02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Calvin Booth.

Findog
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm James Donaldson, bitch!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1253/831020979_4ee813668a.jpg

endrity
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Fazekas is called back, and anyway Avery has decided to play Bass so there won't be need for one much.

The only series where I see a backup C needed is against the spurs.

Dirk owns Gasol in the NBA and Eurobasket competitions. Damp against Bynum is a matchup I can live with.
Damp played Shaq to standstill in 06, so it will be a battle of who is a worse defender, Dirk or Amare.

Amarelooms
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Fazekas is called back, and anyway Avery has decided to play Bass so there won't be need for one much.

The only series where I see a backup C needed is against the spurs.

Dirk owns Gasol in the NBA and Eurobasket competitions. Damp against Bynum is a matchup I can live with.
Damp played Shaq to standstill in 06, so it will be a battle of who is a worse defender, Dirk or Amare.

Earth to moron...Damp is foul prone you need a back-up big man. Lakers have Bynum and Gasol. Suns have Amare and Shaq. NEED A BIG MAN :elephant

endrity
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know where you get this idea that he is foul prone. He has played a lot of minutes this year even against some of the toughest centers out there. With the exception of Duncan, no one will get him consistantly in foul trouble.

Findog
02-17-2008, 09:19 PM
I would like to think that the Mavs have had a contigency plan in place for losing Diop. Diop is a useful player for a backup C, but there are others. Kurt Thomas is probably a pipe dream. We have nothing I can think of to interest them when he has an $8 million salary coming off the books this summer.

Right now, you're looking at Dampier for 30 minutes a game, Dirk for another ten, then the awesome duo of Juwan Howard and Malik Allen for the rest.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I would like to think that the Mavs have had a contigency plan in place for losing Diop. Diop is a useful player for a backup C, but there are others. Kurt Thomas is probably a pipe dream. We have nothing I can think of to interest them when he has an $8 million salary coming off the books this summer.

Right now, you're looking at Dampier for 30 minutes a game, Dirk for another ten, then the awesome duo of Juwan Howard and Malik Allen for the rest.

I.e., you're fucked

Findog
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
I.e., you're fucked

I don't think it's impossible to replace Diop's 3 points and 5 boards per 17 mpg. :rolleyes

MWILL
02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
You never know what's going on behind closed doors.
Diop could be the one coming back to Dallas in 30 days.
I wouldn't panic just yet.

picnroll
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Roy Tarpley

hater
02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Bill Wenington could come out of retirement

AFBlue
On Fazekas....

Word is they have to waive someone in order to sign Van Horn. Isn't he the most likely candidate? And can they re-sign him later if they waive him now?

Findog
Looks like Fazekas is getting waived, Antoine Wright is coming in a side deal, and so is Darrell Armstrong.

Bob Lanier
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/record%20the%20candy%20man.jpg

confined
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/record%20the%20candy%20man.jpg
lol

sribb43
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM

I.e., you're fucked

I 2nd that

Brutalis
02-18-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.wizznutzz.com/images/manutebol_mugsy.jpg

mavsfan1000
02-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Mavs are fucked. Diop was what made this a horrible trade for us. Big men are tough to get.

Findog
02-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Mavs are fucked. Diop was what made this a horrible trade for us. Big men are tough to get.

Jesus Christ. Not denying he was a useful player for us, but he never averaged more than 18 minutes a game. That's what Dallas has to replace: 3 points, 5 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in a 7-footer. You make it sound like we lost Ben Wallace in his prime or something.

Findog
02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Kaw Kaw Kaw Kaw:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1266/695150922_0f2c681ac1_o.jpg

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Is Darrel Armstrong back in the deal? I know Stein had him in one of his updates then 30 minutes later he was out of it again.

Good news with Wright going in a 2nd deal is that the Mavs don't have the options to go after Mike Miller or Corey Maggette now.

As for the possibility of Diop returning to Dallas if the Nets waive him? I doubt it after reading his comments right after the first trade fell through.

fyatuk
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
On Fazekas....

Word is they have to waive someone in order to sign Van Horn. Isn't he the most likely candidate? And can they re-sign him later if they waive him now?

There's no problem with that, even re-signing immediately if they waive someone else. There's not even the 30 day wait on that, just have to wait for him to clear the waiver line.

