PDA

View Full Version : Devin Harris: "I have a new future to look forward to"

ElNono
02-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Devin Harris: "I have a new future to look forward to"

Devin Harris is set to board a flight at 7:05 this morning. Destination, New Jersey, as the new point guard for the Nets.

“I have a new future to look forward to,” Harris said. “I’m looking forward to having a little bit more control, a little bit more freedom over there. I love my teammates here, so it’s mixed emotions, but I’m excited about the new challenge.”

Harris had yet to hear from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban or any front-office executives, but an airline ticket purchased Monday night and a scheduled noon appointment today with the Nets’ medical staff had finally transformed a surreal week of back-and-forth emotions into black-and-white reality.

The protracted negotiations between the Mavs and Nets that at times seemed like a Keystone Cops caper that might never materialize, has indeed brought Jason Kidd back to the team with which he started his career 14 years ago.

Joining Harris as new members of the Nets will be DeSagana Diop, Trenton Hassell, Maurice Ager and the lynchpin, the semi-retired Keith Van Horn, who will pocket $4 million to make traded salaries match.

The Mavs also will deliver to the Nets $3 million and two first-round draft picks in 2008 and 2010. Forward Malik Allen and swingman Antoine Wright, a former Texas A&M star who has been slow to develop as a pro, are headed to the Mavs.

Cuban did not confirm the deal was nearing the finish line for good this time, but he did suggest a teleconference with the league executives and lawyers for review was likely forthcoming.

Nets president Rod Thorn, who seemed to again grow leery of the trade’s direction late Monday afternoon, changed gears once the Van Horn situation had finally been addressed, and a few hours later Thorn said, “It appears to be a go.”

Kidd could arrive in Dallas today to take his physical, increasing the possibility that he’ll be in the starting lineup Wednesday when the Mavs resume play against the Hornets in New Orleans.

The remaining Mavs, including Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse, both in the original trade proposal, return from the All-Star break for a 3 p.m. practice today.

And for the stretch run in an ultra-competitive Western Conference -- where the Mavs are two games from the top seed and two games from the lottery -- the Mavs now have the veteran point guard they’ve desired ever since refusing to match Phoenix’s bid for Steve Nash four years ago.

Kidd makes $19.7 million this season and $21.4 million next season in the final year of his contract.

The Mavs liked Harris’ potential enough to award him a five-year, $43 million extension before the season, and coaches and teammates named him a co-captain with Dirk Nowitzki.

Coach Avery Johnson tabbed Harris the starting point guard after last season’s playoff debacle to Golden State. Johnson even handed over play-calling duties to the fourth-year guard and former No. 5 pick out of Wisconsin.

But Johnson later rescinded those duties. Harris, a quick, slashing point guard, struggled at times, but he had been playing his most consistent basketball of the season before suffering a bone bruise to his left ankle on Jan. 27, which turned out to be his final game as a Mav.

“I have no problem with Avery,” Harris said. “I tried to do what he asked me to do. I read a lot about him taking away the play-calling from me, but he really called the plays anyway. Still, he’s one of the most influential people I’ve had in basketball.”

The Mavs’ brass believes Kidd’s ability to read the floor, anticipate player movement and deliver precision passes will make the offense more fluid and make it easier for Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Jason Terry to get scoring opportunities.

“I look at myself as an easy fit no matter where it’s at because you don’t have to run plays for me, you don’t have to call my number,” Kidd said. “It’s just a matter of me getting guys the ball at the right time, play defense, do the little things, rebound and play hard, and that’s my game.”

Harris, who turns 25 on Feb. 27, is averaging 14.4 points and shooting 48.3 percent. His 5.3 assists are on pace for a career high as are his 30.4 minutes a game. Kidd, who turns 35 on March 23, is averaging 11.3 points, 8.1 rebounds and 10.4 assists.

While Kidd’s shooting a career-low 36.6 percent, with the Mavs he’ll be looking to create, which should make for interesting theater. Under Johnson, the Mavs have consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in assists. They finished last season 24th out of 30 teams. They’re 25th this season, averaging 19.9.

The Mavs do much of their scoring off half-court isolation sets. Give it to Nowitzki or Howard and let them do their thing.

“It’s tough because they kind of play differently than I do,” Harris said when asked recently to measure his game against some of the league’s top point guards, such as Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Kidd. “They’re getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It’s just not possible with the team I’m on.”

