PDA

View Full Version : Let the tolling begin

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Job is awarded next month and will start in June/July.

You can take a virtual tour of it here:
http://www.alamorma.org/281_1604.html

Goes all the way past Borgfield now and anyone that has the displeasure of driving this route daily is as excited as myself.

01Snake
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Count me as excited as well!

Did you see the Jack-In-The-Box at 281/1604 is shutdown. Apparently the toll builders will be working out of it.

peewee's lovechild
02-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't have time to read up on it.

But, is 281 going to be tolled or that entire area including 1604?

02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
John, what is the anticipated completion date and is the project fast tracked with incentives/penalties?

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
John, what is the anticipated completion date and is the project fast tracked with incentives/penalties?

I don't know a lot of the details as I'm now officially out of the loop on a lot of this stuff (changed companies), but it's scheduled at 3 years but everyone seems to think they can do it at 2 1/2.

Not sure about the fast track but if it's anything like the one I worked on before it got cancelled then I would guess not.

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't have time to read up on it.

But, is 281 going to be tolled or that entire area including 1604?

Eventually everything will be, but this is just the beginning phase with 1604 not scheduled to start for quite a while.

02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't know a lot of the details as I'm now officially out of the loop on a lot of this stuff (changed companies), but it's scheduled at 3 years but everyone seems to think they can do it at 2 1/2.

Not sure about the fast track but if it's anything like the one I worked on before it got cancelled then I would guess not.

New company? Still in the same industry or did you change that as well?

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
New company? Still in the same industry or did you change that as well?

PM

degenerate_gambler
02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
doesn't affect me at all but more power to you..

JoeChalupa
02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Same here.

Extra Stout
02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
The cost for that project is overinflated by over $100 million. Basically the entire public-funding component is unnecessary. I wonder... are they just going to allow contractors to overbid the contract and then get a piece of it when they leave public office and become "lobbyists," or are they going to use their surplus funds from the toll bonds on "overhead" to give themselves outlandish salaries and perks, and build an empire? Or, will they use the extra money for a slush fund to build extraneous toll roads for developers who want them for their new subdivisions (see Fort Bend Toll Road, Houston, TX), and get kickbacks from that?

Either way, they're using the very real funding shortfall to dupe the public into letting them steal public money.

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Extra Stout]The cost for that project is overinflated by over $100 million. [QUOTE]

No it isn't.

robino2001
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
FWIW - the tollroads in Austin were built EXTREMELY quick - all opening ahead of time so far - but then again they were mostly all new and clear land (except Louis Henna and 620), obviously SA is building around existing roads.

T Park
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Let the double taxation begin.

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
FWIW - the tollroads in Austin were built EXTREMELY quick - all opening ahead of time so far - but then again they were mostly all new and clear land (except Louis Henna and 620), obviously SA is building around existing roads.

You'd be surprised at what a pain in the ass some of those roads were to build.

johnsmith
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Let the double taxation begin.

Won't argue that, but all I know is that something is desperately needed in that area specifically and TxDot claims they don't have the money to do it without tolling it, so fuck it, build the son of a bitches.

Frankly, light rail is still a cheaper, cleaner, faster, and more convenient alternative, but you can thank your city council for voting down that one.

ShoogarBear
02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Shouldn't this go in the Toll Forum?

robino2001
02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
You'd be surprised at what a pain in the ass some of those roads were to build.

I've heard about some of the issues... but they still got done VERY VERY quickly. It's made this area a lot easier to get around - I drive under one every day and drive on them maybe once every other week or so, but it's greatly lightened up traffic on my usual routes.

Chris Duel
02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
The street pirates have apparently won while The People have slept.

This is a dark day for Texas.

Back room, corrupt cronyism. That's the scam.

Ask yourself this question: Why were toll roads NEVER NECESSARY in San Antonio until now?

The Road Construction Industrial Complex has bought and paid for their political whores who have sold you and your children and grandchildren down the river.

These tolls will go on FOREVER and INCREASE regularly.

Go back to sleep, Texas.

Your elected career politicians are looking out for your interests.

johnsmith
02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
The street pirates have apparently won while The People have slept.

This is a dark day for Texas.

Back room, corrupt cronyism. That's the scam.

Ask yourself this question: Why were toll roads NEVER NECESSARY in San Antonio until now?

The Road Construction Industrial Complex has bought and paid for their political whores who have sold you and your children and grandchildren down the river.

These tolls will go on FOREVER and INCREASE regularly.

Go back to sleep, Texas.

Your elected career politicians are looking out for your interests.

Speaking as someone who has extremely close ties to a few of the folks that are instrumental in the building of these roads............there is far less, " Back room, corrupt cronyism" then you think.

It's simple math, TxDot doesn't have enough money for the necessary improvements (or just doesn't want to spend that much), there are private contractors willing to put up the amount of money needed and take a rather large risk based on past heavy civil jobs, and the contractors then must be paid for having built these roads with their own money.

It's not a conspiracy, it's necessary.

Now, are toll roads the greatest thing ever, fuck no, but they are the only way these roads are fixed.

johnsmith
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Massive amounts of urban growth throughout Texas have put incredible strain on TxDot's budget which is already fucked thanks to liberal welfare programs that have taken money that was supposed to go to roads from the gas tax and spent it elsewhere.

Furthermore, growth in SA is almost exclusive to this side of town and the main route of transportation is a 4 lane death trap that holds in it's victims with 3 foot high CTB's.

