PDA

View Full Version : Howard's dunk???

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Is Howard's "super man dunk" considered as a dunk?

I think he didn't even touch the rim on that one. Fortunately for him the crowd was going crazy over his superman costume that they hardly looked over his dunk. I think he should be disqualified for that. Green got rob of the trophy.

Texas_Ranger
02-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Yea, Howard didn't touch the rim, so in my opinion he should of go and try to dunk it again.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Greatest layup in the history of the dunk contest

hsxvvd
02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Howard should have won it last year too!

His first dunk was the best dunk I've seen in the dunk contest.

The Superman dunk, was all about showmanship, he sold it. Besides, he literally threw the ball down into the ring, and it was very impressive.

The two hands off the glass, was also a great dunk, looked simple at first, but when slowed down, you realize how difficult it was.

Green's birthday cake dunk was the second best dunk overall, but Dr J was right, the shoeless dunk was underrated, it was fucking crazy to even attempt it! You think it'd void his insurance if he got injured? No way Howard would even have been allowed to attempt that by the Magic.

Overall, best dunk contest yet, I hope we can see Green v. Howard again next year.

DynastyBuilder
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm with you guys, that's what I thought too. But I don't think Green got robbed, even though his birthday cake dunk was pretty cool.

On a side note did you see how pissed Dawkins and Wilkins were when Green autographed his shoes and sat them in front of those guys? 'Nique give the look like "you have to be sh!tting me" and then Dawkins knocked the shoes off the table. I thought that was very disrespectful by Green.

jag
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
I'll count it as a dunk only because he literally threw it in the rim.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
I count it as a dunk-equivalent because he released the ball above the rim and threw it downward.

Road Warrior
02-17-2008, 01:08 AM
I count it as a dunk-equivalent because he released the ball above the rim and threw it downward.
Yeah i agree.

remingtonbo2001
02-17-2008, 01:10 AM
I thought Howard's first dunk was one of the top 5 best dunk's of all time. To be able to not injure yourself, yet get enough air to finish....amazing.

That's something I've noticed about Howard....It isn't the height that is amazing, but how long he stays in the air.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm with you guys, that's what I thought too. But I don't think Green got robbed, even though his birthday cake dunk was pretty cool.

Howard shouldn't even qualified for the finals if that dunk was nullified. Jamario moon's dunk was also great. We could have had a moon vs. green match up in the finals.

Howard's dunk was great but I feel that he didn't perform right in the second round to be allowed to be in the finals, He should have been required to do it again. It's a dunk contest for heaven sake! Or they could change the definition of dunking as that of a throw.

A throw from the half court can now be considered a dunk (space jam style).

DynastyBuilder
02-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Howard shouldn't even qualified for the finals if that dunk was nullified. Jamario moon's dunk was also great. We could have had a moon vs. green match up in the finals.

He had plenty of time to redo it, it's not like he wouldn't have been able to make a dunk to advance.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Howard should have won it last year too!

His first dunk was the best dunk I've seen in the dunk contest.

The Superman dunk, was all about showmanship, he sold it. Besides, he literally threw the ball down into the ring, and it was very impressive.

The two hands off the glass, was also a great dunk, looked simple at first, but when slowed down, you realize how difficult it was.

Green's birthday cake dunk was the second best dunk overall, but Dr J was right, the shoeless dunk was underrated, it was fucking crazy to even attempt it! You think it'd void his insurance if he got injured? No way Howard would even have been allowed to attempt that by the Magic.

Overall, best dunk contest yet, I hope we can see Green v. Howard again next year.

Plus 1

That first dunk was just sick never done before also the third was good too.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
http://canadianpress.google.com/media/ALeqM5iOCEN-BuSOnYNYV0dzmErudBzg3Q?size=s http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/31a8f7dd-65a5-4524-b9b0-0aa93d9b3b89/howard0216.jpg?size=l

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would think that shot was a dunk. :rolleyes

MajicMan
02-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Best costume ever but that wasn't no dunk. He threw it in. Didn't even come close to the rim. That dunk contest sucked. Nothing but props and gimmicks. Looked like the Carrot Top sponsored dunk contest.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 01:22 AM
He had plenty of time to redo it, it's not like he wouldn't have been able to make a dunk to advance.

and he should have...but since the officials foolishly failed to require that it his win although great leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

If you come across him, please say that to him.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 01:24 AM
You guys are full of it. Where does it say your hand has to be close to the rim? How close? 2 inches? 6 inches? 11.7 inches?

His hand was above the rim when he released it and it went downward into the basket.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 01:28 AM
You guys are full of it. Where does it say your hand has to be close to the rim? How close? 2 inches? 6 inches? 11.7 inches?

His hand was above the rim when he released it and it went downward into the basket.

So jordan, d. wilkins and Dr. J was doing it wrong all along. We have to change the rules. Anyone who can jump above an inch of the rim and drop it would qualify as a dunk. Go get a dictionary while your at it.

mVp
02-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Is howards "superman dunk" a dunk?

Who cares? Green didn't deserve to win anyway, he fucking sucked!

Howard stole the show, big time.

Dex
02-17-2008, 01:29 AM
In all technicality, it wasn't a dunk. It was a shot.

Or a literal "throw down".

But, for showmanship and general entertainment purposes, I think they were right to qualify it. It was hard to tell it wasn't an actual "dunk" until you went to the replay, and I don't think anyone would argue that is less impressive than half the shit some contestants try to pull out.

baseline bum
02-17-2008, 01:30 AM
That contest was a lot of fun. Even if Superman didn't touch rim, it was impressive as hell. The height he got on that was crazy.

