PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's 2008 All-Star Jersey

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Not sure if you guys saw it yet, but it's pretty cool.

His actual jersey (not the replica), features small logos from the nine (9) other All-Star Games that Duncan has appeared in.

Hot.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I think this topic needs a new forum.

Ask admin I bet she/he will agree to form one.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Huh?

I am trying to find a pic of the game jersey.

Just thought it looked cool with the logos.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Duncan is boring, and most certainly NOT a ballah. :rolleyes
Next.

remingtonbo2001
02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Picture?

ThomasGranger
02-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Picture?

That will be in in the "Picture of Duncan's 2008 All-Star Jersey" thread

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Just thought

Try not to

T Park
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
poland, get screwed, ghost has forgotten more about basketball than you'll ever know.

Hey Ghost, is that the jersey or the warm up jacket? I saw that said jacket on TNT when the Spurs played the Suns.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 01:50 PM
It might be just the warm-up, now that you mention it .

I can't win with these homers.

When I post something innocuous (look it up, old man [B]exstatic), these grundles at like jerks.

When I post something critical of our Spurs or an unpopular idea for improvement, they act like jerks.

Do they really want this board to be lame and full of posts where they felate each other?

Question.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
poland, get screwed, ghost has forgotten more about basketball than you'll ever know.

Hey Ghost, is that the jersey or the warm up jacket? I saw that said jacket on TNT when the Spurs played the Suns.
He's been here a long time. Don't equate that with b-ball knowledge. :lol

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
ex, the surest way to give you a coronary is for the Spurs to sign an African-American under 30 that has any of the following:

a) Tattoos
b) Cornrows
c) Headband
d) Some semblance of an offensive skill set

Wake up. It's 2008 and not all "Blacks" are gangstas.

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
It might be just the warm-up, now that you mention it .

I can't win with these homers.

When I post something innocuous (look it up, old man [B]exstatic), these grundles at like jerks.

When I post something critical of our Spurs or an unpopular idea for improvement, they act like jerks.

Do they really want this board to be lame and full of posts where they felate each other?

Question.

Eh what are you gonna do right?

Yeah I hope they put that warm up for sale, I wanna get my hands on it, having all the logos on it is really awesome.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
The Spurs have signed plenty of 20-something players who happen to be African-American. Why must they have any of the following:

a) Tattoos
b) Cornrows
c) Headband

?

Wake up. It's 2008

Your dumb takes are vintage 1998.

and not all "Blacks" are gangstas.

Do you realize that?

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
He's been here a long time. Don't equate that with b-ball knowledge. :lol

I like to crack on ghost like the next guy, but hes had his share of good takes.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:08 PM

You post the same old stupid 'ideas' incessantly every year. It's not surprising people get tired of it and clown your ass.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi, Spurs Fan!

Thanks for confirming in the past last week that the Spurs have won numberous titles on the back of Duncan, despite:

1. Not being able to make trades for better players
2. Not signing guys under 30
3. Not being able to sign a max player despite having cap space

Bravo!

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM

They've signed plenty of guys under the age of 30.

BonnerDynasty
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I saw that jacket you guys are talking about and it was pretty sweet.

I doubt I could pull off that look but it was nice seeing all of those patches.

LEGACY!

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:33 PM
They've signed plenty of guys under the age of 30.
Who? When?

Uh,uh, uh... not counting the draft!

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I saw that jacket you guys are talking about and it was pretty sweet.

I doubt I could pull off that look but it was nice seeing all of those patches.

dynasty and hall of famer

Fixed it for you

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Who? When?

They may not have worked out and stayed with the team but that doesnt mean they havent tried.

Jeremy Richardson
James White
Jackie Butler

Like I said, they didn't work out, but the myth that they didn't or don't sign young guys is just that.

spursfan09
02-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Does anybody ever stay on topic here? :lol
I opened this thread to actually see a Duncan 08 Allstar jersey...

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:36 PM
They may not have worked out and stayed with the team but that doesnt mean they havent tried.

Jeremy Richardson
James White
Jackie Butler

Like I said, they didn't work out, but the myth that they didn't or don't sign young guys is just that.
:lol

You are a good person, T Park. Jesus loves you.

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Stephen Jackson is another.

Malik Rose

Those guys ended up being pretty good.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi, Spurs Fan!

Thanks for confirming in the past last week that the Spurs have won numberous titles on the back of Duncan, despite:

1. Not being able to make trades for better players

So Rose was better than Mohammed?

