PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith: Spurs are looking to deal Francisco Elson.

Bruno
02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/02/18/0218sptcolumn.html

NBA trade rumblings as deadline approaches
Kidd trade may be back on; look for Riley to stay active.

SPORTS COMMENTARY: SAM SMITH
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
Monday, February 18, 2008

NEW ORLEANS — While the Dallas Mavericks and New Jersey Nets continue working to restructure the deal involving Jason Kidd — the latest reports are that it's back on — the clock is ticking toward Thursday's trade deadline in the NBA.

There will be activity, and Pat Riley may be in the middle of it again.

Yes, he made that big Shaquille O'Neal trade with Phoenix, which no one thought was possible. (O'Neal's Suns debut, by the way, looks to be Wednesday at home against Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson, the latter of whom Shaq dubbed Benedict Arnold.)

But if you tell me Riley is building a team around Dwyane Wade and Shawn Marion, I tell you that you don't know Riley and you don't know NBA history. Pat "Small Ball" Riley? I don't think so.

The consensus is the Heat will let Marion's deal expire after next season and head for a big man like Elton Brand, a free agent after next season whom Riley tried to recruit as a free agent in 2003.

Riley made his reputation coaching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Los Angeles. He sat out a year and then went to the Knicks to coach Patrick Ewing.

He didn't even get his first Miami suntan before he traded for Alonzo Mourning. Then he swooped in and traded for O'Neal.

Riley needs a big post-up presence, obviously younger than Shaq.

So what about Eddy Curry?

It seems his time in New York is coming to an end. For the first time in a long time, the Knicks could be ready to subtract payroll. With Stephon Marbury entering the last season of his contract, the Knicks actually would be under the salary cap after next season with Curry off their ledger. The expiring contracts of Jason Williams and Ricky Davis could help make that happen.

So the Knights just might get rid of Curry and the team-killing Zach Randolph, who said predictably last week: "What we're doing now ain't working. We need to do something."

What coach other than Riley would believe he could motivate and put Curry in position to succeed?

How much could it possibly cost? Curry is only 25.

Riley isn't patient enough to wait two years for his team to develop, and he needs a big center. Curry could be that player.

Meanwhile on the Mavericks-Nets front, sources say Dallas swingman Trenton Hassell and the retired Keith Van Horn will be plugged into the trade in place of Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George. The Nets may be willing to do that because of Van Horn's expiring contract.

If the NBA approves of the deal, New Jersey would receive young point guard Devin Harris, center DeSagana Diop, guard Maurice Ager, forwards Hassell and Van Horn, two first-round draft picks and $3 million in cash for Kidd and forward Malik Allen.

League insiders say Dallas also has been working the phones for a big man, focusing mostly on Denver's Nene, out after cancer surgery, and Kenyon Martin, a Dallas high school product finally regaining his health after knee operations. Martin is averaging 15.3 points and 7.6 rebounds in seven February games.

But this would only happen if the Kidd deal falls apart, because the Nuggets would want Devin Harris.

Some other possibilities:

The Lakers want a more traditional small forward with shooting range than Lamar Odom. The Wizards' Caron Butler could be that guy.

The Kings are working feverishly to get Ron Artest out of California's capital. The Nuggets and Knicks are the teams most often mentioned.

The Grizzlies' Mike Miller is supposedly headed out — perhaps to Denver. They also will move a point guard, most likely Kyle Lowry, leaving Mike Conley and Javaris Crittendon in Memphis.

The Spurs don't make many major moves, but San Antonio is looking to deal Francisco Elson.

The Rockets would like to be rid of Bonzi Wells.

The SuperSonics have had enough of their French connection and are offering Johan Petro and Mickael Gelabale. Seattle also would like to move Wally Szczerbiak and Damien Wilkins.

The 76ers are offering Gordan Giricek.

The Warriors' Mickael Pietrus wants out.

This column contains material from other wire sources.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
:)

T Park
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll take Szczerbiak and Kurt Thomas for whoever.