Unless of course they have the agreement before they waive him :lol

mavsfan1000
02-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Jesus Christ. Not denying he was a useful player for us, but he never averaged more than 18 minutes a game. That's what Dallas has to replace: 3 points, 5 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in a 7-footer. You make it sound like we lost Ben Wallace in his prime or something.
Which explains why we are struggling so much defensively this year. Avery went with Bass not knowing how much of a hit it's been defensively and rebounding. Diop is a beast and now we have no backup center. Dampier now has to be careful not to get fouls guarding Duncan, Shaq, Yao, and etc. I guess Cuban will learn the hard way again how important a big man is. 2003-04 season wasn't enough.

Findog
02-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Which explains why we are struggling so much defensively this year. Avery went with Bass not knowing how much of a hit it's been defensively and rebounding. Diop is a beast and now we have no backup center. Dampier now has to be careful not to get fouls guarding Duncan, Shaq, Yao, and etc. I guess Cuban will learn the hard way again how important a big man is. 2003-04 season wasn't enough.

We have to make up Diop's 18 minutes a game. Juwan Howard and Malik Allen can probably dish out 12 hard fouls between them in that amount of time.

C'mon, you know Avery values defense more than anything else. Coming into this season, Bass was young, green player that never got off the bench in NOLA. If he was going to be useful at all for us in the playoffs, he needed PT to develop. I trust Bass getting meaningful minutes now in the playoffs.

mavsfan1000
02-18-2008, 01:24 AM
We have to make up Diop's 18 minutes a game. Juwan Howard and Malik Allen can probably dish out 12 hard fouls between them in that amount of time.

C'mon, you know Avery values defense more than anything else. Coming into this season, Bass was young, green player that never got off the bench in NOLA. If he was going to be useful at all for us in the playoffs, he needed PT to develop. I trust Bass getting meaningful minutes now in the playoffs.
I'm one of the few people not too fond of Bass's game. He has one of the lowest plus/minuses on the team. His defense and lack of passing have been problems. Everytime he gets the ball, he shoots. I like him at power forward as he gets to play beside a shotblocker but at center, he is a major liability. I don't care how defensive minded Avery is. It hasn't worked with Bass, Van Horn, Croshere, or Juwan Howard at center under Avery.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Trade bass for Elson...quick

Findog
02-18-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm one of the few people not too fond of Bass's game. He has one of the lowest plus/minuses on the team. His defense and lack of passing have been problems. Everytime he gets the ball, he shoots. I like him at power forward as he gets to play beside a shotblocker but at center, he is a major liability. I don't care how defensive minded Avery is. It hasn't worked with Bass, Van Horn, Croshere, or Juwan Howard at center under Avery.

Bass finishes at the rim very well, and he has that reliable jumper from the elbows and the baseline. He'll only be more effective and get better looks with Kidd. If we can bring in a PJ Brown type, someone on Diop's level to back up Dampier, I'll be ecstatic over this trade.

mavsfan1000
02-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Trade bass for Elson...quick
Elson sucks as well. Diop is clearly better than Elson despite Avery not playing him much. The difference is Duncan can play center so that the interior defense isn't as bad as if Dirk had to play center.

monosylab1k
02-18-2008, 10:15 AM
This is hilarious. We're all worried about the lack of a BACKUP CENTER????

Sorry, but no backup center in the league is gonna make more than a minimal difference at best.

Diop is living off of reputation due to a good overtime against Duncan in Game 7. That's it. I drank the Diop Kool-Aid for a while but he's proven me horribly wrong about him. He's got some potential but rarely does better than mediocre.

No championship-level team is going to be derailed by their lack of a backup center.

monosylab1k
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Seriously, did you ever hear "Man the Bulls are FUCKED without Bill Wennington!" or "The Lakers have no shot at a championship without Travis Knight!"

If this team is good enough to win a title, they're good enough regardless of who their backup center is. If they're not good enough to win one, then it still doesn't matter who their backup center is.

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I think the concern for a backup center is more to do with Damp's health and sometimes foul trouble.

A lot of bigs out West.

Shank
02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Mavs wouldn't have made this trade without a plan in place for another center to replace Diop.

At least I hope not.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
The Sonics might be interested in moving Johan Petro....for a backup center, that's a decent option. His skills are somewhat comparable to Diop, he's an okay post defender, he's not as strong but he's a little better offensively. He's a good option for six fouls and 10-15 minutes a game.

stretch
02-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Our struggles are NOT DEFENSIVE. It's all been at the OFFENSIVE end of the floor.

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Is Darrel Armstrong back in the deal? I know Stein had him in one of his updates then 30 minutes later he was out of it again.

Good news with Wright going in a 2nd deal is that the Mavs don't have the options to go after Mike Miller or Corey Maggette now.