They drafted a 19 year old and started him at point. They signed a guy named Stephen Jackson and won a title. Next.

3. Not being able to sign a max player despite having cap space

And yet they won 3 titles in 5 years. Not to mention that you think the Spurs should move their 25 year old star point guard for an aging one based on the premise that they will be able to...sign a max free agent.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Does anybody ever stay on topic here? :lol
I opened this thread to actually see a Duncan 08 Allstar jersey...
http://www.cbssportsstore.com/sm-adidas-2008-new-orleans-all-star-tim-duncan-western-conference--pi-3011041.html

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Only in dumbassland does it matter that the Spurs drafted young players instead of signed them originally. Not to mention that they were hardly consensus no-brainer selections.

Do you realize that:

1. Tony Parker
2. Manu Ginobili

have made All-Star teams? Currently combine with Tim Duncan to form one of the best trios in all of professional sports?

spursfan09
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.cbssportsstore.com/sm-adidas-2008-new-orleans-all-star-tim-duncan-western-conference--pi-3011041.html

Awesome thanks! It's nice!

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Who? When?

Why does that matter? Most teams land young talent through the draft.

Find something real to complain about, Gimp.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
ex, the surest way to give you a coronary is for the Spurs to sign an African-American under 30 that has any of the following:

a) Tattoos
b) Cornrows
c) Headband
d) Some semblance of an offensive skill set

Wake up. It's 2008 and not all "Blacks" are gangstas.
Caspah, the surest way to give you a coronary is for the Spurs to NOT sign such a player, and still win.

You still don't get it. None of those criteria mean that said brotha is a good player, unless you're recruiting for the And1 mix tape tour. Don't you get tired of constantly pimping for a player who looks ghetto, for no other reason than they do?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
The Spurs haven't traded their young star point guard for an aging has been yet either. That has got to change.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
So Rose was better than Mohammed?

They drafted a 19 year old and started him at point. They signed a guy named Stephen Jackson and won a title. Next.

And yet they won 3 titles in 5 years. Not to mention that you think the Spurs should move their 25 year old star point guard for an aging one based on the premise that they will be able to...sign a max free agent.
Amazing, isn't it?

They have had exactly two (2) good draft picks since the no-brainer Duncan in 1997.

They overpaid, sending a fan favorite and decent rebounder in Malik Rose in a lateral move for Mohammed... giving up 2 draft picks in the process.

Then they finally gave a kid a chance, yet Stephen Jackson was last seen being the captain of the Warriors and averaging about 20 per.

And then when a [B} Spurs Fan[/B] dream up a scenario to send expiring contracts and Parker to the Nets for All-Star triple-double machine Kidd and the ability to sign a true max player as early as 2009, the homers say "no."

We'll just win the draft lottery and be lucky enough to have a Duncan or Robinson waiting for us, right?

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Caspah, the surest way to give you a coronary is for the Spurs to NOT sign such a player, and still win.

You still don't get it. None of those criteria mean that said brotha is a good player, unless you're recruiting for the And1 mix tape tour. Don't you get tired of constantly pimping for a player who looks ghetto, for no other reason than they do?
Don't you understand that 80% of the League fits into that criteria and when your front office can only get geriatrics or waived guys, maybe it's time to take a chance.

It worked the one time they tried it with Stephen Jackson.

And we all know how long it took for you to warm up to him.

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
They have had exactly two (2) good draft picks since the no-brainer Duncan in 1997

Uh more than that.

Just because they aren't playing here NOW, doesn't mean they aren't good.

Holt's Cat

Is that not what has happened? The only time he shows up spewing his crack addled nonsense is when the Spurs invariably go through their midseason lull. I'm not sure why you blow up a team that's won 3 titles in the last 5 years, is coming off a championship, and with a big 3 who are still very much in their primes. Well, you don't, unless you have some strange fixation on young African-American males who groom themselves a certain way and with trading away your top talent instead of drafting and retaining it.

Ghost Writer
The Spurs haven't traded their young star point guard for an aging has been yet either. That has got to change.
Popforbid we win the next two years with Kidd and then start rebuilding around a max free agent in 2009 or 2010, while Duncan still has a few decent years left.

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna go on a limb after next year when Sanikidze and Splitter are tearing it up at the Spur level, Ghost is gonna have to back away from that talking point.

T Park
02-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Popforbid we win the next two years with Kidd and then start rebuilding around a max free agent in 2009 or 2010, while Duncan still has a few decent years left.