Barry, Elson, Bonner, whatever

get that done.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll take Szczerbiak and Kurt Thomas for whoever.

Barry, Elson, Bonner, whatever

get that done.
Dude seriously, no way in hell we're getting Szczerbiak unless he's bought out. The contract is way too fucking huge.

T Park
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Spurs are looking to trade Elson.

The Sky is blue.

The earth is round.

VaSpursFan
02-17-2008, 10:58 PM
i'm surprised bonner wasn't mentioned too since he's also in Pop's dog house.

Bruno
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
The Spurs don't make many major moves, but San Antonio is looking to deal Francisco Elson.

Given Sam Smith record, Spurs have a great chance to make a big deal. :elephant

Findog
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Wally S makes like $12 million a year.

td4mvp21
02-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Given Sam Smith record, Spurs have a great chance to make a big deal. :elephant

Hopefully it's not for Melvin Ely!

hater
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
that is shocking news

T Park
02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Im honestly suprised the Rockets are looking to deal Bonzi.

But again this is Sam smith, so hes more than likely wrong.

Ryvin1
02-17-2008, 11:38 PM
How about Elson for Bonzi Wells and Mutombo, works salary wise, and those contracts are all expiring.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Mutumbo will help us in the age department, that's for sure :lol

Bonzi would be good for matchup problems that our other SG/SF's have problems with like ...Paul Pierce and...Bonzi?

Mr. Body
02-17-2008, 11:41 PM
How did Elson play in the All-Star game?

some_user86
02-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Wouldn't the Spurs be only interested in dealing Elson to reduce their salary threshold (in order to not pay tax)? So, any deals would have to take that into account.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Spurs will not make a BIG trade after coming off a successful RRT, and with a system that takes a year to learn, not to mention Parker and Barry yet to return.

However, if they can trade Elson for a useful piece that would be great.

As for Bonner, he strikes me as a guy who needs court time to be effective, and his opportunity comes next year when Rob has retired.

debo
02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
now there's only one problem. who wants him?

genomefreak13
02-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Some other possibilities:

The Spurs don't make many major moves, but San Antonio is looking to deal Francisco Elson.[/I]

This pretty much say that there's probably little chance of that happening.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
now there's only one problem. who wants him?

Anyone who has a player with a contract in Elson's salary range with years left on it.

If the Spurs make a "big trade" then it will likely be Barry + Elson who are dealt. I don't see the Spurs moving more than two players and I think the other two players with expiring contracts, Finley and Horry, would be much less likely to be moved.

Brutalis
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
nawwwwwwwwwwww ya think

Amuseddaysleeper
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
It's kinda sad how quickly everyone has given up on Bonner considering how promising he looked at times earlier this season.

Not that I necessarily blame them.

yavozerb
02-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Elson For Bonzi...Should help our rebounding and would be great in the smal ball lineup..

some_user86
02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't understand why people have given up on Bonner (not that it matters; you can't make a personnel decision anymore than I can). He isn't playing because Pop wants Horry to be in shape. Bonner is the sacrificial lamb for Horry's minutes, and it's far from clear if he's in Pop's dog house.

some_user86
02-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Elson For Bonzi...Should help our rebounding and would be great in the smal ball lineup..

What's the incentive for Houston? Don't laugh but Jackie Butler is more likely to return back to the Spurs than Bonzi to San Antonio.

Expiring contracts only work if they help the other team get rid of an albatross immediately. If the other team has an expiring contract with a player making less (as is the case with Bonzi making less than Elson), it wouldn't make sense to do the deal. Butler on the other hand makes less money than Elson, but has another year to his contract. If the primary goal is to get rid of the lux tax, a Butler deal is more likely.

I think some people are getting way too excited for what they might get in return. We are most likely to get a scrub who will sit on IR list to save us money from the lux tax, just like Melvin Ely last year.

remingtonbo2001
02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
What's the incentive for Houston?

