PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Want Ron Artest? (Rumor? Need ESPN Insider)

duncan228
02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Nothing but a rumor source but I don't have ESPN Insider to read the article it's based on.
Can anyone help?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/18/spurs-want-ron-artest/

Spurs Want Ron Artest?

For the next four days, you will be assaulted with rumors -- some seemingly ridiculous and some as brilliant as diamonds (or at least cubic zirconium). Consider this ESPN/Chad Ford joint (In$ider, natch) a warning volley:
Believe it or not, Ron Artest's name has come up in San Antonio. Some believe that given the team's system, he can be controlled and would give them more toughness on the wing, where Bruce Bowen is slowing down.
Ford goes on to mention Stephen Jackson was once a starter for a San Antonio title team. (He neglects this was before Jack's major reputation hits with Indiana; he also fails to mention Jackson has been lauded as a teammate in every town, while Ron-Ron... yeah, not so much.)

You'd think Sacramento would jump at an expiring contract (San Antonio always has plenty) and either Ian Mahinmi or the rights to Tiago Splitter; whether the Spurs count the loss of either as worthy risk for a six-month rental of Artest is questionable. Of course, given last year's surprisingly competitive first-round matchup with Denver, and also considered Denver appears to be the leading contender for Artest's services... it might serve as a doubled victory to sew Ron-Ron up before the trade deadline. In a world where the Phoenix Suns trade for Shaquille O'Neal, I suppose you just never know.

Mister Sinister
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
If he'd be willing to behave in SA, I'd welcome him...but I don't see that happening too soon.

E20
02-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm for Ron, crazy or uncrazy. We would be unfuckable.

duncan228
02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone got Insider?
Post the article please. :)

SequSpur
02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
down down do ya thang do ya thang...

down down do ya thang do ya thang...

to the right right right, to the left left left...

walk it by yourself and walk it by yourself...

:elephant

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
As long as we'd have someone to monitor his daily medication, we'd have the best lock down perimeter defense in the playoffs :hungry: :hungry:

IME, Bruce, Ron-Ron

spursfan09
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Wow. I would like it. I think we'll just make him hang around at Drob's house the whole time he's here. Brent Barry would go I know for sure. Who else?

50 cent
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Sounds good to me....another great defender and I think Pop could get him to behave for a few months. Ship Barry out.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Not only on defense. He could be our fourth scorer as well in some stretches, because of his size.

And he respects both Timmy and Manu (although I do remember when he was head-hunting on Manu in the '06 series) but still he gave Manu props during the series.

I also remember Pop tried to talk to him on the side during those playoffs, "use your head" so even if it's a gamble, maybe Pop can get his attention and respect.

loveforthegame
02-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow. I would like it. I think we'll just make him hang around at Drob's house the whole time he's here. Brent Barry would go I know for sure. Who else?

Barry/Elson works according to the realgm checker. I imagine we'd have to throw in a 1st round pick as well.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I just hope he doesn't take too many ill advised shots. His D is always great, and he can def. score, but sometimes he can be a black hole on offense.

Anyways, I doubt this trade will happen anyway, Denver probably has the more attractive pieces.

But I would totally welcome him to SA if this was even a possibility

smahmood26
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Shaquille O'Neal. Shawn Marion. Pau Gasol. Mike Bibby. And now Jason Kidd (almost). All traded this month.

And don't forget last summer, when Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, among others, moved in blockbuster trades.

But there's no time for us to catch our breath, because the trade deadline is only three days away, with no sign that the NBA's 30 teams are done dealing.

GMs are burning up the phone lines. Trade talk was flying in New Orleans this weekend. Several top teams are now faced with matching the acquisitions by the Lakers, the Suns and apparently the Mavericks.

Who's left out there? Which teams still want to make a move?

Here's the latest breakdown of which teams might be hoping to make moves before the deadline Thursday at 3 p.m. ET.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denver Nuggets

The Nuggets appear to be the team most likely to make a big trade this week.

Last season, their big move was to acquire Allen Iverson, with the hope that the combo of Iverson, Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby would be enough to make them competitive for the Western Conference crown. Now they're fighting just to make the playoffs in the ultracompetitive West.

The Nuggets have been widely rumored to be zeroing in on a Ron Artest deal and have also been looking for a point guard. The names Andre Miller, Delonte West and Kyle Lowry have come up, among others.

The Nuggets' tradable assets include roughly $8 million in expiring contracts, a first-round pick and Linas Kleiza, a young prospect who appeals to a number of teams. While the team would prefer to move Nene or Kenyon Martin as part of a big trade, their contracts look to be deal-killers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Cavaliers

They have been trying and trying to make a deal happen, but they've been stuck on the sidelines while Mike Bibby and now, it appears, Jason Kidd, have moved to other teams. Meanwhile, LeBron James stews.

Cleveland's problem is plain. They just don't have enough of the assets they need -- expiring contracts, talented young players, multiple draft picks -- to swing a big trade. They have only $6 million (approximately) in expiring contracts, and Daniel Gibson is their only young player coveted by other teams, and he's not available. So while they may keep trying to get their hands on Andre Miller, Kyle Lowry, Javaris Crittenton or just about any other point guard out there with a heartbeat, their chances don't look good.

San Antonio Spurs

The defending champs added a small piece to the puzzle a few weeks ago when they signed free agent Damon Stoudamire. But is he enough to power the Spurs back into the Finals? The Spurs still need depth at center, at small forward and in the backcourt, and they have roughly $15 million in expiring contracts to move in trades.

