PDA

View Full Version : Back to business: Spurs' second half

lefty
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
First of all, Spurs won't trade; won't happen.

Also, please keep in mind that I haven't watched a lot of Spurs games this season, so if you don't agree on some points, please don't be rude :D

A few observations:

- Manu Ginobili: Manu has been fantastic so far, but he's starting to fall in love with the 3 pointer; sure, he can hit them, as it was the case in his big game in Cleveland, but he was really in the zone that night; my point is that Manu should not forget that his 1st priority is to attack the rim, as he's one of the best slashers in the NBA, fearless and creative. Plus, being abused phisically usually gets him started.
Remember when he had back-to-back 37 pts games, helping his team beat Dallas and Utah without Duncan? He was attacking the rim like his life was depending on it, and he has to keep doing this. It's really annoying when he has the possibility to go to the rim, but instead takes step back 3's.

- Tim Duncan: Duncan's numbers are approxiamtively what they were last season; come playoffs time, they will increase; no need to write a book here, you know how he contributes to his team's success

- The injuries: I know everybody is talking about Parker's injury, but the truth is that we are missing BOTH Parker and Barry
We've been forced to change the way we play because we were missing TP's penetrations; his presence changes everything : he can finish inside as he is fast, fearless and a great finisher around the basket; plus he can hit the midrange J, which makes the opposite teams think twice before double teaming Tim; recently, opponents like the Suns have left Jacques Vaughn open, but he has been able to make the defense pay (thumbs up).
Speaking of Jacques, he's been excellent; I don't know if he wanted to prove something to Pop following Damon's signing, or if it's the "heart of a champion" thing, but he stepped up. He is limited, but competitive.
Spurs have signed Damon Stoudamire; overall, Damon has been very good, considering he hasn't played for months and that he's had to adjust to a new system and perform during Parker's absence. His defense is average, but his experience and outside shooting are a plus.
Brent Barry had a very good stretch before his injury; it's really unfortunate because he got injured just when started to pick it up. Barry really opens things up for us; he's by far our best 3 point shooter, and his basketball IQ, not to mention his passing abilities will be welcomed when he comes back.

- Cisco and Oberto: Oberto has been himself: average stats, crafty, smart, moves well without the ball.
I'm really concerned with Elson; during the preseason, he showed some good things: good outside shooting, blocked shots; however, he has disapperead; he has to step up, or he will become Pop's new Beno.

- Horry: meeeeh....see you in the playoffs.

- Finley: nothing spectacular, but Finley has hit some big shots for us (in Phoenix, in New York); I have no doubt in my mind Finley will be ready for the playoffs; he is motivated.

- Bowen and Udoka: Bowen had a great start, especially on the defensive end, but since, he's been so-so (however, when I saw him hit that clutch midrange J in Phoenix, it was evident Bowen wasn't ready to give up his ring); don't forget Bowen is 36, but the man takes care of his body and he's the iron man of the NBA; Bowen is the ultimate pro and he will step up in the second half; Pop is trying to rest as much as he can, so he'll enter the playoffs with fresh legs; which leads me to Ime Udoka.
Udoka is a great addition; he is a Bowen type of player, only younger (30), bigger and better at attacking the rim. He can also hit the open 3; Udoka had no problem fitting in the Spurs' system; Pop has waited a (relatively) long time before giving him more minutes, but Ime is one of those players who'll be ready when called upon, no matter how many minutes they get. Ime is also a tough guy, and I like that.

Bonner: not bad, but could bring more.

Popovich: once again, Pop has been trying different lineups, which he won't do after the ASG; however, keep in mind that Pop has to deal with:

- injuries
- a tougher Western Conference
- an aging team (so he's trying to keep his key "old" players on the bench as much as he can, and that's not easy when you have to win games)

Considering all this, I think he's done a great job coaching; Pop knows how to adjust, like when Vaughn is not able to hit the open J, he draws backdoor plays for him when Duncan is double-teamed.

The big question for Pop: when TP comes back, who'll be his backup? JV or DS? or he'll put those 2 together on the court?

My thoughts for the 2nd half:

Yes, we're 6 in the West, but considering the injuries the averagae age, considering the fact that we have newcomers, and considering the West has gotten tougher, it's not that bad.
With Parker and Barry back, and with Pop figuring out the definitive lineups, Spurs will heat up once again.

peskypesky
02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Considering all the injuries, the age of the team, and the fact that they're playing with a bulls-eye on their backs, the Spurs are not doing badly.