I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine...(cough cough SCOLA)

some_user86
02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I edited my earlier post to expand it.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Spurs receive
Kurt Thomas
Damien Wilkins

Sonics receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
future 2nd round pick

some_user86
02-18-2008, 12:33 AM
I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine...(cough cough SCOLA)

They already scratched our backs (cough cough **get rid of Butler's stupid contract**; although retrospectively, we should have gotten rid of Elson then and there, but who knew he wasn't gonna improve).

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
I wish the deadline would get here already. While I don't think the Spurs make a move I still hold out hope until the last minute. I believe the Spurs are looking at every option but don't have much faith in something getting done. Even a salary dump move.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Spurs receive
Jeff Foster
Shawne Williams
Kareem Rush

Pacers receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Spurs receive
Corey Maggette
Quinton Ross

Clippers receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick

midgetonadonkey
02-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Spurs receive
Corey Maggette
Quinton Ross

Clippers receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick

That would be a good trade. Being how the Spurs usually trade their first rounders away for nothing.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Spurs receive
Joe Smith
Tyrus Thomas

Bulls receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick
Future 2nd round pick

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Spurs receive
Tyrus Thomas
Adrian Griffin

Bulls receive
Brent Barry
Future 1st round pick

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Spurs receive
Udonis Haslem
Mark Blount
Future 2nd round pick

Heat receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
Jacque Vaughn

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Spurs receive
Bobby Simmons
Future pick

Bucks receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson

baseline bum
02-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Sam Smith: Spurs are looking to keep Tim Duncan.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 01:05 AM
This one works...and I think the most probable of the proposals since it involves player playing almost the same positions. This could be done.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~250~1725~3038&teams=11~11~24~24~24&te=&cash=

This one works even without including the first and second round draft pick ... but I guess it's required to lure the Bulls to make this crazy trade. The spurs, though, won't likely to do this since it has to dispense of the opportunity to get younger. I don't think tyrus thomas would be the one they're expecting to be a franchise player.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~250~1725~3038&teams=11~11~24~24~24&te=&cash=

This doesn't work either...Seattle won't deal away Thomas for Elson nor Barry. He's fitting well in seattle. We just hope that, their impending transfer out of seattle might change their minds.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~846~2506&teams=25~25~24~24&te=&cash=

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Spurs receive
David Lee
Malik Rose

Knicks receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:10 AM
This one works even without including the first and second round draft pick ... but I guess it's required to lure the Bulls to make this crazy trade. The spurs, though, won't likely to do this since it has to dispense of the opportunity to get younger. I don't think tyrus thomas would be the one they're expecting to be a franchise player.

That would pare payroll for the Bulls and give them a couple of picks. If they have soured on Thomas now might be the time to take him off their hands.

This doesn't work either...Seattle won't deal away Thomas for Elson nor Barry. He's fitting well in seattle. We just hope that, their impending transfer out of seattle might change their minds.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~846~2506&teams=25~25~24~24&te=&cash=

Barry+Elson+Bonner works as posted.

ss1986v2
02-18-2008, 01:11 AM
holts cat, love the optimism, but i think about 80%+ of the trades you have posted here are a clear "no" from the other teams.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Spurs receive
Ron Artest

Kings receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future pick

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:17 AM
holts cat, love the optimism, but i think about 80%+ of the trades you have posted here are a clear "no" from the other teams.

Bad trades happen in the NBA. Especially when teams want to pare down payroll for cap, luxury tax, and operational reasons.

ss1986v2
02-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Bad trades happen in the NBA. Especially when teams want to pare down payroll for cap, luxury tax, and operational reasons.
but i dont see that as the case in almost any of the trades you have posted. they only conceivable one ive seen posted would be the haslem/blount trade, and thats only if you took out the miami pick, or added a pick on the spurs side.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:22 AM
but i dont see that as the case in almost any of the trades you have posted. they only conceivable one ive seen posted would be the haslem/blount trade, and thats only if you took out the miami pick, or added a pick on the spurs side.

