02-16-2008, 10:46 PM
fucking AMAZING!

Avitus1
02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Superman!!!

Mister Sinister
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Fuck Superman.
Not Howard, though. Howard's amazing. Supes is a fucking pansy, though.

ClingingMars
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Dwight Howard is the king of dunking.

-Mars

Amuseddaysleeper
02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
the final dunk by Howard was kinda lame, woulda been cooler if he had dunked a big ball at the same time as a small ball for both baskets

superman dunk was amazing though

BillsCarnage
02-16-2008, 10:51 PM
insane.. Too bad he didn't save the superman dunk for last.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2008, 10:54 PM
The Superman dunk sucked balls. He wouldn't have made it to the rim. He had to throw the ball in. His first dunk was the most impressive.

Amarelooms
02-16-2008, 10:55 PM
He is SEVEN FEET TALL....he is funny and creative but his dunks are not that good...hes no Vince Carter for sure

ClingingMars
02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
superman was one of the best dunks i've ever seen, hands down.

-Mars

lurker
02-16-2008, 10:57 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/9f/fullj.2c650aa8a8e7a319651b0e188cb4d340/2c650aa8a8e7a319651b0e188cb4d340-getty-79624292mw003_sprite_slam_d.jpg

BillsCarnage
02-16-2008, 10:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2008/dhoward_627_080215.jpg

himat
:elephant :danceclub

JamStone
He didn't actually dunk the ball in that superman attempt

himat
02-16-2008, 11:00 PM

It was still sweet.

ClingingMars
02-16-2008, 11:00 PM

the fact that it went in the basket made it amazing.

-Mars

LakeShow
02-16-2008, 11:01 PM
It was still sweet.

+1

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2008, 11:02 PM
the fact that it went in the basket made it amazing.

-Mars

Jason Kapono was putting the ball in the basket as well. Does that mean he should be slam dunk champion?

Holmes_Fans
02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
The way he threw it in is what made it so good. If the ball barely gets there and rolls around the rim its lame, but he threw it so damn hard

AFBlue
02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
"Superman" got all the hype, but I liked two of his dunks better....

The first dunk was NUTS! He dunked the ball while his HEAD was behind the backboard....dude was slamming it BLIND!

And the dunk where he threw the ball to himself, touched it off the backboard with his off-hand, and then finished with his other hand...REDICULOUS! I'm sure other people could do it, but I don't think anyone ever has....that's creativity.

The "Superman" was pretty badass, but those other two dunks were revolutionary in their own right...

AFBlue
02-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm conflicted on the Superman....

On one hand, can you really call it a dunk, when he didn't make contact with the rim and was a good two feet from the basket when he put it in?

On the other hand....who gives a shit?!?! He was high enough to throw it DOWN into the basket from two feet away.

Respect Midge's position, but I'm gonna have to lean towards my second thought.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
YEah, just being high enough ABOVE the rim to through that shit down from that distance , like he was spiking it into a garbage can is what got him the 50.

if he didn't throw it down so hard he wouldn't have gotten away with it. :lol

midgetonadonkey
So if someone can jump really high from the free throw line and throw it in from there you would call it impressive?

v2freak
Howard's a bit of an egomaniac; the announcers started drinking Howard-flavored punch right after his first dunk

AFBlue
02-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Lost in all of that too was Green's Cupcake Dunk.....that was also badass.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Howard's a bit of an egomaniac; the announcers started drinking Howard-flavored punch right after his first dunk
What do you expect the whole weekend is a vanity fair.

Dex
02-16-2008, 11:14 PM
So if someone can jump really high from the free throw line and throw it in from there you would call it impressive?

If they're throwing it DOWN at the rim, you wouldn't?

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
If they're throwing it DOWN at the rim, you wouldn't?

Actually no I wouldn't. It's more impressive to actually be able to reach the rim than to throw the ball into from a few feet away.

JamStone
02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
The creativity and hype that came along with the Superman attempt was cool. It was exciting. And, how high he was and where he jumped from was amazing. It just wasn't a dunk. And, it's a "DUNK" contest.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
It just wasn't a dunk. And, it's a "DUNK" contest.