Believe it or not, Ron Artest's name has come up in San Antonio. Some believe that given the team's system, he can be controlled and would give them more toughness on the wing, where Bruce Bowen is slowing down. Bringing in Artest may sound far-fetched given the Spurs' emphasis on character and chemistry, but remember that Stephen Jackson was the starting shooting guard for one of the Spurs' recent title teams. If the need is powerful enough, San Antonio will do what it takes to win. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Bulls

What are the Bulls doing? That's one of the questions heard most these days. The team's a mess, and no one knows what their strategy is.

It's no secret that Ben Wallace is available, less than two years after Chicago made him their big catch of 2006. But unless the Bulls are willing to attach Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah to a Wallace trade, it looks unlikely that they'll be able to move him.

The Knicks have shown significant interest in acquiring Wallace, but the Bulls can't be excited about bringing in Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose -- those guys aren't going to put the Bulls over the top.

Utah Jazz

The Jazz already made one significant move this season, sending Gordan Giricek to Philadelphia for sharpshooter Kyle Korver. The team has been on fire since the move, but Utah still might be feeling a little anxious about its chances in the beefed-up West.

Andrei Kirilenko demanded a trade at the start of the season, but has since settled in and played well. Still, given his contract, he's a luxury the Jazz might be willing to move if they were to get back the right pieces for a playoff run. The team would love an athletic center and some overall depth, especially in the backcourt.

New Jersey Nets

If the Kidd trade finally goes through, only half of Rod Thorn's work will be done: The Nets still need to find a new home for Vince Carter. The problem is that VC's contract is a deal-killer for almost every team in the league -- after this season he has three years and $52 million guaranteed.

The Knicks apparently would be willing to bring on Carter, but New Jersey might not be willing to make a deal with New York. The Nets have been trying to get the Pacers to take Carter for Jermaine O'Neal, but they'd have to find a third team willing to take Carter. The Pacers are trying to reduce payroll, not add to it long-term.

Phoenix Suns

Yes, they made their big move, but there are rumblings the Suns aren't done remaking their roster. The team is still looking for a backup point guard and, we're told, a rebounding center to support Shaq. Word is that they're looking at players like Tyronn Lue (who was just traded to Sacramento, but could be repackaged again) and the Pacers' Jeff Foster.

The Suns don't have big expiring contracts, but they do have the Hawks' first-round draft pick this year.

Miami Heat

The Shawn Marion trade may just be the tip of the iceberg for Miami. Pat Riley won't ever move into true rebuilding mode.

He's trying to use the expiring contracts of Jason Williams and Ricky Davis to add a couple of more pieces to the Heat's core. He's been eyeing Mike Miller and Kyle Lowry from Memphis as well as some of the Blazers.

Houston Rockets

The Rockets were supposed to be a title contender coming into the season, and maybe they will be. But they are also fighting just to reach the playoffs after a rough start to the season.

The point guard position continues to be a problem, and the team could still use an athletic big man. Unfortunately, the Rockets don't have a lot of trade assets unless they can find a taker for someone like Shane Battier or Rafer Alston.

Orlando Magic

They spent a fortune on Rashard Lewis this summer, and they're having a good season. But no one believes Orlando is a serious threat to Boston or Detroit.

That could change if the Magic could land a power forward. They have two similar players in Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, plus roughly $13 million in expiring contracts and J.J. Redick also available if the right deal comes along.

Who would make sense for Orlando? Andrei Kirilenko for Turkoglu and expiring contracts might work for both the Magic and the Jazz.

Portland Trail Blazers

The Blazers could probably leave well enough alone. The team is playing ahead of expectations, and it has a great young core. Next season, with a healthy Greg Oden, the Blazers could be a real threat in the West. But GM Kevin Pritchard has one of the itchiest fingers in the West as well as looming roster issues, and I'm told he's been among the most active GMs on the phones, trying to make something happen.

His goal is to take a number of smaller assets and turn them into core players at point guard and small forward. He made a determined effort to nab Devin Harris from Dallas and also has been in hot pursuit of the Pacers' Danny Granger. He may land neither, but he is ready to give up players like Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez, Jarrett Jack and Martell Webster if the right opportunity comes up.

Boston Celtics

Though they have the best record in the league, the Celtics would like to improve their depth, especially at point guard and in the middle.

If the Clippers end up waiving Sam Cassell, he's expected to land in Boston. But the Celtics might not want to take a chance that Cassell remains with the Clippers or is acquired by another team. Unfortunately, the Celtics don't have any major assets they are willing to move, so a meaningful trade is not likely.

Memphis Grizzlies

Now that they've moved Pau Gasol, the widespread assumption is that the team is in fire sale mode -- recent scuttlebutt that the team is unlikely to use its salary cap space this summer only feeds the speculation.

Mike Miller has been available for a while, and now it appears the Grizzlies would like to move Kyle Lowry or Javaris Crittenton as well. GM Chris Wallace says he doesn't want to just give away those players for cap space and crappy draft picks. But after the Gasol trade, why should we expect him to hold out for more for Miller or Lowry?

Indiana Pacers

They're in a quandary. They don't want to give Jermaine O'Neal away, but until he can prove that he's healthy, his trade value isn't high enough for the Pacers to get what they think is fair value.

Other teams want Danny Granger and Shawne Williams, but I'm told the Pacers have rebuffed offers for both. That leaves Jeff Foster as perhaps their best trade chip -- a guy with enough size, toughness and rebounding ability to be valuable on a championship-caliber team. The Pacers have shopped Jamaal Tinsley for years, without success.

Sacramento Kings

The team is in rebuilding mode, as the Mike Bibby trade showed. Therefore, keeping Ron Artest and the Kings' other veterans wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Artest, Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Brad Miller can be had. Unfortunately, those players -- with the possible exception of Artest -- are hard to move. Thomas has two years and $17 million left on his contract, while Abdur-Rahim has two years and $13 million remaining and Miller has two years and $23 million to go.