I still think they can repeat, but that assumes that Parker will come back and be able to play without pain. Without him, I'm not sure if the Spurs will make it through the West.

Speaking of the West, we'll have to wait and see whether the Shaq trade helps or hurts Phoenix, and Kobe's finger may dampen the Lakers' attack. Dallas's fate is in the air, so we'll have to wait and see if they get Kidd or not.

SenorSpur
02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
While we're all displeased with the manner in which the Spurs have lost games during that terrible stretch, you've got to admit that 38-17 is not a bad record at this point. The good news is that there are only 4 games that virtually separate the top seed (New Orleans) and the 8th seed.

Meanwhile, there are a ton of home games coming up. That, along with the continued improvement of Udoka and Stoudamire, the recent addition of Kurt Thomas, and the possible return of Barry and the Spurs should be in good shape to finish strong and make their usual championship run.

polandprzem
02-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I wonder how will Lakers, jazz, nuggs, NO and pho with new addition will go.
Probably phoenix will stay at the same level. LA and Jazz will go up while Nuggs and NO can go either way. How the spurs react to loaded west?

Hopefully Pop won't be trying to do too much in a meaning that the spurs go 'max' after the break.

As for Manu - yup he was realy fantastic in some games but still inconsistent. If he will be healthy come playoff time he will produce only because he is a warrior. Slashing ability is the most important in NBA today (probably). Esp. for the spurs offense is critical as we've got only manu and TP who can break out inside.

TP - big IF

froncourters - I don't know about Horry. Damn he will be outrun by younger players. Elson is a sad story and we have nobody to help taking ball of the boards.

Bowen got to find his shot, Udoka must keep an improvenment in the system.
Findog got to hit when barry will be back.
Barry need to be back.

JV, DS?
vaughn was longer as a spur and Pop likes when player knows what is going on. He want's everything under control more then teach in important games.

Good luck, belive and all that stuff.

td4mvp21
02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm guessing Pop told Manu not to go balls out and drive every game, just because of the wear and tear it causes him. He's got to be saving it for the playoffs. A player that is one of the best slashers in the game doesn't just forget how to drive.

lefty
02-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm guessing Pop told Manu not to go balls out and drive every game, just because of the wear and tear it causes him. He's got to be saving it for the playoffs. A player that is one of the best slashers in the game doesn't just forget how to drive.

Yes, but during the 2007 playoffs, he took to many stepback 3's when he had the possibility to slash

td4mvp21
02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, but during the 2007 playoffs, he took to many stepback 3's when he had the possibility to slash

I guess, but you have to remember every team we played clogged the paint against us. He drove when he could and I guess that's all we can ask.

lefty
02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I guess, but you have to remember every team we played clogged the paint against us. He drove when he could and I guess that's all we can ask.

Anyway, Manu is Manu, and he's so competitive it doesn't matter: he always finds a way

loveforthegame
02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
As long as the big 4 are healthy and they get some decent contributions from Finley, Stoudamire or Vaughn, Oberto, and Horry it's hard to bet against the Spurs. Barry should be added but I wonder about his health once he returns.

I don't expect a trade but surely the Spurs FO is as concerned about Elson and Bonner as we are.

TMTTRIO
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Wasn't there an article that said that they wanted Manu to focus more on his jumpshooting so that it prevents a lot of that wear and tear on his body? I know Manu has said that he wants to play for a long time and that he was trying to work on his jumpshot to be able to do it. Hey he has a season high 3 pt % right now at 41%. I have no doubt that when a game is on the line or when the playoffs come, Manu will start driving to the basket more. Besides Manu's not getting the calls that he used to.

lefty
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Wasn't there an article that said that they wanted Manu to focus more on his jumpshooting so that it prevents a lot of that wear and tear on his body? I know Manu has said that he wants to play for a long time and that he was trying to work on his jumpshot to be able to do it. Hey he has a season high 3 pt % right now at 41%. I have no doubt that when a game is on the line or when the playoffs come, Manu will start driving to the basket more. Besides Manu's not getting the calls that he used to.

Interesting :tu

Allanon
02-18-2008, 12:20 AM
When TPark and (if) Barry come back, will Manu be a starter or a super-sub?

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 12:48 AM

Maybe Manu realized that to be able a great player he has to be unpredictable and efficient. I don't think Pop didn't give the go on this. By Pop's reputation, I wouldn't think that he would let Manu loose unless he wants to. Every game is an adjustment, and maybe that's what the game (and Pop) required of Manu.