My point exactly.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-16-2008, 11:19 PM
The creativity and hype that came along with the Superman attempt was cool. It was exciting. And, how high he was and where he jumped from was amazing. It just wasn't a dunk. And, it's a "DUNK" contest.
I can foresee people putting an asterisk to the Superman dunk. :lol

I know if they wanted to they could have asked him to do another attempt, but they were too caught up in the moment.

Holmes_Fans
02-16-2008, 11:29 PM
It is also a SLAM dunk contest. He slammed the ball in

mob
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
impressive..wow

jmard5
02-16-2008, 11:56 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8128/dwight450080216oh3.jpg
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's the slam dunk champion!

Amuseddaysleeper
02-17-2008, 12:02 AM
even if it wasn't a real "dunk" this still should've made up for his robbery of being a slam dunk champ last year

baseline bum
02-17-2008, 12:06 AM
When I saw the Superman "dunk" I was blown away. Then, the replay took the luster off of it; kind of ironic, considering the sticker dunk wasn't too impressive until you looked at the replay and saw just what he did last time.

lefty
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
What a creativity !!!!

Last year the sticker.

Now this.

Dwight is a funny guy

bigfundamental21
02-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Lost in all of that too was Green's Cupcake Dunk.....that was also badass.
Yeah, the birthday cake dunk should have gotten a higher score. Dawkins gave him an 8 for that dunk. When they interviewed the judges after the contest, Dawkins could barely speak. He looked like he was drunk. :drunk

Axl Van Dam
02-17-2008, 01:19 AM
:elephant Dude's a freak of nature :elephant

His first dunk, The Superman Dunk, and the dunk where he bounced the ball of the floor and bounced it off the glass before slamming it down are 3 of the most insane dunks :dizzy I've ever seen.

JamStone
02-17-2008, 01:27 AM
D12's best dunk was the one with the least amount of flash, where he lobbed and then volleyballed the ball of the glass before slamming it. ESPN didn't even show that one in the highlights and that was his best dunk. The Superman attempt was an amazing non-dunk.

Holmes_Fans
02-17-2008, 01:54 AM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8128/dwight450080216oh3.jpg
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's the slam dunk champion!
That doesn't even look real

Amuseddaysleeper
02-17-2008, 02:30 AM
He's probably my favorite non-Spur

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm conflicted on the Superman....

On one hand, can you really call it a dunk, when he didn't make contact with the rim and was a good two feet from the basket when he put it in?

On the other hand....who gives a shit?!?! He was high enough to throw it DOWN into the basket from two feet away.

Respect Midge's position, but I'm gonna have to lean towards my second thought.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

ludda
02-17-2008, 03:19 AM
they should..it wasn't a dunk. And Kenny wanted to have Sex with Dwight he wouldn't stop kissing his ass!
Moon should have been able to go to the finals he was robbed!

Kenny definitely was ejaculating over Dwight the whole time. I thought Green's cupcake and shoe-less dunks were overlooked b/c of Kenny's high pitched moans over Dwight.

But Dwight was the clear winner.

SlovenianGuy
02-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Some definitions of a dunk:

A shot thrown downward through the basket, with one or two hands. Also: slam, slam-dunk, jam
www.wnba.com/about_us/glossary.html

A shot in which a jumping player slams the ball down into the opponent s basket from above.
www.nbagambling.us/terminology

Making a basket by stuffing the ball down through the rim and into the net.
hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Common_Basketball_Terms

To force the ball down into the basket with one or both hands.
en.beijing2008.cn/89/33/article212013389.shtml

a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball through the basket with one or both of his hands, then grabs the rim shortly after the ball passes through the hoop. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam dunk

Is a field goal made by slamming the ball thruogh the basket from above the rim.
library.thinkquest.org/5028/basketballglossery.html

As you can see, only the definiton in wikipedia includes "grabbing the rim".

some_user86
02-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for that, SlovenianGuy. I was just gonna post a definition too. In fact, why the hell not.

================
Oxford Dictionary:

dunk - noun, basketball - a shot downward into the basket with the hands above the rim.
================

I think these definitions (with the exception of wikipedia, which I can change in a few minutes :p:) pretty much seal it as a real dunk. It's unusual, but that's the whole point of the dunk contest.

bdictjames
02-17-2008, 12:55 PM
So yall saying Gerald Green should have won?

It was great and all, but from Howard's first dunk it was obvious he's the champion.

BonnerDynasty
02-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Like most things in the NBA, it doesn't matter who is better...it's who puts on the better show.

