PDA

View Full Version : Vecsey: Dishin' The Dirk

ElNono
02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
DISHIN' THE DIRK
AVERY'S NO FAN OF CENTER'S LEADERSHIP

February 19, 2008 -- NEW ORLEANS - I was starting to think Jason Kidd would get back together with Joumana before the Mavericks.
While the NBA ensured everything was on the up-and-up (yeah, right!) regarding Keith Van Horn (salvaged from the league's well-stocked free-agent mothball fleet) before approving the Nets-Mavs trade, I'm here to tell you the move on Kidd has as much to do with Avery Johnson's dissatisfaction with Dirk Nowitzki as a leader as with Devin Harris' point-guard shortcomings.
According to an infallible source, the Mavericks' coach pressed team owner Mark Cuban to deal Dirk after the NBA's MVP came up shamefully small against the Warriors in last season's upsetting first-round elimination, but was overruled.
Johnson's ideal leader is supposed to offer positive guidance and counsel on and off the court, as well as in and out of church. That disqualifies Kidd. Still, one sphere of influence is better than none. Convinced a championship is otherwise beyond capture, Avery compromised his primary concern.
Kidd, of course, will provide a stronger presence than Harris, meaning A.J. will allow him to be the PG instead of trying to be it himself. Therefore, the players will have more comfort and confidence in the PG.
What the Mavs lose is team chemistry, giving up good locker-room guys for one who's just as capable of leading young players astray as directing them to the Finals.
They also lose Harris' capacity to move his feet fast. Ten years younger than Kidd, who's more effective guarding bigger people these days, Devin bothered Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Chris Paul and Allen Iverson, if not Baron Davis. He beats them to the hole, too, second only to Leandro Barbosa.
Four seasons ago, the Mavs had Steve Nash and Harris at PG. Now they have Kidd and Jose Barea, who isn't competent enough to be a backup on a title contender, and Jason Terry, whose mentality is shoot-first, think-pass-last.
DeSagana Diop, by all accounts, has not improved offensively in two years. At the same time, the Mavs can't help but miss his part-time shot blocking and rebounding. Erick Dampier's worthwhile contribution once every four games obliges Nowitzki to play center 20 to 30 minutes a game.
This is not good, especially should Dampier go down for the count for any length of time.
Meanwhile, the Nets will continue to wheel until Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline. Sources throughout the league say Kiki Vandeweghe is generating a heated rush of discussions involving Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Mike Miller and Nene.
Afterthought: I'd have bet Jim McGreevey would've resurfaced on a New Jersey payroll before Van Horn.

LINK (http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192008/sports/dishin_the_dirk_98342.htm?page=0)

ludda
02-19-2008, 09:23 AM
It's Peter Vescey.

ducks
02-19-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...dirk_98342.htm

February 19, 2008 -- NEW ORLEANS - I was starting to think Jason Kidd would get back together with Joumana before the Mavericks.

While the NBA ensured everything was on the up-and-up (yeah, right!) regarding Keith Van Horn (salvaged from the league's well-stocked free-agent mothball fleet) before approving the Nets-Mavs trade, I'm here to tell you the move on Kidd has as much to do with Avery Johnson's dissatisfaction with Dirk Nowitzki as a leader as with Devin Harris' point-guard shortcomings.

According to an infallible source, the Mavericks' coach pressed team owner Mark Cuban to deal Dirk after the NBA's MVP came up shamefully small against the Warriors in last season's upsetting first-round elimination, but was overruled.

Johnson's ideal leader is supposed to offer positive guidance and counsel on and off the court, as well as in and out of church. That disqualifies Kidd. Still, one sphere of influence is better than none. Convinced a championship is otherwise beyond capture, Avery compromised his primary concern.

Kidd, of course, will provide a stronger presence than Harris, meaning A.J. will allow him to be the PG instead of trying to be it himself. Therefore, the players will have more comfort and confidence in the PG.

What the Mavs lose is team chemistry, giving up good locker-room guys for one who's just as capable of leading young players astray as directing them to the Finals.

They also lose Harris' capacity to move his feet fast. Ten years younger than Kidd, who's more effective guarding bigger people these days, Devin bothered Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Chris Paul and Allen Iverson, if not Baron Davis. He beats them to the hole, too, second only to Leandro Barbosa.

Four seasons ago, the Mavs had Steve Nash and Harris at PG. Now they have Kidd and Jose Barea, who isn't competent enough to be a backup on a title contender, and Jason Terry, whose mentality is shoot-first, think-pass-last.