That first one was amazing. When I saw him setting up, I said no, god, I don't want people doing Iguodala's move and getting sent to the hospital if they screw up, but to do the whole thing with his body behind the backboard was unreal. Easily one of the all-time great dunks there; prob the best one since Carter's dunks in 2000.

The one off the backboard was pretty amazing too. I gotta give Green props though; blowing out the candle on the cake was a great dunk, and doing that between the legs dunk in his socks was pretty sweet too.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Who cares? Green didn't deserve to win anyway, he fucking sucked!

Howard stole the show, big time.

Maybe green didn't deserve it, but howard who isn't suppose to be in the finals, didn't deserve it either. Who knows , it could have been jamario moon all along.

spursjustice
02-17-2008, 01:33 AM
It was a throw down for sure... but he would still have had enough time to go back and give it another go...

awesome dunk comp... one of the best I've seen!

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 01:34 AM
So jordan, d. wilkins and Dr. J was doing it wrong all along. We have to change the rules.What rules? How were they changed?

Anyone who can jump above an inch of the rim and drop it would qualify as a dunk. Yes, it would.

Go get a dictionary while your at it.Okay . . . http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dunk%20shot

dunk shot –noun Basketball. a shot in which a player near the basket jumps with the ball and attempts to thrust it through the basket with one hand or both hands held above the rim. That describes his shot. It says nothing about hands touching or going through the rim. In fact, his shot was an order of magnitude harder because he wasn't right next to the basket.

Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2008, 01:36 AM

My first impression was to not call it a dunk, but Dr. Shooggy has a point here. If memory serves, Duncan himself has jumped up in his lazy, sloth-like way in effort to dunk the ball, only to let the ball fall down as his hands go above the rim, essentially dropping the ball into the rim.

I consider these dunks, in fact, I've come to love these type of Duncan dunks (but have not seen one in quite a while to tell the truth).

Then I tell myself, if I consider these energy efficient, unatheletic, lazy balldrops of Duncan's to be dunks, then Dwight's superman thing was a dunk as well.

However to counterpoint my point, I was also under the impression that the move was called a "dunk" because of the sound made when the players hand slams the ball into the basket, the contact making that "dunk" sound.

mVp
02-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Who knows , it could have been jamario moon all along.

He screwed up when he put that tape on the floor... I was rooting for the guy but he just blew it, anyway he had some great dunks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Maybe green didn't deserve it, but howard who isn't suppose to be in the finals, didn't deserve it either. Who knows , it could have been jamario moon all along.

Do you have a Paypal account? You obviously need to get laid, I can send you some cash for a hooker or something.

Shut the fuck up, you're making Spurs fans look bad.

remingtonbo2001
02-17-2008, 01:58 AM
We should refer to Dr. J to resolve this question.

Anyone have his email address handy?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-17-2008, 01:59 AM
rp__vGs3fa8

I'm gonna have to agree with the other posters that the replay takes away from it..

When you watched it live, Kenny and them sold it well (along with the Dwight's superman cape) by saying "he was up so High! he threw it through!"

I still it think Dwight's were all fun dunks to watch.

Gerald Green didn't look happy in his reactions to all the dunks. And Moon shouldn't have released that teaser, because he couldn't do the dunk when it counted. I really wanted to see him do that long Dunk...but oh well, couldn't deliver.

JohnnySixString
02-17-2008, 02:08 AM
That's something I've noticed about Howard....It isn't the height that is amazing, but how long he stays in the air.

Actually, it is the height that is amazing, because it directly relates to how long he is up there. http://www.kidzworld.com/article/4093-the-science-of-the-slam

I don't see why the NBA wouldn't raise the rim for him. That way we could see Green attempt a 13' dunk.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about?

Unfortunately for you I do. And you might also understand, if you only know how to read.

your definition says DUNK -a shot in which a player near the basket jumps with the ball and attempts to thrust it through the basket with one hand or both hands held above the rim.

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, but this held means to hold, to touch the rim. I don't know how you would consider another way of doing it. So before bragging, read carefully. That's why your definition never failed to mention "held" and "rim".

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Do you have a Paypal account? You obviously need to get laid, I can send you some cash for a hooker or something.

Shut the fuck up, you're making Spurs fans look bad.

No keep it, you need it to get laid. I'm getting plenty thank you. You know what they say about people without intelligence and without underwears, when you don't have one, IT SHOWS!

MajicMan
02-17-2008, 02:14 AM
For all of you non dunkers out there, which is all of you, that was a dunk. You don't need to grab the rim. As long as you are above the rim and throw it downward, it is a dunk.

Gerald Green's shoeless dunk will never get the credit it deserves. I have dunked a small ball between the legs on a 10 foot hoop. I can't even imagine how hard it is to dunk a basketball, let alone with your shoes off.
Wrong

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-17-2008, 02:15 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142/gold_leader64/DwightHowardandWalker.jpg

Antoine sighting! :smokin

JohnnySixString
02-17-2008, 02:15 AM
For all of you non dunkers out there, which is all of you...

Hey, I'll let you know I've lowered my goal to 9' and dunked plenty of times, lol. :p:

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-17-2008, 02:19 AM
No keep it, you need it to get laid. I'm getting plenty thank you. You know what they say about people without intelligence and without underwears, when you don't have one, IT SHOWS!

Nyuck nyuck nyuck. That's about as funny as claiming it's not a dunk because his hand didn't touch the rim, or acting like Gerald Green actually deserved to win this. :rolleyes

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Nyuck nyuck nyuck. That's about as funny as claiming it's not a dunk because his hand didn't touch the rim, or acting like Gerald Green actually deserved to win this. :rolleyes

my point...end of discussion.

sabar
02-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Who cares, his first dunk from behind the backboard pretty much was the end.