MsMcGillyCutty
02-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Oh, brother. There goes the liberal welfare program argument. :rolleyes Why can't TxDot just admit they dropped the ball and don't have a clue as to how to run their department.

johnsmith
02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh, brother. There goes the liberal welfare program argument. :rolleyes Why can't TxDot just admit they dropped the ball and don't have a clue as to how to run their department.

Fair enough. I'm not a big fan of TxDot so whatever reason you want to use doesn't bother me.

I suppose I did just sort of throw the welfare mozza ball out there without qualifying it first.

davi78239
02-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Won't argue that, but all I know is that something is desperately needed in that area specifically and TxDot claims they don't have the money to do it without tolling it, so fuck it, build the son of a bitches.

Frankly, light rail is still a cheaper, cleaner, faster, and more convenient alternative, but you can thank your city council for voting down that one.

Yea, I think the people voted that down years back and not the council. I actually voted for it. Too bad cause it could of come in handy especially now with gas prices.

AlamoSpursFan
02-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Soon, you will have to pass through a toll booth as you exit your house. You tell the state where you're going, and they tell you how much you'll have to pay to get there. Trips to the mailbox and back are free. Everything else is $0.67 per mile. On top of the $5.00 a gallon gas.

Fuck TxDot, the horse they rode in on, the army behind them and everyone who looks like them.

degenerate_gambler
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Why can't TxDot just admit they dropped the ball and don't have a clue as to how to run their department.

I don't think they dropped the ball at all. They knew what they are/were doing all along...

tapping into a huge revenue stream.

Extra Stout
02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
No it isn't.
Then why is its cost per lane-mile so much higher than, say, the Katy Freeway project?

johnsmith
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Then why is its cost per lane-mile so much higher than, say, the Katy Freeway project?

Lack of right of way.

It was a big issue on the original plan and since now there is even more stuff around there, it's an even bigger issue. The smaller the area you have to work with, the more money it costs due to time constraints.

johnsmith
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Plus the cost of reinforcing steel, which plays a fairly large part in the budget of a highway of this nature has increased by 20% this year already with another 15% expected by the end of the summer.

That and gas prices as well.

Shit's expensive.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Toll roads have been a notorious scam all over the world for decades. From what I've read, the problem generally arises in the contracts between governments and toll road companies which massively over-inflate returns for the companies over their 30-50 year terms. If they'd build in fixed rates of return, like they have with many public utilities, the public could not be exploited for windfall profits.

DarkReign
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Shouldn't this go in the Toll Forum?

http://www.braves-nation.com/forums/images/smilies/Other/rimshot.gif

johnsmith
02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
it's funny that txdot's assumption is they can't do something for no profit that private companies are schlobbing all over to get a chance to do and make billions extra

Last I checked TxDot isn't supposed to make profit.............on second thought, I think you are saying something else but I can't figure it out. Clarify please.

RashoFan
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Yea, I think the people voted that down years back and not the council. I actually voted for it. Too bad cause it could of come in handy especially now with gas prices.
Davi78239, I beleive you are correct that the public voted the light rail down.
I think it would be fantastic to have a light rail system, used one for over 4 years in San Diego. There could have been alot of potential to expand the rail system to NB, SM and even Austin. I would be drinking, eating and shopping my ass off every weekend because of money saved from driving(and tickets for DUI's, may I never drive drunk, no matter what).

johnsmith
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Davi78239, I beleive you are correct that the public voted the light rail down.
I think it would be fantastic to have a light rail system, used one for over 4 years in San Diego. There could have been alot of potential to expand the rail system to NB, SM and even Austin. I would be drinking, eating and shopping my ass off every weekend because of money saved from driving(and tickets for DUI's, may I never drive drunk, no matter what).

The vote on that was before I got here so you guys are probably right.

You're also right about the DUI thing, it was fantastic in Denver. The light rail takes you all the way from Littleton (about 30 minutes by car) and drops you off on blake street.......right where the bars are.

Way to be San Antonio!

RashoFan
02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
The vote on that was before I got here so you guys are probably right.

You're also right about the DUI thing, it was fantastic in Denver. The light rail takes you all the way from Littleton (about 30 minutes by car) and drops you off on blake street.......right where the bars are.

Way to be San Antonio!
Same In San Diego, I took The Trolley down to TJ and got drunk with my uncle every other weekend :drunk . At some of the Trolley stops, cabs would be near by to drive you back to the pier. I only had to worry about making it back into my own bunk when I got back to the ship...:lol.
Seriously, the light rail could be useful during Fiesta time. People going into and out of Med Center for appointments/ work. People commuting into downtown...I would take the light rail going into work. And extending the lines out to NB (OktoberFest...),San Marcos( Outlet Mall shopping!!!),Austin...HELLO 6TH STREET!!!! :drunk That is my vision..._allas and Houston have rail systems and they are nice....We could use one here in SA!

johnsmith
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Same In San Diego, I took The Trolley down to TJ and got drunk with my uncle every other weekend :drunk . At some of the Trolley stops, cabs would be near by to drive you back to the pier. I only had to worry about making it back into my own bunk when I got back to the ship...:lol.
Seriously, the light rail could be useful during Fiesta time. People going into and out of Med Center for appointments/ work. People commuting into downtown...I would take the light rail going into work. And extending the lines out to NB (OktoberFest...),San Marcos( Outlet Mall shopping!!!),Austin...HELLO 6TH STREET!!!! :drunk That is my vision..._allas and Houston have rail systems and they are nice....We could use one here in SA!

It would be fantastic but the southsiders would vote it down because of lack of light rail access to street corners that sell candied apples and fruit cups.