DeSagana Diop, by all accounts, has not improved offensively in two years. At the same time, the Mavs can't help but miss his part-time shot blocking and rebounding. Erick Dampier's worthwhile contribution once every four games obliges Nowitzki to play center 20 to 30 minutes a game.

This is not good, especially should Dampier go down for the count for any length of time.

Meanwhile, the Nets will continue to wheel until Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline. Sources throughout the league say Kiki Vandeweghe is generating a heated rush of discussions involving Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Mike Miller and Nene.

Afterthought: I'd have bet Jim McGreevey would've resurfaced on a New Jersey payroll before Van Horn.

With Kidd apparently spoken for, the player drawing the most attention from promising title contenders is Philly's Andre Miller. Nuggets, Cavaliers and Rockets are sincere suitors - Celtics feel they're first in line for Sam Cassell - but not serious enough to offer more than expiring contracts and a first-round pick in the 20s.

That ain't gonna pry away the 31-year-old miniature version of Chet Walker (can't jump, uncanny at getting opponents off their feet with little head fakes) from the 76ers. Miller can be had, but the exchange rate is quality.

Contrary to a report, the Nuggets don't have the slightest interest in obtaining Zach Randolph. Never did. Dis miss the Ron Artest talk to Denver, too, despite Carmelo Anthony publicly campaigning for him. Between the lines he's attrac tive. Between us, the decision- mak ers feel he's a bad fit with Allen Iver son, Anthony and J.R. Smith. You can have one wild card, two at most. Four and you've got the Pacers of three seasons ago.

As mentioned, Denver is trying to move Nene, whose testicular cancer surgery is bound to keep him sidelined for the duration of the season. If it happens, it'll free up cap space (four years left at $10.5M average) to acquire Mike Miller. If not, obtaining Tyronn Lue or Anthony Johnson is an option.

Miller's head and heart haven't been into it since Pau Gasol left, maybe even before. Who can blame Kyle Lowry for being down? Grizzlies drafted at his position (Mike Conley) and then got a bigger point guard (Javaris Crittenton) than both in the Gasol sale.

I'm guessing Mike Bibby plays more than one game with the Hawks before being traded to the Pistons. Seriously, it was a great deal for the Kings-three expiring contracts, 11/2 years to decide what to make of Sheldon Williams and the WNBA rights to his girlfriend Candice Parker.

The Hawks made out even better. It's a two-pronged statement trade, Cuban told me. "It shows they want to win now [this season and next, after which Bibby's contract expires] and shows the city they mean business."

This just in: To secure the services of Kidd, the Mavs have offered to replace Van Horn with a Van Arsdale to be named later.

Ray Allen put his spectacular All-Star shooting spree (28 points in 19 minutes) in perspective: "It's defines my career along with being traded for Stephon Marbury."

At first, I thought Charles Barkley Fave 5 spot was a commercial touting his chins. An honest mistake, considering he spent the entire All-Star weekend in the French Fry Quarter.

Nice of Craig Sager to emerge from Kanye West's closet in time to do TNT's sideline reporting.

I won't have my final thoughts about Sunday night's All-Star Game until Bill Belichick sends me the tape.
http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192008/sports/dishin_the_dirk_98342.htm

ducks
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I believe aj wants dirk gone
he is is not aj type of leader

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM

what does church have to do with basketball? I agree that Dirk isn't a leader, but the more I hear about Avery the less I like him.

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Elson for Dirk!

ludda
02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Avery was also completely outcoached by Nelson and Riley.

stretch
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Avery was also completely outcoached by Nelson and Riley.
Nelson, yes. Riley, no.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Nelson, yes. Riley, no.
He was absolutely outcoached by Riley. Riley kept his team together even after they went down 0-2. As soon a shit went bad for Dallas, the entire team was in disarray and Avery resorted to finger pointing instead of keeping the team together.

ApolloCreed
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Smart move by the Mavs to hang on to Stackhouse, but losing Diop hurts.

And I don't see how Kidd is going to dramatically affect an offense when he just can't shoot.

sribb43
02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Smart move by the Mavs to hang on to Stackhouse, but losing Diop hurts.

And I don't see how Kidd is going to dramatically affect an offense when he just can't shoot.

it hurts but im sure the mavs would have vastly overpaid him in the offseason

stretch
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
He was absolutely outcoached by Riley. Riley kept his team together even after they went down 0-2. As soon a shit went bad for Dallas, the entire team was in disarray and Avery resorted to finger pointing instead of keeping the team together.
The Mavs barely lost 3 of those games, and while I never blame the series on officiating, the one call at the end of regulation for game 5 stole the game and the series away (the wade punch). The Heat won because they had all kinds of momentum going for them. Having a last second loss at home, would have killed their momentum, especially going back to Dallas for the remainder of the series.

