PDA

View Full Version : Spurs tried to acquire Josh Childress

ducks
02-19-2008, 12:04 AM
The San Antonio Spurs are most interested in getting Tony Parker back in the lineup and seeing what their roster looks like at full strength. But with a couple of expiring contracts of their own, most notably that of Brent Barry, they've also actively looked for additional help. The Spurs were in the Kyle Korver talks with Philadelphia, but didn’t want to give up a first-round pick. They also talked to the Atlanta Hawks about Josh Childress, but were quickly rebuffed.

With Shaquille O’Neal now in Phoenix and Yao Ming’s Houston Rockets coming on strong, the Spurs also might be in the market for more size.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjzSRayE1CO4jcuasHTire.8vLYF?slug=ys-tradecountdown021808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Lots of conversation going on.
Here and in the FO.
Maybe something will happen...

greens
02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
It just seems like SA is having trouble reaching deals...

ducks
02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
josh is worth more then expiring contacts

davi78239
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
is that the dude with the afro from stanford? The one that played against UTSA when they made the big dance a couple of years ago?

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
If I'm the Spurs, I might be inclined to burn a 1st round pick and an expiring contract for Childress. For a younger, more proven player like Korver, it's probably worth it.

timvp
07-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Bump.

This is one guy who we know the Spurs like. Why not offer Childress a front loaded offer worth the entire MLE? The Hawks may have trouble matching, especially if teams go after Josh Smith.

Childress is a good character guy who can defend, is long and very athletic. Sure his shooting form may give Chip Engelland a heart attack but Childress is a career 52%+ shooter with range beyond the three-point line, so it's not like he's a liability.

Giving Childress a max offer makes a lot of sense. Hawks should match ... but then again, they are the Hawks for a reason.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 07:06 AM
He definitely fits the way the league is headed and the way the Spurs are trying to mold their supporting cast.

Mr. Body
07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Childress is my guy. The Hawks would be foolish not to match. Not trading him when they could - and this was before a good playoffs - indicates they want to keep him.

exstatic
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Without including one of the big three? That would be yes. Most teams have only a big one or maybe a big two, and they don't want to give one of those up without getting back one of T,T,&M.

urunobili
07-01-2008, 07:30 AM
i am all in for Childress... i dunno if they'll give him up though...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Bump.

This is one guy who we know the Spurs like. Why not offer Childress a front loaded offer worth the entire MLE? The Hawks may have trouble matching, especially if teams go after Josh Smith.

Childress is a good character guy who can defend, is long and very athletic. Sure his shooting form may give Chip Engelland a heart attack but Childress is a career 52%+ shooter with range beyond the three-point line, so it's not like he's a liability.

Giving Childress a max offer makes a lot of sense. Hawks should match ... but then again, they are the Hawks for a reason.

:tu

And Childress fits the team's needs better than some other guys, notably Ryan Gomes, who I really like, but is basically a bigger Ime.

kobyz
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Bump.

But he probably will want a 4-5 years contract and that not going with our 2010 plan

bigdog
07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I think the Hawks will try to match, but I think Josh Smith is more of a priority for them, and by the time they lock up Smith, Childress might be on another team(maybe Spurs).

I really like Childress, but his jumpshot is uglier than anything I've ever seen, although his shooting percentage certainly isn't bad at all.

I say we make a run at him.

kobyz
07-01-2008, 08:33 AM
he has the Bonner jump shot

tav1
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Sekou Smith reported yesterday that 4 "vet laden playoff teams" were expected to offer Childress the full MLE. Read from that what you will.

MoSpur
07-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I like Childress' size, but I'd rather offer that type of money to JR Smith.

Extra Stout
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Bump.

Pop: R.C., have you finished that free agent report yet?

R.C.: Um, I'm still working on it.

Pop: Lemme guess, 'working on it' means you're reading Spurstalk again.

R.C.: Er, um, no, um...

Pop: Well, at least somebody on that forum is doing the free agent research for you.

R.C.: Uh...

Pop: And hey, if you're going to spend all day on that site, could you at least actually stick with reading the free agent threads?