As for the possibility of Diop returning to Dallas if the Nets waive him? I doubt it after reading his comments right after the first trade fell through.

What comments were those?

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Mavs have a choice:

Uwe Blab, Loren Meyer or Shawn Bradley. Pick one.

DallasFan
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Seriously, did you ever hear "Man the Bulls are FUCKED without Bill Wennington!" or "The Lakers have no shot at a championship without Travis Knight!"

If this team is good enough to win a title, they're good enough regardless of who their backup center is. If they're not good enough to win one, then it still doesn't matter who their backup center is.

I think you are missing the whole point: intangibles.

A solid backup, or even a decent one, could cause enough frustration to get bad looks or shots against another big man or inside presence. This could give Damp some key rest as well as help if he does get in foul trouble. It's not all just about the points they score, rebounds, etc...it's also called HAVOC!

stretch
02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

A solid backup, or even a decent one, could cause enough frustration to get bad looks or shots against another big man or inside presence. This could give Damp some key rest as well as help if he does get in foul trouble. It's not all just about the points they score, rebounds, etc...it's also called HAVOC!
I agree. But i think that Malik Allen and Juwan Howard have another 12 fouls to give that can serve that purpose just fine. Although, I think that Malik Allen will have a better effect on this team than people are expecting.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 01:35 PM
sorry but a backup center just isn't that important.

Reggie Miller
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I understand Ostertag is available...

stretch
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I understand Ostertag is available...
I'd rather rip my pubes off with a bandage than have that fat fuck on the Mavs.

DallasFan
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
sorry but a backup center just isn't that important.

Not to mention if Damp actually gets injured. We will find out, indeed.

Reggie Miller
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I'd rather rip my pubes off with a bandage than have that fat fuck on the Mavs.

You forgot "worthless," as in "worthless, fat fuck." Who ever heard of a white guy who couldn't hit FTs? (Okay, Chris Dudley aside, who ever heard of a white guy who couldn't make FTs?)

(We need a "sarcasm" emoticon. I'd hate for anyone to actually think I would recommend Ostertag for anything except live target practice.)

Hemotivo
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Popeye Jones or Eric Montross

Bruno
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Nets have waived Magloire. Mavs should try to sign him.

stretch
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I really hope they do. I've been wanting him all along.

Findog
02-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Really? For 15 minutes a game, which is what we were getting from Diop, that'd be great. He can fill that role for us, maybe not as well as Diop, but you're not going to find Wilt Chamberlain on the waiver wire this time of year.

stretch
02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Where did you hear this? I don't see it anywhere...

Bruno
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Where did you hear this? I don't see it anywhere...

http://www.nba.com/nets/news/Jamaal_Magloire_2_22_08.html

stretch
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Neat. Thanks man. Hopefully the Mavs get him.

Findog
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
He has to clear waivers first. If a team with a crappier record than us claims him, we don't get him.

Findog
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Also, presumably Kidd will have some say as to whether or not he can help us.

stretch
02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
He has to clear waivers first. If a team with a crappier record than us claims him, we don't get him.
Yea. But what crappy teams would want him?

Findog
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I dunno, a team still in the East playoff chase, maybe another Western team below us still alive.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Only 2 teams can technically claim Magloire from waivers : Phoenix and Golden State.

Phoenix won't do it for luxury tax reason and I doubt run&gun Warriors are interested in Magloire.

JamStone
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Yea. But what crappy teams would want him?

Not crappy teams, but teams that would have priority over Dallas:

Toronto (his home town), Orlando, Washington, Houston, and Denver.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Not crappy teams, but teams that would have priority over Dallas:

Toronto (his home town), Orlando, Washington, Houston, and Denver.

They can't claim him.

A team can only claim Magloire from waivers if they have a trade exception big enough (at least $4M) of if the team is far enough bellow the cap ($4M ore more).

JamStone
02-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, good info. I didn't know that.

Shank
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Damn...Bruno rocking balls on this. Thanks for the information, good stuff.

I think the rosters from PHX and GS are full and they'd have to drop someone to claim him. If the Suns are really interested in Barry, they wouldn't pursue. And like Bruno said - he'd be an unusual fit in GS.

His release fits everything Dallas has said in the past few days (no trades, waiting for right option to be bought out or waived, using MLE and exception) and it may be more than coincidence that a guy was released from a team that Dallas had been talking to extensively. Seems almost spot on as to what Dallas has been saying as of late.

Agloco
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
How we gonna do this? PJ Brown maybe? Suggestions :elephant

Simple.....

Wait till the Nets cut Diop, then resign him :lol :lol :lol