Kidd and, ultimately, Johnson believe that can change.

“I think Dirk or Josh or anybody else,” Kidd said, “it’s just a matter of being ready to catch the ball and score.”

The first time Kidd puts on a Mavs uniform will be his next shot at recording the 100th triple-double of his career. Only Magic Johnson (138) and Oscar Robertson (181) have more.

He might or might not notch that by March 8, just 10 games away, when Harris, Diop and company return to American Airlines Center for the Nets’ lone appearance this season.

“That’s crazy,” Harris said about returning so quickly. “I’m more about trying to get healthy and help the team. I hope to be back by then.”

LINK (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/480797.html)

lurker
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Good luck in Jersey, Devin. :( I'll miss you.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Have fun in Jersey, Devin. Too bad it took you three and a half years to develop into something more than a bench role player.

clambake
02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
oh no, we're back to having the "3 Jays".

thispego
02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
yep. looks like thispego was right all along in labeling Devin Harris as a scrub.

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I just don't see the Mavs being better with Jason Kidd. Devin Harris is younger ,faster, a better defender,shooter, penetrator, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Jason is a better floor general, but thats it. I hated playing the Mavs because of Devin more than anyone else. The havoc he would create for our defense would always be a fucking nuisance, and he was traded away for what? A wifebeating old man whos' teams haven't done anything in 5 or 6 years. :dizzy It just does not make sense. This move makes me hate Avery Johnson a little more. :madrun Oh, one more Question. When has Jason kidd ever made the players around him any better? I'll bet his ex-Net teammates can answer that.This was just bad buisness.

mardigan
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Oh, one more Question. When has Jason kidd ever made the players around him any better? I'll bet his ex-Net teammates can answer that.This was just bad buisness.
:dizzy
So you new to this basketball thing?

ludda
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I just don't see the Mavs being better with Jason Kidd. Devin Harris is younger ,faster, a better defender,shooter, penetrator, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Jason is a better floor general, but thats it. I hated playing the Mavs because of Devin more than anyone else. The havoc he would create for our defense would always be a fucking nuisance, and he was traded away for what? A wifebeating old man whos' teams haven't done anything in 5 or 6 years. :dizzy It just does not make sense. This move makes me hate Avery Johnson a little more. :madrun Oh, one more Question. When has Jason kidd ever made the players around him any better? I'll bet his ex-Net teammates can answer that.This was just bad buisness.

you obviously know nothing about basketball. Stop while you can.

Stop downgrading a HOF pg and overrating Devin Harris.

1Parker1
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Harris is actually a good fit for New Jersey I think. His game better compliments Carter and Jefferson's than Kidd's did, IMO.

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
you obviously know nothing about basketball. Stop while you can.

Stop downgrading a HOF pg and overrating Devin Harris.
Well since i know nothing please tell me how Kidd is going to change the fortunes of Dallas. I would enjoy learning something new.

mardigan
02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Well since i know nothing please tell me how Kidd is going to change the fortunes of Dallas. I would enjoy learning something new.
Taking Dirk out of the role as the floor leader. Getting a guy with Finals experience. Getting a smart veteran who makes everyone on the court better.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
i'm sure you know a shitload about great point guards after seeing Rafer Alston & Steve Francis all these years.

ludda
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Id rather not waste my time. Go read the other million threads already on this topic and you'll see a variety of opinions, including mine. Maybe pick up a book on basketball 101, you may learn that there's such a thing called "intangibles"

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Taking Dirk out of the role as the floor leader. Getting a guy with Finals experience. Getting a smart veteran who makes everyone on the court better.
Thats all i'm asking. How does he make them better?

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I gave valid reasons for my opinion. Saying he makes them better just because is not an answer.

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
i'm sure you know a shitload about great point guards after seeing Rafer Alston & Steve Francis all these years.
They suck but it doesn't answer anything.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I gave valid reasons for my opinion. Saying he makes them better just because is not an answer.
Think of Steve Francis, then think of the exact opposite of what Francis does.

ludda
02-19-2008, 02:50 PM

:lmao

youre "valid" reasons: wifebeater, old, doesnt make anyone better.

What are you, a bitter Mavs fan?

