PDA

View Full Version : Laptop recommendations

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
So I'm in the market for a new laptop. While mine isn't having any problems, I'd like to consider my choices as far as a newer model or maybe you all will convince me to stick with my current model for the time being.

Here's what I have now. It's an eMachines m6811.

2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 64
80GB HD
1.25 GB PC2700 DDR SODIMM
15.4" widescreen display

That's the basics.

Now here's the rub, I'm starting to get into digital photography more and want to learn Photoshop, InDesign, Flash and Dreamweaver. I'd also like to make mine into a digital entertainment center (which is why I'm considering upgrading to a 17" widescreen). Gaming capabilities would be nice, but not obscenely necessary. I don't game on my laptop now, but would like the option. Otherwise, I use it for e-mail, internet, blogging and work (most work stuff can be accomplished from any internet-connected computer, though, nothing major).

Budget is whatever is necessary, but again, not obscene for the sake of obscenity.

Thanks.

leemajors
02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
If price isn't a concern, it's hard to argue against a MacBook Pro.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Digital Photography?

Mac.

MannyIsGod
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
And unless you need to edit shit on the go, save yourself some money and get a desktop.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2008, 01:43 PM

To an extent, price isn't a concern... I'd briefly considered a MacBook, but I'm just not comfortable without having the added drives.

Granted, I don't use it much on the road, but the ability to have one nearby if I do is enjoyable.

Hell, maybe I should buy a cheap laptop for when I need to take it out and just go desktop for home stuff.

resistanze
02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
HP dv9700t series.

You can customize what you need, but you can build:

Components

* • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* • 17.0" WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
* • 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
* • FREE Upgrade to HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
* • Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
* • FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2) from 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!
* • LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
* • No TV Tuner w/remote control
* • High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

For under $1300

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=dv9700t_series

katyon6th
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Agreed.

Mac is where it's at.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Katy, why did you pull down the grin again?

Wild Cobra
02-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Yes, the Macbook Pro is the only ones I saw so far that impress me, especially if you want 1080P capability to watch your movies on. Most windscreen laptops are only 1440 x 900 (WSXGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSXGA_Wide_XGA_PLUS)). The Mac offers them up to, and maybe beyond 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUXGA)). I like this format because you have a large game field, great area for photo work, and you can have two pages of a document side by side at the same time.

Now something to consider is you do want a game machine, and go with a PC rather than Mac. I have not found on yet that truly doesn't used shared memory for the video. A gaming platform is in serious need of that capability. They advertise them as independent memory, but they really do share the same memory. If a PC laptop exists with separate video memory, I have yet to see one.

baseline bum
02-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Is Photoshop decent on Mac? I thought a lot of Windows ports sucked on it. For video, Mac would be a hands-down winner, but I don't see it that way for graphics.

Wild Cobra
02-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Is Photoshop decent on Mac? I thought a lot of Windows ports sucked on it. For video, Mac would be a hands-down winner, but I don't see it that way for graphics.
My guess is yes, it probably sucks.

I wouldn't buy any microsoft programs, or ported programs for a Mac anyway. I'm sure there are far better programs made just for the Mac that don't limit you to the built in problems of a PC.

I use an older verson of photoshop, but I don't like it much. A nwer version I saw, I disliked even more. Mac has some superior programs available.

Need to think outside the PB Box!

Supreme_Being
02-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Yes, the Macbook Pro is the only ones I saw so far that impress me, especially if you want 1080P capability to watch your movies on. Most windscreen laptops are only 1440 x 900 (WSXGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSXGA_Wide_XGA_PLUS)). The Mac offers them up to, and maybe beyond 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUXGA)). I like this format because you have a large game field, great area for photo work, and you can have two pages of a document side by side at the same time.

Now something to consider is you do want a game machine, and go with a PC rather than Mac. I have not found on yet that truly doesn't used shared memory for the video. A gaming platform is in serious need of that capability. They advertise them as independent memory, but they really do share the same memory. If a PC laptop exists with separate video memory, I have yet to see one.

MacBook Pro uses nVidia graphics card.

baseline bum
02-19-2008, 02:33 AM
My guess is yes, it probably sucks.

I wouldn't buy any microsoft programs, or ported programs for a Mac anyway. I'm sure there are far better programs made just for the Mac that don't limit you to the built in problems of a PC.

I use an older verson of photoshop, but I don't like it much. A nwer version I saw, I disliked even more. Mac has some superior programs available.

Need to think outside the PB Box!

What's the Mac equivalent? I hate the open-source equivalent to Photoshop (GIMP).

