PDA

View Full Version : West teams continue to look for ways to load up

Bruno
02-18-2008, 10:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjzSRayE1CO4jcuasHTire.8vLYF?slug=ys-tradecountdown021808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Johnny Ludden and Adrian Wojnarowski
February 18, 2008

Four days left before the NBA’s trade deadline, and three star-studded deals are already complete with another blockbuster sitting on the docket. It’ll be a wonder if there’s anyone left to move once Thursday comes and goes.

If the Dallas Mavericks complete their trade for Jason Kidd, Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest becomes the NBA’s next big target of interest. Two league sources said Sunday that the Denver Nuggets are in “full pursuit” of Artest with team officials considering a package involving Lineas Kleiza, Eduardo Najera and a first-round pick.

“Denver is the team that needs to do something,” said one West executive. “With everyone loading up, they’re going to have a tough time getting out of the first round.”

Here’s what else Y! Sports was hearing as the All-Star break ended:

• The Los Angeles Clippers are trying to pry Mike Miller out of Memphis with an offer of expiring contracts that includes a package of Sam Cassell and Aaron Williams. The Grizzlies want the Clippers first-round pick in 2008, and so far, the Clippers are balking.

• After sending a scout to see him in Memphis last week, the Denver Nuggets are talking with the Grizzlies about acquiring guard Kyle Lowry for Von Wafer and a first-round draft pick.

• The Cleveland Cavaliers value Philadelphia’s Andre Miller more than they did Mike Bibby, but the Sixers haven’t shown much inclination to move their point guard, maybe even less now that they’ve experienced some success. And if Philadelphia opted to trade Andre Miller? It’s hard to imagine Cleveland being able to put together a worthy package.

The Cavaliers also have had talks regarding Mike Miller and two other point guards: Lowry and Portland’s Jarrett Jack.

• With an understanding that they’ll need to re-sign restricted free agent guard Jose Calderon and Carlos Delfino this summer, the Raptors are fielding offers for Jason Kapono. It’s unlikely they’ll get many considering the three years and nearly $19 million left on Kapono’s contract.

• The Orlando Magic have continued to shop for frontline help with Pat Garrity’s expiring contract as bait.

• The San Antonio Spurs are most interested in getting Tony Parker back in the lineup and seeing what their roster looks like at full strength. But with a couple of expiring contracts of their own, most notably that of Brent Barry, they've also actively looked for additional help. The Spurs were in the Kyle Korver talks with Philadelphia, but didn’t want to give up a first-round pick. They also talked to the Atlanta Hawks about Josh Childress, but were quickly rebuffed.

With Shaquille O’Neal now in Phoenix and Yao Ming’s Houston Rockets coming on strong, the Spurs also might be in the market for more size.

jmard5
02-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Pop needs to think twice before fielding smallball lineups in the playoffs.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I can understand why Pop was pissed about Grizzlies.
They traded Gasol for nothing and they are asking teams to take Cardinal horrendous contract or to give a high lottery pick for Mike freaking Miller. :lol

1Parker1
02-18-2008, 10:31 AM
I can understand why Pop was pissed about Grizzlies.
They traded Gasol for nothing and they are asking teams to take Cardinal horrendous contract or to give a high lottery pick for Mike freaking Miller. :lol

:lmao That's what I was thinking~!

Denver Nuggets are talking with the Grizzlies about acquiring guard Kyle Lowry for Von Wafer and a first-round draft pick.

Kyle Lowry...their current 3rd string PG for what will be arguably a top 10 first round pick??? Meanwhile they trade away their franchise player for a first round pick that'll be in the mid to late 20's. :lol

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Anybody remember what Utah gave up to acquire Korver?

Bruno
02-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Anybody remember what Utah gave up to acquire Korver?

Giricek + a first round pick.

BTW, I find interesting that Spurs are mainly looking for a perimeter player (Korver, Miller, Childress..).
Pop should trust enough Spurs bigmen and be confident in the future with Splitter/Mahinmi.

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I think the Spurs need a center who can defend and rebound. Forget the whole perimeter player thing.

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I think the Spurs need a center who can defend and rebound. Forget the whole perimeter player thing.

Diop would the answer. After all, he was the Mavs best low-post defender.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Kind of wish they could have gotten Korver, since it looks like Miller's out of the question. But giving up a first, too? Eh, probably... not... maybe...

Streakyshooter08
02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
BTW, I find interesting that Spurs are mainly looking for a perimeter player (Korver, Miller, Childress..).

Thats what I thought too. If Kapono wasn't that expensive, I could imagine the Spurs to go after him. I am sure there will be some minor trades comming up this week that will be really interesting...

manufor3
02-18-2008, 11:18 AM
come on lets get Kendrick Perkins!

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM

It makes sense with both Barry and Finley being free agents this summer and the free agent pool for swingmen not being that attractive in the Spurs' price range.

