PDA

View Full Version : Proper Shaq Maintenance Required

duncan228
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/neal-star-one-1982678-suns-game

Proper Shaq maintenance required
NBA column: Here's a how-to guide for the Phoenix Suns to consult as they try to help Shaquille O'Neal return to splendor.
KEVIN DING

Stop and think about the streak that just ended: Shaquille O'Neal was chosen for 14 consecutive All-Star Games.

Fourteen years of excellence is some serious stuff – and it really could be 15 because O'Neal was nearing his maximum dominance when there was no All-Star Game in 1999 because of NBA labor strife.

But at 14 or 15 years, we're talking about the time it takes for a child to go from birth to high school. From birth to high school!

And in that context it gets a little sad to think about O'Neal's time passing. The guy who used to dive gratuitously after balls just for the grand theater of it – the reporter next to me on press row one night in Seattle paid the price when one of O'Neal's size 23s cracked his laptop screen – tried diving for a ball in January, hurt his hip and hasn't played since. Dwight Howard, so similar in size and speed to the young Shaq who also started in Orlando, even assumed O'Neal's beloved "Superman" identity in winning the dunk contest Saturday night.

O'Neal obviously planned on being chosen for the All-Star Game again this year, so he committed to being in New Orleans in advance. He had a promotional event with one of his sponsors there Friday. Then he showed up at an LSU basketball game Saturday before co-hosting a bash Saturday night with Saints running back Reggie Bush.

You can bet it wasn't a pity party, yet there's something depressing about anyone great winding down – especially in the personality-driven world of the NBA. There's no one starring now or even shimmering on the horizon with as big a game and mouth as O'Neal has delivered for so long.

An ego that massive requires maintenance as high as Pinnacle Peak mountain in Scottsdale, so Mike D'Antoni and Steve Nash have a lot to learn about keeping O'Neal happy and productive in Arizona. But in the spirit of trying to keep the legend alive – and to see if O'Neal can return to All-Star status in 2009, when you know he would love to be a proud participant with the showcase event coming to Phoenix – here's the abridged version of the Shaquille O'Neal Maintenance Manual.

There are five key bullet points for the Suns to follow:

•Feed him early and on the move. O'Neal, who turns 36 in a few weeks, is most dominant early in games, when defenses are shocked by his power and less inclined just to foul him. His greatest success in recent years has also come when he gets a running start into the lane as a means to deeper position in the paint, and this jibes with Phoenix's existing offense. The Suns usually run a Nash pick-and-roll and have the big man away from that action flow through the lane to draw the defense (O'Neal should get near the basket or draw double-teams this way), with the remaining two players camped out and ready to catch passes and fire 3-point shots.

•Keep it fun. The self-proclaimed "Big Cactus" now expects to hurt and needle people while in the desert, and he needs people around him who don't take things too seriously. Alert the public-relations staffers that he is highly likely to pick them up and throw them into trashcans. Warn the local reporters standing in the locker room that he might well bear-hug them and dance with them … while he's naked.

•Stroke that ego. Maybe assign Suns owner Robert Sarver this task, because he seems ready for the job. Sarver is the star-struck fool who went all atwitter over Shaq's celebrity and proceeded to reverse course on every Suns philosophy from basketball to budget. (In reality, Shawn Marion – or overly self-absorbed Amare Stoudemire, especially – could've fetched far better packages to shore up Phoenix's woeful defense.)

•Check the young teammate's ambition. Speaking of Stoudemire, he's the Orlando-born power forward whom O'Neal intends to take under his wing – yet beware the paint not being big enough for the both of them. Stoudemire just fired his managers and humbly explained to the Arizona Republic: "With my personality and aura and swagger, I've got a great chance to be marketed. It was definitely hard because I had established a friendship with these guys, but a lot of companies like me and adore me." All along, Dwyane Wade actually aspired to become a Hollywood movie star, but he wisely muted that angle in Miami to assume a role as O'Neal's dutiful little brother.

•Don't embarrass him. This one will be tough to pull off, because how will the Suns keep O'Neal out of foul trouble with feeble defenders Nash and Leandro Barbosa letting penetrating guards jet right into O'Neal? But make sure to bench him down the stretch; these days O'Neal finds it more humiliating to miss the foul shots than to be yanked as a precaution. Yet don't bench him too early, as Miami's Pat Riley did this season after O'Neal didn't hustle out in pick-and-roll defense. A miffed O'Neal wound up withholding a lot more subsequent effort from Riley, eventually necessitating their parting.

m33p0
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
are we talking about a 36 year old professional basketball player here or a child with special needs?

Reggie Miller
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
are we talking about a 36 year old professional basketball player here or a child with special needs?