Riley had nothing to do with Wade going apeshit all series, or Mourning (the second most important player for the Heat in that series) wanting the ring more than anything in the world, or the fact that Antoine Walker somehow got hot and hit every fucking 3 he would toss up (which is the most ridiculous part of that series IMO, much more so than the controversial officiating). Those guys carried the Heat game after game making all kinds of outrageous plays.

Avery didn't coach great, but Riley did not outcoach Avery by any means. Riley is by far the most overrated, POS coach in NBA history. He rides great players more than Phil Jackson does. At least PJ decided to rebuild the Lakers, and has done a solid job. But as soon as shit goes bad, Riley jumps ship like a little bitch.

Fuck Pat Riley.

Bob Lanier
02-19-2008, 11:15 AM
At first, I thought Charles Barkley Fave 5 spot was a commercial touting his chins. An honest mistake, considering he spent the entire All-Star weekend in the French Fry Quarter.
Ooooooh, ....

snap?

endrity
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't believe Vecsey at all.

But, in the unlikely case this is true, it says a lot more about Avery than it does about Dirk. He got outcoached, outthough, outschemed and out-everythinged by Nellie. The fact that you don't know what to do on offense when you star player is triple teamed, or that you can't get him the ball in a decent post up, says very much about what kind of a coach you are.

Against the Heat he wasn't outcoached, but him moving the team after game 4 did not reflect any security on the team.

Shank
02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
It's Peter Fucking Vescey. I know 8 year olds with more credibility.

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I believe it! I called that! I knew eventually Avery would tire of Dirk.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I believe it! I called that! I knew eventually Avery would tire of Dirk.
1) Right off the bat he calls Dirk a center. Credibility goes out the window when you don't even know the guy's fucking position.

2) Shouldn't you be more worried about what Rick Adelman thinks of Yao?

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
1) Right off the bat he calls Dirk a center. Credibility goes out the window when you don't even know the guy's fucking position.

2) Shouldn't you be more worried about what Rick Adelman thinks of Yao?

No I believe that Avery wants a more dominant player in the post. He's always been stuck on Tim duncan types. I always thought that it would come down to Avery or Dirk one day. Doesn't make it true but that something I always thought would happen.

stretch
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
No I believe that Avery wants a more dominant player in the post. He's always been stuck on Tim duncan types. I always thought that it would come down to Avery or Dirk one day. Doesn't make it true but that something I always thought would happen.
You also thought and said that T-Mac and Yao would be winning titles by now.

Shows how much credibility you have...

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 12:48 PM
You also thought and said that T-Mac and Yao would be winning titles by now.

Shows how much credibility you have...

Yeah, I suck on predictions. No argument there. That's why I try to stay away from them.

SenorSpur
02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry dudes. Avery is full of shit. It's no secret that Dirk has NEVER had that type of personality. Sure he came up small against the Warriors, but he is what he is. AJ needs to assume some responsibility for being outcoached the past two seasons during the playoffs.

stretch
02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I suck on predictions. No argument there. That's why I try to stay away from them.
Your prediction sucked on this one too. This article is BS.

lefty
02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img258/7641/3stoogesanddirtcopyif2.jpg
http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img375/9420/timdirkcoyoteho7.jpg

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Your prediction sucked on this one too. This article is BS.

This is not a prediction, this is a hunch! Once again I haven't even read the article and Stretch, havent you been predicting the Mavs to win the title the last 4 years? Predicting is not as easy as some want to make it out to be. We can't all be Spursdynasty!

Xylus
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
It's Peter Vescey.

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
AJ can put the blame on Dirk all he wants, but AJ was a bigger reason the Mavs imploded the last two seasons. In 2006, where was his adjustment to the Heat's game plan in the last 4 games? In 2007, he pushes the Mavs too hard in the regular season and then the 1st game of the playoffs changes his starting lineup from what won them 67 games. How does that fall on Dirk???

AJ doesn't strike me as a good coach who can help build and grow a young team. Especially since he's trying to grow at the same time.

Sec24Row7
02-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Vescey is trying to fuck up Cuban's team's chemistry.

They hate each other.

ElNono
02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Vecsey hates everybody. That's what happens when you're a Knick.

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
yeah I really don't like vecsey. I can't beleive I'm saying this but I prefer Steven A over him

Spurminator
02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I actually enjoy Vecsey on NBATV, even though he's still full of shit.

san antonio spurs
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Vecsey thinks he works for a tabloid.
Anything he says has "little" to "no" credibility and is only for "shock" value.