How about Szczerbiak? Large contract but it only has one more year left on it. Sonics could at least reduce payroll by moving him.

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I would've like to have seen the Spurs been able to acquire Korver too. However, I wonder what it would take to pry Childress from ATL.

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I love that the Spurs were looking at Childress but I'm sure Atlanta laughed as much as I did considering what we were probably offering.

It bothers me some that the Spurs are so interested in perimeter players when we have a need for another big man first.

manufor3
02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I would've like to have seen the Spurs been able to acquire Korver too. However, I wonder what it would take to pry Childress from ATL.
maybe this?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~2373~2016&teams=1~1~24~24&te=&cash=24:1

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
If the Dallas Mavericks complete their trade for Jason Kidd, Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest becomes the NBA’s next big target of interest. Two league sources said Sunday that the Denver Nuggets are in “full pursuit” of Artest with team officials considering a package involving Lineas Kleiza, Eduardo Najera and a first-round pick.

The Spurs could offer Barry, Elson and a future 1st. Granted, the Nuggets' 1st would be a little more attractive.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
With an understanding that they’ll need to re-sign restricted free agent guard Jose Calderon and Carlos Delfino this summer, the Raptors are fielding offers for Jason Kapono. It’s unlikely they’ll get many considering the three years and nearly $19 million left on Kapono’s contract.

Too bad Kapono's contract lasts past 2010.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:33 AM

I've had my eye on Childress for a while now and am glad the Spurs have, too. It looks like Atlanta's gotten much smarter about it's players lately, as evidenced too by that Bibby trade.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
• The Los Angeles Clippers are trying to pry Mike Miller out of Memphis with an offer of expiring contracts that includes a package of Sam Cassell and Aaron Williams. The Grizzlies want the Clippers first-round pick in 2008, and so far, the Clippers are balking.

Hmmm. If the Spurs hang around until the end they might get lucky.

Bruno
02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
The Spurs could offer Barry, Elson and a future 1st. Granted, the Nuggets' 1st would be a little more attractive.

Kleiza is also a interesting young player.
Kleiza+Najera+first for Artest is a very good deal for Kings but I doubt this offer is on the table.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
The Kings can't refuse LK as part of the package. Him and Kevin Martin running the wings would be to good too be true.

I still hope the Nuggets get Miller over Artest. I like Artest and he brings a toughness on D but he is a rental and nothing more

SenorSpur
02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I've had my eye on Childress for a while now and am glad the Spurs have, too. It looks like Atlanta's gotten much smarter about it's players lately, as evidenced too by that Bibby trade.

They would pick this time to become smarter after 2-3 years of making questionable moves and "misses" during the NBA draft. They probably wouldn't have needed Bibby had they simply selected Chris Paul

I still say they've got a couple of redundant parts and I can't see their unstable ownership being willing or able to "pony up" $$$ to retain all those young players. Hopefully, the Spurs will be persistent and hopefully Childress can be had.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I want Artest on this team. Badly.

I feel like he's matured some since all his crazy incidents in the past.

The Spurs represent his last shot at redemption.

He can defend almost as well as Bowen.

Artest can hit 3s, block shots and specializes in the halfcourt.

Man, he'd be great for the Spurs.

Streakyshooter08
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM

So would I. I just doubt the Spurs have what Sacramento wants. If I remember correctly Artest can opt out this summer, so his salary would also come off the books. There isn't the need to trade for expiring contracts. It would be too good to be true. Might be a pipe dream after all...

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I think his reputation of being crazier than a pet 'coon works to our favor in perhaps snagging him from the Kings.

It looks like Reggie Theus' crew is looking to build on the youth and maybe Artest and his doesn't fit into their new identity.

Can we send them Barry, Elson and a couple picks?

it's not like the Spurs need to bank on draft picks... win now.

And I am confident that Duncan and Pop can be a calming influence on Artest.

If it doesn't work out, he's gone in the summer anyway.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
If it doesn't work out, he's gone in the summer anyway.

After he Fs up the Spurs run at title #5 this season?

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:07 PM
What do you think Artest will do... help us on offense and defense?

Don't be a scared little girl.

He's a calculated risk.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
What do you think Artest will do... help us on offense and defense?

Don't be a scared little girl.

He's a calculated risk.

Being scared is thinking the Spurs have to make a move.

Being smart is thinking that bringing a mental patient on board could fuck up a championship program.

Teams go after Artest when they've been on the outside looking in and are willing to gamble that he won't lose his sanity or when he does, it won't hurt them that much (think Elliott for Rodman).

What's the impetus here? The Spurs are coming off a championship, they have their system down, and the last team to have knocked them off in the postseason is trading two of the reasons why they were able to knock the Spurs off.