T Park
02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Matchup better with the other 28 teams

matchup worse with the Spurs.

good move.

seriously.

Xylus
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Matchup better with the other 28 teams

matchup worse with the Spurs.

good move.

seriously.
I was really hoping the Mavs would get rid of Jason Terry. That guy rapes us everytime.

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Who are most point guards going to have a problem guarding Devin Harris or Jason Kidd? Who is going to give your defensive rotations a workout? Who would you rather leave open for a shot? Who is the better defender? Who has the speed to keep up with the Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Chris Paul,etc.,etc.,? Who is still developing into a better player? Whos contract won't cripple your team?One answer: Devin Harris.

baseline bum
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Thats all i'm asking. How does he make them better?

see Kenyon Martin

stretch
02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Who are most point guards going to have a problem guarding Devin Harris or Jason Kidd? Who is going to give your defensive rotations a workout? Who would you rather leave open for a shot? Who is the better defender? Who has the speed to keep up with the Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Chris Paul,etc.,etc.,? Who is still developing into a better player? Whos contract won't cripple your team?One answer: Devin Harris.
Who is a fucking moron? Who doesn't ever have a clue what the hell he is talking about? Who needs to be pinked?

One answer: The Franchise

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 04:08 PM

you forgot who is not a 35 year old aging PG. all good points and agree with most of it.

Also, Dallas core team has as much or more experience in NBA playoffs/finals than Kidd. I don't know why ppl are saying Kidd has more playoff experience than Devin Harris.

stretch
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Also, Dallas core team has as much or more experience in NBA playoffs/finals than Kidd. I don't know why ppl are saying Kidd has more playoff experience than Devin Harris.

Did you seriously just type that?

nkdlunch
Did you seriously just type that?

no I spoke to the computer. it's a new invention I am patenting

monosylab1k
I don't know why ppl are saying Kidd has more playoff experience than Devin Harris.
What the hell? He's been in the Finals twice and in the playoffs more years than Devin has been in the league.

mardigan
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone who truly believes that Kidd is not an upgrade over Harris is a idiot.

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Anyone who truly believes that Kidd is not an upgrade over Harris is a idiot.

I did not say he is not an upgrade. of course he is an upgrade. But not a Huge upgrade.

not to mention the loss of Diop. good luck with Erica Dampier vs. Spurs/Suns with Shaq

thispego
02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
no I spoke to the computer. it's a new invention I am patenting
how long you been a spur fan nkdl?

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 04:19 PM
how long you been a spur fan nkdl?

since I heard "with the 57th pick in the draft, Spurs select Manu Ginobili"

thispego
02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
since I heard "with the 57th pick in the draft, Spurs select Manu Ginobili"
rememeber when Jason Kidd made two consecutive finals appearances?

nkdlunch
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
rememeber when Jason Kidd made two consecutive finals appearances?

yeah, I also remember the East had really shitty teams back then.

Sec24Row7
02-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Goodbye you crying flopping bitch.

Trainwreck2100
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Had?

stretch
02-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Jason Kidd had a really shitty team too, and got it past other shitty teams. Now he inherits a really good team. Let's see what he can do.

lurker
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Goodbye you crying flopping bitch.
Was Manu traded? :huh

Sec24Row7
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Was Manu traded? :huh

Devin Harris is 5 times the flopper Manu is. Anyone have the clip of Jason Richardson teabagging him?

sprrs
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM

He won 12 straight games to get to those finals. Including the Pistons the year before they won it.

ElNono
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
He won 12 straight games to get to those finals. Including the Pistons the year before they won it.

He was 30 then, in his prime, and before microsurgery on his knee.
Don't forget also that the Pistons you mention were coached by Rick Carslile and didn't have, among other players, Rasheed Wallace.

I do think he's an upgrade for Dallas. I'm just not sold it is a incredible upgrade.

sprrs
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
He was 30 then, in his prime, and before microsurgery on his knee.
Don't forget also that the Pistons you mention were coached by Rick Carslile and didn't have, among other players, Rasheed Wallace.

Does the fact that he's 4 years older mean he's less experienced?