How so? Take a look at Blount's contract. That deal reduces payroll by $12 mil for the Heat this summer. Otherwise they are stuck with Blount until 2010 at close to $8 mil per.

ss1986v2
02-18-2008, 01:24 AM
How so? Take a look at Blount's contract. That deal frees up close to $11 mil in cap room for the Heat this summer. Otherwise they are stuck with Blount until 2010 at close to $8 mil per.
yes, i know everyones contract statis. they are that high on haslem. haslem is the bait to move blount. they arent including further incentive, especially when they arent even getting all expirings. if it was, then maybe, but its not.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:26 AM
In other news the San Antonio Spus will be trying to repeat as NBA Champions.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Spurs receive
Brad Miller

Kings receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
Future pick

Princess Pimp
02-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Spurs receive
Kurt Thomas
Damien Wilkins

Sonics receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
future 2nd round pick

:lol :lol :lol

Princess Pimp
02-18-2008, 01:31 AM
spurs fans are reaching!!

Princess Pimp
02-18-2008, 01:31 AM
In other news the San Antonio Spus will be trying to repeat as NBA Champions.

As every year but they FAIL!

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Spurs receive
Mike Miller

Grizzlies receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick

Princess Pimp
02-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Spurs receive
Mike Miller

Grizzlies receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick

Quit smoking that shit dude!!! :smokin

You are just stupid !!!

anakha
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
You are just stupid !!!

smoling

:lmao

Princess Pimp
02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
wtf?

ehz33satx
02-18-2008, 01:43 AM
As every year but they FAIL!

What exactly is it the Spurs have FAILED at, in your opinion?

anakha
02-18-2008, 01:44 AM
wtf?

:lmao at Louis changing his spelling at the last minute.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Spurs receive
Wally Szczerbiak
Johan Petro

Sonics receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner

ss1986v2
02-18-2008, 02:09 AM
figured i might as well weigh in on all the trades:

the first seattle trade is conceivable. they have the depth up front to move KT for next to nothing. and while they do like what he brings, they may wish to give him what he wants, and move him to a contender. they arent very high on wilkens (the fan base really hates him), so his inclusion wouldnt be unheard of. not sure they want bonner, nor a 2nd round pick (i think that have something like 6 2nd round picks in the next 2 years).

the indiana trade is just wrong. pacers wouldnt move foster for barry alone, so why would they include rush and williams for no reason? they have no real need to move foster at a bargain price right now. barry+1st for foster straight up has a much better chance to happen.

the clipper trade isnt inconceivable either, just not likely. expirings + 1st would be low value on maggette, and the clippers dont seem to be looking to break this team apart just yet. throwing in ross just seems greedy. they may just look to hold onto maggettes bird rights, and work with him in the offseason if he really wants to move, especially considering the year he is having.

both bulls trades are just silly. unless they are getting back a lottery pick/talent, they arent moving thomas. period. only sam "stupid" smith has even entertained the idea of moving thomas in a dump.

i dont like the bucks trade from the spurs side, but i think its within reason for the bucks. not sure what kind of pick they would be willing to include, but i doubt they have any interest in moving any future 1st, even to dump simmons.

the knicks trade is again silly. david lee is going nowhere, especially for that package.

the kings packages are somewhat within reason, but i see issues on both those moves. the kings value artest more than that package. if they arent getting to dump KT, they are going to want near full value for artest, or they will simply hope to keep his bird rights to work a s&t with in the summer (or just keep him themselves). and im not sure the spurs would be looking to include a future 1st for miller, and i dont think the kings move him for less (especially if they arent getting all expirings). but the bibby trade does skew thing more to the spurs favor.

the memphis deal is possible, if memphis is really going with the full fire sale. still probably needs a bit more to memphis (ian?) to get it done, unless we take on cardinal. but it its still a viable offer compared to what other teams would be offering (miami, orlando, denver, nj). probably not the best offer, but a decent starting point.

the second seattle trade is probably a no from both sides. seattle isnt looking to move petro for nothing (no picks, no prospects), and the spurs may balk at taking on wally-worlds deal. probably a no from seattle before its a no from sa.

Man of Steel
02-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Beno for Elson.

