PDA

View Full Version : Fun stat...

Deimosfobos
02-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Bored with the all-star weekend, i decided to look into Manu stats and i found something i think is worth mentioning... Manu plays amazing on B/B games.

With 0 days of rest, this are Manu stats:

Min 34.9, FG% 47.222, 3P% .426, FT% 84.615, RB 7.3, Ast 6.8, Pts 22.0

No need to say those stats are far better than his overall stats, wich actually sugests Manu plays much better without much rest (tho he needs to rest eventually) since rhythm is very important to his game.

Just as a comparison, with 3+ days of rest:

Min 28.3, FG% 43.590, 3P% .333, FT% 76.744, RB 3.3, Ast 3.5, Pts 18.2

:reading :reading

SuperManu!!!
02-16-2008, 10:56 AM
So after the allstar break he will suck...

Yuixafun
02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I remember when he went off on the Phoenix Suns during the 4th quarter, 2 years ago(?).

The entire fourth quarter. There is being in the zone, and then playing like you are in the future.

I stopped watching everyone else and just focused on Manu. It seemed like he was playing a half a second ahead of everyone else. His anticipation was astounding.

During one sequence he bumps his man on the wing, watches the ballhandler from across the court, and before that guy even knows he is going to pass, Manu sags to help, then jumps the lane just as the ball is leaving, intercepting it in full stride. He's got two steps on everybody before anyone reacts.

When his instinct, basketball Iq and desire to win align, he gives us games like this. It's fitting that he wears number 20. Ginobili reminds me of Barry Sanders when it comes to making plays.

whottt
02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Sometimes players play better once they get exhausted...sometimes that's when they go into the zone...that's why the great ones do it in the fourth after they've been battling all game...

All this is within reason of course....playing 40 mins a game for an entire season is probably going to wind up being detrimental in most cases.

But maybe, just maybe, trying to reduce Manu's minutes has limited his effectiveness.

tp2021
02-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Manu is a fuckin beast.

Deimosfobos
02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Sometimes players play better once they get exhausted...sometimes that's when they go into the zone...that's why the great ones do it in the fourth after they've been battling all game...

All this is within reason of course....playing 40 mins a game for an entire season is probably going to wind up being detrimental in most cases.

But maybe, just maybe, trying to reduce Manu's minutes has limited his effectiveness.

Maybe you are right... who knows.

All I can say is that I was not expecting such amazing stats on B to B games.... makes you wonder... isn´t it? After all, is a common "fact" that he gets tired fast and plays poorly when tired. :wtf

TMTTRIO
02-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Manu's been great lately and has been doing really well with the increased minutes lately but it's still a really long year and he still should have his minutes monitored. Another thing is he's shooting a career high in 3pt % at over 41%.

remingtonbo2001
02-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Intresting stat....Don't really care though.

Manu just needs to play like Manu.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Intresting stat....Don't really care though.

Manu just needs to play like Manu.

Cause he's Manu Ginobili "Popovich"

WildcardManu
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Manoooouh

TMTTRIO
02-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I know it's from realgm but this is pretty impressive

http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/68/20080218/just_a_reminder_manu_ginobili_isn

Just A Reminder: Manu Ginobili Isn't An All-Star
Authored by Elliot Cole - February 18, 2008 - 1:37 pm

It’s easy to leave a guy like Manu Ginobili off of the All-Star team. He doesn't have a big media presence, he is notorious for flopping and in the collective public opinion of the San Antonio Spurs he’s buried somewhere underneath Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Eva Longoria (not literally, shame on you).

It’s also easy to say that Ginobili’s best years are behind him, or that the Spurs are struggling this year and don’t deserve a second All-Star. But then you take a look at the numbers and a paradigm shift the size of Manu’s nose smacks you in the face.

Ginobili is averaging 20.1 points a game, nothing to sneer at but modest for an All-Star shooting guard. But he also plays fewer minutes (31.1 per a game) than anyone selected for New Orleans, mostly because Popovich and the Spurs’ brass want to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Take into account his budgeted minutes, now spread out his scoring over a full game. Over the course of 48 minutes, Ginobili averages 31.2 points a game. That’s 5th in the league. Ahead of Dwyane Wade. Ahead of Western Conference starter Allen Iverson. Ahead of Nowitzki, Yao, Boozer and Roy.

Ok, so he’s a better scorer than everyone thought, especially considering that he already has two other All-Star caliber talents on his team. But the thing about Ginobili is that he does everything. Need a rebound? Manu snags an impressive 5 a game from the guard position, including a 15 board night against Toronto (per 48 his average tops Kobe and Roy). Steals? Ninth in the NBA at 2.66 over 48 minutes. Playmaking? He’s 28th in the league in assists per 48 at 7.1, a career high. And get this: only 3 non-point guards are ahead of him (Roy, Wade, and Lebron).

Think about that.. outside of the NBA’s point guards, he’s the 4th best assist guy in the league. While we’re at it that once again puts him ahead of Kobe, who has gotten buckets of media love for passing the ball more this season.

Need shooting? Ginobili is 22nd in the league in 3-point shooting. But few players mesh outside shooting with Ginobili’s ability to get to the stripe. Per 48, only 11 players get to the line more than Manu, and he doesn’t even have the long hair to draw fouls for him anymore.

Of course, Manu’s never been a numbers guy. He’s all about intangibles, up there with Kobe as one of the most competitive players in the modern era. He shoots an amazing 53% in “the clutch”, not to mention 91.9% from the free throw line when the game is tight. Need more? He’s created 22 assists in the last 5 minutes of tight games, but he’s only committed 1 passing turnover. A 22:1 assist to turnover ratio when the defense is set and the game is tight from one of the most balls-to-the-wall players in the league.

Finally, one last stat that trumps them all. When Manu Ginobili is on the bench, the Spurs have been outscored by two points this season. When he’s in the game, the Spurs have scored 250 points more than their opponents. He doesn’t fly like LeBron or have the finesse of Kobe, nor does he have the power of Pierce or the speed of Iverson. But Ginobili is in the same league as all of them, and deserved to be in New Orleans. Then again, maybe Spurs fans want him to be a little pissed off. After all, he’s only averaged 40 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 assists a game over their last 2 wins.

greens
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
TMTTRIO, awesome article! Thanks for posting.

I also found a new article just now that talks about Manu being snubbed...:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Behind-the-boxscore-where-a-great-All-Star-Game;_ylt=Ah9m3NLDmdVyiGuyKAIht6WkvLYF?urn=nba%2C6 7269

It's a long article...so here are the Manu excerpts, Manu's PER is mentioned again, as being number 6 among the other NBA players:

* I hated harping on a deserving All-Star in Brandon Roy in order to pump up what should be a pretty obvious case for Manu Ginobili (you know the drill: check out their per-minute stats:http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2008/jh_ALL_PER.htm), and Roy (18 points, nine rebounds, five assists) had a great game. Good for Roy. Doesn't mean he should have been there before Manu, or Baron Davis.

• Appreciate Kobe's competitive fire. The man would tear a ligament in his pinkie if it meant a win over the Hawks, but he should have stepped aside. Let Baron Davis play. Let Manu throw up a few step-back threes. The fans voted him in, and they were right to do so, but KB has to learn to take it easy from here on out. Kobe, we want to see you at your best in June, so chill.