BonnerDynasty
02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
He threw that shit DOWN

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Who cares, his first dunk from behind the backboard pretty much was the end.

No point of questioning that. I liked it too, but I felt, it was unfair for everyone else that the "superman" thing got counted as a dunk. It's all in the spirit of fairness and nothing else.

SDSA
02-17-2008, 02:42 AM
There is really no reason for anyone to be complaining because well he won, its done you can't do much. I think it was an Awesome dunk personally. He owned Green and all them. He deserved to win , he got ripped off last year anyways.

The Definition:
slam dunk - a forceful dunk
dunk, dunk shot, stuff shot - a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket.

There is nothing about having to touch the rim or be so many inches away. Its just what it is. Don't try to take away from his victory. Dwight Howard was SuperMan for those 2 mins.

MajicMan
02-17-2008, 02:50 AM
There is really no reason for anyone to be complaining because well he won, its done you can't do much. I think it was an Awesome dunk personally. He owned Green and all them. He deserved to win , he got ripped off last year anyways.

The Definition:
slam dunk - a forceful dunk
dunk, dunk shot, stuff shot - a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket.

There is nothing about having to touch the rim or be so many inches away. Its just what it is. Don't try to take away from his victory. Dwight Howard was SuperMan for those 2 mins.
Gay...By definition maybe but by rule of thumb no.

jbspurs
02-17-2008, 03:02 AM

I don't think so, they have upto 2 minutes to complete a dunk and after the time expires, they still get two more chances to complete a dunk.

anakha
02-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Unfortunately for you I do. And you might also understand, if you only know how to read.

your definition says DUNK -a shot in which a player near the basket jumps with the ball and attempts to thrust it through the basket with one hand or both hands held above the rim.

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, but this held means to hold, to touch the rim. I don't know how you would consider another way of doing it. So before bragging, read carefully. That's why your definition never failed to mention "held" and "rim".

Ok, time to bust out my inner :nerd

Just to be strict with definitions, 'held above the rim' in this case means that until the ball goes through the basket, the hands stay in a position above where the level of the rim would be.

gf13, you might be taking the definition too far if you take 'held above the rim' = 'holding on or touching the rim'. Those phrases mean two separate things.

A typical dunk has the dunker release the ball into the basket right before grabbing onto the rim, which would fulfill the 'held above the rim' condition.

So if the definition of dunks by Shoogarbear is indeed the correct one, Howard's Superman is indeed a dunk - if only because the definition doesn't say anything about holding onto or touching the rim.

If you still want to contest that with him, than you'd have to give another documented definition of a dunk which explicitly states that rim-grabbing is mandatory.

v2freak
02-17-2008, 03:16 AM
It was clear from the get-go that everyone wanted Howard to win. His first dunk pretty much said that all the commentators would compliment his misses from then on. I voted as it not being a dunk, but damn, he sure did get some height on that one.

And yes, Gerald Green's shoeless dunk was way overrated but what everyone saw was the same between-the-legs dunk he had done right before. He should have switched it up. The game seems to be more about props and hype now than actual dunking. Moon did a similar dunk that was close to the free throw line, only, minus the cape and star appeal.

JamStone
02-17-2008, 03:18 AM
D12's hands were never above the rim on the Superman attempt. He didn't have the distance to get his hand over the rim. At some point in his flight, his hands were above "the height" of the rim, but not directly above the rim itself. His hand was several inches short of reaching the rim and that's why he threw the ball in. The attempt was amazing in itself. And, arguing semantics does nothing if you want to go by the literal meaning of a dunk. Technically, you can argue it was a dunk. But, I think it's generally agreed that a dunk would consist of one or both hands touching or grabbing the rim as the ball is put through the hoop. If a 7 footer shoots a baby hook in the lane where his hand is above the height of the rim but doesn't come close to touching the rim, would most people consider that a dunk?

Findog
02-17-2008, 04:18 AM
D12 supermanned that ho!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Wasn't technically a dunk, but the point is he was so far above the rim that he could throw it down!

He won the dunk contest on his first dunk from behind the backboard IMHO. That was SICK! Why that wasn't his showpiece for the final I don't know...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah all his dunks were quality dunks. He rose the bar.

Who cares about the technicalities of his superman "dunk" :lol

My favorite one of his was his tap off the backboard switch. His weakest one was probably the basketball hoop grab one.

biba
02-17-2008, 05:30 AM
The dunk from behind the backboard was sick but there was a sicker one at the 2006 All Star Dunk Contest by A.I. and A.I.:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w6z9-l4hnMM

SlovenianGuy
02-17-2008, 06:27 AM
From a thread in nba forum:

Some definitions of a dunk:

A shot thrown downward through the basket, with one or two hands. Also: slam, slam-dunk, jam
www.wnba.com/about_us/glossary.html

A shot in which a jumping player slams the ball down into the opponent s basket from above.
www.nbagambling.us/terminology

Making a basket by stuffing the ball down through the rim and into the net.
http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/C...asketball_Terms

To force the ball down into the basket with one or both hands.
en.beijing2008.cn/89/33/article212013389.shtml

a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball through the basket with one or both of his hands, then grabs the rim shortly after the ball passes through the hoop. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam dunk

Is a field goal made by slamming the ball thruogh the basket from above the rim.
http://library.thinkquest.org/5028/...llglossery.html

As you can see, only the definiton in wikipedia includes "grabbing the rim".

mathbzh
02-17-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't care, I also prefer his first dunk.

polandprzem
02-17-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry to call you an old man, Shoog :depressed

And yea, that was a dunk. He threw it hard and even you could hear the sound of a rim. SLAM!