Was the cupcake thing a dunk? yes. Was it lame? yes.

Most of you probably have never dunked before so you can't comprehend how impressive it is to get that high and throw the ball down like that.

People will bitch about anything.

dirk4mvp
02-17-2008, 01:15 PM
One of the most impressive athletic moves I've ever seen...with that said, it wasn't a dunk.

Jeremy
02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
the final dunk by Howard was kinda lame, woulda been cooler if he had dunked a big ball at the same time as a small ball for both baskets

Yeah, that's what I thought he was going to do.

TheNextGen
02-17-2008, 02:31 PM
The fact that a player can slam the ball thru the hoop from 3 feet away is crazy. Thaty means he has to be real high and throw it donw real hard.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
they should..it wasn't a dunk. And Kenny wanted to have Sex with Dwight he wouldn't stop kissing his ass!

Moon should have been able to go to the finals he was robbed!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Slinkyman
02-17-2008, 02:54 PM
it was a dunk, it was badass, period.

dallaskd
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Moon definatley should have gone to the finals but the birthday cake dunk was badass.

dallaskd
02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Moon gets in the finals if he doesnt put that tape down

dallaskd
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Dwight was amazing but he didnt even dunk his second dunk he threw it threw and his hand didnt even touch the rim. is that legal??

nkdlunch
02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
THe superman dunk was lame. it was not even a dunk. this dunk competition is turning into a clown show

Dwight is a good guy and great entertainer but he ain't no dunk champion

bdictjames
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
THe superman dunk was lame. it was not even a dunk. this dunk competition is turning into a clown show

Clown show?

Its been a clown show for 3-5 years until Superman arrived.

Holmes_Fans
02-17-2008, 05:34 PM

His first one was the best, the other 2 were great aswell. His head was behind the backboard when the ball went it on the first

What dunks did Moon have? On the tnt highlights they only show one of them, the one he throws it to himself and does a 360.

Allanon
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Jamario Moon let down after so much anticipation...I think he probably can nail a free throw line dunk...no way he would have brought it out if he can't do it.

GG's cake dunk was pretty fun.

I think the degree of difficulty on the Superman dunk was much higher than if it was just a regular dunk.

He had to get ungodly high up there to throw it in.
Then there's the accuracy of the throw, he thundered that sucker in there
And to top it off, he caught it in midair

Timing and accuracy has to be incredibly accurate on that dunk.

Medvedenko
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Too many gimmicks now....That alleyoop to himself off the glass was dope...other than that...too many gimmicks.

dallaskd
02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Too many gimmicks now....That alleyoop to himself off the glass was dope...other than that...too many gimmicks.

I agree, if Green doesnt put a cake on the rim, the dunk sucks. and if Howard doesnt pull out the superman cape...no way that dunk is a perfect 50.

dirk4mvp
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM

So let's just go back to regular windmills we've been getting tired of for 20 years now.. :rolleyes

Lakafan23
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM

Wow, no need to hate. Dwight Howard is a beast and that superman dunk was amazing. He couldve dunked it but he never had full control of the ball.

midgetonadonkey
02-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, no need to hate. Dwight Howard is a beast and that superman dunk was amazing. He couldve dunked it but he never had full control of the ball.

How is it hate? I was just making a point that it wasn't a dunk. Even you said in your last sentence that it COULD'VE been a dunk.

He didn't dunk it and it was far from amazing.

hater
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I agree. If that non-dunk is the highlight of the weekend, this allstars has been a complete failure

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 12:32 AM
I agree, if Green doesnt put a cake on the rim, the dunk sucks. and if Howard doesnt pull out the superman cape...no way that dunk is a perfect 50.

I agree to that...This isn't high jump competition. it's a big part of it but never the only part of it. It's about getting those hands in the rim. That would be the 50. For me it's an incomplete dunk attempt.

The fact most of the definitions doesn't mention about holding the rim doesn't change the fact that a dunk has to be done that way (and it has always been since the past 30 or more years). People makes definition and all people doesn't agree. Unless the NBA itself impose a consensus definition of a "dunk" (for their league not necessarily the whole world), its always contestable that Howard's superman stuff, isn't really a dunk. We need uniformity - anyone can define.