Of the four, Artest has the most palatable contract, in part because he can opt out at the end of the season. And Miller's played well enough that the Kings might be able to find a taker.

Milwaukee Bucks

With Bucks GM Larry Harris in trouble, no one's sure whether owner Herb Kohl will let him make a deal. If the Bucks are active, don't be surprised if the player moved is Michael Redd. He has a ton of talent, but the three years and $34 million left on his contract are a concern for Milwaukee -- and for potential trade partners as well.

Charlie Villanueva would be easier to move. Yi Jianlian is the future at the 4, so the Bucks should move Villanueva while he still has some value. But the team has been trying to package him with Bobby Simmons -- two years, $20 million remaining -- which is why they haven't found any takers yet.

Seattle SuperSonics

The Sonics continue to position for the future, looking to move talented players for expiring contracts and draft picks.

They've received interest in several players, including Kurt Thomas, Delonte West, Chris Wilcox and Johan Petro. Thomas and West have expiring contracts, so they will cost teams an expiring contract back and a first-round pick. The Sonics would consider taking back only expiring contracts for Wilcox and Nick Collison, I'm told.

New York Knicks

It's fitting to put the Knicks at the bottom of this list, considering they've been offering dead weight like Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph (and even more undesirable players) around the league. So far, no one is biting. To be fair, each player has been hurt by playing value alongside the other, so their trade values might be artificially low.

It doesn't help matters when every team that deals with the Knicks expects them to take back terrible contracts in return. But Isiah Thomas has said he's no longer taking back huge contracts. If that's true, the chances of a big Knicks trade is pretty small unless Thomas decides he's willing to move David Lee or Nate Robinson

spursfan09
Barry/Elson works according to the realgm checker. I imagine we'd have to throw in a 1st round pick as well.

That would be awesome... I want to wake up in the morning to the breaking news of Spurs trading for Artest.

ludda
Yeah Denver is probably the front runner.

I'm divided, but ultimately would like it. Its just that Artest is a complete mental case.

Leetonidas
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
OMG if that was to happen, think of this defensive unit:

C - Tim
PF - Artest
SF - Udoka
SG - Bowen
PG - Parker/Ginobili

No one could score on them at the Spurs would still have 3 scorers in the lineup. :wow

picnroll
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't wan to give up Mahinmi or Splitter for a brief rental of Artest. Artest is not good at team offense, the ball stops in his hands.

td4mvp21
02-18-2008, 11:09 PM
OMG if that was to happen, think of this defensive unit:

C - Tim
PF - Artest
SF - Udoka
SG - Bowen
PG - Parker/Ginobili

No one could score on them at the Spurs would still have 3 scorers in the lineup. :wow

I was thinking the same thing...imagine that lineup vs. the Mavs and Celtics especially.

Leetonidas
02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Spurs no doubt would be the favorites if they acquired Artest.

Mr. Body
02-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Uh... it sounds like he's been reading this board. I doubt the F.O. has brought it up.

Holt's Cat
02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Brad Miller

ludda
02-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Once Denver gets wind of this, they will relent to their Kleiza package.

Tigole Bitties
02-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Package deal involving Artest and Beano.

hah

Radiosparks
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Adding Artest would be awesome!

dg7md
02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Then we can have Parker and Artest do freestyles after championship rallies.

theroc5
02-18-2008, 11:29 PM
wow to think
Duncan
Artest
bowen
udoka

all out at the same time :drunk

never going to happen though i would love it if it did.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I just hope he doesn't take too many ill advised shots. His D is always great, and he can def. score, but sometimes he can be a black hole on offense.

Anyways, I doubt this trade will happen anyway, Denver probably has the more attractive pieces.

But I would totally welcome him to SA if this was even a possibility

This trade would hinge on the ideal playing out...

With Artest he adds a lot of depth he'd have to accept his lesser role as an offensive piece with good guidance...if he "gets it" and doesn't need touches to feed his ego we'd definitely be leapfrogging into a better position (although I still think we need one more big man to help Timmy-Oberto)

We Spurs fans like to think of the best possible scenario, it's still a gamble

but what about the worst??? he's been dormant this year, but I think he's certifiably a head-case for life...

Anyway, I'm sure the FO are giving all these considerations with much better feedback at hand than just fan speculation and random articles.

I'm more for an Artest trade than against it, just because the thought of decimating teams with our defense again...we could handle the Mavericks/Lakers/Suns offense on the perimeter...:hungry:

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Ron, you better be on your best behavior

Pablo Escobar
02-18-2008, 11:37 PM
i saw on outside the lines that denver was going to land him they didnt say anything about san antonio

stxspurs
02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
im down with it as long as tiago splitter isnt involved

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
im down with it as long as tiago splitter isnt involved

i concur

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
dont give up on 2010 if you dont have to

duncan228
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I could warm up to Artest.
I love his defense and that's what wins Championships.
But as has been said by many, the guy is certifiable.

Maybe Pop is the one that can keep him in line.
If Artest can behave I think it could be a good move for us.

(Did I just say that?)

smahmood26
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Problem is, if Artest is on the floor, that means Bruce can't be. We know Manu, Parker, and Duncan will be. But with all the size in the west (Gasol-Bynum, Stoudemire-Sahq, Scola-Ming, Martin-Camby) Oberto or Horry would have to play. If they can work around that, I'm all for it.

SequSpur
02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I sign off on this deal.

50 cent
02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I'd do this and it works....

Barry
Elson
Manhinmi

for

Artest

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~234~2774~25&teams=23~23~23~24&te=&cash=23:24

50 cent
02-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Also, I'm certain Artest could play Gasol very well.

2pac
02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Spurs up by 1. 25 seconds.
Lineup of:
Duncan
Artest
Bowen
Udoka
Ginobili

Could anyone score?
Not even a team of Ditkas.