Ocotillo
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
I think where Smith gets this is of course the obivious, Elson is getting minimal playing time coupled with an expiring contract. Another GM (since the Spurs FO is CIA) likely mentioned Elson's availability to Smith so he runs with it. The other source probably has had conversations with the Spurs who did make it known they not only would consider trades involving Elson but would be a willing partner in three (or more) way deals that Elson's contract could be used to help facilitate a major trade.

My gut, and that is all it is, feeling is the Spurs are not the aggressor at this time but are being very accomodating in working with others if they can improve their situation. Bottomline, as much as we all would like Mike Miller or Kurt Thomas, I don't think it's going to happen.

clubalien
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Spurs receive
Ron Artest

Kings receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future pick

Yes
OMG yes

holt full the trigger now.

This is the kind of player the spurs need a great D player with O skills

lefty
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't want to lose Barry

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't want to lose Barry

Not advocating an Artest trade, but as for Barry... well, I don't think you can plan for him playing again this year. He looks toast with that recurring injury.

Kobulingam
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
A lot of you guys forget how Barry goes MIA during playoffs.

2centsworth
02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Not advocating an Artest trade, but as for Barry... well, I don't think you can plan for him playing again this year. He looks toast with that recurring injury.
10-12 weeks recovery time needed for that type of injury. however, once he recovers he should be fine.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
10-12 weeks recovery time needed for that type of injury. however, once he recovers he should be fine.

Because he didn't reactivate it moments after he returned last time...

Even if he returns, he'd need to work his way back into the rotation. I don't think so.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
The issue with a prospective Artest trade is not Barry's physical health but rather Artest's mental health. A focused Artest would make the Spurs all but a lock for #5. Sideshow Ron would F up the program.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Sideshow Ron could be sidelined a bit, but it would be tough to deal with. I admit some appreciation for the 'noble experiment', however, as a focused Artest - as he might be this year (but not next) - would be dynamite.

But we consider him to be a rational human being, here, instead of wholly erratic.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Of course, the propensity for Sideshow Ron to show up is why his price is that low.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
How weird that the Spurs could have had Artest a while back, Steve Smith for Rons Mercer and Artest.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
The Spurs have taken on somewhat large salaries before when it's suited other purposes (ie Mercer) without expecting anything from that player. Pop's not exactly the kind of coach who will put up with a moron for long though.

Another interesting name in Sacramento is Brad Miller.

stxspurs
02-18-2008, 12:07 PM
artest for barry/elson/pick sounds good to me. he may be a mental case but i think for a ring he can change. with duncan getting most of the shaq duty artest can give us that offense we need when the big shaqtus is pounding on tim.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Spurs receive
Antonio Daniels
Brendan Haywood

Wizards receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
Future 1st round pick

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Spurs receive
Bobby Simmons
Charlie Villanueva

Bucks receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Spurs receive
Josh Childress

Hawks receive
Francisco Elson
Ian Mahinmi

clubalien
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Spurs receive
Josh Childress

Hawks receive
Francisco Elson
Ian Mahinmi

I am not for trading a young bigman allstar away for nothing

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
You mean, D-League All-Star, along with Jelani McCoy.

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Spurs receive
Corey Maggette
Quinton Ross

Clippers receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Future 1st round pick

As much as I'd love for the Spurs to nab Maggette, if they were hesistant to burn a #1 pick for Korver, they're sure as hell not going to do it for anyone else.

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
The trade deadline is Thursday at noon?

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
The trade deadline is Thursday at noon?

I believe the dealine is 5PM EST on Thursday.

lefty
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Spurs send:

Tim Duncan
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Spurs receive:

Beno Udrih
A drunk Kings cheerleader

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I am not a Maggette fan.

He's too injury prone for my liking.

And name one Clipper in recent memory that's ever done well after leaving the Clippers.

Slinkyman
02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I am not a Maggette fan.

He's too injury prone for my liking.

