View Full Version : Wild, Wild West Has Ten Teams Fighting For Eight Spots

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
It's going to be a fun ride. :smokin
Love Garnett's take on it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-02-18-wild-west-focus_N.htm

Wild, wild West has 10 teams fighting for eight spots
By Chris Colston, Oscar Dixon, Jon Saraceno and Skip Wood, USA TODAY

The NBA's wild, wild Western Conference will be a sprint to the finish as teams position for a playoff push.
Ten teams in the West have winning records, and four made significant moves before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trading deadline. Only 8½ games separate the teams in the standings.

Kevin Garnett, whose Boston Celtics are 16-0 against the West and will do the Texas three-step in March with road games against the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks, says blame the Spurs for the frenzy.

"People in the West are getting stronger because of the Spurs," says Garnett, who hopes to play tonight at the Denver Nuggets after missing the last nine games with an abdominal strain. "The Spurs are the best team in the league. You don't have to go by records; they're the champions. Phoenix made their move because of the Spurs. I think the Lakers made their moves because of the Spurs. They're a strong team. It's what it is."

USA TODAY breaks down the top 10 teams in the West:

DALLAS MAVERICKS

Where are they: 35-18, third in the Southwest Division, sixth in the conference

What's next: The Mavericks entered the break losing three of four. The team has been in limbo since guard Devean George exercised his right to block a trade for New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd; the trade, in a different form, seems close. Dallas plays four of its first five on the road, including New Orleans on Wednesday and San Antonio on Feb. 28.

What they're saying: "We definitely need everybody full force and clicking at a high level if we want to do some damage in the playoffs. ... L.A. looks great on paper when they get (center Andrew) Bynum back. San Antonio is still who they are. Everything is really wide open in the West." — Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki

DENVER NUGGETS

Where are they: 32-20, tied with Golden State and Houston for the seventh seed

What's next: In the first full week after the break, they play the Boston Celtics and Detroit Pistons, fortunately at altitude at Denver's Pepsi Center. The Nuggets need help on defense and forward Carmelo Anthony said during All-Star Weekend that a trade for Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings would help.

What they're saying: "The West is getting back to the way it used to be. Every team in the West can make the playoffs, except probably a couple. It's going to come down to the last game in the season, I can tell you that." — Anthony

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Where are they: 32-20, in a three-way tie for seventh

What's next: Coach Don Nelson is wasting no time getting Chris Webber reacquainted with the Warriors' up-tempo style. Nelson inserted Webber — who hasn't played since June — into the starting lineup immediately. Webber's production needs to increase (averages of 2.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 13.7 minutes) as Golden State has back-to-back dates with the Lakers (March 23-24) and a three-game stretch against the Mavericks (March 30), at the Spurs (April 1) and at the Mavericks (April 2).

What they're saying: "People don't realize that C-Webb has like 10 playoff runs under his belt. The man's been there and done that. Having another veteran around with that kind of experience is a good thing for our young guys. We needed a stronger inside presence, and C-Webb is bringing that to the table." — Warriors guard Baron Davis

HOUSTON ROCKETS

Where are they: 32-20, in a three-way tie for seventh

What's next: The Rockets, who end the season playing seven of their last 10 games on the road, travel Tuesday night to take on LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. Houston did not jump into the trading frenzy before the All-Star break. The Rockets have won eight in a row and 12 of their last 13.

What they're saying: "We have to keep playing the way we're supposed to play the last 10, 20 games and wish some Western Conference teams lose. We moved (the) ball well, cut down on turnovers and played aggressive with confidence. Not just a couple of guys, I mean the whole team. The ... conference is hard now. I wish Devean George keeps blocking that (Dallas) trade" for Jason Kidd. — Rockets center Yao Ming

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS

Where are they: 36-15, tied for the top seed in the West

What's next: The upstart team of the conference immediately confronts a stern test after the All-Star break. During a crucial 10-day stretch, the Hornets play some of the best in the West — the Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Suns and Jazz.

What they're saying: "The future is going to be tougher. ... Hopefully we can stay healthy. That's our main key, stay healthy, and see what we can do." — Hornets forward Peja Stojakovic

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

Where are they: 35-17, 18 games above .500; 1½ games out of the top seed in the West

What's next: The Lakers have to show the biggest frontcourt in the West can be effective with arguably the best perimeter player in the league. Los Angeles acquired Pau Gasol six games before the All-Star break and is 5-1 since. He averaged 20.5 points and 8.3 rebounds in those six games. The Lakers have the biggest frontcourt on paper with 7-0 Gasol, 6-10 Lamar Odom and 7-0 center Andrew Bynum, who has missed the last 16 games with a knee injury.