Pop: Instead of pretending to be a black Hornets fan and saying 'sons' all the time and posting gifs that violate our internet policy?

Pop: Don't you know we keep logs of internet usage?

R.C.: Uh... hey, Josh Childress! Let's offer a... front-loaded MLE... to Josh Childress! The Hawks, umm... may have... trouble matching... especially if... teams go after... Josh Smith! Yeah!

Pop: (rolls eyes) Why don't I just hire whoever runs that website to be my GM?

Das Texan
07-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I'd be quite happy with Josh Childress. Very good player.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
the hawks are in the same boat as the nuggets, they would have to pay luxury tax for 1 year, the year after thats when bibbys contract expires and including a few others i think....

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Damn would love to get childress... don't see it happening though... shows Pop and the FO are going after the right guys...even Kyle Korver would have been pretty good...

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 09:07 AM
We can't offer a "front-loaded MLE contract". We can only offer an MLE contract. The only teams that can offer a front-loaded contract are those teams significantly under the cap that could make matching an offer difficult for the Hawks.

If we make a run at Childress or JR Smith we run the risk that we lose out on the available free agents, while we wait a week for the Hawks or Nuggets to decide if they're going to match. I would prefer Childress, but the Hawks seem more likely to match than the Nuggets.

hater
07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
hell yeah. his Dr. Julius afro alone is reason to sign him.

jmard5
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
That man is pure hustle and is definitely active on the court. Get 'im.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 09:25 AM
We can't offer a "front-loaded MLE contract". We can only offer an MLE contract. The only teams that can offer a front-loaded contract are those teams significantly under the cap that could make matching an offer difficult for the Hawks.

If we make a run at Childress or JR Smith we run the risk that we lose out on the available free agents, while we wait a week for the Hawks or Nuggets to decide if they're going to match. I would prefer Childress, but the Hawks seem more likely to match than the Nuggets.

I believe timvp was referring to the actual timing of the cash payments under the contract.

Big P
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53311/20080701/hawks_plan_to_match_offers_for_smith_childress/
Hawks Plan To Match Offers For Smith, Childress

Jul 01, 2008 9:35 AM EST

The Hawks plan to match any offers Josh Smith and Josh Childress receive this month, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Smith and Childress are restricted free agents, but the team claims that they want to retain both players.

"We want to sit down and talk to [the Hawks] first and gauge their interest and see exactly where we are," said Wallace Prather, one of Smith's agents. "I think everybody realizes that Josh loves it here and loves his teammates and loves playing in his hometown. If everything goes well, hopefully, we wont have to talk long. But if they send us off to find another offer, then we'll have to do that, as well."

Smith is expected to visit with the Sixers later this week.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Perhaps we could throw in a 20% signing bonus on the deal. The total value on the contract would be the same as a full MLE deal, but with the bonus coming on the front end, that would essentially make the guy a $12.5 million dollar player for a team over the luxury tax.

wisnub
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
No Good Free Agents Will Come To Sa, Trust Me Guys.....(i Hope I Was Wrong)

We Need Consistent Additional Scorer And Defender!!! Please God Bring Josh Childress Here...im Desperate Spurs Fan

The Truth #6
07-01-2008, 11:41 AM
But would he help with our scoring problems? He's does a lot of things well, but I never saw show great offensive skills. He's a safer player than JR, but is probably less likely to leave his team.

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Let's say for grins that we got Childress.....do you think he'd start at SF with Bowen coming off the bench as a situational defensive stopper. Or would Childress come off the bench (and if he did, what would happen to Udoka's role)?

T Park
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Childress would start at SG alongside Bowen, Thomas, Duncan and Parker.

romad_20
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Childress would start at SG alongside Bowen, Thomas, Duncan and Parker.

Really? I don't think Childress is a starting 2 in this league, and that combo would have trouble scoring as well. 12 and 4 from your starting 2 sucks, but i guess that's still better than Finely:lol

picnroll
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah that some serious lack of scoring for a starting five.

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
lets get childress! probably my 2nd option after artest.

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Childress is not a 2-guard.