Now's no time to be scared and make a trade like that.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
The impetus is our team taking a slight step back due to atrophy and our main rivals all adding star-quality players.

Didn't Rodman re-energize the Spurs before winning 3 titles with the Bulls?

clubalien
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM

we really miss of player with ron's skills sine we lost sean

tony is your score first PG that can share the ball, run fast breaks, and run the pick and roll
manu=the slasher we have wanted since the D anderson expirement
bowen just doesn't have the O game like sean elliot that could use his ninja skills to shut you down while performing memorial miracles. ROn artest is that player the one that is a Strong D with O skills
tim duncan=best bigman the spurs have seen sine david robinson enough said
srub center really the best we can hope for now (woudl love to have diop , here or more TD to Center and have a 4 like dirk, rwallace, brand)
this position is problay going to reserved for spillter

really Ron artest's player type is just what the spurs need

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
The impetus is our team taking a slight step back due to atrophy and our main rivals all adding star-quality players.

Atrophy? They've got the same crew together and the oldest member of their big 3 is 31 years old, who happens to be the best low post player in the game. What's the major issue that requires shipping out one of your stars or taking on a headcase?

Didn't Rodman re-energize the Spurs before winning 3 titles with the Bulls?

Did the Spurs win a title during his time here? And he was a major distraction.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks, clubalien.

Some people think that the Spurs can have their pick of the litter and that people don't deserve second chances.

MoSpur
I too would like Ron Artest with this team, but I just don't think he'll fit in. I just don't.

clubalien

odd even rule dude

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Glenn Robinson worked out well. I like at Ron Artest in that sort of way. A half a season rental who could pay off. However, what if the Kings don't want what the Spurs are offering?

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks, clubalien.

Some people think that the Spurs can have their pick of the litter and that people don't deserve second chances.

What a douche.

:baby

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Glenn Robinson worked out well. I like at Ron Artest in that sort of way. A half a season rental who could pay off. However, what if the Kings don't want what the Spurs are offering?

Difference is, Glenn Robinson wasn't insane. Plus the Spurs only had to sign him to a vet min contract. Landing Artest would require sending out a 1st round pick at least, along with passing on other trade alternatives.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Nah.

What other trade alternatives.

You act like the Spurs are sitting back wondering whether to pull the trigger on Miller, Maggette or Artest.

Spurs send out picks all the time.

They are not made to bring along rookies at this point.

What are you afraid of?

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
The Kings might want to include Kenny Thomas in the trade and that's probably why teams are reluctant to trade for Artest. Thomas has a huge contract. The Spurs would be wise to stay away from acquiring Thomas' contract.

clubalien
02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Off all the reason to nix a trade.. first round picks should be the least of them. Seriously we waste our pick and throw it in trades every chance we get it seems.

what player in the draft where we pick is going to have impact ron would on this team. None!

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Off all the reason to nix a trade.. first round picks should be the least of them. Seriously we waste our pick and throw it in trades every chance we get it seems.

what player in the draft where we pick is going to have impact ron would on this team. None!

The Spurs giving up picks doesn't bother me. Having to take on a wasted contract like Thomas' worries me.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Nah.

What other trade alternatives.

You act like the Spurs are sitting back wondering whether to pull the trigger on Miller, Maggette or Artest.

You act like the Spurs can land anyone in the NBA.

Spurs send out picks all the time.

Which you have bitched about.

They are not made to bring along rookies at this point.

What are you afraid of?

Let's see, disrupting a championship winning program. That is, even if Artest would be available to the Spurs, which, contrary to your opinion, has not been established.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
The Kings might want to include Kenny Thomas in the trade and that's probably why teams are reluctant to trade for Artest. Thomas has a huge contract. The Spurs would be wise to stay away from acquiring Thomas' contract.

In that case the Spurs would have to send out:

Barry
Horry
Elson
Bonner

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
In that case the Spurs would have to send out:

Barry
Horry
Elson
Bonner

Probably. If the Kings were willing to let Artest alone go w/out including Thomas, I would be okay it with. Other than that, no!!!

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Wait a second... I am advocating a trade for Artest because other teams would be afraid and because the Spurs never are able to land star-quality talent.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
You have been advocating that the Spurs need to make a panic move because other Western teams have been making moves. Then again, that was last week.

To top it off, you want the Spurs to go after the least sane player in the NBA.

clubalien
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
You can go back and check my posts but I have always wanted a player of rons type(including him) since before this trade blitz happened.

I cannot speak for ghost on his reasons, but I remember him wanting the spurs to get ballers from a while back.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Nope.

Not a panic move at all.

A calculated risk.

You don't know what you want.

You say "don't trade" and then say "we can't count on the front office with cap space."

Phooooooooooooo.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
You don't get it. Taking on a "caluclated risk" like Artest is a panic move for the Spurs.