What they're saying: "We're playing well. We haven't proven anything yet. We still have a lot of work to do." — Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.

PHOENIX SUNS

Where are they: 37-16, first in the Pacific Division and tied for first in the West

What's next: Phoenix made headlines with the acquisition of Shaquille O'Neal, who is expected to make his Suns debut Wednesday against the Lakers. The next two games come against the East's best teams: the Boston Celtics on Friday and the Detroit Pistons on Sunday.

What they're saying: "We have a shot now. Getting a shot is no guarantee of a title, but having Shaq definitely helps. I played center for four years, so I have his back down there on the post. All we need from him is to stay healthy and bring that leadership role." — Suns forward Amare Stoudemire

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

Where are they: 28-24, 10th place, four games out of seventh

What's next: The Blazers are the youngest team in the West. They will have to grow up quickly, with four games ahead against the Lakers, three against the Suns and matchups with the Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers. They are on a four-game losing streak.

What they're saying: "Guys were a little tired, a little fatigued. But in the second half of the season, if we can get everyone to bring it, we can definitely make it tough on some of these teams and try to make the eighth-place spot." — Blazers guard Brandon Roy

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Where are they: 34-17, tied with Dallas for fifth, two games out of the top spot

What's next: San Antonio won six of nine games on its "rodeo" road excursion going into the All-Star break, but the Spurs need point guard Tony Parker (inflamed heel) back in the lineup as soon as possible. The Spurs picked up Damon Stoudamire, 34, for backcourt help, and he has started three of the six games (averaging 5.5 points and 2.0 assists in 20.2 minutes) he has been with the team. Parker, the 2007 Finals MVP, is averaging 19.2 points but has not played since Jan. 28.

What they're saying: "I don't want to go into the playoffs seeded sixth, seventh or eighth, because the teams are so much better. It's a significantly more competitive situation. It's great for fans and hard on coaches." — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich

UTAH JAZZ

Where are they: 34-19, three games out of first in the conference and 1½ from eighth.

What's next: Utah's big move didn't get the attention of the Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'Neal trades, but the Jazz are 18-3 since acquiring outside-shooting Kyle Korver from the Philadelphia 76ers. They will have to play back-to-back games twice in a six-day span from Friday to Feb. 27.

What they're saying: "We were having trouble with zone defenses. Having (Korver) spreads the floor out and teams can't zone us as much; they get afraid to do that when he comes in the game. We have some weapons from outside now, and it opens things up for the pick-and-roll." — Jazz guard Deron Williams

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Damn, I like it better when the Spurs go under the radar. I think this year's Celtics are the 2006 Mavs to the Spurs. They match up surprisingly well against us :depressed

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I think the team that is most under the radar this season is the Pistons. I think they are a lot more dangerous this year than people give them credit for. Their bench is deeper than it has been in years with their young guns playing very well.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Damn, I like it better when the Spurs go under the radar. I think this year's Celtics are the 2006 Mavs to the Spurs. They match up surprisingly well against us :depressed

What I wanna see is what the Celtics do with Parker.

Garnett is a good defender, but I can't seem him intimidating Parker from getting into the lane.

clubalien
02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
"I don't want to go into the playoffs seeded sixth, seventh or eighth, because the teams are so much better. It's a significantly more competitive situation and that is why we traded for ron." — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:48 AM
What I wanna see is what the Celtics do with Parker.

Garnett is a good defender, but I can't seem him intimidating Parker from getting into the lane.

Yea, but I think Rondo is a slightly better version of Devin Harris. He has the speed to keep up with Parker and will challenge Parker to defend him on the offensive end.

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:50 AM
I think the team that is most under the radar this season is the Pistons. I think they are a lot more dangerous this year than people give them credit for. Their bench is deeper than it has been in years with their young guns playing very well.

I agree.
The Pistons scare me more at this point than any one else in the East.
The Celtics are having a rolicking good time but they're not proven.
The Pistons are.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 12:51 AM
oh wow, I completely forgot about Rondo (somehow).

