PDA

View Full Version : Larry Kenon mentioned on TNT last night

Taco
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Did you hear Kenny Smith mention Larry Kenon last night when they were talking about the all time dunks

Charles said most of these people are too young and don't even know who Larry Kenon is

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/KenonCircle.jpg

Larry Kenon
Nicknames: "Dr. K," "Mr. K," "Special K"
Ht. 6-9
Wt. 210
College - Amarillo/Memphis State
ABA Teams: New York Nets (1973-74 to 1974-75), San Antonio Spurs (1975-76)
Left Memphis State after his junior year, where he averaged 27.6 points and 25.1 rebounds per game. Nets secured his draft rights from the Memphis Tams, who had drafted Kenon in the 1973 ABA undergraduate draft. Helped Nets to 1973-74 ABA title. Made ABA All-Star team each of his three ABA seasons (averaging 13.3 points per contest). In 1975-76, went to Spurs in exchange for Swen Nater. Participant in Slam Dunk Contest at 1976 ABA All-Star Game (Denver). Following 1976 ABA-NBA merger, had one of the most productive NBA careers of any former ABA player (playing for the Spurs, Chicago Bulls, Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers). Averaged more than 20 points per game for Spurs during their first three NBA seasons (1976-77, 1977-78 and 1978-79).

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2005, 09:48 AM
funny...most Spurs fans don't even know who Larry Keenon is...he is still living in San Antonio...blew his NBA money and works in the car business now...he was really good and had great hands...I saw him make a play in the old hemisfair arena that bordered on the unbelievable...the ball had been deflected by a spurs player and was going out of bounds...LK ran to the sideline and stretched out and caught the ball with one hand GOING AWAY FROM HIM and swung it to start the fast break....one of the most spectacular moves I have ever seen in a game...

samikeyp
01-07-2005, 09:52 AM
true. his daughter graduated from Clark a couple of years ago and was one of the city's best volleyball players.

ShoogarBear
01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Kenon was one of the first, if not THE first, power forwards who could lead a break.

In fact, one of the big criticisms of him at the time from the old guard (other than not playing especially good D), was that he would snatch the rebound and charge up the court with the ball, which forwards were not supposed to do. He was a pretty good passer, too, when he felt like it.

Still holds the NBA record for most steals in a game (11, tied later by Kendall Gill).

ShoogarBear
01-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Trivia question: what is notable about Larry Kenon's last college game?

exstatic
01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
funny...most Spurs fans don't even know who Larry Keenon is...he is still living in San Antonio...blew his NBA money and works in the car business now...

Wow. What a shame. Did he leave the Spurs on bad terms, or is there some other reason that a local ol'skool Spur doesn't have an Ice-like gig with the front office? Checking his numbers, he was basicly a 20-10 guy for 5 years of NBA Spurs stats.

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I don't know the dirt but considering the time period in the NBA I wouldn't be surprised if coke was involved in the decision...

Solid D
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Kenon was one of the first, if not THE first, power forwards who could lead a break.

In fact, one of the big criticisms of him at the time from the old guard (other than not playing especially good D), was that he would snatch the rebound and charge up the court with the ball, which forwards were not supposed to do. He was a pretty good passer, too, when he felt like it.

Still holds the NBA record for most steals in a game (11, tied later by Kendall Gill).

Special K played a lot of Small Forward in the starting lineup with Coby Dietrick or Mark Olberding playing PF and Paultz at C during those days. Kenon did play 4 with smaller lineup.

samikeyp
01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Trivia question: what is notable about Larry Kenon's last college game?

He went to Memphis State...didn't he set a scoring record for the tourney at the time? I guess I could look it up if I wanted to. :)

ShoogarBear
01-07-2005, 12:16 PM
He went to Memphis State...didn't he set a scoring record for the tourney at the time? I guess I could look it up if I wanted to. :)

Not quite.

His last college game was the 1973 NCAA Championship Game.

Against UCLA.

The game where Bill Walton shot 21-for-22.

There was actually some controversy because dunking (having your hand over the cylinder during the shot) was illegal in college at the time. Memphis State claimed that 7 or 8 of Walton's baskets were illegal. Walton actually did get four baskets taken away from him; he claims he should have actually been 25-for-26.

Solid D
01-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Not quite.

His last college game was the 1973 NCAA Championship Game.

Against UCLA.

The game where Bill Walton shot 21-for-22.

There was actually some controversy because dunking (having your hand over the cylinder during the shot) was illegal in college at the time. Memphis State claimed that 7 or 8 of Walton's baskets were illegal. Walton actually did get four baskets taken away from him; he claims he should have actually been 25-for-26.

I'd forgotten about that controversy, ShoogarBear. Great memory.

Solid D
01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
I do remember Memphis St. had two great players - Kenon and Finch. Larry Finch quarterbacked that team and really pushed it into the finals. Now "coach" Finch weighs what...280-290 lbs?

samikeyp
01-07-2005, 01:06 PM
my bad....I thought you were asking if Kenon did something. Well done, Shoog.

