PDA

View Full Version : America vs the Rest of the World

smeagol
02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Time to drop the current all star format.

I know that this has been discussed to death in the past, but given yesterday's game, it becomes relevant again.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 05:42 AM
First, I don't think the NBA want to oppose USA to the rest of the world. They want to remove the USA label to the NBA with training camp overseas and maybe an euro expansion in the next ten years.
Second, they aren't enough "rest of the world" quality players.

smeagol
02-18-2008, 05:52 AM
First, I don't think the NBA want to oppose USA to the rest of the world. They want to remove the USA label to the NBA with training camp overseas and maybe an euro expansion in the next ten years.

Party pooper :depressed

hsxvvd
02-18-2008, 06:22 AM
I'd put money on the rest of the world, at the very least, it might ignite some passion in the game.

vanvannen
02-18-2008, 07:42 AM

Not enough quality players?
I think this is a pretty nice lineup:

NASH/PARKER
MANU/LEANDRINHO/NAVARRO
KIRILIENKO/NOCIONI/PEJA
NOWITSKI/GASOL/SCOLA
YAO/DIOP

Hemotivo
02-18-2008, 07:42 AM
:tu

&
USA have too many good players for just one team

ArgSpursFan.
02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
USA vs ARG. could be nice to watch too.
Manu
Delfino
Nocioni
Scola
Oberto

not a bad NBA players lineup.

They could actually meet eachother in the Olympics games Final.

wildchild
02-18-2008, 08:01 AM

NASH/PARKER
MANU/LEANDRINHO/NAVARRO
KIRILIENKO/NOCIONI/PEJA
NOWITSKI/GASOL/SCOLA
YAO/DIOP

:lmao

YAO/OBERTO. So much the better.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 08:03 AM

NASH/PARKER
MANU/LEANDRINHO/NAVARRO
KIRILIENKO/NOCIONI/PEJA
NOWITSKI/GASOL/SCOLA
YAO/DIOP

First, you have forget some players who deserve more to be all star than Navarro, Scola or Diop.
Some names : Turkoglu, Deng, Bogut, Okur, Calderon, Dalembert, Biedrins...

Second, the goal isn't to have a nice team. Being an all star is a personal achievement. The 12 players of the international team must have an all star level.
When you consider that some of these players will be injured or have an off season, the international team will have players like Nocioni at the end of the bench.
A player like Nocioni hasn't an all star level and shouldn't be an allstar.

wildchild
02-18-2008, 08:06 AM
USA vs ARG. could be nice to watch too.
Manu
Delfino
Nocioni
Scola
Oberto

not a bad NBA players lineup.

They could actually meet eachother in the Olympics games Final.

Manu as pg. wow that's just like Pop when we lost Tony. :lol

wildchild
02-18-2008, 08:08 AM
First, you have forget some players who deserve more to be all star than Navarro, Scola or Diop.

Second, the goal isn't to have a nice team. Being an all star is a personal achievement. The 12 players of the international team must have an all star level.
When you consider that some of these players will be injured or have an off season, the international team will have players like Nocioni at the end of the bench.

:tu

kuato
02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Rest of the world wins for sure, team play rules.

Deimosfobos
02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Would be nice for the game to have some passion... ASG is a joke atm.

smeagol
02-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Even if you don't think Nocioni is AS caliber, you cannot deny this game would be much mor einteresting than what took place last night.

Swap Nocioni for Deng.

America vs Rest of the World would be a game I'd watch. Last night's game was painful to watch and probably the last AS game I will tune into.

genomefreak13
02-18-2008, 08:36 AM
The rest of the world would probably win. That's a lot of talent to contend with by just one team. It's like a world war against America, but in this case all the participants has equal fire power.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Even if you don't think Nocioni is AS caliber, you cannot deny this game would be much mor einteresting than what took place last night.

Swap Nocioni for Deng.

America vs Rest of the World would be a game I'd watch. Last night's game was painful to watch and probably the last AS game I will tune into.

Deng is injured.

There is no way to have a whole international team with players having all star worthy seasons, even if you add a player like Duncan.
You will end up with players who are all stars only because they are international.
Being all star is something important in NBA, it's a quality mark. You can give that award to players who don't deserve it.

