PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do cross-country skiing?

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
How difficult is it to do correctly? I ask, because there's a somewhat long hiking trail I really want to do, but the snow is 3-6 feet deep on it (so that rules out going on foot), and I've heard snow shoes are only good for very fresh powder. Is it something a person can figure out how to do successfully in an hour or two, without needing a class or anything?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
I used to do it as a kid. It isn't very hard to learn.

Hour tops.

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I used to do it as a kid. It isn't very hard to learn.

Hour tops.

What about skate skiing?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Never heard of it.

EDIT: Ahh, it's a different style that I'm obviously not familiar with.

boutons_
02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I did some cc skiing a few years ago in the French Alps near Italy.
Easy to learn, but you better be in good shape, it's a lot more work than Alpine skiing, esp if you have some inclines to mount.

baseline bum
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I did some cc skiing a few years ago in the French Alps near Italy.
Easy to learn, but you better be in good shape, it's a lot more work than Alpine skiing, esp if you have some inclines to mount.

The trail I want to do is maintained pretty regularly, so it's not like I'm going to be blazing a new one. I would imagine you could get some decent speed going on a maintained trail (correct?).

It certainly has to be easier than just walking through it. I climbed a pretty steep mountain through almost knee-level soft, fall in every step snow a couple of months ago, and that was hell.

This one is pretty much up and down with a 1000 foot fall/rise in about 10.5 miles each way, and not that steep at any area in particular.