If DUncan has a few years left, why give up a 24 year old MULTI All Star FINALS MVP point guard?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Amazing, isn't it?

They have had exactly two (2) good draft picks since the no-brainer Duncan in 1997.

They've had more, but you haven't been paying attention while the Spurs win championships doing exactly the opposite of what you've argued.

They overpaid, sending a fan favorite and decent rebounder in Malik Rose in a lateral move for Mohammed... giving up 2 draft picks in the process.

Parker and Ginobili are "overpaid"? Moron.

Then they finally gave a kid a chance, yet Stephen Jackson was last seen being the captain of the Warriors and averaging about 20 per.

He had his chance to come back.

And then when a [B} Spurs Fan[/B] dream up a scenario to send expiring contracts and Parker to the Nets for All-Star triple-double machine Kidd and the ability to sign a true max player as early as 2009, the homers say "no."

I just put that together to allow yourself to fully demonstrate your stupidity.

We'll just win the draft lottery and be lucky enough to have a Duncan or Robinson waiting for us, right?

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.

Sometimes, it's best to be good, lucky, and not worry about the fact that you have won 4 titles in 9 years. Is the league going to take back the titles because the Spurs didn't trade for their top 3 players or sign them as free agents from other teams? If not, what's the issue?

exstatic
02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Don't you understand that 80% of the League fits into that criteria and when your front office can only get geriatrics or waived guys, maybe it's time to take a chance.

It worked the one time they tried it with Stephen Jackson.

And we all know how long it took for you to warm up to him.
96.67 percent of the league doesn't get a LoB trophy every year, including teams with players that wear cornrows. Should we join that group to fulfill your fashion fantasies?

Why aren't you a Denver fan by now? They have four players that I know of in their rotation who wear 'rows, Nene, AI, Marsh-Melo, and JR Smith. Their fans would WELCOME your solid ghetto grooming takes.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Popforbid we win the next two years with Kidd

They won last year without him.

and then start rebuilding around a max free agent in 2009 or 2010, while Duncan still has a few decent years left.

Who is that free agent? The Spurs did that once before and Kidd himself wouldn't come.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:56 PM
4 in 9 years? The Spurs should have at least 6 in those 9.

You don't know how lucky the Spurs are, do you?

The Spurs overpaid for Mohammed. Please read.

Who else have the Spurs drafted that are good and have helped our team?

What is your plan for improving the team?

FromWayDowntown
02-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Who is that free agent? The Spurs did that once before and Kidd himself wouldn't come.

The Spurs shouldn't bother with immediate needs (win now, worry later? please . . . .) and are singularly at fault for the fact that max level free agents don't want to play second banana to this generation's greatest player.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 02:59 PM
96.67 percent of the league doesn't get a LoB trophy every year, including teams with players that wear cornrows. Should we join that group to fulfill your fashion fantasies?

Why aren't you a Denver fan by now? They have four players that I know of in their rotation who wear 'rows, Nene, AI, Marsh-Melo, and JR Smith. Their fans would WELCOME your solid ghetto grooming takes.
No one wants a team full of young "ballas."

I'm looking at calculated risks to strengthen the team's overall skill set.

Please, ex... lower yourself into your easy chair and take comfort in the fact that your front office got Duncan to cover up their inadequacies.

What's your plan?

Sign more old guys?

Hope we get someone off waivers?

Get lucky in the draft again?

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
The Spurs shouldn't bother with immediate needs (win now, worry later? please . . . .) and are singularly at fault for the fact that max level free agents don't want to play second banana to this generation's greatest player.
You guys really believe that 2003's debacle was about stars not wanting to play with Duncan?

Incredulous.

FromWayDowntown
02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
You guys really believe that 2003's debacle was about stars not wanting to play with Duncan?

Incredulous.

Okay, it was about the difference between 6 years with 10% raises and 7 years with 12.5% raises.

Win now, worry later!

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Make up your excu-, um, mind.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Okay, it was about the difference between 6 years with 10% raises and 7 years with 12.5% raises.

Win now, worry later!

Don't bother him with details.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Please, ex... lower yourself into your easy chair and take comfort in the fact that your front office got Duncan to cover up their inadequacies.

What's your plan?

Sign more old guys?

Um, that's worked before. Horry, Finley, Bowen, and Barry were damn good signings, to say the least. How is it a better move to go with unproven young players in your supporting cast, especially considering the Spurs have just won 3 title in 5 years doing exactly the opposite?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Is Ghost living in 1998 while everyone else is in 2008?