Overall, it's great to see Ginobili get the job done and do what is required/expected of him.

remingtonbo2001
02-18-2008, 01:02 AM
When TPark and (if) Barry come back, will Manu be a starter or a super-sub?

Good question...I'm not even sure Pop has the rotations set.

I think Manu will end up going back to bench once everyone is back and settled in.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 01:06 AM
If Manu perfects his fadeaway mid-range jumper :wow

and continues to make his 3 ball money (like at the start of the season) that'll be handy come playoffs.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Good question...I'm not even sure Pop has the rotations set.

I think Manu will end up going back to bench once everyone is back and settled in.
I don't know if Pop would be so quick to do that until we started to had some edge against the rest of the West in the seedings.
With Parker easing himself back from injury, I think Tim and Manu still might be playing a little over their regular minutes still and Manu might get a couple more starting games depending on the opponent. Especially since Finley has been doing great off the bench.

Slippy
02-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Again, i want to re-iterate Manu has had to make a real tough adjustment this season in the NBA. He's not used to all the extra attention and mins he getting. Something that hasn't been the case as much when it's the big 3 instead of the big 2... Or in the past when he usually left the elevating of his game to the play-offs.

I gotta admit i don't like the step-back in your face 3's or some shots he may force but alongside Tim he's our best player/scorer and with-out his sidekick Tony it's even harder to score inside. Plus he's proving he can make those and in the long run that will force opposing teams to adjust. Having entire defenses focused on shutting down your attacking lanes means his jumper takes on more importance. What has also impressed me is how well he is now reading the defenses he getting and in dealing with it. If teams choose to double or triple team him then he'll burn you by getting others involved. We all have to give him credit for making that adjustment and learning on the fly considering this is kind of new to him. These sort of things don't happen overnight but it sure is happening.

As Timvp pointed out in one of his previous game-thoughts it should give us all a lot of confidence going into second half of the season and the play-offs.

SAGambler
02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
- Manu Ginobili: Manu has been fantastic so far, but he's starting to fall in love with the 3 pointer; sure, he can hit them, as it was the case in his big game in Cleveland, but he was really in the zone that night; my point is that Manu should not forget that his 1st priority is to attack the rim, as he's one of the best slashers in the NBA, fearless and creative. Plus, being abused phisically usually gets him started.
Remember when he had back-to-back 37 pts games, helping his team beat Dallas and Utah without Duncan? He was attacking the rim like his life was depending on it, and he has to keep doing this. It's really annoying when he has the possibility to go to the rim, but instead takes step back 3's.

I'm with the group that says Pop has told him to ease up on the driving. With Tony sitting, if Manu gets hurt, we are screwed. Those drives that have earned him the "El Contusion" moniker, could cost us big time right now. And as long as he is hitting the step back 3 consistently, let him shoot from there. Saves a lot of wear and tear on his body. And we want Manu healthy come playoff time.

lefty
02-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm with the group that says Pop has told him to ease up on the driving. With Tony sitting, if Manu gets hurt, we are screwed. Those drives that have earned him the "El Contusion" moniker, could cost us big time right now. And as long as he is hitting the step back 3 consistently, let him shoot from there. Saves a lot of wear and tear on his body. And we want Manu healthy come playoff time.

It's possible Pop told him to ease up on the slashing.

When I think about it now, I think it's a good idea to take those 3's.
I don't want him to get hurt either.

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm very excited to see if the Spurs make a trade. I have a good feeeling they will. We'll see. The Spurs are doing fine sitting on a record of 34-17. Tim Duncan has been very good lately. Manu has been too. I hope Parker can return to 100%. If he does, the Spurs will be there in the end.

lefty
02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm very excited to see if the Spurs make a trade. I have a good feeeling they will. We'll see. The Spurs are doing fine sitting on a record of 34-17. Tim Duncan has been very good lately. Manu has been too. I hope Parker can return to 100%. If he does, the Spurs will be there in the end.

Won't happen

SequSpur
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Spurs need a different big, just to fuck up the competition. Not necessarily to do anything but to bring a different look.

when tony parker gets back, the frickin rest of the nba is over. late.

lefty
02-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Spurs need a different big, just to fuck up the competition. Not necessarily to do anything but to bring a different look.

when tony parker gets back, the frickin rest of the nba is over. late.

+1

lefty
02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
So we start our second half with a win and a trade.

Now let's win that championship !! :elephant

lefty
02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Spurs ownage...

Back to back ! Yeah, YEAH !

And you know that