Anyone (excluding howard) who tries to "dunk" that way would look silly (since your not graded because of the dunk but because of the jump). Any high school varsity player who would jump and throw forcibly the ball a few inches from the rim might not be actually called a dunker by others (since he's not howard nor had the benefit of the hype a superman costume).

Spurminator
02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
So, do you guys find that it causes a lot of skin irritation to go through entire days with sticks up your asses? Do they make a lotion for that?

midgetonadonkey
02-18-2008, 12:43 AM
So, do you guys find that it causes a lot of skin irritation to go through entire days with sticks up your asses? Do they make a lotion for that?

Why? Just because I would like for the "greatest" so called "dunk" ever to be an actual dunk? Am I supposed to go along with most people and call it the "greatest" "dunk" ever simply because the kid put on a Superman cape and jumped high? Since I do not think it is a real dunk I have a "stick" up my "ass"?

Fuck you and all the other 16 year olds on this board that aren't old enough to have seen a real dunk contest.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:15 AM

Do you think that all person who oppose your view has stick shove up their ass? Well thats what I think of you too...

LEONARD
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
What a fluke, wasted draft pick, that shouldn't even be on the All Star team!!

And LeBron got the MVP? He's not an All Star either...

/SpursDynasty

LEONARD
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm curious to know if he meant to throw the ball thru on the Superman dunk...

Whether he did or did, who else could jump from there and be in a position throw the ball DOWN THROUGH the hoop? Crazy shit...

Findog
02-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Dwight Howard winning the dunk contest, and LeBron winning Game MVP? Somewhere SpursDynasty is cradling a gun pressed up against the roof of his mouth.

florige
02-18-2008, 01:05 PM
His first dunk was hands down his best. The Superman dunk would had been more spectacular if he had actually grabbed the rim. But I'm no dunker, so I can't gauge the actual difficulty of that attempt.

LEONARD
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Dwight Howard winning the dunk contest, and LeBron winning Game MVP? Somewhere SpursDynasty is cradling a gun pressed up against the roof of his mouth.

Has he posted lately??

Findog
02-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Has he posted lately??

Yes, he has, under the nom de guerre of "DazedAndConfused." He also started a "Were we really struggling thread?" after the Spurs started out 4-2 on the RRT, and saying how they really should've been 6-0 if the others teams hadn't gotten all the calls and tried to shoot some shots on them.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
"Superman" got all the hype, but I liked two of his dunks better....

The first dunk was NUTS! He dunked the ball while his HEAD was behind the backboard....dude was slamming it BLIND!

And the dunk where he threw the ball to himself, touched it off the backboard with his off-hand, and then finished with his other hand...REDICULOUS! I'm sure other people could do it, but I don't think anyone ever has....that's creativity.

The "Superman" was pretty badass, but those other two dunks were revolutionary in their own right...

I'd agree here. I have Superman being the fourth best dunk of the night. I have the two mentioned above as the top two. His first dunk was a mimic of Andre Iguodala's dunk in 2006. Iggy was robbed that year.

mardigan
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
The fact that he threw the ball down through the rim was more impressive than if he had dunked it.

monosylab1k
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I didn't bother watching anything All-Star related. What were the rules for the Dunk Contest this year? Did everyone have 19 tries to do the same dunk and look retarded a la Chris Andersen & Nate Robinson?

That was the lamest thing about recent dunk contests.

florige
02-18-2008, 02:25 PM
To that point I was still buzzing over SA winning the shooting challenge. I was freakin nervous when we made it to the final round.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
I didn't bother watching anything All-Star related. What were the rules for the Dunk Contest this year? Did everyone have 19 tries to do the same dunk and look retarded a la Chris Andersen & Nate Robinson?

That was the lamest thing about recent dunk contests.

Each contestant has two minutes to complete their dunk. To be honest, the most any player missed was maybe - MAYBE - twice. Most made their first attempts. Howard only missed on dunk, I believe. His first attempt on his final dunk of the night. He made his next.

monosylab1k
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Each contestant has two minutes to complete their dunk. To be honest, the most any player missed was maybe - MAYBE - twice. Most made their first attempts. Howard only missed on dunk, I believe. His first attempt on his final dunk of the night. He made his next.
Cool, that's better than the way they did it the past 3 or 4 years.

It still oughta be one chance to get your dunk down, and if you miss, tough tits. Shoulda practiced it more.

UV Ray
02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
He should have starched his cape.