Standing pat or making an opportunistic move for a quality player looks better now, especially with the Mavs moving Harris and Diop.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 02:09 PM
The Mavs are our third threat behind the Lakers and the Suns.

I guess we're totally dismissing the airtight starting five of the Hornets, too.

What kind of Popportunistic move would be better than Artest?

DazedAndConfused
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Can't believe the Sporks passed up on Kyle Korver because they didn't want to give up a crappy low 1st rounder. They must have another Manu Ginobli waiting for them in the draft.

objective
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I agree about how bad it was to pass up Korver because the Spurs didn't want to give up a first (25-30).

If a team can get a solid rotation player for an end of first round pick, that's a good deal.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
The Mavs are our third threat behind the Lakers and the Suns.

Which team has knocked the Spurs off in the postseason over the last two years?

I guess we're totally dismissing the airtight starting five of the Hornets, too.

What kind of Popportunistic move would be better than Artest?

Standing pat or perhaps Kurt Thomas for Barry and Elson.

Ghost Writer
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Um, no one did last year. Manu knocked us out the year before.

It's now 2008.

If standing pat is your plan (SEA doesn't want more picks), then I pray we're healthy enough and the defense can triumph over all again.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Ok, then there's even less of a reason to make a risky move.

Elson for Damien Wilkins might be a shrewd move at this point.

FromWayDowntown
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
The Spurs, as I recall, were offered Ron Artest and Ron Mercer for Steve Smith many moons ago. They balked then. Having already been through the Ron Mercer Experience, and having seen (first hand in the 2006 Playoffs (plus, anyone remember who stellar Artest was for the Pacers late in the 2004 Playoffs)) what the Ron Artest Experience is all about, I could understand why they'd be uninterested in the guy.

Artest is a 17 ppg scorer in the playoffs, but he's a 38% shooter, too. Against the Spurs in 2006, it took him 16 shots per night to get his 17 points -- I can't imagine that he'd find 16 shots per night in the Spurs offense (and I'd be fearful of his attempts to find 16 shots per night in that offense -- flashbacks to Rodman in Game 2 of the Houston series in 1995 come to mind), so the scoring wouldn't be there. I don't know that Artest has shown himself to be a better on-the-ball defender than Bowen, and particularly against guys like Kobe Bryant, so if you play Artest over Bowen, you lose out on the defensive end, too. I see both sides of that equation as net negatives to say nothing of the fact that Artest could completely lose it any virtually any moment in time.

I'd be totally shocked if the Spurs made a play for Artest.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
The Spurs, as I recall, were offered Ron Artest and Ron Mercer for Steve Smith many moons ago. They balked then. Having already been through the Ron Mercer Experience, and having seen (first hand in the 2006 Playoffs (plus, anyone remember who stellar Artest was for the Pacers late in the 2004 Playoffs)) what the Ron Artest Experience is all about, I could understand why they'd be uninterested in the guy.

Artest is a 17 ppg scorer in the playoffs, but he's a 38% shooter, too. Against the Spurs in 2006, it took him 16 shots per night to get his 17 points -- I can't imagine that he'd find 16 shots per night in the Spurs offense (and I'd be fearful of his attempts to find 16 shots per night in that offense -- flashbacks to Rodman in Game 2 of the Houston series in 1995 come to mind), so the scoring wouldn't be there. I don't know that Artest has shown himself to be a better on-the-ball defender than Bowen, and particularly against guys like Kobe Bryant, so if you play Artest over Bowen, you lose out on the defensive end, too. I see both sides of that equation as net negatives to say nothing of the fact that Artest could completely lose it any virtually any moment in time.

I'd be totally shocked if the Spurs made a play for Artest.

Artest would make a nice small ball 4. But that's assuming he doesn't stop in the middle of a play to promote his new album, flick off his own bench, throw a lcd monitor, or bite the head off a small child.

MoSpur
02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I think the only team having an actual fire sale is Memphis. That is the only team willing to send players to teams in exchange for expiring contracts. The only player the Spurs are interested in Memphis is Mike Miller. I don't think he addresses the Spurs' needs at this time.

Darko anyone?

SA Gunslinger
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Isn't there any big the Spurs can sign without giving up Barry?

With Barry's injury and his less than stellar shooting performance in last year's playoff, it's understandable why some want him shipped. But if he's healthy enough to play, we should keep him. He's by far the best shooter on the team.

We really don't need another big to play big minutes. We just need six more fouls to hack-a-shaq.

wildbill2u
02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Barry and Elson for Kapono? Does that work salary wise?

It gives us another great perimeter shooter. Elson will be gone by next year anyway when Splitter comes in.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Barry and Elson for Kapono? Does that work salary wise?

It gives us another great perimeter shooter. Elson will be gone by next year anyway when Splitter comes in.

It works, but Kapono's deal lasts one year past 2010.