Fernando TD21
02-17-2008, 06:59 AM
When I watched I didn't think it was a real dunk, but after reading some dunk definitions here, I think it could be considered a dunk.
But JamStone has a good point:

D12's hands were never above the rim on the Superman attempt. He didn't have the distance to get his hand over the rim. At some point in his flight, his hands were above "the height" of the rim, but not directly above the rim itself. His hand was several inches short of reaching the rim and that's why he threw the ball in. The attempt was amazing in itself. And, arguing semantics does nothing if you want to go by the literal meaning of a dunk. Technically, you can argue it was a dunk. But, I think it's generally agreed that a dunk would consist of one or both hands touching or grabbing the rim as the ball is put through the hoop. If a 7 footer shoots a baby hook in the lane where his hand is above the height of the rim but doesn't come close to touching the rim, would most people consider that a dunk?
I have to agree with this, but I still think that that "super throw down / dunk" was really impressive, even if it wasn't a legitimate dunk. And I'm happy with the results, Howard deserved to win.

urunobili
02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
throw down. he never touched the rim

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 09:00 AM
If you still want to contest that with him, than you'd have to give another documented definition of a dunk which explicitly states that rim-grabbing is mandatory.

Why should I? his the one alleging...Anyone who alleges has the duty to prove his point. Otherwise the conventional and common meaning stays. Ask any dumbass lawyer.

I just commented on his definition ( and I didn't ask him to give that definition) and if he can't argue his way out of that , then there is no point for me to continue this discussion. Don't go lawyering for him.

A typical dunk has the dunker release the ball into the basket right before grabbing onto the rim, which would fulfill the 'held above the rim' condition.

The point is, he still has to hold the rim, before it can be considered a dunk. The release is not contested. It's the necessity of holding the rim. Don't go away from the issues my dear friend.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Green sold out on his last dunk anyways.

bobbybob0
02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Dunk contest is all about fun so DH throw down qualifies !

And his last one was just amazing.

some_user86
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Why should I? his the one alleging...Anyone who alleges has the duty to prove his point. Otherwise the conventional and common meaning stays. Ask any dumbass lawyer.

I just commented on his definition ( and I didn't ask him to give that definition) and if he can't argue his way out of that , then there is no point for me to continue this discussion. Don't go lawyering for him.

The point is, he still has to hold the rim, before it can be considered a dunk. The release is not contested. It's the necessity of holding the rim. Don't go away from the issues my dear friend.

A typical dunk, yes. But his dunk fits the definition. Holding the dunk is not a requirement. Quit getting your panties in a knot over this. It ain't a big deal. Enjoy the entertainment.

N.B.: I used the following definition.

Oxford Dictionary:
dunk - noun, basketball - a shot downward into the basket with the hands above the rim.

Edit: For that matter, isn't the purpose of the All-Star Dunk Contest to find the most creative, hence the most atypical, dunks?

KEDA
02-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I thought it was a dunk.

And I also thought that GG's shoeless dunk was very underrated. And Daryl Dawkins is a jackass for knocking his shoes to the floor. Take them and throw them in the crowd to give to a fan, but don't disrespect the guy on national TV like that.

I hope to see them next year, and let both of them try the 13 foot rim.

some_user86
02-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I thought it was a dunk.

And I also thought that GG's shoeless dunk was very underrated. And Daryl Dawkins is a jackass for knocking his shoes to the floor. Take them and throw them in the crowd to give to a fan, but don't disrespect the guy on national TV like that.

I hope to see them next year, and let both of them try the 13 foot rim.

Green disrespected Dawkins by leaving his shoes there. As if Dawkins wants his scrub-ass shoes. The best option for Green was to give to a fan himself. (If I am not mistaken, Green is the same idiot who is demanding a trade from the T-wolves with his 5ppg).

DynastyBuilder
02-17-2008, 10:05 AM
On a side note did you see how pissed Dawkins and Wilkins were when Green autographed his shoes and sat them in front of those guys? 'Nique give the look like "you have to be sh!tting me" and then Dawkins knocked the shoes off the table. I thought that was very disrespectful by Green. :wakeup

anakha
02-17-2008, 10:10 AM

The main point I was making was that 'held above the rim' was not the same as 'holding on to or touching the rim', as you were trying to argue previously. You were trying to use the definition of a dunk ShoogarBear provided as proof that Howard's Superman was not a dunk, but according to that definition, there is no explicit reference to 'holding on to or touching the rim'.

Personally, I think the judges should have asked Howard to redo that performance, based on the replay. I'm just saying you were going about your counterargument in the wrong way.

1Parker1
02-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Felt bad for Gerald Green.

His Bday cake one was actually really good...don't know why people didn't like it.

anakha
02-17-2008, 10:17 AM

His Bday cake one was actually really good...don't know why people didn't like it.

One whole year of hearing how Howard was robbed previously didn't help. :lol

mowgli
02-17-2008, 10:23 AM
The Birthday Cake was the second best dunk of the night. That should have been 10s all around.

1Parker1
02-17-2008, 10:25 AM
The Birthday Cake was the second best dunk of the night. That should have been 10s all around.

:lmao Seriously...can't believe someone gave him an 8 for that!

His shoe-less one was good too, people don't realize how hard that is to actually do....

