PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Kings close to trading Bibby to Hawks

Bruno
02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/717681.html

By Martin McNeal
Published 11:27 am PST Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Kings have reached an agreement in principle to send veteran guard Mike Bibby to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue and forwards Lorenzen Wright and Sheldon Williams, sources told The Bee on Saturday.

The deal is contingent upon league approval that could come as early as today. According to sources who did not want to be identified because of ongoing trade discussions, there is a 1 p.m. conference call scheduled between the two teams and league officials.

When reached Saturday morning, Bibby said he was a bit surprised to hear Atlanta was the destination, but not that he was going to be traded.

"I had some good times here in Sacramento," said Bibby, who became known with the Kings as one of the league's better clutch shot-makers. "Sometimes you need a change and you never know where that might take you. I just prayed and asked for what might be the best for my family and this is what happened, so you can't question it.

"I'll always have love for the people in Sacramento, the Maloofs and (President) Geoff (Petrie)."

Dallas and New Jersey this week worked out a trade that would send point guards Jason Kidd to the Mavericks and Devin Harris to the Nets as the central figures. However, the trade has not been able to get league approval because of a contract situation involving Dallas swingman Devean George.

The reasons behind the deal for the Kings and the Hawks are clear and different. Atlanta is a young team attempting to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1998-99 season. Sacramento, meanwhile, is trying to clear salary cap space to become a player on the free-agency market as well as increasing its ability to make trades. Each of the players acquired by the Kings has an expiring contract.

Atlanta makes its only visit to Sacramento on Wednesday, and starting for the Hawks in his first game, conceivably, could be Bibby. His expected departure removes the final piece from the Kings core that consistently challenged to make the NBA Finals during the first half of this decade, but never could get over the hump.

Bruno
02-16-2008, 02:58 PM
It's a steal for Hawks.
Atlanta has a quite good team :

PG: Bibby/Law
SG: Johnson/Stoudamire
SF: Smith/Childress
PF: Williams
C: Horford/Pachulia

Hawks will make the playoffs this year, sorry Phoenix.

Kings get almost nothing for Bibby. Expirings and a questionable project with Shelden Willians is a very poor return for Bibby.

monosylab1k
02-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Bibby is the perfect guy for Acie Law to learn from. It sucks that Shelden is in the deal, but he was never gonna get PT with all the forwards on the team.

If Shelden Williams develops, he'll be a great post player for Sacramento too.

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Bibby is the perfect guy for Acie Law to learn from. It sucks that Shelden is in the deal, but he was never gonna get PT with all the forwards on the team.

If Shelden Williams develops, he'll be a great post player for Sacramento too.
+1

Kobayagi
02-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Does this mean they're gonna extend beno's contract next year?

picnroll
02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
And the best part is that Suns pick from Atlanta just got worse.

AFBlue
02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Atlanta finds the PG they've been looking for since passing on Paul in '05....and they didn't have to give up ANY of their prolific forwards to do so.

This has to be considered nothing less than highway robbery for the Hawks.

For the Kings it's a clear signal that they're set to rebuild. Lue, Johnson, and Wright all have expiring deals. They only got one prospect out of the deal and he's just average.

Shelden will never be a stud, but could be a solid contributor.

Bottom Line: Amazing move by the Haws FO. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out with them. Also, it'll be interesting to see what the Kings do with their apparent cap space this summer....who can they lure to Sacramento?

CuckingFunt
02-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Finally, movement!

Fillmoe
02-16-2008, 04:16 PM
shit ill take the expirings..... bibby makes 14 mil next season

Streakyshooter08
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Seems official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3249180

Good trade for the Hawks. They get the PG they need and did not have to give up one of their young wings. It will be interesting if they will make the POs.

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 05:04 PM
If Sacramento makes this trade to become the '86 Kings all over again, they should be forced to wear the power-blue jerseys too.

The Franchise
02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Damn!! We needed Bibby in Houston!!! :madrun Good trade for Atlanta bad trade for Mike.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2008, 05:56 PM
No lube for the Kings. The Spurs might as well call about Artest now.

JamStone
02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Good job Hawks. Makes them better plus Bibby's contract expires after next year in case it's not a good fit and Law might be ready by then. Don't give up anything except Shelden, a second rounder, and expirings. They might even finish with a .500 record this year ... errrr ... I won't go that far. But, they could move up to a 6 seed for the playoffs.

bostonguy
02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I am a proud member of the monosylab1k kiss my ass club!!

ChumpDumper
02-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Kings are going to have to waive a couple of players.

Fillmoe
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
d jones, tyronn lue and l wright will prollly get cut

CuckingFunt
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
d jones, tyronn lue and l wright will prollly get cutJustin and Dahntay, according to the rumor mill.

CharlieMac
02-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Finally a trade that makes sense.

TheTruth
02-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Good thing the Lakers weren't involved. This forum would be going crazy that the Kings only got cap room in return.

atxrocker
02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Finally, movement!

while i agree with your principle sentiment, with your notorious personal fondness of bibby i'm a bit surprised you're so happy to move him for nothing of substance. still, this is a sign that kings FO is still a live at least. please tell me more moves are in the works.

CuckingFunt
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
while i agree with your principle sentiment, with your notorious personal fondness of bibby i'm a bit surprised you're so happy to move him for nothing of substance. still, this is a sign that kings FO is still a live at least. please tell me more moves are in the works.I've been saying for the last two seasons that it's time for Mike to go. And I will say that I still think Artest is a bigger priority, so I sure as hell hope that this isn't our one move.

I liked what he brought to the team and thought he was the piece that really pushed us over the edge for a couple of years, but everything comes to an end.

T Park
02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Barry and Elson and Bonner for Artest? :)

bdictjames
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
lol, this is great for my 2nd favorite team in the league.

Im sure kingsfan is mad at this trade. :lol

kingsfan
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
lol, this is great for my 2nd favorite team in the league.

Im sure kingsfan is mad at this trade. :lolMad isn't the word :madrun I don't even know what to say.

velik_m
02-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Beno approves this trade. :tu

:lol

Streakyshooter08
02-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Barry and Elson and Bonner for Artest? :)

Do it. :fro

Bruno
02-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Even if it sounds crazy, I would like to have Artest in SA.
Elson + Barry + first round pick for Artest. ;)

Streakyshooter08
02-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Artest in SA without giving up one oft the big 3 would be awesome... but it won't happen.

picnroll
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Even if it sounds crazy, I would like to have Artest in SA.
Elson + Barry + first round pick for Artest. ;)
I'd do it. Spurs have done one year rentals on players before for a pick, Speedy. Barry could even return on a Stackhouse deal without the blabbing.