PDA

View Full Version : Nets president Thorn says team, Stackhouse had no previous arrangement

crc21209
02-16-2008, 01:27 AM
NEW ORLEANS -- Nets president Rod Thorn said Friday he has no side deal with Mavericks swingman Jerry Stackhouse, an illegal arrangement that could put a potential Jason Kidd-to-Dallas trade in jeopardy.

The Nets thought they had worked out a deal with the Mavericks on Wednesday that would have sent Kidd to Dallas, but the trade is on hold because Devean George exercised his right to block it.

However, it may have been in trouble before that. Earlier that day, Stackhouse told The Associated Press that he may be able to rejoin the Mavs, an indication the Nets planned to buy out his contract.

"I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," Stackhouse said. "I ain't going nowhere."

Not so, Thorn said Friday.

"I'm perfectly willing to take Stackhouse on my team. You can't make deals like that," he said. "Those are illegal. You can't do that. I'm not going to do it."

Thorn said there was nothing new with the deal after talking to George on Friday morning. If the trade does go through, he said then he would talk to Stackhouse about his future plans.

"He knows whether he'd want to play for us or he wouldn't," Thorn said. "Until you get a player, you aren't allowed to make any deals."

Thorn was surprised the deal was blocked, saying George had asked to be traded earlier in the season. George used his "early Bird rights" in rejecting the trade, a right given only to players on a second one-year deal that gives them a chance to sign their next contract for more than the salary cap allows. Those rights don't carry over if traded.

"Allegedly he had asked to be traded a couple of weeks before. Those rights were not an issue when he asked to be traded," Thorn said. "Dallas felt that it was not an issue. Why it became an issue I'm not sure. Obviously Bird rights were not an issue at that time."

Neither Thorn nor Kidd could guess the chances the deal, which also was to send point guard Devin Harris, and reserves DeSagana Diop and Maurice Ager to the Nets, would go through. Thorn conceded there was a chance Kidd could still be with the Nets after next Thursday's trade deadline.

"Right now it's inconclusive," Thorn said. "All I know is, a deal was made ... we agreed to a deal, we were getting the NBA office [to approve it]. Right now, it's definitely on hold."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

exstatic
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Spin. It was announced in every story that Stack was being bought out immediately with the cash sent in the deal. Thorn wants to be rid of JKidd and his salary. That's the reason for this outright lie.

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
You know when a GM is lying right? When his lips are moving.

lrrr
02-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Well, this makes me believe OJ really WAS innocent!

MajicMan
02-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Well, this makes me believe OJ really WAS innocent!
I lolz

timmy21_4rings
02-16-2008, 03:04 AM
funny, just shows how one can manipulate the words if he has not talked previously on this subject...

Everyone that has little brain knows what is waiting to happen - Nets buying Stackhouse out and him joining Mavs..

I wonder how people like Thorn survive in biz for this long...

venitian navigator
02-16-2008, 04:06 AM
I really don't understand why the mavs have made this deal causing this sort of problems...thay are still payng lots of expiring contracts for players that dobn't play anymore that I think can be included in the deal...if the interest of the Nets is, more than all, have Harris, Dipo and exping contracts.
Look at the one of Finley (they are still paiyng him a lot fgor this year), Bradley (Idem) Mbenga (idem)...
well I suppoise that any of these contects could be included in the deal also without being necessary to re-sign and trade Van Horn (that would add extra money)

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I know that the former NBA Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations would never engage in any activity with even the slightest hint of impropriety.

SAGambler
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I wonder how people like Thorn survive in biz for this long...

It's the American Way....The more $$$$$ you have, the more lies you can tell. The more $$$$$ you have, the more rules you get to break.

I bring you Enron, Worldcom as two examples of the lying, cheating, and stealing that goes on in business.

Ever hear the old phrase "Nice guys finish last"? Never is that more true than in business.

Southwest Texas Fan
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
It's the American Way....The more $$$$$ you have, the more lies you can tell. The more $$$$$ you have, the more rules you get to break.

I bring you Enron, Worldcom as two examples of the lying, cheating, and stealing that goes on in business.

Ever hear the old phrase "Nice guys finish last"? Never is that more true than in business.

Politics is another good example of that.

Bruno
02-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like when a child said "I didn't eat jam" while he has still the spoon in the hand and jam around the mouth. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I like how the Mavs players keep screwing this deal.

First George blocks the trade in a move that is just going to kill the team chemistry if the deal ends up not going through.

Secondly, I'm sure Stack was promised a buyout, but he opened his big, cro-magnum mouth and now Rod Thorn will probably be forced to keep his promise to retain Stack on the roster until the end of the season.