Buddy Holly
02-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Why not:

Barry
Finley
Elson
Horry
Ian
Picks
Cash

for

Artest and B.Miller

picnroll
02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Why not:

Barry
Finley
Elson
Horry
Ian
Picks
Cash

for

Artest and B.Miller
Because Miller is owed $11 million next year and $12 million the year after.

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Bring it on.

Rumors though, I must say I put very little into it though.

Barry Elson and whoever else? Sure thing. Wouldn't hurt to have Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, and Tim Duncan starting all together.

hell of a defensive tandem that would be.

Solid D
02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
"Ron's name has come up in San Antonio" is hardly a strong indicator of a trade.

ducks
02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
would they do it just for expiring contacts?

Mr. Body
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Barry+Elson

a first? yes

Mahinmi? hate to do it, but okay

Splitter? no

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Barry+Elson

a first? yes

Mahinmi? hate to do it, but okay

Splitter? no

What he said. +1

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:14 AM
"Ron's name has come up in San Antonio" is hardly a strong indicator of a trade.

That's why I wanted to see the article, to see if it had more than the rumor blog did.

2pac
02-19-2008, 12:15 AM
would they do it just for expiring contacts?

The Nuggets deal was Expiring Najera and prospect Klienza.

Why not for more expiring deals (Barry+Elson=8mm off the books) plus a cheap prospect in Ian+a pick?

Maybe a lesser prospect, but better caproom.

ludda
02-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I remember reading somewhere (dont take my word for it) that Sac was just waiting for Denver to throw in a pick into their Kleiza package for Artest.

Their package is infinitely better. Sac wants a package around a young player a la Kleiza. But who knows.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 12:17 AM
why stop there? Throw in Parker

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2008, 12:19 AM
The deal is done once the Nuggets FO gives up Kleiza. Thats the only sticking point.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey, what could go wrong? This is just like NBA Live

objective
02-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I could see Barry/Elson, and maybe even adding a first round pick

But adding Mahinmi or Splitter would be foolhardy.

Everybody knows it would just be a rental of Artest, no matter what. Everyone knows he wants to opt out and play in New York.

Even if he's open to staying in SA this summer, even supposing they win a ring this year, does anybody seriously think the Spurs would give him a long term deal for big numbers in order to keep him given his history? Even a short term 3-year deal for big numbers?

This is the same front office that wouldn't even give Stephen Jackson more than 3 million a year after he started on a title team and was absolutely vital to the run and hit giant clutch shots. And Jackson at that point had never started a giant brawl, quit on his team to run a music label, demand a trade, abuse dogs, threaten to retire, get repeated calls of 911 for police to come to his residence, and all other sorts of shenanigans like Artest has.

Artest for Barry/Elson fine, add a first even, but it's just a short term thing.

Mr. Body
02-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure I'd give up Kleiza if I were Denver.

Findog
02-19-2008, 12:24 AM
A team with Melo, J.R. Smith and Artest all together? Yeah, nothing can go wrong there :lmao

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Kleiza wouldn't keep me from getting Ron Artest.

Dunno whats the big deal about him.

Findog
02-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Kleiza wouldn't keep me from getting Ron Artest.

Dunno whats the big deal about him.

How about, he's not fucking nuts?

ShoogarBear
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
They should get Artest.

And then bring Jimmy Chang back.

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm warming up to the idea.

On second thought, I'd rather they acquire Pietrus than Artest.

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
How about, he's not fucking nuts?

Cuban is and you guys let him stick around.

I mean look at the TRADE HE JUST MADE!?!!?!

Findog
02-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Cuban is and you guys let him stick around.

I mean look at the TRADE HE JUST MADE!?!!?!

It's not that crazy.

ludda
02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
NO ONE beats Artest in mental instability. Not even close.

That said, if we can get him for cheap, I'd do it.

ducks
02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
A team with Melo, J.R. Smith and Artest all together? Yeah, nothing can go wrong there :lmao
:smokin
these playoffs are getting easier every day :cooldevil

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:40 AM
It's not that crazy.

Its nucking futs I tell you.

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:40 AM
:lol I highly doubt there's any merit to this rumor. Perhaps the Spurs inquired about him, but I doubt it has gotten very far or will it get very far. Going after Artest doesn't really seem to follow the Spurs past actions; they hardly ever go after a guy with questionable character as high as Artest, and 2ndly they hardly ever react to monumental trades or panic midseason enough to make such a big trade as this would entail.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 12:42 AM
:lol I highly doubt there's any merit to this rumor. Perhaps the Spurs inquired about him, but I doubt it has gotten very far or will it get very far. Going after Artest doesn't really seem to follow the Spurs past actions; they hardly ever go after a guy with questionable character as high as Artest, and 2ndly they hardly ever react to monumental trades or panic midseason enough to make such a big trade as this would entail.

you're moving up my list :tu

E20
02-19-2008, 12:43 AM
If Ron is on the team, he and Tony can come out with a new single.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2008, 12:43 AM
i love it on here how some people laugh and criticse the deals in the West like Kidd to the Mavs, Shaq to the Suns and possibly Artest to Nuggets etc but then the same people get excited when the Spurs sign Dleague scrubs or a has been PG from Memphis :lol

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
you're moving up my list :tu

Damn, I didn't realize I was so low on your list to begin with :depressed

:lol

T Park
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
dont like it? get the fuck out.