You knew though that Howard was gonna win it this year, especially after listening to everyone bitch that he was robbed last year :lol

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 11:03 AM

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, but this held means to hold, to touch the rim. I don't know how you would consider another way of doing it. So before bragging, read carefully. That's why your definition never failed to mention "held" and "rim".Above the rim != over the rim. He released the shot above the rim.

Apparently this is rocket science for some.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
His shoe-less one was good too, people don't realize how hard that is to actually do....You sound like you've been trying to practice it. :p:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Barkley was funny and correct when he said the kid needed to get more playing time in Minnesota, and how he had too much time on his hands what with the ladders and junk. :lmao

Green disrespected Dawkins by leaving his shoes there. As if Dawkins wants his scrub-ass shoes. The best option for Green was to give to a fan himself. (If I am not mistaken, Green is the same idiot who is demanding a trade from the T-wolves with his 5ppg).

I noticed he took off and signed his shoes on the table, but I didn't realize he gave it to Dr. J and the other judge, I thought he was signing it for a fan or something, only later did the camera show them knocked them off from the judges table. What a lame kid. :lol

Seemed like he was the only one taking the dunk contest seriously, since he wasn't very enthusiastic with his competitors dunk while everyone else was jumping in the building.

Hillcrest
02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Is Howard's "super man dunk" considered as a dunk?

I think he didn't even touch the rim on that one. Fortunately for him the crowd was going crazy over his superman costume that they hardly looked over his dunk. I think he should be disqualified for that. Green got rob of the trophy.

you don't have to touch the rim to dunk...that's absurd.

Hillcrest
02-17-2008, 11:20 AM

just for the idea?

anyone could do pull that dunk off.

JamStone
02-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Shaq is in the lane 3 feet away from the rim shoots a lazy baby hook where his hand is above the rim and he's shooting the hook downward. His hand is a foot away from the rim and never touches the rim. He's shooting the ball down through the hoop. His hand is above the rim. Dunk?

MarCowMar
02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I felt so sorry for Green. Everyone knew Howard won it but we had to sit there for ten minutes finalizing it.

I agree the birthday cake dunk was the second best of the night. My favorite was Howard's bounce-it-off-the-backboard-with-one-hand-and-dunk-it-with-the-other. Very much an NBA Jam style dunk, as the announcers said. :)

Shelly
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Very impressive, but if was able to take a bite out of the cupcake while dunking, he would have had all tens! :p:

Dwight deserved to win.

TwoHandJam
02-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Shaq is in the lane 3 feet away from the rim shoots a lazy baby hook where his hand is above the rim and he's shooting the hook downward. His hand is a foot away from the rim and never touches the rim. He's shooting the ball down through the hoop. His hand is above the rim. Dunk?
Trick question! Shaq can't get his hands above the rim anymore... unless there's a twinkie at the back of the rim... then maybe.

:p:

YoMamaIsCallin
02-17-2008, 01:08 PM
After this post, it's over (as Kenny Smith says).

Quit arguing about dictionary definitions of a dunk. What Howard did extended the definition of dunking. To get up so high and be so accurate that you can throw the ball downwards from a couple of feet away and have it go in the basket is A New Kind Of Dunking. To be known from here on as ANKOD.

Also, minor point, but let me regulate this too: There is no such thing as "hanging in the air" or "staying up longer". The arc of the player's center of mass on a leap is completely determined by the velocity and acceleration imparted by the initial thrust off the floor. The reason Dwight Howard seems to stay up longer is (a) his initial thrust is big and (b) his center of mass is higher than other players because he's tall and has a lot of mass above the waist.

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKkVzaM-L_k

this is for all the people who think D Ho was the first to dunk it from behind the backboard

Road Warrior
02-17-2008, 01:23 PM
:lol Who gives a shit? It was entertaining and thats what the whole point of this weekend is. Everybody getting their panties all in a bunch over this is hilarious. LET IT GO!

YoMamaIsCallin
02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
this is for all the people who think D Ho was the first to dunk it from behind the backboard

I'd forgotten about that. I think you're right.

However Howard's dunk was quite a bit better, in that he threw the ball to himself off the backboard and came from directly behind the backboard from a standstill with only two steps. Andre had a full running start, and he did it from an angle, not directly behind the backboard, and he didn't have to toss the ball up.

CharlieMac
02-17-2008, 01:41 PM
He makes me think of a young DRob .

Crookshanks
02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Something I think people are forgetting is that part of the scoring is the reaction of the crowd. EVERYONE was on their feet jumping up and down after the Superman dunk! I mean, did you see Kobe's reaction - it was great!

Holt's Cat
02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Who gives a shit? It was awesome.

Crookshanks
02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Who gives a shit? It was awesome.
Exactly! The whole purpose of the dunk contest is to ENTERTAIN - and that's exactly what Dwight Howard did! He definately deserved to win.

Horry For 3!
02-17-2008, 02:15 PM
It wasn't a "dunk" but it was still pretty damn nice.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Above the rim != over the rim. He released the shot above the rim.

Apparently this is rocket science for some.

Again not reading...The words held above the rim was preceded by "with one or both hands". It means that upon thrusting the ball into the basket at least one or both of your hand would have held the rim. It doesn't pertain to the thrust but to the hands.

If your own definition doesn't help you, maybe you should get another. I won't argue with that. But even a little girl knows what a dunk look like.

Stop being sentimental about Howard's win and be rational. Before, the contest, all prior contestant (way back from ABA days) held the rim . So why change now??

I'm not saying that he didn't deserve it, he made other dunks and he might have finished the superman dunk on the second try. But for the league to disregard that fully is unfair. I'm not routing for green or any other contestant. Like all other fans, I'm just here to enjoy the show.