Both. He just swallowed the short-bus kid, but he hasn't digested him yet.

Bob Lanier
02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Feed him early and on the move.
That's an unfortunate choice of words for a preventative maintenance program.

Bob Lanier
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
On the other hand, goats.
http://www.owyheepackgoatsupplies.com/images/Products/Misc/Feedbag%20Mesh1.jpg
Goats.

m33p0
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
kinda like this?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2138/2277945246_19b7e83606.jpg

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/neal-star-one-1982678-suns-game

Proper Shaq maintenance required
NBA column: Here's a how-to guide for the Phoenix Suns to consult as they try to help Shaquille O'Neal return to splendor.
KEVIN DING

Stop and think about the streak that just ended: Shaquille O'Neal was chosen for 14 consecutive All-Star Games.

Fourteen years of excellence is some serious stuff – and it really could be 15 because O'Neal was nearing his maximum dominance when there was no All-Star Game in 1999 because of NBA labor strife.

But at 14 or 15 years, we're talking about the time it takes for a child to go from birth to high school. From birth to high school!

And in that context it gets a little sad to think about O'Neal's time passing. The guy who used to dive gratuitously after balls just for the grand theater of it – the reporter next to me on press row one night in Seattle paid the price when one of O'Neal's size 23s cracked his laptop screen – tried diving for a ball in January, hurt his hip and hasn't played since. Dwight Howard, so similar in size and speed to the young Shaq who also started in Orlando, even assumed O'Neal's beloved "Superman" identity in winning the dunk contest Saturday night.

O'Neal obviously planned on being chosen for the All-Star Game again this year, so he committed to being in New Orleans in advance. He had a promotional event with one of his sponsors there Friday. Then he showed up at an LSU basketball game Saturday before co-hosting a bash Saturday night with Saints running back Reggie Bush.

You can bet it wasn't a pity party, yet there's something depressing about anyone great winding down – especially in the personality-driven world of the NBA. There's no one starring now or even shimmering on the horizon with as big a game and mouth as O'Neal has delivered for so long.

An ego that massive requires maintenance as high as Pinnacle Peak mountain in Scottsdale, so Mike D'Antoni and Steve Nash have a lot to learn about keeping O'Neal happy and productive in Arizona. But in the spirit of trying to keep the legend alive – and to see if O'Neal can return to All-Star status in 2009, when you know he would love to be a proud participant with the showcase event coming to Phoenix – here's the abridged version of the Shaquille O'Neal Maintenance Manual.

There are five key bullet points for the Suns to follow:

•Feed him early and on the move. O'Neal, who turns 36 in a few weeks, is most dominant early in games, when defenses are shocked by his power and less inclined just to foul him. His greatest success in recent years has also come when he gets a running start into the lane as a means to deeper position in the paint, and this jibes with Phoenix's existing offense. The Suns usually run a Nash pick-and-roll and have the big man away from that action flow through the lane to draw the defense (O'Neal should get near the basket or draw double-teams this way), with the remaining two players camped out and ready to catch passes and fire 3-point shots.

•Keep it fun. The self-proclaimed "Big Cactus" now expects to hurt and needle people while in the desert, and he needs people around him who don't take things too seriously. Alert the public-relations staffers that he is highly likely to pick them up and throw them into trashcans. Warn the local reporters standing in the locker room that he might well bear-hug them and dance with them … while he's naked.

•Stroke that ego. Maybe assign Suns owner Robert Sarver this task, because he seems ready for the job. Sarver is the star-struck fool who went all atwitter over Shaq's celebrity and proceeded to reverse course on every Suns philosophy from basketball to budget. (In reality, Shawn Marion – or overly self-absorbed Amare Stoudemire, especially – could've fetched far better packages to shore up Phoenix's woeful defense.)

•Check the young teammate's ambition. Speaking of Stoudemire, he's the Orlando-born power forward whom O'Neal intends to take under his wing – yet beware the paint not being big enough for the both of them. Stoudemire just fired his managers and humbly explained to the Arizona Republic: "With my personality and aura and swagger, I've got a great chance to be marketed. It was definitely hard because I had established a friendship with these guys, but a lot of companies like me and adore me." All along, Dwyane Wade actually aspired to become a Hollywood movie star, but he wisely muted that angle in Miami to assume a role as O'Neal's dutiful little brother.

•Don't embarrass him. This one will be tough to pull off, because how will the Suns keep O'Neal out of foul trouble with feeble defenders Nash and Leandro Barbosa letting penetrating guards jet right into O'Neal? But make sure to bench him down the stretch; these days O'Neal finds it more humiliating to miss the foul shots than to be yanked as a precaution. Yet don't bench him too early, as Miami's Pat Riley did this season after O'Neal didn't hustle out in pick-and-roll defense. A miffed O'Neal wound up withholding a lot more subsequent effort from Riley, eventually necessitating their parting.