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
i love it on here how some people laugh and criticse the deals in the West like Kidd to the Mavs, Shaq to the Suns and possibly Artest to Nuggets etc but then the same people get excited when the Spurs sign Dleague scrubs or a has been PG from Memphis :lol

It's a Spurs fans website and our team is the defending champions...what did you expect? :wtf

ducks
02-19-2008, 12:48 AM
because the spurs are still better then anyteam in the west
and when that has been point guard they are still treading water with tp out
someone denver would be lucky to do without either ai or melo

YODA
few thoughts here. People forget some of the people we have gotten or pursued in the past. Less we forget Dennis Rodman Or maybe people recall us going after Sprewell. Pop was big on him. So Ron Artest is not out of reach, I just dont think Pop will pull the trigger on this one.

bostonguy

Artest is pretty much a lock to not have an exploding fiasco. This is his contract year and he knows it. He will behave more than ever if anything because if he acts up, he knows his chances of getting a pay raise/making it in this league are gone. If your the spurs you do this trade. What the future will be with Rons head you can predict all you want but trust me, the son of a bitch will be a good little rental especially if that team is elite. Barry is old as shit plus hurt and Elson is just shit. If the spurs are in position to make this trade (granted the kings are willing to accept barry/elson/picks) and they dont pull the trigger, than they are just retarded unless of course it meant Mike Miller. These next few months is make or break for Ron $$$ wise and nba career wise and he knows it. He will play the most inspired ball while being on his best behavior these next 3-4 months.

Amuseddaysleeper
Damn, I didn't realize I was so low on your list to begin with :depressed

:lol

you moved up from #7 to #3

better? :toast :p:

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2008, 12:49 AM
gee you guys are touchy :lol

I said i 'love it' , in other words i think its hilarious coz it is the same on most team boards.

Heck i was excited about getting Chucky Atkins and look how that has turned out :smokin

settle down people.

some_user86
02-19-2008, 12:51 AM

Because this ain't NBA Live 2008. Number rule is you don't fuck around with chemistry (or at least you don't make it worse without having the personnel to handle it).

bostonguy
02-19-2008, 12:53 AM
I could also give 2 shits about a players character off the court. As long as they do their job on the court and help the team win, they can do whatever the hell they want.

YODA
02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
who would u prefer.....Artest or Miller?????

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I could also give 2 shits about a players character off the court. As long as they do their job on the court and help the team win, they can do whatever the hell they want.

The Spurs don't roll like that.
They want the character on and off the court.
That's a big part of the Artest conversation. His character doesn't fit the Spurs locker room.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
few thoughts here. People forget some of the people we have gotten or pursued in the past. Less we forget Dennis Rodman Or maybe people recall us going after Sprewell. Pop was big on him. So Ron Artest is not out of reach, I just dont think Pop will pull the trigger on this one.
Pop's made some defensive comments before where I think he was a little ticked about the Spurs FO being stereotyped (that there's a general assumption that Pop only looks for "boyscouts".) or something like that.
Yeah, they value chemistry, but it's still a business and in practical matters, I'm not surprised they've gone after a few players who don't "fit" the mold, at least in trade considerations.

(We definitely dodged a bullet in J.R. Smith, not just because of his subsequent incidents, but he was horrible during the playoffs. Him getting thrown under the bus by the coach was good indicator that he didn't have the mental game to play on that stage.)

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
The one thing I will always have faith in Pop, if bringing Artest was to miraculously happen, is that he would have no problem benching him for the duration of the playoffs if Artest steps out of line.

And while a part of me would hate to move Barry (we can't underestimate how much his ball movement does for the team's offense) I think Barry/Elson and a draft pick (that isn't Splitter) is fair enough for a 6 month audition of Artest.

bostonguy
02-19-2008, 01:08 AM
That's a big part of the Artest conversation. His character doesn't fit the Spurs locker room.

If character off the court affects the team on the court, then yes Spurs dont roll like that. However if off the court character has no affect on the court and this player really improves their chances of winning a championship and contributes and gives it his all at practice, games etc. I highly doubt Pop will give a rats ass about the rest. As long as it doesnt effect the team or risk effecting the team, they arent going to look into that. Players arent role models nor should ever been looked to as that.

I want players who help the team win. I dont care if they are arrogant classless assholes as long as they do their job that is all that matters. I dont look to them as role models nor should anyone. Parents are role models not athletes. :)

duncan228
02-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Players arent role models nor should ever been looked to as that.

I want players who help the team win. I dont care if they are arrogant classless assholes as long as they do their job that is all that matters. I dont look to them as role models nor should anyone. Parents are role models not athletes. :)

I agree, parents should be their kids role models.

Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world.
The marketing of pro athletes has put them in every kids living room.
Lots of kids today spend more time with the TV and video games than they do with their parents.
They play out their fantasy winning shot at the buzzer on every playground.
Kids do look at athletes as role models, I think they always have and technology has made it more so.

As adults we can separate the good from the bad. From what they do on the court from off it.
Kids can't always do that.
And if their "hero" is an arrogant, classless asshole, they think it's cool to be like that.

word
02-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Again, it ain't gonna happen but I think Artest would fit right in with the Spurs and would be a good acquisition. I've never been a believer that people don't grow up and mature or change. Artest had some missteps in his early career but I've never thought of him as evil incarnate.

ShoogarBear
02-19-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't think Artest's problem is growing up. I think his problem is that he has an honest-to-goodness mental illness, and he hasn't found the right balance between getting treatment and playing professional basketball.

phyzik
02-19-2008, 01:38 AM
honestly I dont know what to think of this trade. If it happens... great.... If it's just a rumor... great...

If anyone is going to be able to keep him under control, its Pop. If HE cant, then Ron is a lost cause in the NBA. I honestly believe if he were to come, this would be his last stop, for good or for bad.

ShoogarBear
02-19-2008, 01:47 AM
If anyone is going to be able to keep him under control, its Pop. If HE cant, then Ron is a lost cause in the NBA. I honestly believe if he were to come, this would be his last stop, for good or for bad.http://images.greatseats.com/300x180/new_york_knicks3001x180.jpg

word
02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
As long as were talking impossibilities or improbabilities...I'd like to see Ben Wallace in a Spurs uniform. I've always liked Big Ben and he's supposedly on the block.