The only thing that made this discussion long is the irrationality that comes from some persons that claim that it was a dunk. When Dr. J and chamberlain made dunks in the old days the touching of the rim gave it a distinction from the other shots. And this distinction- in my view- was never erased by one error.

Don't lose sleep over this...

E20
02-17-2008, 02:29 PM

That wasn't a dunk man, face the facts.

Most of the layups in teh playstation skills challenge were above the rim and those were considered layups not dunks.

E20
02-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Ask 100 people in NYC or someother city and they will all agree for it to be considered a dunk the guy has to slam it through the rim with his hands.

E20
02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Technically speaking though Shoog is right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam_dunk

Main Entry: dunk shot
Function: noun
Date: circa 1961
: a shot in basketball made by jumping high into the air and throwing the ball down through the basket

:lol

Deimosfobos
02-17-2008, 02:57 PM

: a shot in basketball made by jumping high into the air and throwing the ball down through the basket

I think it was a Dunk... just not the "dunk" people have in mind.

Anyways... it was amazing and a great Dunk contest, who care about the rest?

MajicMan
02-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Wrong, the rule of thumb has been for some time now that you jam the ball through with your hand. You can look any word up in a dictionary and contradict it. Just like the "N" word used to have a different meaning in the dictionary 50 years ago and not only until recently it was changed to a slang racial term but it was already known and used as a slang racial term. Definitions change over time. It ain't no dunk.

MannyIsGod
02-17-2008, 03:05 PM
What the fuck. Man this is the most anal thread I've ever seen in my life. Genome is obviously from a very diluted gene pool.

txstr1986
02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
It was a throw down, but the dunk contest should be all about showmanship and entertainment value. Its been going down the crapper these past few years and Superman just singlehandidly brought it back. Props to him for his creativity, talent, and amazing natural athleticism. So yeah, Dwight deserved the trophy.

Extra Stout
02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
The people who have been arguing about the semantics on a freaking slam dunk contest should never be permitted to have sex ever again.

nkdlunch
02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
that was not a real dunk.

He is a great entertainer/clown but he is no great dunker.

I miss JRichardson, he was the best dunker in the last 10 years

Extra Stout
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
i don't think having to obtain permission is what's stopping them
:fro

hater
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
So you are telling me that everytime I throw a piece of garbage into the trashcan I am dunking??

WOW :rolleyes

if you don't touch the rim with your hand, you are not dunking.

Deimosfobos
02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
So you are telling me that everytime I throw a piece of garbage into the trashcan I am dunking??

Why is your trashcan so high in the air?? Thats thats stupid...

jmard5
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
If a 7 footer shoots a baby hook in the lane where his hand is above the height of the rim but doesn't come close to touching the rim, would most people consider that a dunk?

Could it be because that a hook has a soft arc after releasing the ball whereas a dunk has more or less a forced straight downward path toward the basket?

jmard5
02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
i thought the term dunk came from the action of "dunking" the ball, like dunking a donut in coffee

But you don't hold normally hold the edge of the cup, do you? :lol

Normally, you just flush the donut into the coffee.

:lol at this thread. I still consider Howard's shot as a dunk for entertainment, creativity and showmanship purposes.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
What the fuck. Man this is the most anal thread I've ever seen in my life. Genome is obviously from a very diluted gene pool.

And you obviously has some big insecurity. You have to downgrade people just to make you feel your better/ smarter than everyone else. If you don't want to the topic then don't post anything - no one is forcing you. You don't need to say anything against anyone.

But you must admit, I got everyone's machine running over a (practically) simple question - that became complicated because of Howard's "dunk/throw". And please, I made no claim that what he did isn't great -I just posted a question and the effect of the league's negligence.

If Howard's dunk is really a dunk - why is there a persistent question on people's mind that it maybe not. Don't you think that the fact that the people get to think twice about something - may give some credit to an argument - otherwise it would have generally been accepted as FALSE/CRAZY.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM

The argument is pretty much all over the NBA internets; don't feel too bad about it.

Allanon
02-17-2008, 11:54 PM
There's no definition of a dunk that says you have to touch the rim.
Nobody says how close you have to be either.

And what's the difference between a throwdown and a dunk? Have you ever had a throwdown that wasn't a dunk?

Dictionaries across the Internets say: 1) Your hand has to be above the rim and 2) you have to throw it into the basket....that's it...

He did both, so it's a dunk. People question it because they've never seen a dunk from 3 feet away.

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM

The argument is pretty much all over the NBA internets; don't feel too bad about it.

In truth, I'm not pissed about it. I just don't like those people making bad comments on others - thinking that their thoughts is better that everyone else - therefore should be accepted Oh so Blindly. :spin :spin :spin

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 12:50 AM
And you obviously has some big insecurity. You have to downgrade people just to make you feel your better/ smarter than everyone else. If you don't want to the topic then don't post anything - no one is forcing you. You don't need to say anything against anyone.

But you must admit, I got everyone's machine running over a (practically) simple question - that became complicated because of Howard's "dunk/throw". And please, I made no claim that what he did isn't great -I just posted a question and the effect of the league's negligence.

If Howard's dunk is really a dunk - why is there a persistent question on people's mind that it maybe not. Don't you think that the fact that the people get to think twice about something - may give some credit to an argument - otherwise it would have generally been accepted as FALSE/CRAZY.Anal dude, Anal.

E20
02-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I one time actually dunked my balls in toilet water, but it was on accident. I was rushing to take a shit that I plopped on the toilet seat so fast that half of my balls were submerged in toilet water.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Anal dude, Anal.

just as I thought...empty inside :reading :reading

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:48 AM
just as I thought...empty inside :reading :readingIs that you reading a book on how to ANALyze the dunk contest?

