PDA

View Full Version : What changes can be made to make the All Star game a better event?

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't remember who said it, I think it was Charles Barkley who said he would like to see the All Star game played outdoors. I think that would be cool. Maybe at an outdoor football stadium. They would have seats to sell dirt cheap for the average joe who would never be able to afford to see an All Star game. Crowd participation would be much better throughout the game. No snooze fest like we see now from fans.

I would even suggest playing it on the beach. I don't know if any of you have ever played on the beach, but it's a whole different ballgame. You have to adjust to the wind. I've watched a many of NBA players play at Venice Beach (Marques Johnson and DJ played every summer) so I know that it would not be a problem for most players. I'm sure places like LA, Hawaii and Miami could accommodate such an event. Sure it would cut out the colder climate states but I'm sure those would not mind watching an occasional NBA all star game on a beach setting. If the game bores you, I'm sure you would be able to enjoy the scantly clothed ladies showing off their bikini's.:drool: The all star game would have to be played after the season which is something I think that they should do anyway, rather than the midpoint to allow warmer weather, but I think it could work.

Thoughts?

exstatic
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Eliminating it.

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Eliminating it.

:lol too much money involved. that's not happening.

spursRgay
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Personally, I like the ASG...the only other thing I think would be fun would be a US vs World game

LakeShow
02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Personally, I like the ASG...the only other thing I think would be fun would be a US vs World game

I heard that also but how would you handle the foreign players in the NBA?

Lakafan23
02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I like the ASG but if they could make it to where the game actually means something like in baseball than it would be a lot better game.

ElNono
02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I'd like them to try a few other things. Like the rooks vs soph game was terrible. Maybe have a rookies vs veterans (oldest active guys in the league) game instead.
Or like it was suggested a US vs Intl players game as an add-on to the actual east vs west game.

spursfan09
02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I like the ASG, but the weekend is just too much. I mean the rookie vs sophmore game. The celebrity game? I think they should stick to the dunk contest and the obstacle course for one night (maybe other creative games), then have the all star game the next night.

lefty
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Steroids

JamStone
02-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Reality tv show special following Adam Pacman Jones around at night at the local bars and gentlemen's clubs. Feel free to replace him with Stephen Jackson or other entertaining sports personalities that attend the events.

Dex
02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Personally, while I feel the American vs. International game would be interesting to watch and a good contest, I think the League is focusing too much on integrating the two demographics to try to pit them against each other.

I always thought a few 1-on-1 games would be interesting. Pit interesting matchups against each other and see, even for a brief meaningless contest, who comes out on top? Could you imagine Kobe and Lebron duking it out in a match to 11? Duncan vs. Garnett? Nash vs. Horry? :lol

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the celebrity crapfest or point guard challenge.

sickdsm
02-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Get rid of Master P.

What the fuck does he have to do with anything?

I can't believe they do that lame ass "celebrity" game shit.

They have a hard enough time getting people to get interested int he games that actually matter. I'd rather watch poker reruns on FSN at 2 am then any single part of the weekend, especially the dunk contest where it seems retarded props are more imortant that actually acrobatic windmill dunks like back in the day.

mikejones99
02-19-2008, 12:26 AM
millon bucks to the winner and will be like the nba finals

peskypesky
02-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I enjoyed the Rookies vs Sophomores game. It was fun to see all those young guys trying to prove themselves on a national stage.

The actual ASG did get exciting near the end, once Chris Paul got in there and decided to make it a game. But I think they need to think of some way to add an incentive to win. If they're all just out there having fun, it becomes a tad pointless.

mrsmaalox
02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I heard that also but how would you handle the foreign players in the NBA?

The same way they would handle the American guys on the foreign teams!

Trainwreck2100
02-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Trampolines

endrity
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I kinda like the whole thing as it is right now. I had a chance to watch the NBDL festivities, and they were cool as well. The NBA is thinking about putting HORSE contest on Saturday, and I am all for that.
I would love the one on ones as well, but we are not going to see them. The NBA doesn't want to create the possibility of embarassing one of their stars, as some might, during those games.
As for the ASG itself, just add some more money. This year's game was fun I thought. Those first half dunks by the East made me jump from my bed. The end was also fun, as the game was close. The money should allow it to be close more often than not I think.
I really don't wanna see a defensive struggle out there, let the stars express themselves. We got the playoffs to appreciate teamwork and defense.

ancestron
02-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I think the all star game should determine who gets homecourt advantage in the Finals. That would make the players actually play, and the coaches actually coach, and then I might actually watch.

StylisticS
02-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I like the ASG but if they could make it to where the game actually means something like in baseball than it would be a lot better game.
Fuck that. Baseball fans already hate that Bud Selig rule as it is. No way should other sports start doing that.

Brandon Bass
02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
More me, less New Orleans.

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
The same way they would handle the American guys on the foreign teams!

I said that to mean, Will players like Gino, Dirk, Tony, Pau, Ming, etc.. be considered "NBA" stars or "World Stars". The americans, i assume that play overseas should not be a problem since they do not play for the NBA.

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I guess my idea had nothing to do with the quality of the game. I would like to see some incentive for the players, but not monetary incentives. Those guys make enough money as it is and the only ones that will end up paying for it, is the fans. I really don't have a clue on what can be done but maybe the NBA can put into their contracts or rules something that would make the players take the game more seriously. We do get ONE quarter of great play from them but the early turnovers in the game, the left handed shots, the passes out of bounds were painful to the eyes.

m33p0
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
80s and 90s legends game to replace the rooks and sophs game. who wouldnt want to see old favorites like kareem going against erving again? bird vs magic? hell yeah!

as for the quality of the all star game itself, there's nothing you can do about it. asg used be where the best players went out and had fun. nowadays, these young guys ruin it by upstaging their fellow all stars. not cool in my book.

BacktoBasics
02-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I thought it was a great AS weekend. The uni's were horrible though.

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 01:40 PM
80s and 90s legends game to replace the rooks and sophs game. who wouldnt want to see old favorites like kareem going against erving again? bird vs magic? hell yeah!

as for the quality of the all star game itself, there's nothing you can do about it. asg used be where the best players went out and had fun. nowadays, these young guys ruin it by upstaging their fellow all stars. not cool in my book.

Yeah thats what I was thinking about the game itself. Not much other than money would change it, imo. btw, i see an outdoor game is planned for next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3252746

cool!