Matt Bonner
Ime Udoka
Brent Barry
Robert Horry
Francisco Elson

for Big Ben.

T Park
02-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Ben Wallace stinks offensively and is done.

no thanks.

Supreme_Being
02-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Who doesn't want a ring?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Who doesn't want a ring?

Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson

Blackjack
02-19-2008, 02:46 AM
If you can get Artest for Barry,Elson,and next years 1st round pick you do it. Barry's chances of coming back after two injuries to the calf and picking up where he left off are slim at best. He's always been one of my favorite players and Barry plays an important role on this team,but even when healthy Pop hasn't used him all that much in the playoffs. So as much as I love the guy I'd rather have another weapon in the rotation,than a cheerleader on the bench.

Elson gets alot of shit on this board(most of which he deserves),but he's the one big on this team who's able to move his feet out on the perimeter to guard the face-up 4's and 5's. When he played Dirk,Rasheed,and even Garnett last year he played them as well as a role player can be expected to guard a star player. Problem is, that Elson doesn't play here anymore. He's lost his confidence(hard to find ones confidence in Pops doghouse) and I don't expect him to find it any time soon.

The 1st rounder we'd give up next year wouldn't be all that bad. With Ian and Tiago likely to be on the team next year that's about all the inexperience Pop can take. This is a veteran team whose time to win is now. Youth is best served on a team like this with hustle,energy,and effort. You know,shit that doesn't require to much thought. Ian and Tiago should be able to fill that role next year.

I've never been a huge fan of Artest but I see this as a low-risk,high-reward deal. The chance that he could come to a team like this and destroy our chance at a back-to-back in less than half a season I find laughable. Everything I've heard about Artest is that he's got a good heart and he genuinely wants to win. He may be a little crazy,but he wants to win a title and he wants to get paid. So if he comes here he'll bust his ass and be on his best behavior. If he turns out to be what Rodman was to the Bulls than we win another championship or two. If not,he's gone at the end of the year. Like I said low-risk,high reward.

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2008, 02:55 AM
i do the trade if it cost us a first round pick and ian

we can always sign scrubs from dleague to refill the roster next season or bring over the euro farmers splitter and sanikidze.

NOBODY is going to fuk with the spurs once we acquired RONRON

Princess Pimp
02-19-2008, 03:19 AM
i do the trade if it cost us a first round pick and ian

we can always sign scrubs from dleague to refill the roster next season or bring over the euro farmers splitter and sanikidze.

NOBODY is going to fuk with the spurs once we acquired RONRON

No trade :nope

SA Gunslinger
02-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Don't give up on Barry. He was stroking it well before he reinjured his calf.

Artest is tempting but Udoka does similar things. Focus on a cheap big.

Streakyshooter08
02-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Well, as I stated a lot of times, I would like to have him without giving up one of the big 3. My only problem is: Why would Sacramento do it? I don't see how they are interested in expiring contracts if Ron plans to opt out anyways. I woudl agree with the most in here: a first rounder? yes. Mahninmi... okay. Splitter? No.

Well, maybe the espn insiders only read the forum and it is not really true. :)

smeagol
02-19-2008, 04:13 AM
(We definitely dodged a bullet in J.R. Smith, not just because of his subsequent incidents, but he was horrible during the playoffs. Him getting thrown under the bus by the coach was good indicator that he didn't have the mental game to play on that stage.)

I think that had more to do with Karl being a moron.

whottt
02-19-2008, 04:28 AM
I'd be in favor of bringing in Artest...

He may be a headcase but he respects the hell out of Tim Duncan.

And whatever his mental outlook might be....he loves playing defense which means Pop is going to like him and so is Duncan.

The deal most people are mentioning...plus either Mahinmi or Splitter...either one of them. That works for me :tu

Next year is next year....this is now. You win when you have the chance to win...not next season.

And I do not want to see Artest on the Nuggets. That would not be a good thing for us...they are bitch enough as it is.

Believe it or not...our problems with Artest are not his defense...Manu pretty much handles him...it's his offense that gives us problems.

His D however could be a huge bonus for us against the Mavs.

Anyway...consider me signed off on a deal for Artest.

Bruno
02-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Trading for Artest is a risky move but I think it could work.
Artest is a heck of a player and I have the feeling than being with Spurs could significantly lower his off and on the court antics.
Artest will also be the long time needed SF/PF.

Given the risk in getting Artest, I can easily understand Spurs not being interested in him and I want him as a Spurs only on the cheap.
Elson + Barry + a first round pick or Mahinmi is the max I would be ready to give for Artest.

whottt
02-19-2008, 05:19 AM
As far as the Linus Kleiza thing goes....I think Ian and Splitter are both potentially better than Kleiza. I think Kleiza is a 2 guard and the Kings already have a pretty decent one in Martin. I'd have to say that the Spurs offer is better...since Denver's pick isn't going to be that much better than SA's...who knows? It might not be worse than SA's.

m33p0
02-19-2008, 05:43 AM
If character off the court affects the team on the court, then yes Spurs dont roll like that. However if off the court character has no affect on the court and this player really improves their chances of winning a championship and contributes and gives it his all at practice, games etc. I highly doubt Pop will give a rats ass about the rest. As long as it doesnt effect the team or risk effecting the team, they arent going to look into that. Players arent role models nor should ever been looked to as that.

I agree, parents should be their kids role models.

Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world.
The marketing of pro athletes has put them in every kids living room.
Lots of kids today spend more time with the TV and video games than they do with their parents.
They play out their fantasy winning shot at the buzzer on every playground.
Kids do look at athletes as role models, I think they always have and technology has made it more so.