I'll give you a hint, when you go "Holy shit how did he do that" it means someone is going to win. It doesn't require a scientific committe to convene and decide just what is a dunk.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Oh, and in case you forgot, I think you're fucking anal.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm reading cause your boring...

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm reading cause your boring...Oh really? I really thought you could have found a way to dissect my posts in several paragraphs when my initial post was a mere sentence.

Oh wait, you did that above.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gif

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:55 AM
A more interesting poll would be whether genome has ever had sex. Hell, we don't even require that he hold onto the rim for it to count.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Oh really? I really thought you could have found a way to dissect my posts in several paragraphs when my initial post was a mere sentence.

Oh wait, you did that above.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/reading.gif

Too much hate...let me guess ...nobody loves you. Don't need to go deep to see what kind of person you are.

anakha
02-18-2008, 01:57 AM
A more interesting poll would be whether genome has ever had sex. Hell, we don't even require that he hold onto the rim for it to count.

Can we avoid combining sex topics and references to rims, please?

Baaaaad mental image :lol

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:58 AM

Looks like a hit the spot. You're going crazy over there. Sorry if a hit a nerve, calm down before you have a stroke.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Too much hate...let me guess ...nobody loves you. Don't need to go deep to see what kind of person you are.http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2004/finale/interactive/gallery.fraiser/1frasier.crane.jpg

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Looks like a hit the spot. You're going crazy over there. Sorry if a hit a nerve, calm down before you have a stroke.LOL WTF are you talking about? You're the one who can't enjoy a great dunk. How am I the one who's in danger of a stroke?

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Manny isn't God after all. How can a freak burst his bubble. Mannyis God is short for I need respect and i need to pretend that I am God to do it. How about that for a poor radio announcer?

Your insecurity is off the roof. Let me help you...

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:07 AM
unfortunately for you I did enjoy it. I enjoyed it so much that I had the time to analyze that it wasn't a dunk.

You on the other hand did nothing but to insult people. You better get a hobby my friend.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I have one. Its insulting people!

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Manny isn't God after all. How can a freak burst his bubble. Mannyis God is short for I need respect and i need to pretend that I am God to do it. How about that for a poor radio announcer?

Your insecurity is off the roof. Let me help you...Is English your second language or are you drunk?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 02:15 AM
I have one. Its insulting people!

I don't really care about the shouting match this thread has turned into, but I have to admit, I laughed when I read that.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Figures. No intelligent answer...no contructive hobby...loser. You can post your shit here and I no longer care. it's time to move on.

Get a shrink - your beyond redemption.

PS: get a hug...

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm actually gonna get a BJ instead. Hugs are so 80s.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:19 AM
You didn't get one when your little. Good thing you had BJ when you were 3.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
......ok

mikejones99
02-18-2008, 02:23 AM
goddam howard is not a fuckin spur, but he gonna have to pay that bitch about 60 million

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:23 AM
own you...

Slippy
02-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Discussed this with few of the guys at the gym today. They all loved the way it looked, they all think Dwight Howard is great and were all willing to look pass the fact that it was no dunk.

ancestron
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
What is the dunk contest coming too. You dont' even have to dunk it anymore. Ladders, superman capes, cupcakes, toy backboard props....stupid.
Gerald Green's dunks were more impressive to me than Howards. Dwight howard just gets all the hype, you knew before they even started he was going to win.

manufor3
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Green needed to show more excitement after his dunks. He practically gave up.

Holmes_Fans
02-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Anyone who can jump above an inch of the rim and drop it would qualify as a dunk. Go get a dictionary while your at it.
dunk

noun
1. a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket

dictionary.com

jmard5
02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
What is the dunk contest coming too. You dont' even have to dunk it anymore. Ladders, superman capes, cupcakes, toy backboard props....stupid.
Gerald Green's dunks were more impressive to me than Howards. Dwight howard just gets all the hype, you knew before they even started he was going to win.

You mean to say the dunk contest in the recent years? They were almost flat. Same old. Same old. When was the last time the crowd was "into it" in a dunk competition?

Ok, how was it that Green's dunks were more impressive than that of Howard's, outside of his Superman dunk?

ancestron
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm just syaing I thought they were more impressive, simply because Gerald Green is shorter, and his "no shoes" dunk didn't go over as well as I thought it would have. Not trying to take anything away frmo Howard, he is amazing, I just thought Green's dunks didn't get the credit they deserved, and personally I liked them better.

Holmes_Fans
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Ok, how was it that Green's dunks were more impressive than that of Howard's, outside of his Superman dunk?
They weren't, take away the superman and replace it with something else and he still wins. People are forgetting he had 3 other dunks that were probably all better

peewee's lovechild
02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
That bullshit was not a dunk.

How any of you can say it's a dunk is just ridiculous.

peewee's lovechild
02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm just waiting for DC Comics or WB to sue Howard and the NBA for copyright infingement.

Hemotivo
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Greatest layup in the history of the dunk contest
:toast

E20
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
After seeing the actual dunk, (I didn't watch any All-star weekend events, except DRob's), I can say that dunk was fucking horrible. Way overrated. :td :td :td, if you think about it there is no way he would have even reached the rim, he was losing momentum had no choice but to throw it. Amusing layup, horrible dunk attempt. If this got a 50, a dunk from the FT line should have gotten a 1000. I was agreeign with what the the people were sayingon 1st Down or whatever that show is called on ESPN today.