And name one Clipper in recent memory that's ever done well after leaving the Clippers.

lamar odom

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Thank you. It's going to be a long few days.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 12:48 PM

I believe it's 6pm.
Deals can happen after it if teams haven't finished negotiations.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Maggette makes a lot of sense for the Spurs. They already have the perimeter shooting, so getting a slasher who can put up points is not bad. Decent rebounding guard. Plus it is rather unlikely that the Spurs would be able to land someone like him in free agency this summer and the Spurs will have both Barry and Finley hitting free agency and I'm not sure how long you can really count on either to be in your rotation. 28 years old. And you *could* land a 20 ppg game scorer without giving up one of your Big 3 or taking on an onerous long term financial commitment.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
lamar odom
He was much better as a Clipper.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Maggette makes a lot of sense for the Spurs. They already have the perimeter shooting, so getting a slasher who can put up points is not bad. Decent rebounding guard. Plus it is rather unlikely that the Spurs would be able to land someone like him in free agency this summer and the Spurs will have both Barry and Finley hitting free agency and I'm not sure how long you can really count on either to be in your rotation. 28 years old. And you *could* land a 20 ppg game scorer without giving up one of your Big 3.
This sounds a lot like Derek Anderson to me.

clubalien
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Spurs send:

Tim Duncan
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Spurs receive:

Beno Udrih
A drunk Kings cheerleader

are the kings under the cap I am not sure the money equals out

also if it is legal to trade cheerleaders will someone please trade pop away now!!! :madrun

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Maggette would be very good value for what the Spurs would prospectively have to send out for him. He'd be as close as the Spurs could get to landing a star without moving one of the Big 3.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
This sounds a lot like Derek Anderson to me.

How was Anderson a bad pickup for the Spurs?

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I hear you, Holt's... Maggette is not my first choice, though.

Yours?

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I hear you, Holt's... Maggette is not my first choice, though.

Yours?

LeBron James.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
The way Lebron and Timmy were chumming it up, maybe ex's thought of Lebron in 2010 isn't that absurd.

Seriously, my targets are:

1. Artest
2. M. Miller

Consideration:

Maggette

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Miller makes the most sense, all things considered, as he still has a couple years left on his contract (so you're not at risk of him walking this summer or having to negotiate a new long term deal), plus I think he would fit rather seemlessly within the Spurs' offense and he rebounds well. Both Miller and Maggette address a real need for the Spurs as they could be trying to replace two members of their swingman rotation this summer.

clubalien
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
How was Anderson a bad pickup for the Spurs?
injury prone

the type of player a slasher (Manus game) was something we needed over chuck person/steve smith/ spot up shooters

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah and Maggette has averaged only 64 games played in his first 8 years.

You'd much rather M. Miller.

Artest is the highest risk/reward of the 3.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah and Maggette has averaged only 64 games played in his first 8 years.

You'd much rather M. Miller.

Artest is the highest risk/reward of the 3.

Not really, given the risk. Miller is lights out from the field, rebounds well, can shoot from all over, and has enough size that he could be a small ball 4.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Tell me something I don't know about Mike Miller.

I'd rather the "mental patient" that plays exception on both sides of the court than another injury-prone swingman with barely any playoffs experience from the Clippers.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Tell me something I don't know about Mike Miller.

Well then someone needed to remind you.

I'd rather the "mental patient" that plays exception on both sides of the court than another injury-prone swingman with barely any playoffs experience from the Clippers.

The Spurs don't win by taking on mental cases and hoping they can turn themselves around. The closest they've come to that during the Duncan era are a few guys who were known as malcontents because they were in losing situations or because they had done a couple dumb things early on in their careers. Artest is not that guy. Artest isn't even as sane as Rodman.

Man of Steel
02-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Elson, Brent and Bonner for Dirk

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly.

You are passing up on a star-quality player who even you would admit has the cache of talent to be perfect for Spurs Basketball... if he doesn't snap.

Artest has been fine so far this year.

I think he's worth the risk, given our team's makeup and how Pop is such a disciplinarian.

texasqb2
02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
How weird that the Spurs could have had Artest a while back, Steve Smith for Rons Mercer and Artest.