As adults we can separate the good from the bad. From what they do on the court from off it.
Kids can't always do that.
And if their "hero" is an arrogant, classless asshole, they think it's cool to be like that.

this discussion deserves its own thread. :tu to both of you.

my take on the rumor:
big risk, huge gain. teams can forget about scoring from the outside. artest can guard perimeter players as well as lowpost scorers other than shaq and tim. teams will be hard put to find someone to play pick and roll against.

i'm not concerned about him flipping off and running to the stands to punch a poor fan. i think he learned his lesson knowing that he ruined reggie miller's best chance of winning a ring. what i'm concerned about is him becoming grumpy because of lack of touches. if he can understand that this team doesn't play for statistics, he will be fine. he has always respected tim's game and pop as a coach and he obviously likes manu's competitiveness.

anyway, if denver ends up getting artest, everybody in the rockies should head to the nearest bomb shelter. you can scratch nuggets off the board. you can only have enough ego in one team after all.

m33p0
02-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson
:lmao

SouthernFried
02-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Any update on Barry?

If Barry's calf becomes whole again, I'd want him to stay. He's the guy I feel most comfortable shooting three's...and this team relies heavily on three's. Plus his passing, transition D, court awareness and chemistry are all very good. I don't really want to lose him.

IF he can get healthy again.

If not...

urunobili
02-19-2008, 07:06 AM
i am not so sure.. but his willingness to win a ring will make him behave and get some spotlight before free agency

Bruno
02-19-2008, 07:12 AM
As far as the Linus Kleiza thing goes....I think Ian and Splitter are both potentially better than Kleiza. I think Kleiza is a 2 guard and the Kings already have a pretty decent one in Martin.

Kleiza is a SF/PF.
He is only 23 years old and has a very good season. He has a high trade value.

manubili
02-19-2008, 07:16 AM
If spurs were the bad guys last season, with artest in the team, they would be the axis of terror, specially for the refs.

Cherry
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM

I don't want this guy in the locker room! :pctoss :madrun

timvp
02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I need to clear my head from the Vegas weekend but I'm not 100% sure I'd be behind acquiring Artest. Defensively, great fit. Chemistry-wise, not a very good fit but I wouldn't be too worried about that because the Spurs have such good chemistry as is that one rotten egg wouldn't spoil it.

Offensively is where I'm not convinced he'd work. The ball always gets stuck on him when he's in a team setting. He over-dribbles, holds the ball too long and isn't known to make the extra pass. Perhaps that would change once he came to the unselfish atmosphere of the Spurs, but I'm so sure.

Basically, I like the Spurs how they are currently constructed. You bring in someone like Artest and you have to change a whole lot ... especially offensively. I'm not ready to blow up the offense. I'd prefer a more seamless fit like Mike Miller who could fit in with what the Spurs do. Artest is pretty much a basketball loner when he's on the court. Even defensively he's not great in terms of rotating.

A trade for Artest, even if not giving up much, would be a panic trade. Unless the Spurs have reason to panic, my opinion in my current state is that they should leave well enough alone.

However, I'll come with my final answer later in the day ........

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Kleiza is a SF/PF.
He is only 23 years old and has a very good season. He has a high trade value.

Exactly. Dude scorched the Jazz for 41pts earlier this year and has played great BUT has been terrible lately and i think it's due to all the trade buzz around him.

I'll be glad when the deadline passes coz i guess young guys can get sidetracked by that kind of stuff.

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Get this fvcking deal done now.

ATXSPUR
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't give a damn how big a thug he is or whether he is as insane as jeffrey dahmer...MAKE THIS TRADE!

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Artest has had a very short shelf-life at every stop he's been at. He's never been happy wherever he's been and basically is a powderkeg waiting to explode.

If the Spurs DID get him, he'd probably only be good for about 2 seasons.

Mr. Body
02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Artest has had a very short shelf-life at every stop he's been at. He's never been happy wherever he's been and basically is a powderkeg waiting to explode.

If the Spurs DID get him, he'd probably only be good for about 2 seasons.

That's probably as long as they want him. Hoopshype has him with a player option next year...? Through next season is likely the last they'd want him.

rascal
02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
The spurs front office reads in here.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Artest
Duncan

how could any team compete with that? that is also the best small ball lineup in the NBA

ChumpDumper
02-19-2008, 11:25 AM
The spurs front office reads in here.For laughs.

T Park
02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Especially as soon as they read "I would put Manu on the trading block" from the genius that is Rascal.

Kibic
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Artest + Beno for Parker?

:spin

But Kings can't afford it.

rascal
02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I like those per 48 minute projections. Its not an advantage to play fewer minutes.

Problem with it, you can project every players stats in the league per 48 minutes and you would find incredibly high numbers. Also what are the difference in numbers when Duncan or Parker or Kobe or any of the other stars are out of the game?

Unless you have all the stats you cannot justly compare the numbers.

rascal
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Kori: Any feedback to you that the spurs or the spurs front office reads in here?

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
There is a reason why teams are passing up on Artest. He's even crazier than what you see in games. I've read reports from NBA scouts who say Artest will not correctly run plays down the stretch if they are not run for him. Instead of setting screens for other guys he's flashing down in the post demanding the ball. The guy is a certified nutcase and if you want him on your team you're even crazier than he is.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Kori: Any feedback to you that the spurs or the spurs front office reads in here?I'm sure they do, but not to get trade ideas.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2008, 12:34 PM
There is a reason why teams are passing up on Artest. He's even crazier than what you see in games. I've read reports from NBA scouts who say Artest will not correctly run plays down the stretch if they are not run for him. Instead of setting screens for other guys he's flashing down in the post demanding the ball. The guy is a certified nutcase and if you want him on your team you're even crazier than he is.The great thing about that is, if he starts breaking plays he'll get benched. His former teams depended on him too much and Artest could always argue he was the best player on the team -- even if it wasn't true. He would be the fourth option on the Spurs, and if he didn't play like it, he wouldn't be an option at all.

jag
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
What ever happened to our system being so difficult that it takes a little over a year to pick up?