Carlisle is a damn good coach, and they were still the top defensive team in the league without Wallace. 12 straight wins even in the east is still 12 straight wins, especially in the payoffs.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
The fact that Kidd is so inept offensively (i.e. can't hit a jumpshot to save his life) will neutralize a lot of his strengths as a PG. You were better off keeping Harris.

ludda
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Anyone discounting Kidd is just trying to dismiss the trade. Was it a good trade for the Spurs? Hell Yes. I love it.

Is Kidd a big upgrade over Harris? NO question, if not for the very fact that the Mavs were seen as the pussiest team the league before this trade, but at least they have a chance to shed some of that. Who do you want running a play in the crunch? Dirk and Devin (their two options before) or Kidd?

ElNono
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not discounting Kidd. I actually was one saying Dallas needed to upgrade the leadership factor, and they did. But they did it at the expense of athleticism, and that's what I'm not entirely sold out about.
I'll give you this, during his better Nets years, he made K-Mart look like a superstar, and that's quite an accomplishment right there.

ludda
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
The fact that Kidd is so inept offensively (i.e. can't hit a jumpshot to save his life) will neutralize a lot of his strengths as a PG. You were better off keeping Harris.

Kidd has always been inept offensively, yet he's a top PG. hmmm

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Kidd has always been inept offensively, yet he's a top PG. hmmm

Was Devin Harris THAT bad? From what I saw of him he was definitely on an upward swing in terms of development. The Mavericks when fully healthy were a tough team to beat, I don't think they had to mess with their team like the Suns did who clearly didn't have a chance.

ludda
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Was Devin Harris THAT bad? From what I saw of him he was definitely on an upward swing in terms of development. The Mavericks when fully healthy were a tough team to beat, I don't think they had to mess with their team like the Suns did who clearly didn't have a chance.

No Harris is a great player, but I've never seen him so overrated before until this trade.

Mavs when fully healthy were a great regular season team. We all know how the playoffs for them goes. I think they finally realized they needed someone with balls on their team, who could run a play in the clutch instead of depending on Daisy Dirk all the time. To me, this trade helps them in the short run, hurts them in certain matchups, but was necessary. No one believed in them and they obviously didn't believe in themselves.

himat
02-19-2008, 07:11 PM
The Mavs have no low post players now. I think the Duncans, Sheeds, Garnetts, Shaqs, etc. are going to have a field day. Dalles's offense will be more high powered though.

Shank
02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
The Mavs have no low post players now. I think the Duncans, Sheeds, Garnetts, Shaqs, etc. are going to have a field day. Dalles's offense will be more high powered though.

That's quite an overexagerration of the skills of Diop. They lose their backup center and his 15mpg and they now have "no low post players"? It's easier to say they never had one before than to overvalue the presence of Diop.

monosylab1k
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
This is fucking nuts. We gave up an above-average PG who took 4 years to develop into a somewhat serviceable starter, and a 15 minute a night backup center, and added a Hall Of Fame PG whose court vision is still the best in the league, and we lost on this deal?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Interestingly the Mavs completed the deal that the Spurs attempted to do five years ago.

The Spurs unanswered prayer turned out to be a blessing. We'll see what happens with the Mavs.

If I'm a Mavs fan my only fear is that my team has suddenly gotten a lot older and less explosive. Similar to Phoenix, they're banking on winning a title in the next year or two by signing an aging superstar.

But anyone who saw Kidd running the show for the U.S. in international competition last summer knows how well he can run a team. He's a winner with a high basketball IQ. The Mavs have always had talent, but little leadership beyond AJ. They suddenly have that leader on the floor. It should be interesting.

mavsfan1000
02-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree man except with the comments about Kidd not making players better. I feel all things Devin does overall equals to Kidd's one dimensional game (though a great dimension to have). To add Diop and picks is a steal for New Jersey.

himat
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
That's quite an overexagerration of the skills of Diop. They lose their backup center and his 15mpg and they now have "no low post players"? It's easier to say they never had one before than to overvalue the presence of Diop.
Yes I exaggerated, but if you look at what the Mavs have at PF/C the list is:

Malik Allen (I don't think he will provide too much, but he might be a surprise)
Dampier (Out of this list he is the only one who is a "paint" player)
Dirk (Dirk is a unique 7 footer who cashes J's rather than playing inside)
Brandon Bass (He is very good for the Mavs, but he is not really a "big" man either)

I think Dallas can make it work, but it might be tough to go through Tim Duncan and Shaq without a little more help. We will see.