Steve Smith?-I thought it was Derek Anderson

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah. That chapped my @ss.

timmy21_4rings
02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Elson is not going anywhere except for a big man...We need bigs to collect fouls against West's bigs

coopdogg3
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Would the Warriors want Elson or Barry or a Spurs draft pick? What do you think of trading for Pietrus?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Waiving His Rights
Mickael Pietrus | Warriors
Golden State's Mickael Pietrus is saying he would waive his Bird rights, with which Devean George is holding up the Kidd deal, to get away from the Warriors. -- The Chicago Tribune

Here is Hollinger's take on him? Anybody think he can be salvaged?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=2173

2006-07 season: While Pietrus' numbers recovered from the 2005-06 horror show, they went in a surprising direction. He became a low-volume, high percentage guy who boasted a 59.0 TS% that ranked third among small forwards. He did it mainly by hitting 38.8 percent of his 3-pointers -- almost entirely from the corners -- and also cashed in 42.7 percent of his long 2s.

As I mentioned, he loves the corners -- a whopping 82.6 percent of his 3-point attempts came from there. Over the past three years he's at 37.4 percent on corner 3s but just 32.0 percent from the other spots. That may not seem like much, but it's the difference between the attempt being a good idea and a bad one, and so he's wise to focus on the ones he's better at.

Pietrus also got to the foul line quite a bit when he wasn't bombing away, ranking 17th among small forwards in free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt. In fact, had he hit better than 64.8 percent from the stripe he would have ranked even higher in TS%, and his two misses at the end of Game 2 in the Utah series proved particularly damaging.

However, he didn't create many shots, primarily because he remains a poor ballhandler. Pietrus ranked 58th out of 63 small forwards in Assist Ratio and 52nd in Turnover Ratio; how somebody could turn it over so much while taking such a high proportion of shots from beyond the arc is beyond me.

Scouting report: Pietrus is a long, athletic forward who can shoot from outside and finish in transition or on the drive. But his offensive game is limited by his very poor dribbling skills, which prevent him from taking slower players off the dribble, and he also has trouble with traveling violations when he tries to fake a shot and drive.

Defensively, Pietrus has the potential to be a stopper due to his length and quickness, but hasn?t quite put the whole package together yet. He still makes mental errors and gambles too much, and had the ninth-worst rate of fouls per minute at his position.

2007-08 outlook: Pietrus signed the Warriors' one-year qualifying offer for $3.47 million and will attempt to earn more as an unrestricted free agent next summer. While Jason Richardson's departure should theoretically open up more minutes for him along the wings, he's going to have a lot of competition from players of roughly equal quality -- Matt Barnes, Kelenna Azubuike, and possibly rookie Marco Belinelli -- so there's no guarantee he'll seen an uptick in minutes.

Of course, the easiest way to increase his playing time would be to increase his performance, but Pietrus seems stuck at his current level of halfway-decentness. At 25, there's still some hope that he can unlock more of his potential and become a bona fide starter, but if he can't do it in a contract year in his fifth pro seasons, then we can probably shut the door on that possibility for good.

Most similar at age: Todd Day

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't mind making a run at him in the summer, but for now the Spurs should focus on a big if they're gonna make a trade.

ss1986v2
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
thats an analysis of pietrus before the season started. hes regressed a bit since last season, or at least hasnt shown any improvement over his first 4 seasons (still makes the bone-headed plays, fouls way to much, shooting percentages are down from his big year last season). and of coarse, hes as dumb as a shoe. think elson as a wing.

ive actually hoped that pietrus gets traded to a team that actually plays both ends of the floor where he can get solid minutes. id want to see what he could do then before id take a chance on him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Spurs receive
Wally Szczerbiak
Johan Petro

Sonics receive
Brent Barry
Francisco Elson
Matt Bonner
Hell to the no.

ApolloCreed
02-18-2008, 05:53 PM
There should be a forum rule to never post rumors from Sam Smith, Peter Vescey or anything from HoopsWorld.