I like this deal though, dont know if Pop likes the idea of Artest on his roster though.

Not to mention i'd be scared to sit within the first 15 rows of any Spurs games.

Mr. Body
02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
The great thing about that is, if he starts breaking plays he'll get benched. His former teams depended on him too much and Artest could always argue he was the best player on the team -- even if it wasn't true. He would be the fourth option on the Spurs, and if he didn't play like it, he wouldn't be an option at all.

Exactly. That's what has me intrigued, if not actually fully on board. Artest has always been the number one or two guy on his team. In Indiana, O'Neal was perhaps number one, but not by much, and Reggie was checking out more or less. In Sacramento Artest can be said to have been number one. Artest is a luxury, in a way, if the Spurs got him, because they don't need him and he's fourth in the pecking order. If it were Barry+Elson alone, I'd do it and see what comes.

Also, he's never been on a team with strong personalities. Indiana had no strong personalities - as great as Reggie was, he was never dominant - and give me a break with Sacramento, with weak coaches and Bibby and Brad Miller, hardly strong types. San Antonio has two dominant personalities, Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich. I'd just say, if there were anywhere where Artest would work, it's San Antonio.

But the breaking plays and not working in set offenses is probably the killing point.

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
no thanks

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/artest.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-19-2008, 01:05 PM
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/7417/artestwithpuppies7eo.jpg

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
The great thing about that is, if he starts breaking plays he'll get benched. His former teams depended on him too much and Artest could always argue he was the best player on the team -- even if it wasn't true. He would be the fourth option on the Spurs, and if he didn't play like it, he wouldn't be an option at all.
Chump, are you in favor of trading for Artest?

I never thought you'd ever agree with me on anything.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
You didn't notice I have been fine with an Artest trade since before you even came back.

Good to know you haven't been reading my posts. :tu

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I have been reading, but you have not been as direct as now.

Well done.

It's a risk worth taking and we can still bench his @ss or let him go in the summer.

Who cares about a first round pick given the team's current makeup and the young guys we have on tap?

Mr. Body
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM

He's doing it wrong. Those should be pit bulls with scar marks.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Who cares about a first round pick given the team's current makeup and the young guys we have on tap?

Yeah, the Spurs couldn't use any picks. They don't have 4 postseasons with Duncan left after this season.

timaios
02-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Ron Artest with his dinner...
:devil

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, the Spurs couldn't use any picks. They don't have 4 postseasons with Duncan left after this season.
Good luck with that.

You can waste time cultivating a rookie next year.

I'll win with Artest now.

P.S.

Don't he have some young talent ready to contribute as early as next year as it is?

Weak take, pal.

You don't hang on to a 2008 draft pick if you can get Artest... not if you are the Spurs and have veterans and former draft picks poised to help.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I think the weakest take is the notion that a player who is worth only a couple of expiring contracts and a 1st round pick due to his insanity is somehow a sure thing that guarantees that the Spurs will 'win now'.

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Okay... you don't want Artest even for a bargain asking price.

You've made that much clear.

Thanks!

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Um, yeah. Congrats on finally figuring it out.

Streakyshooter08
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
One thing I liked about Ron is that he said, if he opts out he will look to play for a ring and that money is not his priority. I think it really depends on what you have to give up. If it is really only Barry, Elson and a 1st rounder you HAVE to do it. Elson is wothless, so it is pretty much Barry for Artest. Artest stated that he really respects TD and I also think that Pop would handle him well. And even if he does not work out you would still have the big 3 along with Fin, Bowen, Vaughn, Oberto, Horry, Udoka.... He is a good defender and is able to score as well. The opportunity to play for the ring might give him some extra focus.

If you can get him without blowing up the team completely. Do it.

That said, I think the chances to get him are really really slim.

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Um, yeah. Congrats on finally figuring it out.
Nah.

I've always known that you are a scared contrarian.

For the record, Holt's Cat wants to send the same package for Kurt Thomas that we could get Ron Artest for.

Did you lose your b@lls the same time you lost your mind?

Holt's Cat
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Nah.

I've always known that you are a scared contrarian.

Scared of what? I'm not the one advocating taking on a known nutcase because a couple other teams made some trades.

For the record, Holt's Cat wants to send the same package for Kurt Thomas that we could get Ron Artest for.

Sure, because there is actually a need for Thomas. And he's a playoff tested bigman who is not insane.

Did you lose your b@lls the same time you lost your mind?

Nah. I think with my mind and use my balls to procreate.

Ghost Writer
02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Very well, then.

coopdogg3
02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I would much rather have Kurt Thomas (or Diop or some other center that can rebound, block, and get garbage points) than Artest. There is a fine line between stupidity and bravery. Between having balls and pulling the trigger on a panic trade.

Artest strikes me as a stupid, panic trade. Artest has an incredibly low shooting %, adds nothing to the team dynamic (in fact he'll probably take away from it), but he does play good defense. I think the negatives out-weigh the positives with Artest.

And the line that we can just bench Artest if he goes nutty means we're trading for someone who won't play. Doesn't make sense to me. We know what KT will bring. We know that he will add to our team. We know that he will improve our play from the center position. We know that KT increases our chances of winning a championship. I see no reason to take the chance of acquiring Artest, especially when I think all the recent trades have weakened 2 of our strongest competitors (I think Dallas and Phoenix got weaker), granted the Lakers got stronger - but we should still be able to beat them.