DubMcDub
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Let's put it this way. The Mavs have owned the Rockets for about 3 years now. They've beaten them every way--blowouts, coming back from 20 down, even bigger blowouts, etc. And it's about to get worse for your boys.

The Franchise
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Let's put it this way. The Mavs have owned the Rockets for about 3 years now. They've beaten them every way--blowouts, coming back from 20 down, even bigger blowouts, etc. And it's about to get worse for your boys.
I can't agree or disagree with you all i can say is time will tell. From a defensive standpoint we would much rather see Jason Kidd.

Findog
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Ok Jeff.

LazinessThievery
02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Kidd's hitting about 37% of his shots, which according to Joumana is also coincidentally the percentage of shots that he throws at Joumana that hit.

Shank
02-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah dude, we get it. Nice bit.

SAGambler
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Think of Steve Francis, then think of the exact opposite of what Francis does.

And that's what Kidd used to be....

It is amazing to me how people can still see a 35 36 year old player, as if he were still in his heyday. Kidd used to be a top player. Shaq used to be a top player. Now they are going to have to face guys that are almost as good now, as they were 10 12 14 years ago. Guys that are bigger, stronger, and more athletic than they were in their prime. Shaq facing the Bynums, Howards, Odens of the league. Kidd trying to guard the Pauls, the Parkers, even the Harrises of the league. Faster, quicker, still probably not even in their prime. Kidd may have two busted ankles before the season is over. Well, that is if he even tries to guard these guys.

Many NBA fans live on the past reputation of these players. They fail to see that after years of abusing their bodies and father time stealing a step here and a step there, these guys are semi shells of their former selves.

mavs>spurs2
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
^Partially true, but Kidd is still a top 3 point guard in this league regardless of age. No one's saying he's the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson, just a good point guard who will benefit the Mavs for probably the next two years before serious decline.

Medvedenko
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I like Kidd on the Mavs.....this year and maybe next.

ludda
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
The whole advanced age thing is overrated. You never know until you see a motivated Shaq or Kidd. And as for Kidd, he's still a triple double threat which I say is pretty damn good for his "age". Speaking of age, isn't Nash only 1 or 2 years younger but he seems to be getting on quite well.

And the Nashes, Pauls, Williams etc torch everyone on any given day. Including Devin Harris. I don't get where all of a sudden he has this defensive lockdown reputation. He did well against Parker but I do remember Baron Davis splooging all over him.

Shank
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Devin may not be able to play for the Nets for 1-2 weeks still. If the Mavs didn't make that trade, they might have fallen out of the playoffs waiting for Harris to heal.

monosylab1k
02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
And that's what Kidd used to be....

It is amazing to me how people can still see a 35 36 year old player, as if he were still in his heyday. Kidd used to be a top player. Shaq used to be a top player. Now they are going to have to face guys that are almost as good now, as they were 10 12 14 years ago. Guys that are bigger, stronger, and more athletic than they were in their prime. Shaq facing the Bynums, Howards, Odens of the league. Kidd trying to guard the Pauls, the Parkers, even the Harrises of the league. Faster, quicker, still probably not even in their prime. Kidd may have two busted ankles before the season is over. Well, that is if he even tries to guard these guys.

Many NBA fans live on the past reputation of these players. They fail to see that after years of abusing their bodies and father time stealing a step here and a step there, these guys are semi shells of their former selves.

you're right, he's awful. PG's that nearly average a triple-double are a dime a dozen.

The Franchise
02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Kidd is a much better floor general than Devin Harris, but he can't replace Devins' speed,defense, or shooting. Devin Harris got a lot of teams in early foul with that speed. That alone is going to make it a little harder for the mavs. The proof is how they struggled these past two weeks without him. A lot of the Mavs sucsess came from Devin causing defenses to collapse because he was past their point guard and in the paint. He was the slasher for that team and now that dynamic is dramatically weaker. I could be wrong, but I just don't feel I am. Kidd would be great for a team like LA but not for Dallas. They need some speed.

