important is that he keeps thinking first to the team as he shows last game against Lakers.

He understood really soon that his teamates were hot and instead of shooting to have his points and grow his numbers to be select in the All-star he played like a real point-guard, pentrating and giving nice pass to bowen, Barry and the others, he finished with ten assists but it could really have been more.

He just shoot four times, he gives more importance to his team rather than his own interest, that shows how valuable he is for the spurs and that he is a good guy, like I think all spur's players and that is truly amazing considering some other teams in this league. The credit has to be given to Pop and Bufford.

chungoman
01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
If I did not have such a so-so beginning of the season I would say that the All-Star Game was in my pocket.

:rolleyes

1Parker1
01-06-2005, 03:53 PM
^^^Exactly! Thank you for being the only one who understood my post !

boutons
01-06-2005, 03:56 PM
"in my pocket."

yeah, yeah, a little cocky, and not really typical, imo. But a lot of assholes wouldn't even have mentioned the "so-so" part, preferring an "ah wuz robbed" attidude.

(btw, Starbury said in an interview in the past few days that he was the best PG in the NBA)

Tony has a huge disadvantage in that he's seen to be only French, and a lot of USA people won't vote for him for that reason.

If only the whole team believed in itself a strongly as Tony believes in himself. They should, and I think they will, ideally proving their toughness during the Rodeo road trip, if not by the end of these games in Jan:

Sat 15 @ Houston
Fri 21 @ Phoenix
Sun 23 @ Sacramento
Mon 31 @ Seattle

If only Tony could tranfuse some his self-confidence into Rasho ...

xcoriate
01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
His been on fire as of late, the begining of the season was so-so.

He merely states the facts, i don't know about in his pocket, but you can't fault him for being confident

exstatic
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Even though I love Tony, his last answer sounded a little cocky. He should be a little more guarded with his frank answers during interviews.

This is obviously a translated interview, judging by the referral of 'units' instead of 'points' in the first paragraph. Ever heard of things being lost in translation?

whottt
01-06-2005, 04:29 PM
1Parker, remember English is Tony's second language...the fact that he is using colloquial English is pretty impressive in and of itself, it also probably means that he is using that expression for lack of a better one, I'd be willing to bet he probably doesn't mean it the way most Americans would mean it...

And if he is a little cocky, big deal, a point guard has to be a little cocky, he has to have confidence because he plays the most difficult position in the NBA to master...a young PG especially has to be cocky.

If Tony is cocky, it's probably that cockiness that gives him the ability to be reamed by Pop on the sideline and not take it personally or get mentally destroyed.

Tony's a good kid, he took less money to be here, he has a lot of responsibility on this team at a young age, he gets it from the head coach probably more than any guy on the team....if he's a little cocky so what, he's still not cocky in the negative way, like say Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and even Shaq are...and IMO it helps him do his job better.

I want a confident PG and one who thinks he is the total shit...as long as they don't go overboard with it...
I don't want Hedo running the PG spot on this team.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2005, 04:53 PM
This is obviously a translated interview, judging by the referral of 'units' instead of 'points' in the first paragraph. Ever heard of things being lost in translation?

That's what I was going to say.

boutons
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
When I read Tony's English, I can see the French idioms leaking through sometimes, aka, Franglais, rather than using the best English idiom.

But if Tony's original was "... dans la poche" , the English idiom would be "in the bag", "wrapped up", "a done thing". hard to say without seeing the oringinal Francais.

whottt
01-06-2005, 05:50 PM
". hard to say without seeing the oringinal Francais.

The interview from the French portion of Tony's site:
http://www.tp9.net/fr/itw.php?id=40

Excstatic is right, it was translated from French. And you guessed the original phrase correctly as well...Parker did say "dans la poche".

Should we hang him today or tomorrow?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
i wonder if, D,antoni coaches the allstar game, if tony's chances to get selected will go up, considering how well he played against the suns?

boutons
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
"Should we hang him today or tomorrow?"

guillotine

Elo
01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Well done, boutons! “In the bag” would be more appropriate. The translation is French infected and doesn’t do Tony any justice. As for his cockiness, that ‘s probably what’s helping him to keep a cool head when Pop “goes Serbian” . I also see it as a testimony of his competitive mindset.

“Guillotine”? Hmmm not yet. He’s showing an unselfish attitude during interviews, praising his teammates (see comments about Beno). Actually, he’s also doing a great PR job for Manu in France!

Dre_7
01-07-2005, 12:57 AM
I dont see that phranse (in context) as being cocky. I think its TRUE. The way hes been playing latley, if he had started out like that, an All-star game would be in the bag.

Cockyness would be TP saying he deserves an all-star even though he played so-so in the beggining of the season. TP is not saying that. Hes saying that if he didnt play so-so he would be an all-star. I think it is truth, not cockyness, IMO.

Dre_7
01-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Now, would my last sentence be considered redundent???