Now, I agree with you. The ASG is boring but an international/USA game isn't the answer.
For the first World/USA game, players will be motivated but in the long term, I'm not sure they will be more motivated than for an East/West tournament.

To me, the good solution is to do like in many European countries with a small tournament between best NBA teams.
You take the 8 best NBA teams and you make a 3 days tournament (first day: quarter final, second day: semi final, last day: final).
If teams aren't motivated enough, you add a big money prize.

smeagol
02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
The rest of the world would probably win. That's a lot of talent to contend with by just one team. It's like a world war against America, but in this case all the participants has equal fire power.
Against Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Kobe and Paul . . . I would not bet the ranch . . .

smeagol
02-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Deng is injured.

I was just one example. Maybe he wont be injured next year :lol

There is no way to have a whole international team with players having all star worthy seasons, even if you add a player like Duncan.

Of course there is. Check back on this thread and you will find 12 all stars, or quasi all stars. You even named a few.

You will end up with players who are all stars only because they are international.

It does not really matter. You have to change your mind set. It's no longer the ASG. It's the new Americas/Internationals game.

Being all star is something important in NBA, it's a quality mark. You can give that award to players who don't deserve it.

Again, it is about changing your mind set. Also, the fact that every year ther are more and more stars from overseas playing in the NBA will make chosing you 12 true international all stars easier and easier.

Now, I agree with you. The ASG is boring but an international/USA game isn't the answer.

No harm in trying.

For the first World/USA game, players will be motivated but in the long term, I'm not sure they will be more motivated than for an East/West tournament.

So you have the cristal ball?

To me, the good solution is to do like in many European countries with a small tournament between best NBA teams.

We can try out that too.

endrity
02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Even if you include TD as an international, there just isn't enough star power in the game. There are three MVPs and one possible one (Yao) for the internationals. For the americans, 6-8 players are pontential MVPs of the league (Kobe, LeBron, Howard, KG, Kidd, Wade, Iverson...)

When Dirk and TD start to decline this idea will look even worse, unless some of the young internationals (Nene, Biedrins, Bargnani) really make a quality hop.

Unfortunately guys like Calderon and Navarro came too old in the league. I would have liked to see what Calderon could have done if he came in the league at 22 or 23.

vanvannen
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I was just trying to make a point. There is enough talent outside of US Bball to make a decent team. Nash, Manu, Calderon, Nowitski, Yao. That seems like a damn all star team to me.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I was just one example. Maybe he wont be injured next year :lol
Of course there is. Check back on this thread and you will find 12 all stars, or quasi all stars. You even named a few.
It does not really matter. You have to change your mind set. It's no longer the ASG. It's the new Americas/Internationals game.

Every year some international players will be injured. This year there are between 6 and 8 international players with an all star level. Players like Kirilenko, Barbosa, Nocioni or Stojakovic haven't an all star season.

I don't think the NAB will be interested to have a game without some of its best players with a disparity of talents between the two teams.

Also, the fact that every year ther are more and more stars for from overseas playing in the NBA will make chosing you 12 true international all stars easier and easier.

We aren't in the future. Right now, you don't have 12 true international all stars. It's not sure that the trend of more and more international stars will continue.

So you have the cristal ball?

I can say the same thing for your assumption than players will be more motivated for an USA/world game than for a East/West game.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I would have liked to see what Calderon could have done if he came in the league at 22 or 23.

Calderon came in the league at 24. He is still a young player and I don't think he came too late.

kuato
02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Against Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Kobe and Paul . . . I would not bet the ranch . . .
Good players doesnt mean good team, the only team player on that list is TD.

WalterBenitez
02-18-2008, 07:07 PM
That would be a great game and show, no that sidewalks shit they play last night.

I'd go with TP, Manu, Nash, Dirk and YAO.

manubili
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
That game would be much more meaningfull. Actually I think it might improve the awareness in the rest of the world.

The game was so boring I turn the TV off in the first half.

dg7md
02-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Not a good idea, it would have a USA = good guys, rest of the world = bad guys format. Could divide the fan bases and cause some controversy. I'd work on more international teams before this could happen, re-establish a team in Vancouver for example, especially if the Sonics move. In addition to that,there are a lot of reports about an NBA European expansion that would do a lot for the NBA across the world.