Win now, worry later!

exstatic
02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Spurs don't need to trade 25 (TP) for 35 (JKidd) to sign a MAX FA in 2010. Right now, they have $32.2M in salary committed to 3 players: Duncan, TP, and Mahinmi. Almost $2M of that is Ian, who may or may not be here. The cap has been in the mid $50M area, maybe $55-56M. Add three more summers to that figure, and it may approach $60M. If Ian's gone, that gives SA close to $30M to sign a MAX FA and fill out the roster.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:21 PM

What's your plan?

Sign more old guys?

Hope we get someone off waivers?

Get lucky in the draft again?

Yea, those spurs are stupid, quit so you do not have to bother

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I like to crack on ghost like the next guy, but hes had his share of good takes.

Name one good take

FromWayDowntown
02-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Make up your excu-, um, mind.

The point is that the lack of max free agent signings has nothing to do with the willingness of Spurs management to pursue those sorts of players. Max free agents have to face at least 4 significant facts in thinking about signing in SA:

1. Playing second banana to Duncan.
2. Taking less money (absent a sign-and-trade)
3. Moving to one of the league's smallest markets
4. Subserviating individual goals to team goals

Now, unless you're willing to argue that the Spurs team-first attitude is somehow so problematic that it must be changed, it seems to me that there's very little the Spurs can do to lure a max free agent other than to make an offer and suggest that all of the above facts will be irrelevant as said player wins rings. But, in truth, guys who are max level free agents are not guys (generally) who are most focused on winning a title as a part of a team concept. That's not to say that those guys don't want to win, it's just that guys who have the age and skills to be max level guys tend to be guys who: (1) don't want to play second banana to anyone; (2) who want to maximize their earnings; (3) who have substantial individual goals; and (4) tend not to want to play in smaller markets if they can avoid it. Those aren't facts that the Spurs can change. So, instead, they've focused on surrounding their formidable Big 3 with role players who willingly accept those roles and are motivated by the desire to win titles.

To this point, that strategy has been a huge success (3 titles in 5 years and, perhaps, two fluke plays from 5 straight), so I can see why someone would want to suggest that it should change.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Who gives a shit what he has forgoten?

What about you being screwed and owned on the luke jackson hahaha

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Maybe if the Spurs make a big trade or finally sign that max free agent they'll be able to win their first championship.

Don't bother him with logic and facts, FWD. Blissful bitching makes his pain go away.

T Park
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Who gives a shit what he has forgoten?

What about you being screwed and owned on the luke jackson hahaha

How was I owned?

His name was lucus, you said Luke.

Theres a Luke Jackson playing with the heat.

Get over yourself and learn how to spell forgotten.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:45 PM
How was I owned?

His name was lucus, you said Luke.

Theres a Luke Jackson playing with the heat.

Get over yourself and learn how to spell forgotten.

:lmao

I haven't seen anybody more pathetic.

You are not even a man to addmitt it a suck it up

Luke Jackson played with Wilton Norman Chamberlain as I said an average NBA fan should know this.

And everybody is calling Earvin Johnson a Magic Johnson, why are they doing it? His name is not Magic.

Owned on every single post there!

btw. Did I wrote Wilton Norman?
shit Bob Pettits first name is Robert. But who am I talking to? You don't even know who Bob Pettit was.

btw2. Luke jackson AD.1981 is not playing for the heat

bling bling - you wanna talk about this in the radio?
Call me

T Park
02-16-2008, 03:46 PM
btw2. Luke jackson AD.1981 is not playing for the heat

You wanna check the Heat's roster?

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:46 PM
You wanna check the Heat's roster?

You've got an old one?

T Park
02-16-2008, 03:47 PM
You don't even know who Bob Pettit was

You mean one of the first MVPs of the 1950s who played for the St Louis Hawks and considered one of the best power forwards ever to play?

nah dont know him.

STFU and stop acting like a dick.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
You mean one of the first MVPs of the 1950s who played for the St Louis Hawks and considered one of the best power forwards ever to play?

nah dont know him.

STFU and stop acting like a dick.

Charles Oakley?

T Park
02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Kori said it perfectly.

you dont make any fucking sense.

STFU.

polandprzem
02-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Kori said it perfectly.

you dont make any fucking sense.

STFU.

You are saying these words when you are helpless.

Ricky Davis - TParke got woned
haslem - got owned
oakley - owned
luke jackson - ownage owned

said and done, let us end on that note.