Wild Cobra
02-19-2008, 02:39 AM
MacBook Pro uses nVidia graphics card.
Yes, but is it shared memory or not? Besides, at least with a Mac, even if it is shared memory... The Mac has a far better operating system, and it probably doesn't matter. It is an issue for PC's (Pieces of Crap)... They definately need dedicated graphics memory! If they share the same memory chips with the main memory, it really diminished the graphics capabilities of a PC laptop. Like I said, I haven't yet seen a PC laptop that utilizes separate memory between the CPU and Graphics. It's standard in most desktops!

Wild Cobra
02-19-2008, 02:57 AM
What's the Mac equivalent? I hate the open-source equivalent to Photoshop (GIMP).
I don't know. I haven't kept up with the programs. Some years back for video, I would recomment Lightwave, but it's far more than just a photoshop type program. It was used for the video graphics of the TV series Babylon 5. I don't know if newer up to date versions are availble. Originally, it was only available for the Amiga and DEC Alpha computers. Macs of the time used the same CPU as the Amiga. It never worked to full capacity under an x86 processor. Pentiums just couldn't handle the program needs.

Oh well, I was spoiled with my Amiga. Afterall, it could run he same version of UNIX that ran on the Cray Supercomputer!

Slydragon
02-19-2008, 04:06 AM
I just got a laptop a month ago, I got this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651069&st=gateway&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1195599779501

Last week it was on sale for 699.00, I don't play pc games so I only needed it for surfing and making DVDs from my hdd camcorder. My old pc was a Emachines desktop and it sucks, I am loving this laptop.

Only downside is allot of programs I was using don't work or have issues with vista.

blizz
02-19-2008, 04:24 AM
Like I said, I haven't yet seen a PC laptop that utilizes separate memory between the CPU and Graphics. It's standard in most desktops!
Have you even looked? So because you haven't seen it, it doesn't exist? If he's just doing imaging and wants to game....PC....no question.

02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Whatever you get, make sure you rig it out with this. (http://www.cube-works.co.jp/works/pcgadget/humpingmovie.html)

02-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Aperture (http://www.apple.com/aperture/)

Heath Ledger
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
There are in fact laptops that have dedicated video memory, one only look at Alienware's laptops to find these, but they are ridiculously expensive.

blizz
02-19-2008, 09:56 PM
You can get a Dell laptop with dedicated video ram as well. I've ordered one.

midgetonadonkey
02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a laptop.

PixelPusher
02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
A Macbook Pro would definitely cover all your listed needs (even gaming)...as far as photoshop goes, the problem is that after Apple switched to Intel chips (one of the smartest moves Apple has made for their computing hardware) all of the earlier Mac ports of Photoshop (CS2 and earlier) run like crap because they are compiled for the older PPC chips. So you're stuck with Photoshop CS3 (or their just released Photoshop Elements 6), or running any windows version of Photoshop in XP or Vista (Boot Camp, another great move by Apple).

I'm about to test drive a new Mac graphics app called Pixelmator, that uses the GPU to help in image processing...as far as I can tell, it kind of a Photoshop lite, but better than Photoshop Elements (and cheaper, only $59).

LazinessThievery
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Larry Craig recommends this kind of laptop action...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/atrewsfan/Gaystripper.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 04:20 AM
Whatever you get, pick up one of these (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10353046&adid=17070&dcaid=17070) for it while it's only $8 after rebate. It's aluminum so it cools passively as well as actively with the fans. Heat is the enemy.

And Dell Vostros seem to be the least expensive way to get a laptop with a dedicated video card.

whottt
02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Get a Mac if you can afford one...I've seen some going for a thousand at bestbuy. I'm not sure what the specs are but I'd be willing to be it can handle anything you want to throw at it.

I already promised myself that the next laptop I get would be a Mac. There are just too many advantages over a Windows Laptom.

And finally...the last reason I would reccomend one...

Windows Vista.

If you haven't experienced this POS yet I'd do yourself a favor and avoid the experience altogether.

I'm not someone who hates every Windows OS in existence either...just Vista. Not only is it slow, and unstable, laden with annoying messages, but it picks up viruses easier than any other Windows OS I've ever seen.

And if you are getting any kind of a new PC...you will be getting this along with it.

I'd get a Mac if I were you.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 04:48 AM
FYI you can get Vostros with XP on them too.

I agree Vista sucks. I've turned off all the stupid GUI "improvements" and it works ok for the most past. Still some weirdness with printing and Firefox.

I don't know if you've picked one up yet, but Dell has some decent deals going on the next couple of days.