Solid D
01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Now that you bring up the UCLA v. Memphis game, look what I found!

http://www.memphis.edu/magazine/v21i2/73_kenon.jpg

ShoogarBear
01-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Sweet pic.

Kenon's form on his jumper, with both legs curled under him, never changed.

samikeyp
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Found this too....

http://www.dickscourtroom.com/jer2/kenon_jac_front.jpg

If they really want to go retro....bust these out! Or the ones from the early 80's

Solid D
01-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Found this too....

http://www.dickscourtroom.com/jer2/kenon_jac_front.jpg

If they really want to go retro....bust these out! Or the ones from the early 80's

They clearly didn't use Cheer or Tide with UltraWhitening agents back then.

Taco
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1973/0326_large.jpg

ShoogarBear
01-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd forgotten about that controversy, ShoogarBear. Great memory.

Ha. I'm actually old enough to remember watching that game, but I had some help in the memory department. Thank God for Google.

pooh
01-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow. What a shame. Did he leave the Spurs on bad terms, or is there some other reason that a local ol'skool Spur doesn't have an Ice-like gig with the front office? Checking his numbers, he was basicly a 20-10 guy for 5 years of NBA Spurs stats.

I think he had some "personal" issues, but he's since gotten over them.

rr2418
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
In NY, Kenon was overshadowed by Dr.J. Then coming to SA didn't help either, b/c SA is a small TV market, esp. during that time. I think Kenon might've been one if not the best forward at that time. But again playing in small SA didn't help him get the recognition he deserved. Like someone posted earlier, he could dunk, rebound, shoot, and lead a fast break. My greatest memory of him was when he would steal the ball and dunk the ball (statue of liberty style) starting at the free throw line, with his arm stretched out, ball in hand, and then WHAM!! NOW THAT WAS A DUNK!!!!!!!! :wow

samikeyp
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
and the 'fro flowin in the breeze the whole time! :fro

2centsworth
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
.most Spurs fans don't even know who Larry Keenon is...he is still living in San Antonio...blew his NBA money and works in the car business now...

First, there was no money to blow back then. If Larry had played these days he would make 10-20million a year. Most he ever made was $100k or so.

Second, Larry is super cool and if you talk bad about him I'll thump you in the head.

Taco
01-08-2005, 10:42 PM
First, there was no money to blow back then. If Larry had played these days he would make 10-20million a year. Most he ever made was $100k or so.

Second, Larry is super cool and if you talk bad about him I'll thump you in the head.

:lol

Give um hell!!! :lol

smokeycoco
01-23-2005, 03:07 AM
larry kenon career began with the new york nets 1973 when they were on long island.at the nassau coliseum. larry then was absorbed into the nba from the aba and went to san antonio. None of you guys remember he later wen to the bulls (jerry sloan was his coach)
where his career ended is still quite a mystery because he was sent out milwaukee bucks and the story stops there.
Anyone know why he was A no show with the bucks
You talk about money the aba did not pay them well unless you where Dr. j - and what issues did he have - word is he also has since changed his name - married and still resides in san antonio with three daughters all of whom are avid volleyball players :fro :fro
The only thing that you seem to have correct is that he played one time in San Antonio

smokeycoco
01-23-2005, 03:21 AM
maybe someone could tell me why kenon's # 35 was never retired by the
san antonio spurs- why is record of steals in the nba did not go into the basketball hall of fame

just curious

:elephant

smokeycoco
01-23-2005, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=smokeycoco][SIZE=7][[COLOR=DarkRed]B]larry kenon career began with the new york nets 1973 when they were on long island.at the nassau coliseum. larry then was absorbed into the nba from the aba and went to san antonio. None of you guys remember he later went to the bulls (jerry sloan was his coach)
where his career ended is still quite a mystery because he was sent out milwaukee bucks and the story stops there.
Anyone know why he was A no show with the bucks
You talk about money the aba did not pay them well unless you where Dr. j - and what issues did he have - word is he also has since changed his name - married and still resides in san antonio with three daughters all of whom are avid volleyball players :fro :fro
The only thing that you seem to have correct is that he played one time in San Antonio

ShoogarBear
01-23-2005, 07:25 AM
larry kenon career began with the new york nets 1973 when they were on long island.at the nassau coliseum. larry then was absorbed into the nba from the aba and went to san antonio.

Completely wrong. Kenon was traded to the Spurs before the 1976 season in a mega-deal that also involved Billy Paultz, Mike Gale, Swen Nater, and Rich Jones. He played for the Spurs for a year and was part of the team when the went into the NBA.

Here's a suggestion: before you come into a goup and start telling people what they don't know:

a) learn to post in a readable fashion. Any 12-year old can tell you how.

b) actually have your facts straight.

Im Here Huckleberry
01-23-2005, 07:55 AM
http://www.memphis.edu/magazine/v21i2/73_kenon.jpg

How bout the mad hops Walton had back in the day...