One out, who's next?

exstatic
02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
The point is that the lack of max free agent signings has nothing to do with the willingness of Spurs management to pursue those sorts of players. Max free agents have to face at least 4 significant facts in thinking about signing in SA:

1. Playing second banana to Duncan.
2. Taking less money (absent a sign-and-trade)
3. Moving to one of the league's smallest markets
4. Subserviating individual goals to team goals

1. I think this won't be an issue by 2010. I'm pretty sure Tim will be ready to step into the "David" role by then.
2. Most teams will take the trade exception rather than have nothing to show for losing a player. They have up to a year to use it. It also keeps them in the good graces of the top agents.
3. It is what it is.
4. If they don't want to do this, they're not worth signing.

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 04:14 PM

What the fuck max free agent are the Spurs going to sign when Kidd's deal runs out? Andre Iguodala? Luol Deng? Parker's way better than anyone with any chance of being available in 2009, except for Kobe Bryant or Baron Davis. Like Kobe's going to leave a team with Bynum and Gasol on it in the media capital of the world to come play in San Antonio. Parker for Davis is a lateral move at best without even considering Davis' injury history.

T Park
02-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Plus Parker is way younger than Baron Davis.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
1. I think this won't be an issue by 2010. I'm pretty sure Tim will be ready to step into the "David" role by then.
2. Most teams will take the trade exception rather than have nothing to show for losing a player. They have up to a year to use it. It also keeps them in the good graces of the top agents.
3. It is what it is.
4. If they don't want to do this, they're not worth signing.
Some quality posts from FWD and ex.

I did not think it would be possible to sign a max free agent and retain the Big Three (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili).

In that "either/or" assumption that I was running under, the Kidd trade scenario seemed like a tough business decision.

For the long-term success of this franchise, I don't think we can afford to "grow old" with the Big Three.

You all don't have to hate me for having this opinion.

I just look at how the Spurs were good, but deteriorating with Robinson, Elliott, Johnson until injuries ultimately led to a renaissance under Duncan.

I think the Spurs will eventually need to reboot with another superstar to continue being top contenders in 3-5 years as Duncan draws closer to retirement.

Again... the whole impetus behind the admittedly tough decision to do Holt's Cat's Kidd scenario.

If you are telling me there is a way to bring in another star via free agency around 2010 or so, then forget the imaginary trade now.

Like I said before, even though I am not convinced that Parker can be a star in this league on his own individual talent, he is perfect in this Spurs system.

FromWayDowntown
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Some quality posts from FWD and ex.

I did not think it would be possible to sign a max free agent and retain the Big Three (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili).

In that "either/or" assumption that I was running under, the Kidd trade scenario seemed like a tough business decision.

For the long-term success of this franchise, I don't think we can afford to "grow old" with the Big Three.

You all don't have to hate me for having this opinion.

I just look at how the Spurs were good, but deteriorating with Robinson, Elliott, Johnson until injuries ultimately led to a renaissance under Duncan.

I think the Spurs will eventually need to reboot with another superstar to continue being top contenders in 3-5 years as Duncan draws closer to retirement.

Again... the whole impetus behind the admittedly tough decision to do Holt's Cat's Kidd scenario.

If you are telling me there is a way to bring in another star via free agency around 2010 or so, then forget the imaginary trade now.

Like I said before, even though I am not convinced that Parker can be a star in this league on his own individual talent, he is perfect in this Spurs system.

I don't hate you for your opinion, I just disagree with your opinion. I think the things that I pointed to are factors that will exist here for at least as long as Tim Duncan plays, whether the Spurs break up their big 3 or not. I just don't see the point in breaking up the big 3 when they continue to be among the most successful acts in the NBA and (as you mention with the Rose deal) are three of the most popular players in the history of this franchise.

It will be extremely difficult for the Spurs to find a dominating player like Tim Duncan again. That a player is a max-level guy doesn't make him the difference-maker between being pretty okay and being a contender. Guys like Tim Duncan are rarely available, period, much less through free agency or even the draft.