I remember thinking we did a good job of limiting his scoring, only to realize he still finished with 11 rebounds and 12 assists :oops

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 12:54 AM
And the Pistons are not going under the radar, IMO. Every single analyst or writer puts Detroit and Boston as the top two teams in the East...or even the "only" teams in the East if you want to look at it that way. :lol

And I'm sure other teams in the NBA look at the standings and realize how good the Pistons are...they're only 3 games behind the Celtics for the best record in the league. Unfortunately for them, they're gonna end up with a 2nd round matchup against the Cavs again while the Celtics will probably breeze through to the ECF.

duncan228
02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I was thinking about LeBron this weekend.

If, (big if), he can get through the East, he's going to be a handful.
Can you imagine how pissed off he has to be that he got to the big stage, got swept, and watched the Trophy handed out on his court?
Don't under estimate motive.
LeBron is pissed off.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 12:59 AM
And the Pistons are not going under the radar, IMO. Every single analyst or writer puts Detroit and Boston as the top two teams in the East...or even the "only" teams in the East if you want to look at it that way. :lol

And I'm sure other teams in the NBA look at the standings and realize how good the Pistons are...they're only 3 games behind the Celtics for the best record in the league. Unfortunately for them, they're gonna end up with a 2nd round matchup against the Cavs again while the Celtics will probably breeze through to the ECF.

Well, I mean it feels like no one is really talking about the Pistons going all the way this year. I mostly hear the Celtics coming out of the east, and it being a coin toss between Lakers/Spurs/Suns.

I think the Pistons have what it takes to knock off the Celtics probably better than the Spurs do.

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 01:04 AM
:lol Well I guess I've been listening to something else because everyone I listen to or articles I read say toss up between Celts and Pistons in East and Lakers/Spurs/Suns/Jazz/Mavs/Hornets in West. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2008, 01:05 AM
I might need to stay away from Canadian sport analysts :lol

I mean they do think Calderon is a top 5 PG this season

(and yeah, great season for him, but top 5 pg in the league is pushing it)

DaDakota
02-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Some team might win 50 games in the West and not make the playoffs, that is crazy.

DD

mikejones99
02-19-2008, 01:11 AM
utah mormons are still hot

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Some team might win 50 games in the West and not make the playoffs, that is crazy.

DD

:lol Yea, I said the exact same thing in another thread. What's more, teams like the Mavs and Spurs are 2 games out of the #1 spot and about 2.5 games out of the playoffs all together right now! :wow

And in the East, my Sixers are sub .500, went on a mini 5 game winning streak and all of a sudden are the 8th seed! :lol

BonnerDynasty
02-19-2008, 01:39 AM
I was thinking about LeBron this weekend.

If, (big if), he can get through the East, he's going to be a handful.
Can you imagine how pissed off he has to be that he got to the big stage, got swept, and watched the Trophy handed out on his court?
Don't under estimate motive.
LeBron is pissed off.

They are still noobs and Lebroom won't beat Spurs by himself no matter how good he is.

I HOPE we get to play Boston in playoffs. That'd mean we got through the west :clap

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-19-2008, 01:56 AM
It's going to be a fun ride. :smokin
Love Garnett's take on it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-02-18-wild-west-focus_N.htm

Kevin Garnett, whose Boston Celtics are 16-0 against the West and will do the Texas three-step in March with road games against the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks, says blame the Spurs for the frenzy.

"People in the West are getting stronger because of the Spurs," says Garnett, who hopes to play tonight at the Denver Nuggets after missing the last nine games with an abdominal strain. "The Spurs are the best team in the league. You don't have to go by records; they're the champions. Phoenix made their move because of the Spurs. I think the Lakers made their moves because of the Spurs. They're a strong team. It's what it is."

I'd like to think both our regular season wins in January really did influence the proactiveness of the Lakers and Suns FO, because I remember both the Lakers (even with Bynum out) and Suns were doing well with their teams, winning convincingly against until they ran into us with Tim Duncan...:smokin

... you could even say, David Stern assembled the Boston Celtics to beat the Spurs. :spin j/k

Bruno
02-19-2008, 05:00 AM
It's more "nine teams fighting for eight spots".
Portland is almost out of the playoff race.

The fact that the WCF is so close could be an edge for Spurs.
Spurs could finish with the top seed while having below 60 wins.