PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Jackson past suspension hump day

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Spurs notebook: Jackson past suspension hump day
Web Posted: 01/07/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010705.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.81066c8a.html

For a little more than an hour Thursday morning, it seemed like old times. Stephen Jackson was back on the floor at the SBC Center, shooting jump shots and trading jokes with his teammates.

But when the Indiana Pacers returned to the arena Thursday night, Jackson couldn't join them. He spent the evening serving the 21st game of his 30-game suspension for going into the stands and fighting with fans in Detroit on Nov. 18.

"He's doing well," said Mike Brown, Indiana's associate head coach of the former Spur. "He's over hump day, so he knows he's on a downward slide."

Jackson has been practicing with the Pacers and the NBA gave him permission to travel with the team a little more than a week ago. He will be eligible to play next month.

"He's going to be back with us before too long," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said, "so it's important he be with the team so he gets an opportunity to get reps, both at practice and the shootarounds, so he can stay tuned in."

Malik Rose didn't get a chance to go out with Jackson after the Pacers arrived in town Wednesday, but spoke with him by phone.

"He sounds like he's really doing well," Rose said.

Good cause: The Spurs are donating proceeds from the remaining tickets for Saturday afternoon's game against Denver to help the tsunami relief effort.

Time change: The Spurs' Jan. 21 game in Phoenix has been moved to 9:30 p.m. so ESPN can now broadcast it. Tipoff initially was scheduled for 8 p.m.

Did you hear? Spurs point guard Beno Udrih, named Monday as Western Conference Rookie of the Month for December, didn't know about the honor until he checked the text messages on is cellular phone that night.

"A friend from Slovenia called," said Udrih, the Slovenian rookie who averaged 6.6 points and 3.0 assists in the month of December. "Actually, he sent me a text message on my phone. I didn't check the Internet that night, so I didn't know. The Spurs told me about it the next day."

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 06:21 AM
"A friend from Slovenia called," said Udrih, the Slovenian rookie who averaged 6.6 points and 3.0 assists in the month of December. "Actually, he sent me a text message on my phone. I didn't check the Internet that night, so I didn't know. The Spurs told me about it the next day."

So, HipHoopers, was that "friend" you?