Holmes_Fans
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
dunk

noun
1. a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket

www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

Main Entry:
dunk shot
Function:
noun
Date:
circa 1961

www.merriam-webster.com (http://www.merriam-webster.com)

howards dunk confirmed

E20
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
dunk

noun

www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

Main Entry:
dunk shot
Function:
noun
Date:
circa 1961

www.merriam-webster.com (http://www.merriam-webster.com)

howards dunk confirmed
Old news I already posted that in this thread. I thought it shouldn't recieve any of the accolades it is recieving. Wow, a 6-11 guy "DUNKED" from 3 feet past the FT line. :clap Shows how much his vertical is. Also an arguement can be made by downward. Howards dunk was not straight downard, it was arced/slanted throwdown. Those defintions are vague as well, a shot in which the ball is propelled downward throught the basket? That is every shot.

hater
02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
There's no definition of a dunk that says you have to touch the rim.
Nobody says how close you have to be either.

there is also no definition that says you cannot be on top of a ladder when you dunk. It's common sense. and that was not a dunk

E20
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
rp__vGs3fa8

People will say I am anal about this, but WTF cares, it's a fuckign message board, I'm anal about everything.

But look at that, look how far away he is from the rim when he releases the ball, at best that is a tear drop on steriods. He was not reaching the rim on that attempt. On a side note, his behind the backboard and tip to himself while in the air dunks were pretty good and 1000X better than this.

hater
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
it looked cool but also a clown coming out of a tiny firetruck looks cool, does not mean the clown should win the dunk contest.

SlovenianGuy
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
It's just annoying that people can not read.

There were at least 10 definitions from all different sources and none of them (except wikipedia, which can be changed in a minute) mentions grabbing the rim.

Slam dunk contest is about doing something special and I don't know what can be more special than a dunk from 3 feet away of the basket.

hater
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
There were at least 10 definitions from all different sources and none of them (except wikipedia, which can be changed in a minute) mentions grabbing the rim.

do any of them mention that you cannot be on top of a ladder? Nope.

cornbread
02-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I can't believe all of the bitching going on in this thread...over one dunk.

I hear the Birdie Man himself is coming back from suspension next season. Maybe he'll enter the Dunk Contest again. Give you something to really bitch about.

peewee's lovechild
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Slam dunk contest is about doing something special and I don't know what can be more special than a dunk from 3 feet away of the basket.

Tell me something . . . when you dunk your dounguts into your coffee, do you throw your doughnuts into your coffee?

Just a question.

hater
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I can't believe all of the bitching going on in this thread...over one dunk.

I hear the Birdie Man himself is coming back from suspension next season. Maybe he'll enter the Dunk Contest again. Give you something to really bitch about.

FYI, you are bitching about bitching

Obstructed_View
02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
So who are they going to screw next year in order to give the contest to the rightful winner from this year? Maybe Andre Iguodala should enter next year to get the trophy he should have won a couple of years ago.

cornbread
02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
FYI, you are bitching about bitching
It's a vicious cycle, isn't it?

Fernando TD21
02-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I can't believe we are still talking about Howard's throw down. :downspin:

SlovenianGuy
02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
do any of them mention that you cannot be on top of a ladder? Nope.

YES!

Rule No. 2 -- Officials and their Duties
Section I-The Game Officials
d. All equipment used must be appropriate for basketball. Equipment that is unnatural and designed to increase a player's height or reach, or to gain an advantage, shall not be used.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_2.html?nav=ArticleList

I know that basketball rules don't apply to slam dunk contest (altough i think they should). For this reason I'm sure the player wouldn't be disqualified for using a ladder. However I doubt the judges would be impressed if someone had to climb a ladder to dunk the ball.

E20
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Is that you reading a book on how to ANALyze the dunk contest?

I'll give you a hint, when you go "Holy shit how did he do that" it means someone is going to win. It doesn't require a scientific committe to convene and decide just what is a dunk.
What was so speacial about Howards dunk though? Besides wearing a XXX-Small superman outfit.

manubili
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
It was a bad pass. It's amazing he could reach the grimm anyway.

It was not a dunk, but it was pretty amazing thou.

Budkin
02-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Howard got robbed last year so it was good to see him win this one.

Slippy
02-19-2008, 05:23 AM
IF we are to go by the dictionary... all these years when im like an inch away from the rim , "throwing it down. " sometimes over peoples faces, that was a dunk. :wow Im your regular Spud Webb.

sribb43
02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
it wasnt a dunk, it was a throw. now if he would have dunk it from there then it would have been the best dunk ever....that "Throw" as I call it is so overated

genomefreak13
02-20-2008, 12:12 AM
YES!

Rule No. 2 -- Officials and their Duties
Section I-The Game Officials
d. All equipment used must be appropriate for basketball. Equipment that is unnatural and designed to increase a player's height or reach, or to gain an advantage, shall not be used.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_2.html?nav=ArticleList

Could you find the definition "dunk" in the rule book as well? For all the people asserting all kinds of definitions from the net, all I have to say to you is its all worthless.

Since this is the NBA slamdunk contest, all that matters is what the NBA rules say about a dunk. So if you're going to pursue an argument with a definition, better find the one sanctioned by NBA rules. All person can make definition and this definition may be acceptable to some but not necessarily to all basketball leagues.

Without this consensus definition we will all be talking shit here. Most would be arguing out of context. I don't proclaim that I know it all, but I know what a dunk looks like . If Howard's dunk was really a dunk, why is there doubts? why the second thoughts about it. A consensus would have been easily achieved.

Lesson learned: when there is doubt you should not blindly commit to an idea (that it's a dunk).