PDA

View Full Version : Spurs in "Semi-Pro" Movie

bigfan
02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I keep seeing the previews to this movie on tv and it looks to me like the Spurs are in it quite a bit. Im assuming no actual players Ill bet but they do seem to have the correct uniforms on. I actually thought the uniform design back then was pretty cool. Anybody have info on this?

SenorSpur
02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I've seen the trailer for that movie, yet I can't remember the name of it. It appears to be a "knock-off" of the old ABA. It has all the 1970's style elements, from the wild-ass uniforms, to the hairstyles, and multi-colored basketball.

In the trailer, the featured team (Tropics) is playing against the Spurs, who are wearing their road black uniforms with black numbers trimmed in white. Looks kinda cool. And no, there doesn't appear to be any current or former Spurs in the movie.

xmas1997
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
That's true, no former players playing, but there are former Spurs who were advisors for the movie, namely Ice, A-Train, and Si.

T Park
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
yeah I believe the Tropics are a take off an old Miami team.

The board meeting in the previews though was 100% authentic. Except for Will Ferrell's antics :lol

BonnerDynasty
02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I heard the Spurs are the thug ABA team who are the villians in this movie.

T Park
02-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Bring it on :smokin

SenorSpur
02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I heard the Spurs are the thug ABA team who are the villians in this movie.

Love it!

SenorSpur
02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
That's true, no former players playing, but there are former Spurs who were advisors for the movie, namely Ice, A-Train, and Si.

Good piece of trivia. I had no interest in it before. Now I'm thinking about taking a peek at it.

SenorSpur
02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah I believe the Tropics are a take off an old Miami team.

The board meeting in the previews though was 100% authentic. Except for Will Ferrell's antics :lol

How'd you find out about the authenticity of the board meeting?

For the record, I believe the old Miami ABA franchise was called the Floridians, if I'm not mistaken.

crc21209
02-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Yea if you look closely of the scene in the trailer where theyre deciding who to convert to the new NBA from the ABA and the teams are having a meeting you see that the Spurs are one of the teams there.