Good article. I'm more intrigued about this signing than I am with any of the others. Shaq talks a good game and I'm really interested in how this works out. I am a firm believer that if there are any problems for the Suns with chemistry, shaq will have the coach fired and blame everyone else for their misfortunes. I can see him say, give me the ball, my team mates wont get me the ball, blah, blah, everything he has said on every team when dealing with adversity. Ought to be interesting and looking forward to seeing them on the court.

duncan228
02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Good article. I'm more intrigued about this signing than I am with any of the others. Shaq talks a good game and I'm really interested in how this works out. I am a firm believer that if there are any problems for the Suns with chemistry, shaq will have the coach fired and blame everyone else for their misfortunes. I can see him say, give me the ball, my team mates wont get me the ball, blah, blah, everything he has said on every team when dealing with adversity. Ought to be interesting and looking forward to seeing them on the court.

Lakeshow1, you read Ding's column's, don't you?
I know it's come up before, I like the guy. I think he's one of the better beat guys out there.
Here in Lakerland he writes about the other 29 teams as well as the Lakers. It's refreshing.

Chemistry is absolutely a big issue when you shake things up mid season.
And Shaq has a big ego, he always has.
He had the game to go with it once, it remains to be seen if he'll pull this off.

AZLouis
02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Speaking of chemistry...

Since the departure of Marion, the Suns have appeared to be a better team in the few games without him.

Hard to believe, but there seems to be a better effort on the floor from everybody especially Amare. The team looks to be enjoying each other and the game as well.

There were tons of complaints, gossip, rumors, and innuendo about this team that finally took its toll.

Regardless of whether or not Shaq fits the system or is only a shade of himself, the Suns' success is built on chemistry and the ability to have the offense flow.

Whichever Shaq they get will be better than any center they have had in years.

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Lakeshow1, you read Ding's column's, don't you?
I know it's come up before, I like the guy. I think he's one of the better beat guys out there.
Here in Lakerland he writes about the other 29 teams as well as the Lakers. It's refreshing.

Chemistry is absolutely a big issue when you shake things up mid season.
And Shaq has a big ego, he always has.
He had the game to go with it once, it remains to be seen if he'll pull this off.

Yes I do, I love his articles. He is one of the best in the business, and he doesn't deal with the rumor B.S.

I'm so gullable. Before the trade i said I wish Shaq would retire rather than play like he was playing in Miami. Shaq comes to the Suns and somehow I believe his talk. But, Shaq's a former laker that has done alot for the city and the franchise, so I'm giving him benefit of a doubt. Why, after watching him all season, I can not explain. :dizzy

duncan228
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes I do, I love his articles. He is one of the best in the business, and he doesn't deal with the rumor B.S.

I'm so gullable. Before the trade i said I wish Shaq would retire rather than play like he was playing in Miami. Shaq comes to the Suns and somehow I believe his talk. But, Shaq's a former laker that has done alot for the city and the franchise, so I'm giving him benefit of a doubt. Why, after watching him all season, I can not explain. :dizzy

It's called Team Loyalty.
For lots of folks Shaq will always be a Laker.
He fit the city perfectly, he brought a three peat to town.
Not so hard to explain. :)

And Ding is great, glad you agree. I wish he could get more exposure, I think he'd be great nationally.

TheNextGen
02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Speaking of chemistry...

Since the departure of Marion, the Suns have appeared to be a better team in the few games without him.

Just curious...whats the record of the Suns since Marion has left? Also what were the point differential?

LakeShow
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
It's called Team Loyalty.
For lots of folks Shaq will always be a Laker.
He fit the city perfectly, he brought a three peat to town.
Not so hard to explain. :)

And Ding is great, glad you agree. I wish he could get more exposure, I think he'd be great nationally.

So true, and what he did for the inner city youths was something I will always commend him for and give thanks, No matter what team he plays for. Twism played a big role for a lot of people during some very hard times in LA. :toast

If the Lakers don't retire his jersey that would really piss me off, along with a lot of Lakers fans who remember what he's done for this city!

Re: Ding,.. I don't expect him to be with the OCRegister too long, the guy is too good. Somebody will snatch him away from us one day soon! :depressed

AZLouis
02-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Just curious...whats the record of the Suns since Marion has left? Also what were the point differential?

3-2

Both losses were by 2 points (Hornets and Warriors).
Wins were against Seattle (+4), Washington (+1), and Dallas (+12).