The Franchise
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh yeah!! By Devin Harris getting teams in early foul trouble it allowed his teammates to be more aggresive in order to get to the line. In other words making them better!!! :p:

ludda
02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Kidd is a much better floor general than Devin Harris, but he can't replace Devins' speed,defense, or shooting. Devin Harris got a lot of teams in early foul with that speed. That alone is going to make it a little harder for the mavs. The proof is how they struggled these past two weeks without him. A lot of the Mavs sucsess came from Devin causing defenses to collapse because he was past their point guard and in the paint. He was the slasher for that team and now that dynamic is dramatically weaker. I could be wrong, but I just don't feel I am. Kidd would be great for a team like LA but not for Dallas. They need some speed.

You do know that the mavs were one of the slowest teams with Harris right? Harris fast but the Mavs offense was one of the slowest in the league.

The Franchise
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
You do know that the mavs were one of the slowest teams with Harris right? Harris fast but the Mavs offense was one of the slowest in the league.
Think about what you just wrote. Dallas was already slow so they shipped the fastest thing they had away to get better. OOOOOKKKKKK!!!!

monosylab1k
02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Think about what you just wrote. Dallas was already slow so they shipped the fastest thing they had away to get better. OOOOOKKKKKK!!!!
what does it matter how physically fast Harris was when mentally he was slower than the rest of the guys. Avery had to call out plays every time down the court and tell him exactly what to do with it.

maybe if you actually knew shit about this team your opinion wouldn't sound completely retarded.

please stop making an argument Rocket fan you're making yourself look like an even bigger dumbass than what seemed possible.

ludda
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM

Its their iso offense that they run you idiot. Again, please stop pretending like you know anything about basketball besides Devin Harris' dick.

z0sa
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes I exaggerated, but if you look at what the Mavs have at PF/C the list is:

Malik Allen (I don't think he will provide too much, but he might be a surprise)
Dampier (Out of this list he is the only one who is a "paint" player)
Dirk (Dirk is a unique 7 footer who cashes J's rather than playing inside)
Brandon Bass (He is very good for the Mavs, but he is not really a "big" man either)

I think Dallas can make it work, but it might be tough to go through Tim Duncan and Shaq without a little more help. We will see.

I already know AJ's plan against any team with a dominant big man.

double team and make everyone else beat you. The mavericks are going to look to run and set pick n rolls with dirk and kidd, and on defense theyre simply going to fill the lane and double whoever's posting up.

Against shaq or gasol, it might work. sadly, it wont work against duncan -- not only is he probably the best passer out of doubleteams, hes able to score over them. and parker/manu slicing through the lane for some easy ones against their less-than-capable mavericks defenders is going to be a ball.

You could say the same about the other two (gasol and shaq) but shaq isnt going to be doubled as vigorously because hes going to be tired and wanting to pass on a high octane offense like phoenix's. Gasol isnt going to get the ball nearly as much in the post and when he does get doubled, hes going to give it to bryant.

additionally, the man on man talent is dismal at best. dirk probably wont guard tim much unless fouls force him to. that leaves dampier to do the dirty stuff down low, and we all know how tim schools him pretty much every time they face eachother on the court. Hes also been known as having foul trouble consistently, so whatever.

who does that leave? some no name scrubs off the bench who get 8 mins a night in a blowout? to guard the best power forward ever to play the game?

the mavs should of thought twice about diop, Im telling you.

edit: part in bold is sarcasm before mavs fans wet their pants over calling brandon bass and malik allen no name scrubs, but it still applies

The Franchise
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
what does it matter how physically fast Harris was when mentally he was slower than the rest of the guys. Avery had to call out plays every time down the court and tell him exactly what to do with it.

maybe if you actually knew shit about this team your opinion wouldn't sound completely retarded.

please stop making an argument Rocket fan you're making yourself look like an even bigger dumbass than what seemed possible.
Your whiny bitch reaction tells me everything I need to know about how you REALLY feel about this trade. :) One more thing I feel Harris gave the Rockets much more trouble than you seem to believe. I can't wait to play your elite team again.

The Franchise
02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Its their iso offense that they run you idiot. Again, please stop pretending like you know anything about basketball besides Devin Harris' dick.
Look what we have here. Another ignorant juvenile.We will get to see your superior basketball knowledge very soon so don't say stupid things you might regret.

mavsfan1000
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
The Franchise is right. Harris will be missed as I believe this team is better off with a player like Harris than Kidd at 35. Terry is the worst point guard by far of those 3. He needs to be shipped as the offense is incredibly stagnant with him as point guard.