Frankly, I think it's dreamworld thinking to believe that the Spurs will be able to stay at the top of the NBA after Tim Duncan retires, regardless of the trades they might make now or the free agents they might try to lure. You don't replace Tim Duncan -- particularly not in a small market like San Antonio -- without getting extraordinarily fortunate. I hope that I'm wrong, but it does seem that in a few years, after 20 years of title contention, the Spurs will be in for some lean times, regardless of how they do business in the here-and-now. And I still think that in the here-and-now, the best bet to win titles is to keep the Big 3 together and fill in around them with team-first role players who are most interested in winning titles and not worried at all about building individual resumes.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
So because the Spurs might not be able to keep the Big 3 together past 2010 (odd since the Spurs will have all of 3 players under contract and will have Manu's Bird Rights) the Spurs need to blow up what won the team a championship last year today?

Why are the Spurs preparing for the 2010-11 season? They have three playoffs to go before they reach that bridge.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
So because the Spurs might not be able to keep the Big 3 together past 2010 (odd since the Spurs will have all of 3 players under contract and will have Manu's Bird Rights) the Spurs need to blow up what won the team a championship last year today?

Why are the Spurs preparing for the 2010-11 season? They have three playoffs to go before they reach that bridge.
exstatic led me to believe that we can keep the Big 3 together and go after a max free agent in 2010.

Instead of being so negative, please follow the logical path of the thread.

It would be foolish not to entertain ways to secure the long-term success of the team on the court.

Unless you are telling me that you see us extending this run by obtaining another star by means other than a trade, then we could do worse than trading our thrid-best player (Parker) for a superior PG (Kidd) for two years and then have the ability to land a superstar as early as 2009 when Kidd's contract is up.

I am still dying to know your plan to stay a top contender... you counting on lottery balls again (you'll need to tank a season with Duncan and at least Manu or Parker under contract).

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
So the Spurs can keep a championship trio together until 2010 at least and perhaps make some noise in free agency then. So what's the problem? They keep together what works and then have cap room in 2010.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
FWD, your attitude saddens me in its defeatist nature.

If you won the lotto, would you blow all the cash, because, after all, you were middle class before striking it rich?

Question.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
So the Spurs can keep a championship trio together until 2010 at least and perhaps make some noise in free agency then. So what's the problem? They keep together what works and then have cap room in 2010.
How much cap room in 2010 with the Big Three under contract?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I am still dying to know your plan to stay a top contender... you counting on lottery balls again (you'll need to tank a season with Duncan and at least Manu or Parker under contract).

What exactly is your plan? Deal Parker now for a player with two seasons left in his career and then try to replace him in free agency in 2009? Sticking with what has won you 3 titles in 5 years through 2010 seems pretty good, considering the alternative you have argued for is moving the youngest member of that trio (currently 25 years of age) today.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:10 PM
How much cap room in 2010 with the Big Three under contract?

See ex's post. It's a shitload.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
But you yourself said the front office can't be counted on to replenish via a "star" free agent signing.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 07:14 PM
See ex's post. It's a shitload.
Lot's of cap room, but only Tim and Tony signed. Manu will turn 33 during the FA period that summer, so your choice is to re-sign him for market, forget him and chase a franchise player (there is one available and unrestricted that year), or convince him to sign a min contract for one year, and revisit some sort of MCE deal in 2011.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
But you yourself said the front office can't be counted on to replenish via a "star" free agent signing.

So what? That's 2010 and the Spurs would be able to keep the Big 3 together and go after a 'big' free agent. Why are the Spurs moving a star who will be 28 then to find another star?

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
What exactly is your plan? Deal Parker now for a player with two seasons left in his career and then try to replace him in free agency in 2009? Sticking with what has won you 3 titles in 5 years through 2010 seems pretty good, considering the alternative you have argued for is moving the youngest member of that trio (currently 25 years of age) today.
I would consider it.

I don't think we lose much in the next two years going from Parker to Kidd (I'd say it was an improvement, but only NBA followers outside of S.A. would agree with me).

And because Parker is the Spurs' third best player, I think it's tempting to get Kidd for two years and then potentially bring in a young star like Arenas to play with Manu and Duncan in 2009 (or wait for 2010's crop, which is better).

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
How is Kidd today or Arenas in '09 an improvement over Parker?

Arenas? :wtf

Nevermind that's assuming you can even land Arenas in free agency.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I think the Spurs are thinking beyond bringing in sidekicks for Duncan's last 4 years. They have those in place. They're going after a big fish in 2010, thinking post-Duncan.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
How is Kidd today or Arenas in '09 an improvement over Parker?

Arenas? :wtf

Nevermind that's assuming you can even land Arenas in free agency.
Are you serious.

This is why we are having failure to communicate.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the Spurs are thinking beyond bringing in sidekicks for Duncan's last 4 years. They have those in place. They're going after a big fish in 2010, thinking post-Duncan.
Can we retain the current big 3 and go after a max free agent in 2010?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Right, and if they aren't able to, then they will have the flexibility to replenish the supporting cast around the Big 3 for TD's last couple of seasons.

Why exactly are we worried about the 2012-13 season today? There are 5 playoffs before that. If anything, maximize the remainder of TD's career to win championships and blow it all up after he retires.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Are you serious.

This is why we are having failure to communicate.

Sure, you erroneously believe that 57 year old Jason Kidd and Gilbert Arenas are superior players to Tony Parker.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Can we retain the current big 3 and go after a max free agent in 2010?

Uh, I think that's what has been said about 5 times already.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
But you have no faith in the front office to do so.

You're on the clock, pal...

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
But you have no faith in the front office to do so.

You're on the clock, pal...

No faith to do what? And who cares? You want the Spurs to punt on the last 5 years of TD's career because you are worried about 2012.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Right, and if they aren't able to, then they will have the flexibility to replenish the supporting cast around the Big 3 for TD's last couple of seasons.

Why exactly are we worried about the 2012-13 season today? There are 5 playoffs before that. If anything, maximize the remainder of TD's career to win championships and blow it all up after he retires.
I think that the Spurs have an excellent opportunity to leverage the success and reputation of Manu, Parker and Duncan to be successful five years from now (and not become a lottery team to be good again).

Many of you are brainwashed into thinking Parker is a stud. Perhaps other GMs will, too.

I am telling you right now that after Duncan retires, we'll need more than Parker and Manu.

In the coming years, we should be thinking of trades, opportunistic singings and clearing cap space to bring in at least one more franchise-level player as far as a succession strategy beyond Duncan is concerned.

Ignore this if you think Parker is a better player than Kidd or Arenas.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I think that the Spurs have an excellent opportunity to leverage the success and reputation of Manu, Parker and Duncan to be successful five years from now (and not become a lottery team to be good again).

So blow up what works to avoid becoming a lottery team 5 years from now? That's Popd@mn stupid.

Many of you are brainwashed into thinking Parker is a stud. Perhaps other GMs will, too.

You are incapable of understanding how good he is.

I am telling you right now that after Duncan retires, we'll need more than Parker and Manu.

1. 5 years from now.
2. The Spurs would probably build the team around Parker.

In the coming years, we should be thinking of trades, opportunistic singings and clearing cap space to bring in at least one more franchise-level player as far as a succession strategy beyond Duncan is concerned.

WHY? Win now, worry later. Screw 5 years from now.

Ignore this if you think Parker is a better player than Kidd or Arenas.

Yeah, ignoring your drivel is not a bad idea.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
No faith to do what? And who cares? You want the Spurs to punt on the last 5 years of TD's career because you are worried about 2012.
Don't avoid the fact that you have cornered yourself.

You said that you would not trade Parker for an equal PG and max cap space in 2009.

But then you're turning around and saying you want to stand pat, because they'll be able to go after a max free agent in 2010.

What about the part where you asserted all this week that the Spurs front office can't sign star max players?

Question.

exstatic
02-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure about Ginobili. I'd love to keep him on a reduced deal, with the option to re-talk in 2011.

I think they're going after LeBron, and going hard. He'll be 25 in 2010. They'll offer him a place on a perennial champion, and the chance to be the man. He'll have the chance to play at least two years with Tim as sort of an apprenticeship, and maybe more if Tim is enjoying himself. I'm not saying he's coming, but I believe he's their target. He put Cleveland on notice by only re-upping for 3 years. There are other good players available, but no one else to turn the team over to in 2012. The rest of the players are #2s, not true franchise guys: Melo, Wade, Bosh.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't avoid the fact that you have cornered yourself.

How? I think you've cornered the 6th cocktail you've had today, that's about it.

You said that you would not trade Parker for an equal PG and max cap space in 2009.

I said I would not trade a 25 year old Tony Parker for a 36 year old Jason Kidd and having to count on 2009 to replace both.

But then you're turning around and saying you want to stand pat, because they'll be able to go after a max free agent in 2010.

Not what I said. I said they could keep their big 3 together and still have a significant amount of cap room to replenish the supporting cast around them. Under your 2009 scenario the Spurs will have to find a 3rd star in free agency and that will be a max free agent.

What about the part where you asserted all this week that the Spurs front office can't sign star max players?

Question.

What about it? With cap flexibility you don't necessarily have to sign someone, you can use it to absorb salaries in trades.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
That sounds great, but what about the part where none of you think the front office can woo a star max player?

Question.

The only other alternatives are trading your assets for picks or potential talent or winning the lottery again.

I like the idea of creating your own luck.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure about Ginobili. I'd love to keep him on a reduced deal, with the option to re-talk in 2011.

I think they're going after LeBron, and going hard. He'll be 25 in 2010. They'll offer him a place on a perennial champion, and the chance to be the man. He'll have the chance to play at least two years with Tim as sort of an apprenticeship, and maybe more if Tim is enjoying himself. I'm not saying he's coming, but I believe he's their target. He put Cleveland on notice by only re-upping for 3 years. There are other good players available, but no one else to turn the team over to in 2012. The rest of the players are #2s, not true franchise guys: Melo, Wade, Bosh.

Sure, might as well. You never know. Otherwise you blow it up and start over again in 2012, which leaves you with 5 years of TD's career to focus on winning more championships during.

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
How? I think you've cornered the 6th cocktail you've had today, that's about it.

I said I would not trade a 25 year old Tony Parker for a 36 year old Jason Kidd and having to count on 2009 to replace both.

Not what I said. I said they could keep their big 3 together and still have a significant amount of cap room to replenish the supporting cast around them. Under your 2009 scenario the Spurs will have to find a 3rd star in free agency and that will be a max free agent.

What about it? With cap flexibility you don't necessarily have to sign someone, you can use it to absorb salaries in trades.
You'd be trading PArker for Kidd for 2 years and then replacing Kidd with a franchise player for max money in 2009 who would be better than both Kidd and Parker before him.

You think Parker already is that star and that's where we disagree.

If the Spurs are intent on building the team around Parker, we're in trouble.

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:48 PM
That sounds great, but what about the part where none of you think the front office can woo a star max player?

Question.

What about it? The Spurs then build around Parker and rebuild the team with draft picks and what not. When Duncan leaves the game the Spurs will take a hit. So get the most you can out of his time now.

The only other alternatives are trading your assets for picks or potential talent or winning the lottery again.

I like the idea of creating your own luck.

I don't like the idea of making moves today for something that could happen 5 years from now. Who gives a fuck about 2012?

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
You'd be trading PArker for Kidd for 2 years and then replacing Kidd with a franchise player for max money in 2009 who would be better than both Kidd and Parker before him.

Who is that player?

You think Parker already is that star and that's where we disagree.

How is Parker not a legit 2nd or 3rd star in the NBA?

If the Spurs are intent on building the team around Parker, we're in trouble.

In 2012?

Ghost Writer
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
`Dude, when you are a fan of a franchise that has been at the top due to the sheer luck of two #1 draft picks that yielded all-franchise big men within the same decade of each other and have seen the front office whiff with max money in a free agent summer, you need to worry about the long term.

"Blow it up" in 2012 is what fool's do with house money.

DannyT
02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
what ever happened to talking about the 2008 jersey.....

Fernando TD21
02-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Why is this on the Spurs jerseys:
http://www.cbssportsstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2759735&cp=1398475.1421565.2806595&parentPage=family??
:lol

Holt's Cat
02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
`Dude, when you are a fan of a franchise that has been at the top due to the sheer luck of two #1 draft picks that yielded all-franchise big men

Odd, considering the Spurs won their last 2 championships without one of those bigmen and with two of their top 3 players acquired through shrewd drafting, not to mention the wisely put together supporting cast. Also, you need to take what you wrote to heart. The Spurs are a small market team who will always have a tough time landing a franchise player outside of the draft. Times are really good now, fucking enjoy it and stop worrying about 5 years from now. I mean, what the fuck dude? Are you really this scared? Stop worrying and start living.

within the same decade of each other and have seen the front office whiff with max money in a free agent summer, you need to worry about the long term.

"Blow it up" in 2012 is what fool's do with house money.

Blowing it up today because of what might happen 5 years from now is what "scared money" does.

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 08:45 PM
I would consider it.

I don't think we lose much in the next two years going from Parker to Kidd (I'd say it was an improvement, but only NBA followers outside of S.A. would agree with me).

And because Parker is the Spurs' third best player, I think it's tempting to get Kidd for two years and then potentially bring in a young star like Arenas to play with Manu and Duncan in 2009 (or wait for 2010's crop, which is better).

OK, so you have us wasting 2009 then?